Start by marking “Beaver Is Lost” as Want to Read:
Beaver Is Lost

Beaver Is Lost

Oh, no—Beaver is lost! Will he ever find his way back home?

In this nearly wordless picture book by Elisha Cooper, winner of a New York Times Best Illustrated Children's Book award, a young beaver is accidentally separated from his family. Follow Beaver as he's chased by a dog, visits a zoo, and even finds himself in the middle of a busy city street.

In the vein of beloved c
Published June 8th 2010 by Schwartz & Wade (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Beaver Is Lost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beaver Is Lost

Kathryn
Mar 24, 2011 Kathryn rated it liked it
Well, this one just didn't really do much for me... I suppose kids could have fun following the beaver on his journey throughout the city (and it's cute that a little mouse/rat helps him for part of the trip; that was my favorite part) but I could also imagine some being a little alarmed at some of the things he goes through (i.e., getting chased by a dog) though, of course, it all ends well. For me, it was just okay so I suggest you read the GoodReads blurb about this and some of the glowing re ...more
Melissa
Wordless, love the watercolor; someone else mentioned all the different kinds of water and I loved that too; lots to talk about together with this book! My main quibble is that it never looks like Beaver FEELS lost and he doesn't ACT lost...or at least, he never does any of the things that I do when I'm lost: never stops to look around, never comes up against a dead end, never backtracks or tries a different path, never asks for help, never stops to buy Twizzlers to cheer himself up. From the mo ...more
KC
Poor beaver travels from home, quite by accident, through the city, suburbs, parks, the zoo, and safety back home again! Phew!
Victoria Johnson
Sep 29, 2016 Victoria Johnson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: el-230
Even though this book does not contain many words, it tells a good story. The illustrations tell the story. You can easily follow the pictures and what the story is they are trying to tell. I enjoyed the book.
Rebecca Hansen
Beaver is Lost- Wordless book

Text to self connection: When I was looking for wordless books, I found this one and while I wasn't sure how meaningful a book about a lost beaver could be, I was intrigued by the cover because it has the Chicago skyline on it. I am from Illinois and lived in Chicago for 2 years and I feel like it is very much a part of my upbringing and culture I was raised in. The pictures were fairly accurate, even with the statues on top of the sign at the Lincoln Park Zoo were i
Tricia
Apr 04, 2011 Tricia rated it liked it
Another (nearly wordless--2 sentences) beautiful book by Elisha Cooper...this time a beaver finds himself transported to a city on a logging truck. Confused and lost, he wanders in and out of the zoo (seeing other beavers behind glass may not have been alluring). When he travels under the city, it is nicely handled, not a grossout. He finally makes a determined journey full circle. Children will pour over the frames of art that relay the story leaving much to one's imagination and interpretation ...more
Nicholas Ethridge
Wordless
The story of this book is pretty straight forward, a beaver is lost in what resembles New York City. At points in the story, whole page pictures of the beaver or the city are incredibly bright and interesting to look at. This is book of predictions because the beaver ends up in various different areas of the city. While Omaha isn’t the biggest city in the world, most kids will be able to make connections in this book to areas in Omaha. The story is simple yet satisfying to look through,
Travis Mueller
Jan 15, 2015 Travis Mueller rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
A random cute story I found when it passed through my work at the library. I like the quiet absurdity of the beaver ending up in the city by obliviously sitting on a log taken for lumber. The page opposite the words "Beaver is lost" captures the sort expression of one who was so thoroughly engrossed in something (nibbling on a tree) and who suddenly becomes aware that things have changed around them unexpectedly. Enjoyable throughout is how people are so strangely oblivious to the beaver, but th ...more
Karen
Jan 05, 2015 Karen rated it it was ok
I'm not usually a fan of wordless (or mostly wordless) pictures books, and books like this would be the reason why.

The story to this book doesn't really make sense, and it still wouldn't really make sense if text were added. Yes, it is obvious to kids where the beaver is, but it isn't obvious to kids (or anyone) why the beaver is there.

The illustrations are serviceable, but not particularly beautiful, stunning, whimsical, or in any other way excellent.

