Start by marking “Transgender Explained for Those Who Are Not” as Want to Read:
Transgender Explained for Those Who Are Not

Transgender Explained for Those Who Are Not

Joanne Herman, a transgender woman who read everything in sight to understand her own gender incongruity, has been helping others with her non-complicated explanations of transgender for almost a decade. Now she has written down her explanations for all to read in Transgender Explained For Those Who Are Not. Organized by topic into short, easy-to-read chapters, Transgender ...more
Published September 30th 2009 by Authorhouse

To ask other readers questions about Transgender Explained for Those Who Are Not, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Transgender Explained for Those Who Are Not

Aneesa
May 02, 2010 Aneesa rated it liked it
The short chapters in this book are based on Advocate.com columns, and are designed to stand alone, making them pretty elementary and extremely repetitive. The book would probably make a good primer for organizations looking to create more inclusive policies and cultures (who knew that churches have non-discrimination policies called things like "Note on the Inclusive Dimensions of God's Grace"?), and the author is in fact a speaker and consultant on such matters. I surprised myself by finding t ...more
Paige Ellen Stone
Mar 25, 2014 Paige Ellen Stone rated it it was amazing
Invaluable resource for friends, families, lovers of transgendered people & those who ARE transgendered. I found this book to be so very honest and down-to-earth that it is quite refreshing. It covers every area that I can imagine and covers them well. The book is well-researched for those who may want to know more. Ms Herman humanizes the book through anecdotes, some personal, some gleaned via personal conversations with others.
I have given this book to family and friends and all have foun
Danni Green
May 12, 2016 Danni Green rated it really liked it
Shelves: genderawesome
I'm often wary of "Trans 101" material, but this one is actually pretty good, and it is written by an actual transgender person. It doesn't cover everything, and it should be interpreted as one person's view rather than as a universal standard, but as long as the reader keeps that in mind, there's plenty of good info here. Glad to have this book in the world!
Kate
Oct 25, 2016 Kate rated it liked it
Shelves: work
Enlightening.

A self published memoir of a personnel journey.

I found much in this to help with my core beliefs and abilities to walk along side those working through gender clarification.
Audrey Remusat
Jul 21, 2013 Audrey Remusat rated it really liked it
Great intro book! However, even for being published in 2009 some of the things she references to have already passed and changed for the better. So things need to updated. I got this book for my father because he's having troubles with me and my transition. I also read it after him and knew 90% of the contents without having to have read it, however, it was helpful in opening my eyes a bit more to my families needs in that I have to learn to accept them to referencing my past and be ok with it. ...more
Karen
Aug 03, 2012 Karen rated it it was amazing
As I shared the story of my transition with family and friends, I wanted to find something that would help them learn more about the transgender experience. I've read "True Selves" but it just didn't resonate with me. It's never going to be possible to find a "one size fits all" book, but this is as close as I've found. It's a quick read, it covers many topics and it presents trans women in an honest, positive manner. It's a good book for someone who wants to learn "more than a little and less t ...more
Bryan
Feb 08, 2015 Bryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great introductory book especially for those who already know a little about transgender issues, but want to learn more. The primary audience is non-transgender individuals, but it would also be useful for transgender individuals, IMO. It distills a lot of information that would take quite a bit of reading to get otherwise. The added bonus is that the author is MTF transgender (male to female) so she can add a lot of personal experience to the mix of information.
Gwen
Dec 04, 2011 Gwen rated it really liked it
Shelves: gender-issues
This is a pretty basic book regarding transgender issues. It doesn't have a huge amount of depth and it is a very fast read, but it does have sufficient introductory information for people who know someone who is transgender and want to learn more -- which, according to the title, is exactly what it purports to be.
marmix
Feb 17, 2011 marmix rated it liked it
While I agree that the chapters do become repetitive (the book is a collection of articles that first appeared in the Advocate), this book provides information on a potentially emotional subject in a straightforward way. I found the author’s list of recommended books for further reading very helpful.
Irene
Oct 19, 2011 Irene rated it liked it
There is startlingly little helpful literature on this subject. This book is an excellent guide to give to parents, loved ones, and so on to help explain things to them - as the title promises. It is also potentially useful to the newly-awakened trans individual for a general introduction, but contains no crucial information or guidance.
Brandi
Feb 06, 2012 Brandi rated it really liked it
A good book...lots of background on the (continual) evolution of the transgender community and the way it is viewed by science and people in general. I recommend this for those who find themselves asking "why." This work will help you understand why. It's not a choice. It just is...
Khris
Sep 26, 2011 Khris rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-nf
This was an excellent introduction to the topic which I read as preparation for hosting a panel discussion. Articulate and ultimately a great resource for further reading.
Beth
Beth rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2015
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2014
Eugene G. Benson Jr.
Eugene G. Benson Jr. rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2016
April
April rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2014
Victoria Tamara
Victoria Tamara rated it it was amazing
Jan 07, 2013
Meredith
Meredith rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2014
Debby Palmer
Debby Palmer rated it liked it
May 31, 2010
Bethany
Bethany rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2014
Olga Oh
Olga Oh rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2017
Bryan
Bryan rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2011
Joanne
Joanne rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Shannonsprung
Shannonsprung rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2012
Eli
Eli rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2014
Maria Myers
Maria Myers rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2013
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2011
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2012
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
May 11, 2014