Start by marking “Selected Poems of Christina Rossetti (Wordsworth Poetry Library)” as Want to Read:
Selected Poems of Christina Rossetti (Wordsworth Poetry Library)

Selected Poems of Christina Rossetti (Wordsworth Poetry Library)

Christina Rossetti is widely regarded as the most considerable woman poet in England before the twentieth century. No reading of nineteenth century poetry can be complete without attention to this prolific and popular poet. Rossetti's inner life dominates her poetry, exploring loss and unattainable hope. Her divine poems have a freshness and toughness of thought, while man ...more
Published February 5th 1995 by Wordsworth Editions (first published January 1st 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Selected Poems of Christina Rossetti, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Poems of Christina Rossetti

Brooklyn Tayla
Mar 02, 2017 Brooklyn Tayla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, 2017-reads
So I confess I had hoped to savour these probably as I should've done but aah once I started reading them I couldn't stop. They were all so moving and effective and beautifully composed. I definitely need to read more of her poetry and learn more about her. Definitely the book I needed to read to pull me back into my love of poetry.

Full review to come.
Megan
Sep 12, 2010 Megan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, favorites
Rossetti is definitely my new favorite poet. I love her style, especially the feeling of motion and energy and life in her use of participles and her use of nature. Many of her religious poems were especially reflective and powerful.
Karen
Feb 18, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I have loved Christina Rossetti's poems for years. I picked this volume up from the library on impulse as I have not read any of her work for a while. It was nice to re-read some old favourites like Cousin Kate, Echo, Song (When I am dead my dearest), Goblin Market and Remember.

What I liked about this volume was that it included more of her religious poetry than other "selected poems" editions that I have read. I found a new one to add to my list of favourites - Who shall deliver me?

Recommended.

Can be cleaved unto,
Can be dwelt upon;
It is hurried through,
It is come and gone,
Undone it cannot be done,
It is ever to do,
Ever old, ever new,
Ever waxing old
And lapsing to Winter cold.
Steve
May 09, 2014 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very fine Christian poet.
Elizabeth
Sep 02, 2007 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
from Sing-Song

What are heavy? sea-sand and sorrow:
What are brief? today and tomorrow:
What are frail? Spring blossoms and youth:
What are deep? the ocean and truth.
Kirsty Hughes
I'm not the biggest poetry fan. I'm not a religious person. These things mean that Rossetti and I don't have all that much in common, but I think she is an excellent poet.

Her themes deal a lot with religion and with sin and temptation. She focuses a lot on the roles and expectations of women.

My favorites from this collection are:

- Remember. A poem about wanting loved ones to remember you when you die but to also be happy and live without you.

- In an Artist's Studio. A poem that I think repres
Deborah Schuff
Oct 03, 2013 Deborah Schuff rated it really liked it
I had picked this book up at last year's American Association of University Women's used book sale. I had probably read some of her poetry when I was in school, but none of these seemed familiar. Nonetheless, I enjoyed reading them and liked her sonnets very much, most especially "Monna Innominata" (a series of 14 love sonnets written from a woman's point-of-view.) "Monna Innominata" is as good as any sonnets written by Shakespeare or other gentlemen poets, IMO. My only quibble lies with the Int ...more
Susan
Aug 31, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a good collection of her poems, a solid introduction to the kinds of poetry Christina Rossetti wrote. She and was a gifted lyrical poet, and it is astonishing that she is not more widely known. Her religious poems are beautiful, and some have become familiar hymns in different religions/churches. She was the sister of the Pre-Raphaelite painter Dante Gabriel Rossetti, and the Pre-Raphaelite sensibility and ideals influences her poetry and her reaction to the world around her.

