Start by marking “Beaver Is Lost” as Want to Read:
Beaver Is Lost

Beaver Is Lost

3.52 of 5 stars 3.52  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  41 reviews
Oh, no—Beaver is lost! Will he ever find his way back home?

In this nearly wordless picture book by Elisha Cooper, winner of a New York Times Best Illustrated Children's Book award, a young beaver is accidentally separated from his family. Follow Beaver as he's chased by a dog, visits a zoo, and even finds himself in the middle of a busy city street.

In the vein of beloved c
Published June 8th 2010 by Schwartz & Wade (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Beaver Is Lost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beaver Is Lost

City Dog, Country Frog by Mo WillemsA Sick Day for Amos McGee by Philip C. SteadChalk by Bill ThomsonArt & Max by David WiesnerBink & Gollie by Kate DiCamillo
2011 Caldecott Hopefuls
37th out of 74 books — 137 voters
Chalk by Bill ThomsonFetch by Adam Glendon SidwellMirror Mirror by Marilyn SingerA Sick Day for Amos McGee by Philip C. SteadArt & Max by David Wiesner
2011 Mock Caldecott
12th out of 15 books — 32 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
Well, this one just didn't really do much for me... I suppose kids could have fun following the beaver on his journey throughout the city (and it's cute that a little mouse/rat helps him for part of the trip; that was my favorite part) but I could also imagine some being a little alarmed at some of the things he goes through (i.e., getting chased by a dog) though, of course, it all ends well. For me, it was just okay so I suggest you read the GoodReads blurb about this and some of the glowing re ...more
Melissa
Wordless, love the watercolor; someone else mentioned all the different kinds of water and I loved that too; lots to talk about together with this book! My main quibble is that it never looks like Beaver FEELS lost and he doesn't ACT lost...or at least, he never does any of the things that I do when I'm lost: never stops to look around, never comes up against a dead end, never backtracks or tries a different path, never asks for help, never stops to buy Twizzlers to cheer himself up. From the mo ...more
Travis Mueller
A random cute story I found when it passed through my work at the library. I like the quiet absurdity of the beaver ending up in the city by obliviously sitting on a log taken for lumber. The page opposite the words "Beaver is lost" captures the sort expression of one who was so thoroughly engrossed in something (nibbling on a tree) and who suddenly becomes aware that things have changed around them unexpectedly. Enjoyable throughout is how people are so strangely oblivious to the beaver, but th ...more
Karen
I'm not usually a fan of wordless (or mostly wordless) pictures books, and books like this would be the reason why.

The story to this book doesn't really make sense, and it still wouldn't really make sense if text were added. Yes, it is obvious to kids where the beaver is, but it isn't obvious to kids (or anyone) why the beaver is there.

The illustrations are serviceable, but not particularly beautiful, stunning, whimsical, or in any other way excellent.

Courtney Kilbourn
I chose this book because although it is an almost wordless book it still have a lot of action and plot. Beaver is lost and does many many things on his adventure. It shows beaver going to a big city, getting chased by a dog, swimming with an alligator, visiting a zoo, and many other humorous things. However, at the ending he is reunited with his family and everything is swell.
Scottsdale Public Library
A courageous rodent's adventurous urban escapade. -Monty K.
Tricia
Another (nearly wordless--2 sentences) beautiful book by Elisha Cooper...this time a beaver finds himself transported to a city on a logging truck. Confused and lost, he wanders in and out of the zoo (seeing other beavers behind glass may not have been alluring). When he travels under the city, it is nicely handled, not a grossout. He finally makes a determined journey full circle. Children will pour over the frames of art that relay the story leaving much to one's imagination and interpretation ...more
Angela
Three words and fifty-some "essentially perfect" illustrations make this a Caldecott contender. Elisha Cooper rarely disappoints and this may be one his best yet. Reminiscent of Brigg's Snowman and the contemporary popular graphic novel format, these illustrations are boxed and sized in order to tell a smoothly flowing story of a lost beaver and his urban adventure. A real winner, by all accounts. Will be treasured most by Chicagoans.
Jess Brown
Lately, I've really come to enjoy wordless picture books, and this one is no exception (well, the exception is that it does include 4 words). When beaver floats away from home, he's taken on a journey through the city and into town and back out to his home again. Spend some time looking over this with a child--I'm sure they'll get a lot out of it that your adult eyes missed the first time through.
While I enjoyed the illustrations and the storyline to this nearly wordless picture book, I never felt like the Beaver was lost, more that he was overwhelmed. I liked this because it is how I frequently feel in big cities, and how children can feel surrounded by things they don't quite understand and aren't quite sure where they fit in.
Kirkus Best Children's Books 2010
h
You can talk about the differences between city and country, how many different ways we use water (swimming pool, manmade swan pond, fountain, sewers), how beavers are the loggers of the animal kingdom, how logging sometimes disrupts animal life, how beavers live in zoos sometimes but that's not as nice as home in the wilderness, etc. All rivers lead home.
Rebecca
Nearly-wordless picture book with comics-like panels tells the story of Beaver, who rides a log into the big city and eventually makes his way back home. I'm not quite sure the point, unless it's to show the foreign surroundings (if kids don't know what a city looks like) and that one can always find the way home safely.
Beaver is lost in the city and eventually finds his way home. My favorite part was when he found a beaver living in a zoo. I'm not sure how well this would translate as a 'read aloud' but it's a fun book to explore one-on-one.

