فیزیک ذرات

فیزیک ذرات (Very Short Introductions)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  226 ratings  ·  35 reviews
In this compelling introduction to the fundamental particles that make up the universe, Frank Close takes us on a journey into the atom to examine known particles such as quarks, electrons, and the ghostly neutrino. Along the way he provides fascinating insights into how discoveries in particle physics have actually been made, and discusses how our picture of the world has...more
دانش معاصر [۷]‏, 192 pages
Published 2008 by فرهنگ معاصر (first published 2004)

Bojan Tunguz
One of the most intriguing and fascinating scientific stories of the 20th century has been the incredible advance in our understanding of matter in its most fundamental form. In a nutshell, the 20th century has seen the vindication of the atomic hypothesis: all of the nature, the matter and even the interactions of matter, can be reduced to a finite number of indivisible particles. It turns out that atoms, the original candidates for irreducible particles as their name suggests, are in fact comp...more
Aaron
There is some special sense of futility tied to the task of presenting physics without math. It's like parents trying to explain their impending divorce to their eight-year-old daughter. Bereft of any sort of background knowledge that would allow her to actually understand that reasons for what is happening, the parents must rely upon absolute pronouncements and the deployment of similes even more tortured than this one. But much like that child, I am lacking in background experience. I never le...more
Hussain Ali
هذا الكتاب عبارة عن مقدمة مختصرة وصلبة جدًا، يمكن للمهتم في قراءة فيزياء الكون ومراحل نشأته وعملية تطوره المستمر؛ يمكنه أن يقرأ هذه الكتيب الجميل، كل شيء بسلاسة وبساطة إلى الفصل السابع، بعد ذلك سيصعب على من لا يمتلك خبرة في مفاهيم الفيزياء الحديثة وميكانيكا الكم أن يهضم المفاهيم العلمية الدقيقة، وفائدة هذا الكتاب الحقيقية هي كما قلت في البداية "فهم الصغير جدًا لهضم الكبير جدًا" فيزياء الجسيمات هي المفتاح الرئيسي لفهم أسرار الكون، أو أحد المفاتيح الرئيسية -تجنبًا للمبالغة-
وما يميز الكتاب الصغير ف...more
Portia Costa
I must admit that this was a hard struggle for me to read. Not that there's anything wrong with the book. The author has a great style and explains difficult concepts extremely well. It's just a little too advanced for me. It did fill me with a great sense of wonder and awe though, at the way the universe is built and the magical world of the infinitesimally tiny. Despite my scientific shortcomings, I was able to grasp some new to me knowledge.
David Roberts
The book I read to research this post was Particle Physics A Very Short Introduction by Frank Close which is a very good book which I bought from kindle. This book is part of a series of approximately 300 which get an expert in a field to write roughly 150 pages as an introduction to their subject. They are generally fairly although this book is quite complex in places. It is interesting though especially the stuff on colliders like the one at CERN in Geneva which is 27 km long and underground a...more
So Hakim
As the title says, a *very* short introduction to particle physics. Not that it's bad: with 129 pages the author did good job to explain basic quirks of particle physics, including all the exotic names. The only drawback is in chapter 5-6.

Right after explaining quarks & neutrino, the author suddenly jumps to how accelerators and detectors work -- the experimental detail -- and after that jump back again to the theoretical side about four fundamental forces. I feel the narrative was hurt by...more
Steve
If you're looking for a clearer understanding of what the scientists at CERN are up to - or perhaps you just have an urge to know your baryon from your meson - this is the book to buy. I've read quite a few of the Very Short Introductions, on all sort of topics, and author Frank Close is to be commended for making Particle Physics one of the very best. It's concise, inspiring, crammed with facts (rather than opinions) and not so advanced as to curtail the beginner's attempt to gain a foothold. I...more
BJ Rose
I am not a scientist, and I have only a basic understanding of physics. So altho this is A Very Short Introduction to particle physics, it's still contains strong elements of an unknown foreign language to me.
And I was doing fine until the formulas started coming in chapter 4! The most significant thing I recall after that is that anti-matter destroys matter in a flash of light, and that positrons are destroyed when they collide with electrons. But that's OK - that I didn't get that much out of...more
Roger
This I found to be an excellent introduction to particle physics. The enthusiasm of the author for his subject comes across very strongly and Frank Close, who is a Professor of Physics at Oxford University, is obviously very knowledgeable about particle physics. In what is a short volume (part of the "A Very Short Introduction" series) he covers a lot of ground in a clear manner and without the need for any mathematics. Close was able to explain some concepts to me, a non-physicist, with much be...more
Bogdan Gavriliuc
The amount I learned (and can probably still learn by re-reading) from this book impressed me.

