Start by marking “Soarer's Choice: The Sixth Book of the Corean Chronicles” as Want to Read:
Soarer's Choice: The Sixth Book of the Corean Chronicles

Soarer's Choice: The Sixth Book of the Corean Chronicles (Corean Chronicles #6)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  1,146 ratings  ·  17 reviews
L.E. Modesitt, Jr. returns to the world of Corus and concludes the trilogy of the intertwined stories of Dainyl, the Alector, and Mykel, the native soldier, which began in Alector's Choice and Cadmian's Choice.
The civilization of the Alectors, which has farmed and developed all life on Corus to produce sustaining life force for their vampiric civilization, must move whole
Published November 14th 2006 by Tor Books (first published November 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Soarer's Choice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soarer's Choice

L.E. Modesitt brings his characters to life in his writing. I absolutely loved this book. The struggle to live is a great incentive to act in the way you feel right and Dainyl does just that. Even with the threat of losing everything. You know a great piece of writing when the emotion is so strong that it can bring you to tears.
William Bentrim
Soarer's Choice by L.E. Modesitt, jr

This is book six of the Corean Chronicles. This is more like the end of the beginning of the series. The plot sets the stage for the first three books. Dainyl discovers the extent of his known powers and Mykel discovers he has talent.

Although this book appears to offer closure to the roots of the first three books, one wonders if it does. I am currently reading Lord Protector's Daughter which seems to follow Mykel's family line although generations later. If
Fantasy Literature
The second trilogy in L. E. Modesitt, Jr.’s COREAN CHRONICLES closes with Soarer’s Choice. While this book is better than the previous novel, Cadmian’s Choice, that’s mostly because (1) It closes out this overly-long trilogy and (2) It gives the background that helps explain the world Alucius lives in in the first three COREAN CHRONICLES books, Legacies, Darknesses, and Scepters. (The story of that first trilogy occurs generations after the events in the second trilogy, Alector’s Choice, Cadmian ...more
Laurence Burke
In the third book of this prequel, we finally learn the reasons behind the Machiavellian scheming of the various alectors high in the government. The underlying situation comes to a head, and the two sides finally sort out against each other. Dainyl has learned much in his unintended rise to power, both the knowledge and the power coming from the many attacks on him by other alectors.

Meanwhile, Mykel and his battalion are trying to put down a rebellion of "hill people" in a backwater of the nati
Jorge Desormeaux
I enjoyed the trilogy, but each book felt weaker than the previous one. While the first two books may have merited 3.5 to 4 stars, I'm not willing to give this one more than 3. Modesitt has a knack for creating interesting worlds and supernatural frameworks, but he's just not as good at spinning a yarn about people. Concretely, the following things turned me off:

* The ending of the book will be evident to any observant reader, and should have been obvious to one of the main characters (Dainyl) a
I am always worried about not stopping with the first book in the series if it was good because I don't want to be disappointed later, but no book in this series disappointed me, and I feel best for having read them all. The story comes full circle and answers any questions and loose ends by the end of the series.

One of my favorite series ever. I loved the main character and seeing how he would outsmart his troubles. I loved a lot if the descriptions about the world, and the magic is genius and
The last 3 books in this series are a prequel to the first three. It rounds out the culture, personality and motives of the "Ifrit" antagonist that use the life force of a world to fuel their magic. Humans are cattle to them but produce said life force so are a necessary evil.

The story borders on SyFy and I'm only partially engaged in the story but dogged enough that I want to finish it. The author suffers from the same "paid by the word" syndrome that too many exhibit these days. Large amounts
This is the end, I think of this Corean Chronicles. We get to help Dainyl hone his Green Talent, while wondering if Mykel and his love interest will ever just break down and make out.
We get to experience Dainyl quick rise through the ranks of power.
This planet makes me wonder what our sky would look like if it were a green-silver with 2 moons, one of which is green.
Would've given it 4 stars, except Mykel's whole storyline felt very unnecessary to this book. I understand why it was there (Mykel was in the other two of the series and readers would want to know where he ended up), but his actions just weren't that important to the overall story. But Dainyl's plot-line was excellently handled. Overall, an all right conclusion to the trilogy.
Cathy S
as usual Modesitt leaves me wishing there was more and not in a good way....good premises, good characters, very flawed development, progress or action...I dont recommend to others, although I keep giving the author a try...this is my 3rd series of but not recommended
Ok, but like many of Modesitt's books, it ends rather abruptly. It was interesting to see how the characters tie in with the protagonists in the previous trilogy.
Hershel Shipman
Not bad finish to the prequel trilogy. Much of the origins of the Lord-Protector, and herders are explained. Also what happened to all of the ifrits.
Re-read. The best of the second Corean trilogy. Moves right along, in fact the ending happens a little *too* quickly.

Re-read, 8/14.
Suitable conclusion to the Corean Chronicles. The ending was not my favorite, slow in parts but overall I enjoyed it.
The Recluse saga is better developed and gives many of the same plot points.
Corean Chronicles
Hope there is more
Bill Tackett
Bill Tackett marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Stefan Grønvik
Stefan Grønvik marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Donna Hessong
Donna Hessong marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015
Tom marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
  • The Wizard Lord (The Annals of the Chosen, #1)
  • A Magic of Nightfall (The Nessantico Cycle, #2)
  • Nightchild (Chronicles of the Raven, #3)
  • Goddess of the Ice Realm (Lord of the Isles, #5)
  • The Kingless Land (Band of Four, #1)
  • 23 Years on Fire (Cassandra Kresnov, #4)
  • A Fortress in Shadow (Dread Empire, #4-5)
  • Bonds of Vengeance (Winds of the Forelands, #3)
  • Antiphon (Psalms of Isaak, #3)
  • Sons of the Oak (Runelords, #5)
  • Traitor's Knot (Wars of Light & Shadow #7; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #4)
  • The Hidden Stars (Rune of Unmaking #1)
  • Fall with Honor (Vampire Earth, #7)
L. E. (Leland Exton) Modesitt, Jr. is an author of science fiction and fantasy novels. He is best known for the fantasy series The Saga of Recluce. He graduated from Williams College in Massachusetts, lived in Washington, D.C. for 20 years, then moved to New Hampshire in 1989 where he met his wife. They relocated to Cedar City, Utah in 1993.

He has worked as a Navy pilot, lifeguard, delivery boy, u
More about L.E. Modesitt Jr....

Corean Chronicles (8 books)
  • Legacies (Corean Chronicles, #1)
  • Darknesses (Corean Chronicles, #2)
  • Scepters (Corean Chronicles, #3)
  • Alector's Choice (Corean Chronicles, #4)
  • Cadmian's Choice (Corean Chronicles, #5)
  • The Lord-Protector's Daughter (Corean Chronicles, #7)
  • Lady-Protector (Corean Chronicles, #8)
The Magic of Recluce (The Saga of Recluce #1) The Magic Engineer (The Saga of Recluce #3) The Towers of the Sunset (The Saga of Recluce #2) The Death of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #5) The Order War (The Saga of Recluce #4)