Start by marking “Leading with the Heart: Coach K's Successful Strategies for Basketball, Business, and Life” as Want to Read:

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  843 ratings  ·  68 reviews
In his more than twenty years coaching the Blue Devils, Coach Mike Krzyzewski has made his program the most admired in the nation, with back-to-back national championships in '91, '92, and again in 2001, and ten Final Four appearances since 1986. Now, in Leading with the Heart, Coach K talks about leadership-how you earn it, how you practice it, and how you use it to move ...more
Published January 30th 2010 by Grand Central Publishing (first published March 1st 1900)

To ask other readers questions about Leading with the Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leading with the Heart

Jonathan Da-silva
Leading with the heart is a inspiring book made by the legendary Duke university basketball head coach Mike Krzyzewski. In this book, Coach K talks about the types of players he wants to coach, and what type of leader he want to be. This book taught me a lot it. It taught me to never give up, to respect everyone, and that everything comes for the heart. One day I wanna go to Duke university and play for Coach K, hopefully that happens.

This book is good for people who like basketball and want
Anthony Venturini
I read the non-fiction book Leading with the Heart by Mike Krzyzewski who is the head basketball coach at Duke University. I think that the purpose he had in writing this book was to inform the reader on how to develop good coaching skills as well as applying them to your everyday life, and allowing you to become a better individual along with becoming an even better teammate. In the book, Coach K talks about using your time wisely, and not wasting it doing things that are going to hurt you, and ...more
Tie Kim
Outstanding. My lone regret is that I wish I had read this book many years earlier when it was first published in 2000. Coach Kryzyewski opens his vault of coaching and leadership knowledge. I’m looking forward to applying Coach K’s principles of leading from both a managerial perspective as well in my volunteer youth coaching endeavors. This book complements the teachings of John Wooden in Wooden on Leadership: How to Create a Winning Organizaion.

There are numerous foundational tenets and menta
Nicole
I received this book from my high school softball coach. It has outstanding life lessons that I have used ever since. I re-read it every year before softball season and will be able to apply it towards the future. I love how Krzyzewski uses examples from his team and the business world. He has quite a heart and it shows by his former players raves about his personality and character.
Eduardo
I had higher hopes for this book because of what I know of Coach K's character. I was disappointed because there was not much to separate this book from any other leadership book written by a coach.

I did find chapter 12 (Celebrate Tradition) to be a neat insight into some of the unique aspects of Duke basketball culture. It is this chapter that reaffirmed my respect for Coach K and how he chooses to live his life and run his program. His description of the time he spent with Jim Valvano was also
you know, it wasn't as bad as i thought it would be. a coworker gave it to me, so i felt obligated to read it. i was finishing it while my parents were here this past weekend, and my dad aptly called it my 'homework.'

in any case, the most laughable part of it is that it's truly a book about Coach K and about Duke basketball and about coaching. And if it strictly purported to be just that, it would be fine. I even have more respect for Coach K now and his little devils (though I still won't root
David
THE worst book I have read by any coach: I am a professional College Coach. I have read Coach K's book and I found it to be the worst book I have ever read. The book repeats itself over and over again. Almost like he doesn't have anything really to say so he filled the book with filler. Nothing in the book made me go wow. Nothing was new to the coaching or leading world. Save your money and get a real book on Leadership.

I do not know one Coach in the NCAA world that has not read this book. And
Bobsie67
Coach K tells some very touching stories about his parents, his family, Coach Jim Valvano, and his players. Some practical advice is given on how to build a strong team, which the book summarizes at the end of every chapter as "Coach K's Tips." The book seems to fall a bit short in making a strong connection to strong business leadership strategies. You the reader needs to make all the inferences regarding the business practicality. Coach K's philosophy is easy to take and the reading is light. ...more
Dawson Reading
Coach K has gone through many parts of life and literally everything he has done, he applies to basketball, which also finds a way to other parts of life like business. He develops a very easy to attain sense of life perspective that many may not see. He attended West Point Academy and learned so much there that he was able to apply later in coaching. Everywhere he has been or done he has found a way to apply it for the better. A brilliant man writing a brilliant book.

One thing that really stick
Lindsay Gillingham
This book not only focuses on important lessons for athletes but also for life. Coach K emphasizes important aspects such as communication and trust that will help one become successful and then stay that way. I really enjoyed reading this book because of the importance that Coach K places on leadership and being a team player. Being selfless by putting the team before yourself is something that I strongly believe in and reading Coach K's words about the subject reinforced my thoughts. I would r ...more
Micah Smurthwaite
When Coach K spills a water at a practice and the manager attempts to clean it up. Coach K stops him, grabs the towel and offers this teaching point, "I want you to remember when you are the CEO of your own company if you make the mess you have to clean it up." Leadership is more art than science, and Coach K's thoughts on leadership are better than some Top 10 list.
AGC
I really enjoyed this book by Coach K and I definitely feel like a better person after reading this book. Of course, he gives a lot of the same advice as many of the business tycoons, like always tell the truth, look into people's eyes when you speak, remember your families and friends, don't be afraid to ask, etc., but it's coming from a different perspective. He's a coach, and an amazing one at that.

As an athlete and basketball fan, I was able to connect with the team and family. And the refer
Ben  Campopiano
Many people set rules to keep from making decisions. I don’t want to be a manager or dictator. I want to be a leader – and leadership is ongoing, adjustable, flexible, and dynamic. As such, leaders have to have and maintain a certain amount of discretion. Too many rules get in the way of leadership.

I really believe that if a leader is a stickler on high performance, on excellence, then winning games will be a natural by-product.