Goblin Market
Alex Kartelias
I very much prefer her poetry over her brothers. He made nice translations of Italian Renaissance poetry, but his own work was too imitative of past styles. On the other hand, Christine Rossetti is one of my new favorite poets: Some time's her choice of words remind me of Emily Dickinson, but her over-all feeling is very unique. She's creative with form and refuses to me predictable. Some of them really touched me while others were- at least to me- decent enough to appreciate. Hopefully I'll ret ...more
Weronika
Dec 20, 2015 Weronika rated it really liked it
I usually hate poetry, if I'm being honest, so I do not read it often. This however, I found it to be written in a simple yet sweet manner. Her poems have a certain energy to them, and are wonderfully worded together. I enjoyed some more than others but overall, I think I may have found a poet that I truly do like the poems of and would not mind reading more of.
Charlotte Hyde
Oct 29, 2015 Charlotte Hyde rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rossetti's rich language and rhyme is such a joy to read. Simply amazing. I especially love the poem Goblin Market; the description of the fruit was so vivid and enticing that my mouth watered (and the only fruit I like is apples!). I highly recommend this collection. Actual rating 4.5/5 stars as some of the poetry is a little dry - but that is only a minority.
Chris
Oct 27, 2008 Chris rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
What can one say about the work of Christina Rosetti? Perhaps that her religious poems are even better than her "Goblin Market"? That "Market" is a must read? That she deserves all the attention that she gets?

All of the above.
Jen Ashburn
The title is exactly what it says -- twenty poems from Christina Rossetti. I love the poetry. I gave the book two stars simply because there are better anthologies out there that include commentaries and historical information.
Aug 02, 2016 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
although I wouldn't say that this volume of poems will end up in my favorites list I did enjoy her sense of humor and her look at the lives of women. It made me curious to find out more about her as a person.
Selene
Apr 22, 2013 Selene rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english-readings
My first reading of a work by Christina Rossetti (in this case, selected poems) and I'm not disappointed at all. I like how she writes, in a simple manner but with a deeper meaning behind the lines.

I found specially inspiring the poem "Goblin Market".
Jodi
Apr 11, 2009 Jodi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although she gave herself to solitude in the church the last 30 years of her life, I found her joyless and dark in her writings. But at the same time, I was drawn to her as she was a good poet if not a good liver of life.
Nikita Watt
Jun 16, 2014 Nikita Watt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
INCREDIBLE poet. One of the first feminists of our time. Her poetry is still relevant today even though it was written in the 1800s. She writes subtly about a range of prominent issues still relevant in our society. Give her a try, it'll be worth it.
Kristīne
Baigais emo.

Goblin Market bija episks un skaists, bet viss pārējais smaržoja pēc asarām, trūdzemes, vītušām puķēm un pret klintīm sašķaidītām cerībām.
emm
Aug 05, 2011 emm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was truly lovely to read. You read Christina Rossetti's poetry and then you finally read the work of a poetess. I had never heard of Rossetti before nor read her work, so thanks MachiRose #;-)
Todd Williams
Aug 03, 2011 Todd Williams rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Solid collection by Roe. I would've liked Another Spring and The Dead City to be included.
Tina
Jan 06, 2014 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
absolutely loved most of her poems, especially the goblin market and her songs. I think this would have got a rating of a 5 star if it wasn't for the religious poems.
Peter
Jan 09, 2012 Peter rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, devotional
Deep and puritanical but also utterly pessimistic, in the theological sense. A marriage of middle age renaissance and Victorian christian sensibilities. A spoonful at a time with a spoonful of sugar.
 Barb Bailey
Mar 10, 2009 Barb Bailey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, 2009, 5-star-books
This small book of poetry took me awhile to read. I'd read a few pages and set the book aside. Some of these peoms were excellent . A small book to read and savor gently.
Becca Watt
Becca Watt rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2012
Gabrielle Davis
Gabrielle Davis rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2015
Cindy Loomis-Torvi
Cindy Loomis-Torvi rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2016
Maryam
Maryam rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2012
Ren
Ren rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2014
Catie
Catie rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2012
  • Collected Poems of Thomas Hardy (Wordsworth Poetry) (Wordsworth Poetry Library)
  • William Shakespeare: Selected Poems
  • The Metaphysical Poets
  • The Virago Book of Fairy Tales
  • The Heidelberg Catechism
  • The Vintage Book of Contemporary World Poetry
Christina Georgina Rossetti, one of the most important women poets writing in nineteenth-century England, was born in London December 5, 1830, to Gabriele and Frances (Polidori) Rossetti. Although her fundamentally religious temperament was closer to her mother's, this youngest member of a remarkable family of poets, artists, and critics inherited many of her artistic tendencies from her father.

J
More about Christina Rossetti...