Start by marking “Transgender Explained for Those Who Are Not” as Want to Read:
Transgender Explained for Those Who Are Not

Transgender Explained for Those Who Are Not

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Joanne Herman, a transgender woman who read everything in sight to understand her own gender incongruity, has been helping others with her non-complicated explanations of transgender for almost a decade. Now she has written down her explanations for all to read in Transgender Explained For Those Who Are Not. Organized by topic into short, easy-to-read chapters, Transgender ...more
Published September 30th 2009 by Authorhouse

To ask other readers questions about Transgender Explained for Those Who Are Not, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Transgender Explained for Those Who Are Not

Bludhaven
As someone "who is not" I may be the target audience, but I came in as a little more informed than the average non-transgender person, I guess. Still I'd really hope others pick up the book to get an "explanation". It is a good first read for people that want to be aware.

I bought this at this point in time, because a FTM friend is in the process of telling his family about himself and some of his relatives have expressed a wish to inform themselves better.

On the whole I personally found the more
Aneesa
The short chapters in this book are based on Advocate.com columns, and are designed to stand alone, making them pretty elementary and extremely repetitive. The book would probably make a good primer for organizations looking to create more inclusive policies and cultures (who knew that churches have non-discrimination policies called things like "Note on the Inclusive Dimensions of God's Grace"?), and the author is in fact a speaker and consultant on such matters. I surprised myself by finding t ...more
Paige Ellen Stone
Invaluable resource for friends, families, lovers of transgendered people & those who ARE transgendered. I found this book to be so very honest and down-to-earth that it is quite refreshing. It covers every area that I can imagine and covers them well. The book is well-researched for those who may want to know more. Ms Herman humanizes the book through anecdotes, some personal, some gleaned via personal conversations with others.
I have given this book to family and friends and all have foun
Audrey Remusat
Great intro book! However, even for being published in 2009 some of the things she references to have already passed and changed for the better. So things need to updated. I got this book for my father because he's having troubles with me and my transition. I also read it after him and knew 90% of the contents without having to have read it, however, it was helpful in opening my eyes a bit more to my families needs in that I have to learn to accept them to referencing my past and be ok with it. ...more
Bryan
This is a great introductory book especially for those who already know a little about transgender issues, but want to learn more. The primary audience is non-transgender individuals, but it would also be useful for transgender individuals, IMO. It distills a lot of information that would take quite a bit of reading to get otherwise. The added bonus is that the author is MTF transgender (male to female) so she can add a lot of personal experience to the mix of information.
Karen
As I shared the story of my transition with family and friends, I wanted to find something that would help them learn more about the transgender experience. I've read "True Selves" but it just didn't resonate with me. It's never going to be possible to find a "one size fits all" book, but this is as close as I've found. It's a quick read, it covers many topics and it presents trans women in an honest, positive manner. It's a good book for someone who wants to learn "more than a little and less t ...more
Irene
There is startlingly little helpful literature on this subject. This book is an excellent guide to give to parents, loved ones, and so on to help explain things to them - as the title promises. It is also potentially useful to the newly-awakened trans individual for a general introduction, but contains no crucial information or guidance.
Gwen
This is a pretty basic book regarding transgender issues. It doesn't have a huge amount of depth and it is a very fast read, but it does have sufficient introductory information for people who know someone who is transgender and want to learn more -- which, according to the title, is exactly what it purports to be.
marmix
While I agree that the chapters do become repetitive (the book is a collection of articles that first appeared in the Advocate), this book provides information on a potentially emotional subject in a straightforward way. I found the author’s list of recommended books for further reading very helpful.
Brandi
A good book...lots of background on the (continual) evolution of the transgender community and the way it is viewed by science and people in general. I recommend this for those who find themselves asking "why." This work will help you understand why. It's not a choice. It just is...
Khris
This was an excellent introduction to the topic which I read as preparation for hosting a panel discussion. Articulate and ultimately a great resource for further reading.
Michelle Collins
Michelle Collins is currently reading it
Apr 29, 2015
Dessi
Dessi marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Adriene
Adriene marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Michelle Johnson
Michelle Johnson marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Aimee
Aimee added it
Mar 21, 2015
Aidan
Aidan marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Yaiza Canopoli
Yaiza Canopoli marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Leigh
Leigh marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Ann LaBar
Ann LaBar marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Eight-Step Approach to Teaching Clinical Nursing: Tools for Nurse Educators Behind the Closed Door Behind The Closed Door