Start by marking “Night of the Golden Butterfly (Islam Quintet, #5)” as Want to Read:
Night of the Golden Butterfly (Islam Quintet, #5)

Night of the Golden Butterfly (Islam Quintet #5)

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  191 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Night of the Golden Butterfly concludes the Islam Quintet—Tariq Ali’s much lauded series of historical novels, translated into more than a dozen languages, that has been twenty years in the writing. Completing an epic panorama that began in fifteenth-century Moorish Spain, the latest novel moves between the cities of the twenty-first century, from Lahore to London, from Pa ...more
Published April 1st 2010 by Verso (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Night of the Golden Butterfly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night of the Golden Butterfly

Irka
May 02, 2016 Irka rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gwiazdka mniej za literówki, których szczerze nie lubię. Druga gwiazdka mniej za gubienie się tłumacza w tekście. Poza tym język jest najwulgarniejszy z wszystkich tomów serii i męczący na dłużą metę. Fabuła też niestety nie jest mocną stroną tej książki.
Adi_Toha
Feb 23, 2011 Adi_Toha rated it liked it
Buku ini adalah buku terakhir dari Pentalogi fiksi sejarah Tariq Ali yang berlatar peradaban Islam. Keempat buku sebelumnya adalah: Shadows of the Pomegranate Tree, The Book of Saladin, The Stone Woman, A Sultan in Palermo. Night of the Golden Butterfly berlatar di banyak tempat di masa kini, mulai dari Lahore, Punjabi, Fatherland (Pakistan), dan London, serta sisipan cerita yang berlatar China akhir abad sembilan belas, semasa terjadinya pemberontakan Panthay di masa kesultanan islam Dali di Ch ...more
Dale
Apr 13, 2015 Dale rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, history
The last of The Islam Quintet is quite a change from the others. It's set in contemporary Pakistan, London, and DC, and the narrator this time around is Tariq Ail himself, or his fictional doppelganger. The history is that of Chinese muslims in Yunnan, and their forced migration to Vietnam, Burma, and Pakistan; but the main story is that of the narrator and his friends from adolescence, now, at the time of the novel, elderly.

The central character is an iconoclast named Plato, about 10 years olde
Umar Shaikh
Jul 15, 2015 Umar Shaikh rated it really liked it
A quite interesting novel, if not a bit complicated with it's varied settings. The book starts out in a post-partition Lahore before jumping to London, Paris, Beijing, and just about every major city in the world. Ali has inserted various couplets of Urdu and Punjabi poetry, which give a sense of continuity amidst the changing locations.

The characters, too, are quite complex. However, in this instance, it plays in the novel's favor. The characters and their relationships to one another are ever
Arooj
Dec 31, 2015 Arooj rated it did not like it
Read 5th book by Tariq Ali. Again did a lot of skimming and skipping , credit goes to Tariq Ali 's long and deep analysis ( and rather useless) of illicit acts , accounts which have nothing to do with writer's socialist stance.
only a brief portion of the book t caught my attention and again it was not the theme but just the word play that can captivate any reader with s liking for witty language. In a nutshell most boring book by Tariq ali so far.
Mahwish Chowdhary
Mar 18, 2015 Mahwish Chowdhary rated it really liked it
I admire tariq ali for producing such a brilliant book. Its marked with old nostalgia while looking back at events of youth and merry, revisiting golden memories shared by old friends..A dialogue set in past and present moments, from one city to another; with a common theme of friendship, betrayals and reunions..It's a treat for all those who love reading, I have not read anything like this before. Highly recommended! hats off to the writer!
Michael
This conclusion to Ali's “Islam Quintet” is a reflection of the descent of “Fatherland" (Pakistan) into its own special kind of hell. The book is a subtle and wide-ranging examination of home, absence, and how, at times, exile and expatriation become interchangeable. And underlying Ali’s narrative is a sadness at the loss of the pre-Partition cosmopolitan culture of Lahore, destroyed first by the generals and then by the Islamists.
May 23, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Hamid
"Where Badshaai Mosque and Diamond Market-cold during the day, a furnace at night-in the old red-light district where some of the gaudiest courtesians' houses had been built by a great-uncle of mine. The old Royal district: mosque, palace and brothel all within the easy reach of each other and close to the river that no longer flows."