Jess Brown
Lately, I've really come to enjoy wordless picture books, and this one is no exception (well, the exception is that it does include 4 words). When beaver floats away from home, he's taken on a journey through the city and into town and back out to his home again. Spend some time looking over this with a child--I'm sure they'll get a lot out of it that your adult eyes missed the first time through.
Angela
Jan 27, 2010 Angela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Three words and fifty-some "essentially perfect" illustrations make this a Caldecott contender. Elisha Cooper rarely disappoints and this may be one his best yet. Reminiscent of Brigg's Snowman and the contemporary popular graphic novel format, these illustrations are boxed and sized in order to tell a smoothly flowing story of a lost beaver and his urban adventure. A real winner, by all accounts. Will be treasured most by Chicagoans.
Courtney Kilbourn
I chose this book because although it is an almost wordless book it still have a lot of action and plot. Beaver is lost and does many many things on his adventure. It shows beaver going to a big city, getting chased by a dog, swimming with an alligator, visiting a zoo, and many other humorous things. However, at the ending he is reunited with his family and everything is swell.
Janet
Feb 22, 2015 Janet rated it it was ok
I am a fan of Cooper's illustrations, especially his titles, Farm and Beach. However, in this almost wordless picture book the illustrations are not as detailed as some of Cooper's work. The storyline isn't too engaging, a beaver leaves his lodge, ultimately sees the urban landscape and returns home with the assistance of a small four legged critter.
Ashlynn Pope
Feb 02, 2015 Ashlynn Pope rated it really liked it
This children book was a beautiful representation of what it feels like to be adventurous but then to love the feeling of getting back home. This beaver went through some dramatic adventures and then accidentally found a familiar way back to where he was from. The water colors of the city and waterscape are beautiful and perfectly say a story.
Rebecca
Nearly-wordless picture book with comics-like panels tells the story of Beaver, who rides a log into the big city and eventually makes his way back home. I'm not quite sure the point, unless it's to show the foreign surroundings (if kids don't know what a city looks like) and that one can always find the way home safely.
Dec 02, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it
While I enjoyed the illustrations and the storyline to this nearly wordless picture book, I never felt like the Beaver was lost, more that he was overwhelmed. I liked this because it is how I frequently feel in big cities, and how children can feel surrounded by things they don't quite understand and aren't quite sure where they fit in.
Kirkus Best Children's Books 2010
Apr 03, 2016 16018 rated it it was amazing
This nearly wordless book is a great opportunity for your kid to tell the story. It's like you're on Beaver's journey, watching him try to find his way back to the river. He discovers lots of strange things in the city, including places that look like home but aren't quite. Readers and pre-readers alike will delight in the varied picture storytelling of this book.
h
Sep 10, 2010 h rated it really liked it
You can talk about the differences between city and country, how many different ways we use water (swimming pool, manmade swan pond, fountain, sewers), how beavers are the loggers of the animal kingdom, how logging sometimes disrupts animal life, how beavers live in zoos sometimes but that's not as nice as home in the wilderness, etc. All rivers lead home.
Melanie
A rather odd wordless story (except for one word at the end). The sequence of pictures makes sense, but how does a beaver end up in a big city in the first place? I can't think of a place where a logging operation is near a good size city.
Susan
Jun 20, 2010 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books-jp
Children will really enjoy following the adventures and perils of Beaver in this nearly wordless picture book. My son told me this morning when I asked him what he was thinking about "beavers and chinchillas". Go figure. And he hadn't even seen this book.
Kristen
Aug 23, 2010 Kristen rated it liked it
I like wordless picture books, and I love Elisha Cooper's art, so I enjoyed reading this one, but can't think of a way I'd use it with little ones, or even imagine a kid who'd want to read this over and over.
Lori
Jun 02, 2013 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, wordless
Nearly wordless. I reserved judgement until I shared it with my grandson who is 2 3/4 years old. He loved it. We probably reread it 10 times in one weekend. Each time we read it, we noticed new details, deepening our understanding of the story.
Shelby Deghand
Feb 25, 2015 Shelby Deghand rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book because it really leaves the story up to the readers imagination. There are so many different things that could have happened to the beaver throughout the day and the reader gets to choose. It is great to demonstrate creative thinking.
Apr 16, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
Beaver is lost in the city and eventually finds his way home. My favorite part was when he found a beaver living in a zoo. I'm not sure how well this would translate as a 'read aloud' but it's a fun book to explore one-on-one.

**Set in Chicago.
Kelly
It only has four words, so it's pretty much a wordless picture book. I love those because you can make up your own story every time. Great illustrations, too, and there's always another animal with the beaver, so it's like he's not alone.
Mary
This is a great book for narrative skills and print awareness. There are very few words, and the story is told through pictures. There are hidden words in some of the images, which are done in beautiful watercolor.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Jun 22, 2011 Randie D. Camp, M.S. rated it really liked it
This wordless book is able to captivate readers with it's beautiful watercolor illustrations, foreshadowing, and a happy ending.
Lesley Looper
Love the water color illustrations here, and enjoyed the different kinds of water represented. Nice wordless story.
Kaye
Jan 28, 2013 Kaye rated it it was amazing
A beautiful picture book, that is nearly entirely wordless about an endearing beaver trying to find his way home.
Lupine
Jun 28, 2010 Lupine rated it really liked it
Between this one and "Farm," I am starting to really love this author/illustrator. Lovely illustrations...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Chicken Thief
  • The Boys
  • Mirror
  • Sleepy, Oh So Sleepy
  • Where's Walrus?
  • In the Wild
  • There's Going to Be a Baby
  • Owly & Wormy, Friends All Aflutter!
  • Museum Trip
  • Forever Friends
  • Gem
  • Please Take Me For a Walk
  • Moon Bear
  • I Don't Want a Cool Cat!
  • Oh No!: Or How My Science Project Destroyed the World