In building any winning team, it’s important to remember that the me
Aaron Rumack
This is my favorite book on leadership. Written for sports and applied to business, one can also modify the approach to extracurricular activities or leading other kinds of teams.
Cathy Allen
This was a really good one from leader with world-class credentials. Very few people can ever lay claim to being the best in the world at what they do, but Coach K can. I found his book to be clear and instructive. I especially love the way he weaves narrative with teaching. Each chapter ends with "Coach K's tips" which distill the lessons from the chapter into a few golden nuggets. Few leaders have ever articulated how they do what they do, decide what they decide. We owe Coach K a debt of grat ...more
Bob Schmitz
If you are interested in Duke Basketball this book has some interesting inside tidbits and outlines the strategies that Coach K has used to build his program. He is a remarkable man, has a remarkable program and the "secrets" to his success is not XX's and 00's but the way he builds and leads his team. As far as a book for business leaders to read to get ideas on how to run their businesses I think it is less useful. I would recommend "A Season is a Lifetime" if you want a good Duke B-ball book ...more
Tim
I thought it was just okay. Seemed much more like a memoir than "successful strategies for basketball, business, and life." I just can't imagine too many business leaders could translate a conversation with Christian Laettner into a new revenue-producing aspect of their company.

That said, I did love the insider details and individual stories about players and coaches. And I can obviously steal a few ideas and use them for my teams in the future. But overall, I felt a bit disappointed with the b
Mr. Pollock

Janet G
As coach-books go, this one is a gem. Loved looking into the heart of the man. A good man, a faithful man and a man of honor. I can follow that.
Josh
even if you don't like Coach K or the Duke Blue Devils, after reading this book I think you can at least respect the man and have some admiration for his coaching style... i haven't read too many books written by coaches, so maybe this is like many others, but it basically provides some practical advice to being successful in life, & there are certain pieces of it that might even be post-it note worthy for inspiration around the office.
Mike W
Loved the principles in this book. The illustrative personal stories of principles applied to basketball players in Coach K's career are important for the book, but not as specific to my interest in applying Coach K's wisdom to those I may coach, train, or advise. The extra star could easily be included here, but this rating is for me and my purposes, which were to pick up on the gist of Coach K's high yield principles.
Phillip Miles
Leading with the heart has not only lead me to another book complete, but alot learned from one man. He has taught me to understand and appreciate life itself. He compares the game of basketball to life it self a lot. Which is why I believe why we have the same understandings. This book I would share with any body who wants to be something in life and believes they cant be any thing in life. This is by far my favorite book.
Larry Port
Some interesting and solid ideas on leadership, but kind of a drag and too self-aggrandizing.
Mike
Perfect for me, I guess. One of the most inspirational books for a coach and teacher to read if you're interested in motivating people to work together. This book had more meaning for me simply because I grew up watching the Duke bball team during impressionable years...the years he pulls his examples from. Despite that, it is well written and well organized.
Carol Mosman
I love basketball, and I love Duke. I have always been a huge fan of Duke basketball. Coach K's life seems to have always been to lead with the heart. I have learned a lot just by spending some time taking in all of his ideas. It is a great book, easy read, and full of very fun memories of his career. There are also wonderful ideas for making life more heart felt.
Beverlee
While I am hard pressed to say anything positive about Duke (because I am a Big Ten graduate and a Pac 10 mom) - I did find this book motivating and inspirational and have a new found respect for Coach "K". Some very simple and straight forward ways of managing his team and his life. Easy to read and easy to remember.
Bob
Coach K's leadership model relies too much on his recruitment model to be of any value to anyone but another college coach. He will only recruit players with strong family connections with a life long respect for authority. Then...duh they are easy to lead. It was a waste of the few hours it took me to read the book.
Tedjimsmith
I really liked this book. He shared quite a few stories from basketball and has some great quotes when it comes to leadership. Coach K draws on his experiences growing up and his military education to create a winning culture at Duke. He has created a winning formula and it was insightful to see how he did it.
Joanie
Coach K as many positive experiences and much wisdom to share with respect to working with athletes and young adults. But, I found the repetition of statements and extensive descriptions of some situations to be a bit repetitive and over dramatized. I think this book could have been half as long and just as good.
Karen & Gerard
This is a helpful book about coaching. Every coach should read this one because there are so many practical tips that Mike shares and solid principles to follow. After each chapter is a summary of the main points. Mike shares from his experiences to illustrate his points in a very interesting way.
  • Wooden: A Lifetime of Observations and Reflections On and Off the Court
  • The Coming Aristocracy
  • The No Complaining Rule: Positive Ways to Deal with Negativity at Work
  • Outstanding!: 47 Ways to Make Your Organization Exceptional
  • The Winner Within
  • Am I Really a Christian?
  • The Return of the Ragpicker
Mike Krzyzewski has been the basketball coach of the Duke Blue Devils for twenty-seven years, winning three NCAA championships and twelve national Coach of the Year awards. He is revered and respected by sports fans and business leaders everywhere. Coach K. lives with his family in Durham, North Carolina.
More about Mike Krzyzewski...
Beyond Basketball: Coach K's Keywords for Success The Gold Standard: Building a World-Class Team Five-Point Play: The Story of Duke's Amazing 2000-2001 Championship Season Winning Hoops with Coach K on CD ROM Duke Basketball Series Complete Colleciton DVD

“In order to be a winner, you have to look for ways of getting things done and not for reasons why things can’t be done. People who live with excuses have things that can’t be done hovering around them all the time.” 1 likes
“at the heart of character is honesty and integrity.” 0 likes