Poetry masquerading as fiction, illuminating the intersection of time controlling what can be seen and what is hidden. Love under the control of parents’ gaze, cult
Maria Lucia Seidl De Moura
Apr 01, 2016 Maria Lucia Seidl De Moura rated it really liked it
Esse é o quinto livro da série sobre o Islã. Diferentemente dos anteriores, trata de eventos contemporâneos. Como dos anteriores, gostei, porque me permite conhecer coisas de que não sabia, em especial dos muçulmanos na China. Como em outros romances de Tariq Ali, acho que ele cria personagens muito interessantes, mas não os desenvolve suficientemente.
Amina
Sep 10, 2014 Amina rated it it was ok
this was a hard read for me, i really wanted to finish with these 5 books and ali who really didn't impress me very much. i think that my expectations were too great.

read at your own risk.
Aaron Benarroch
Nov 30, 2015 Aaron Benarroch rated it really liked it
Es soberbiamente bueno. ¡Quién no desearía tener un amigo como Platón?
Yasmin
Mar 16, 2011 Yasmin rated it really liked it
An interesting final addition to the quintet. I didn't realise that the author would move so quickly to modern times! And may I say there is some lightly veiled biographical refrences? Tariq Ali is as always an amazing writer. I can honestly say I could hardly put the book down. I ever read it while having a headache and curiously the headache seemed to vanish while I read! I can't wait to be able to put many of his books on my library and read them at my happy lesiure.
Iman Hasanbegovic
Oct 26, 2012 Iman Hasanbegovic rated it it was amazing
I was a bit skeptical about this book, because unlike the first four books of the Islamic Quintet it is not a historical novel. But I was amazed by this book. There is historical background, perhaps even stronger then in The Stone Woman, or maybe even Sultan in Palermo.
Tariq Ali has a unique capability of combining politics, history, friendship and love and put it all in such masterpiece of fiction.
Graham Crawford
Dec 12, 2011 Graham Crawford rated it liked it
I really enjoyed this series. Tariq Ali is not a brilliant writer, but he is a brilliant story teller. I found this book a bit messy structurally. The narrative was disjointed and the ending a bit heavy handed, but all the characters stories are so interesting, and about areas of the world I knew nothing about, I couldn't put it down.
Mehrunnisa
Feb 19, 2012 Mehrunnisa rated it it was amazing
The English used to describe crude punjabi expressions and sexual language are so much more dignified than in punjabi. Thank god for that! Ali weaves history into fiction so skilfully. Pakistani's who are comfortable with irreverence and able to laugh at their country as well as be critical about its wrongs will love this.
Val
Jul 25, 2015 Val rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: temp
The fifth and last book in the quintet is stylistically different to the other four. I did not like it as much as the earlier ones on first reading, I felt Tariq was treading on Salman's toes or hanging off his coat-tails.
I want to read it again and reconsider.
Moni
Jan 01, 2014 Moni rated it it was amazing
I love the way Tariq Ali weaves historical facts with fiction! I cannot wait to read remaining three books that make up the quintet ( I read Shadows of the Pomegranate Tree and I highly recommend that book too!).
Linda Abuelghanam
Mar 09, 2011 Linda Abuelghanam rated it liked it
I hate the language that is used. Does an author have to use so many curse words. This book is a hard read for me and I'm not sure that I like it very much...
I finished it and really didn't like it.
Safiyyah El-kher
Feb 02, 2012 Safiyyah El-kher rated it liked it

The beginning had a lot of bad language but as the book progressed the content improved.
Maryanne
Jun 05, 2011 Maryanne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: not-to-be-lost
This is a fascinating finish to his Islam quintet. Great set of books
Benjie Deford
Jun 26, 2013 Benjie Deford rated it really liked it
Not as good. But i think a second read worthwhile.
サラ サラ
Jul 01, 2013 サラ サラ rated it really liked it
Interesting read!!
Smnssvbd
Smnssvbd marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Tourya
Tourya marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Marion
Marion marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Diyana
Diyana marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Mira Chean
Mira Chean marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Vasile
Vasile marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
  • The Bridge of the Golden Horn
  • Balthasar's Odyssey
  • The Elixir of Immortality
  • The Great Arab Conquests: How The Spread Of Islam Changed The World We Live In
  • Islam and the Destiny of Man
  • The Opium Clerk
  • The Ugly Duckling Goes to Work: Wisdom for the Workplace from the Classic Tales of Hans Christian Andersen
  • Living Islam Out Loud: American Muslim Women Speak
  • The John Carlos Story: The Sports Moment That Changed the World
  • The Sweet and Simple Kind
  • The Venture of Islam, Vol 3: The Gunpowder Empires and Modern Times
  • الإسلام وأصول الحكم
  • A Border Passage: From Cairo to America – A Woman's Journey
  • John Kenneth Galbraith: His Life, His Politics, His Economics
  • Sandpiper
  • Islam in the Modern World: Challenged by the West, Threatened by Fundamentalism, Keeping Faith with Tradition
  • Sweet Tea: Black Gay Men of the South
  • Nigdje, niotkuda
Tariq Ali (Punjabi, Urdu: طارق علی) (born 21 October 1943) is a British-Pakistani historian, novelist, filmmaker, political campaigner, and commentator. He is a member of the editorial committee of the New Left Review and Sin Permiso, and regularly contributes to The Guardian, CounterPunch, and the London Review of Books.

He is the author of several books, including Can Pakistan Survive? The Death
More about Tariq Ali...

Islam Quintet (5 books)
  • Shadows of the Pomegranate Tree
  • The Book of Saladin (Islam Quintet, #2)
  • The Stone Woman (Islam Quintet, #3)
  • A Sultan in Palermo (Islam Quintet, #4)