Start by marking “Night of the Golden Butterfly (Islam Quintet, #5)” as Want to Read:
Night of the Golden Butterfly (Islam Quintet, #5)

Night of the Golden Butterfly (Islam Quintet #5)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Night of the Golden Butterfly concludes the Islam Quintet—Tariq Ali’s much lauded series of historical novels, translated into more than a dozen languages, that has been twenty years in the writing. Completing an epic panorama that began in fifteenth-century Moorish Spain, the latest novel moves between the cities of the twenty-first century, from Lahore to London, from Pa ...more
Published April 1st 2010 by Verso (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Night of the Golden Butterfly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night of the Golden Butterfly

The last of The Islam Quintet is quite a change from the others. It's set in contemporary Pakistan, London, and DC, and the narrator this time around is Tariq Ail himself, or his fictional doppelganger. The history is that of Chinese muslims in Yunnan, and their forced migration to Vietnam, Burma, and Pakistan; but the main story is that of the narrator and his friends from adolescence, now, at the time of the novel, elderly.

The central character is an iconoclast named Plato, about 10 years olde
Umar Shaikh
A quite interesting novel, if not a bit complicated with it's varied settings. The book starts out in a post-partition Lahore before jumping to London, Paris, Beijing, and just about every major city in the world. Ali has inserted various couplets of Urdu and Punjabi poetry, which give a sense of continuity amidst the changing locations.

The characters, too, are quite complex. However, in this instance, it plays in the novel's favor. The characters and their relationships to one another are ever
Buku ini adalah buku terakhir dari Pentalogi fiksi sejarah Tariq Ali yang berlatar peradaban Islam. Keempat buku sebelumnya adalah: Shadows of the Pomegranate Tree, The Book of Saladin, The Stone Woman, A Sultan in Palermo. Night of the Golden Butterfly berlatar di banyak tempat di masa kini, mulai dari Lahore, Punjabi, Fatherland (Pakistan), dan London, serta sisipan cerita yang berlatar China akhir abad sembilan belas, semasa terjadinya pemberontakan Panthay di masa kesultanan islam Dali di Ch ...more
Mahvash Chaudri
I admire tariq ali for producing such a brilliant book. Its marked with old nostalgia while looking back at events of youth and merry, revisiting golden memories shared by old friends..A dialogue set in past and present moments, from one city to another; with a common theme of friendship, betrayals and reunions..It's a treat for all those who love reading, I have not read anything like this before. Highly recommended! hats off to the writer!
This conclusion to Ali's “Islam Quintet” is a reflection of the descent of “Fatherland" (Pakistan) into its own special kind of hell. The book is a subtle and wide-ranging examination of home, absence, and how, at times, exile and expatriation become interchangeable. And underlying Ali’s narrative is a sadness at the loss of the pre-Partition cosmopolitan culture of Lahore, destroyed first by the generals and then by the Islamists.
May 23, 2010 Jennifer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Hamid
"Where Badshaai Mosque and Diamond Market-cold during the day, a furnace at night-in the old red-light district where some of the gaudiest courtesians' houses had been built by a great-uncle of mine. The old Royal district: mosque, palace and brothel all within the easy reach of each other and close to the river that no longer flows."

Poetry masquerading as fiction, illuminating the intersection of time controlling what can be seen and what is hidden. Love under the control of parents’ gaze, cult
this was a hard read for me, i really wanted to finish with these 5 books and ali who really didn't impress me very much. i think that my expectations were too great.

read at your own risk.
An interesting final addition to the quintet. I didn't realise that the author would move so quickly to modern times! And may I say there is some lightly veiled biographical refrences? Tariq Ali is as always an amazing writer. I can honestly say I could hardly put the book down. I ever read it while having a headache and curiously the headache seemed to vanish while I read! I can't wait to be able to put many of his books on my library and read them at my happy lesiure.
Iman Hasanbegovic
I was a bit skeptical about this book, because unlike the first four books of the Islamic Quintet it is not a historical novel. But I was amazed by this book. There is historical background, perhaps even stronger then in The Stone Woman, or maybe even Sultan in Palermo.
Tariq Ali has a unique capability of combining politics, history, friendship and love and put it all in such masterpiece of fiction.
Graham Crawford
I really enjoyed this series. Tariq Ali is not a brilliant writer, but he is a brilliant story teller. I found this book a bit messy structurally. The narrative was disjointed and the ending a bit heavy handed, but all the characters stories are so interesting, and about areas of the world I knew nothing about, I couldn't put it down.
The English used to describe crude punjabi expressions and sexual language are so much more dignified than in punjabi. Thank god for that! Ali weaves history into fiction so skilfully. Pakistani's who are comfortable with irreverence and able to laugh at their country as well as be critical about its wrongs will love this.
The fifth and last book in the quintet is stylistically different to the other four. I did not like it as much as the earlier ones on first reading, I felt Tariq was treading on Salman's toes or hanging off his coat-tails.
I want to read it again and reconsider.
I love the way Tariq Ali weaves historical facts with fiction! I cannot wait to read remaining three books that make up the quintet ( I read Shadows of the Pomegranate Tree and I highly recommend that book too!).
Linda Abuelghanam
I hate the language that is used. Does an author have to use so many curse words. This book is a hard read for me and I'm not sure that I like it very much...
I finished it and really didn't like it.
Safiyyah El-kher

The beginning had a lot of bad language but as the book progressed the content improved.
This is a fascinating finish to his Islam quintet. Great set of books
Benjie Deford
Not as good. But i think a second read worthwhile.
サラ サラ
Interesting read!!
Maie Aly
Maie Aly marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Yameen Rasheed
Yameen Rasheed marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Mohamed Kiari
Mohamed Kiari marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Jelena marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
Skanda marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Rohan Nest
Rohan Nest marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Beiza added it
Aug 29, 2015
Baran Özgül
Baran Özgül marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
  • The Venture of Islam, Vol 3: The Gunpowder Empires and Modern Times
  • Struggling to Surrender: Some Impressions of an American Convert to Islam
  • The Opium Clerk
  • Gaza in Crisis: Reflections on Israel's War Against the Palestinians
Tariq Ali (Punjabi, Urdu: طارق علی) (born 21 October 1943) is a British-Pakistani historian, novelist, filmmaker, political campaigner, and commentator. He is a member of the editorial committee of the New Left Review and Sin Permiso, and regularly contributes to The Guardian, CounterPunch, and the London Review of Books.

He is the author of several books, including Can Pakistan Survive? The Death
More about Tariq Ali...

Islam Quintet (5 books)
  • Shadows of the Pomegranate Tree (Islam Quintet, #1)
  • The Book of Saladin (Islam Quintet, #2)
  • The Stone Woman (Islam Quintet, #3)
  • A Sultan in Palermo (Islam Quintet, #4)
Shadows of the Pomegranate Tree (Islam Quintet, #1) The Book of Saladin (Islam Quintet, #2) The Clash of Fundamentalisms: Crusades, Jihads and Modernity The Stone Woman (Islam Quintet, #3) The Duel: Pakistan on the Flight Path of American Power