**Set in Chicago.
Susan
Children will really enjoy following the adventures and perils of Beaver in this nearly wordless picture book. My son told me this morning when I asked him what he was thinking about "beavers and chinchillas". Go figure. And he hadn't even seen this book.
Lori
Nearly wordless. I reserved judgement until I shared it with my grandson who is 2 3/4 years old. He loved it. We probably reread it 10 times in one weekend. Each time we read it, we noticed new details, deepening our understanding of the story.
Kelly
It only has four words, so it's pretty much a wordless picture book. I love those because you can make up your own story every time. Great illustrations, too, and there's always another animal with the beaver, so it's like he's not alone.
Melanie
A rather odd wordless story (except for one word at the end). The sequence of pictures makes sense, but how does a beaver end up in a big city in the first place? I can't think of a place where a logging operation is near a good size city.
Mary
This is a great book for narrative skills and print awareness. There are very few words, and the story is told through pictures. There are hidden words in some of the images, which are done in beautiful watercolor.
Kris
I like wordless picture books, and I love Elisha Cooper's art, so I enjoyed reading this one, but can't think of a way I'd use it with little ones, or even imagine a kid who'd want to read this over and over.
Lorna
The wordless journey of Beaver as he leaves the forest and has an adventure in Chicago before returning to the place he loves best-home. Love the references to downtown Chicago and Lincoln Park Zoo.
Heather
40 months - wordless books don't keep O's attention more than a couple of reads. So we enjoyed it and found the pictures and story cute but we're off to the next adventure.
Stephanie
Wordless. A very simple book with beautiful detailed illustrations. It has a nice flow and makes you feel as the lost. His other books tend to be long and descriptive.
Loren
A worldess picture book ... that has some interesting visual ques and hints. Although I like elisha cooper's illustraations, this one did not move be as much as others.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Something was odd about this book for me. Not sure. Illustrations were interesting, very low text, but something just seemed off. Maybe it was me?!
Polly
Very sweet! Beaver ends up in a city, having followed his log to the sawmill, and has adventures getting back home. Almost wordless, and very cute.
Colby Sharp
Their is something about wordless picture books that I adore. Beaver is lost is a nice picture book about a beaver trying to get home.
Finny
Mommy says: Almost no words, great illustrations, tell the tale of a beaver who mistakenly heads into the city. Happy ending.
Randie
This wordless book is able to captivate readers with it's beautiful watercolor illustrations, foreshadowing, and a happy ending.
Lesley
Love the water color illustrations here, and enjoyed the different kinds of water represented. Nice wordless story.
Kaye
A beautiful picture book, that is nearly entirely wordless about an endearing beaver trying to find his way home.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Rainstorm
  • The Rabbit Problem
  • Oh No!: Or How My Science Project Destroyed the World
  • Henry in Love
  • I Don't Want a Cool Cat!
  • Gem