I had heard of all of the names thrown around: quark, muon, leptopn, boson, gluon, pion, etc.
But only now do I have a better understanding of which is which, and why they were named so.
As with all other physics books, I still wish the math was present.

Only downsides is that at rare times, I couldn't match a particular paragraph with the diagram.

Not that it's really spoilers but:
(view spoiler)...more
Ned Peneguy
Unlike most of the OUP's excellent "Very Short Introduction" series, this particular volume was very poorly written. There were several examples of non-sentences masquerading as sentences. One gets the distinct impression the author became tired of writing the book a little past the half-way mark, an exhaustion surpassed only by the reader's fatigue in trying to parse her way through the clumsily assembled miscellania of questionably related facts and slapdash sentences.
Rory
A wonderfully informative introduction to particle physics. Frank Close introduces, at a very general level, some of the basic issues surrounding subject in an incredibly clear way. The clarity is achieved firstly by a very lucid writing style, that should make this accessible for any intelligent layperson interested in the subject, along with diagrams, which are another fantastic aid when reading the text. Depending on what one wants from this text, one may be disappointed that it does not requ...more
Malcolm Cross
Naturally, since this is a technical work, I'm rating it more on the quality and breadth of the information contained - which is top notch, and while meaty on the science side, was still something I managed to follow quite cogently.

I may still not understand the full picture of quarks and particle physics, but this book's given me a good thumbnail view of what that picture looks like at a distance.
Winston O'Toole
Particle physics is so cool. I've tried a few times before to teach myself some of the subject but never got anywhere. There are just too many particles and it gets confusing and I never knew up from down or strange from charm anymore. This book though. This book fucking gets it. Very clear, very informative. I'll probably pick up a few others from this series, in hopes they will be the same level of quality.

Also: the pocket-size was a nice touch. All books should come pocket-sized, because alwa...more
David
Good summary but gets pretty confusing about 80% into it. Starts talking about Kaons and the varieties. Clearly important stuff, but not explained clearly. A simple summary chart would help. Enjoyable sum,wry though. It is out of date so keeps promising results from LHC. Obviously Higgs is the big news from last year but it would be useful to know if some of the other research suggested bore fruit in the intervening years.
Philip
Does what it says on the tin. A very comprehensive overview of particle physics given the small size of the book. Well worth reading if you're interested in particle physics.

Only criticism is that sometimes an idea will be introduced very quickly and then used as if second nature. This isn't a book designed to read in one sitting!
Michael
The title pretty much sums up what I was looking for in this book, and also exactly what I got out of it. I docked it a star because the later chapters start to gloss over advanced material, but the beginning is a perfect explanation of the basics of the subject.
Neil
I'm not done with this book yet. However...
A bit simplistic in the first few chapters and sadly lacking in diagrams that would have helped considerably for people new to physics. It is now quite out of date now that the LHC is running. The book needs updating IMHO.
Dan Cohen
A good book, on the whole, and engagingly written. It suffers, as so many popular science books do, from veering between being too easy and general to being too detailed and hard to follow, but it does what it says on the cover.
Sourena Kazemi
اگه میخوای از فیزیک کوانتم سر در بیاری و بفهمی دانشمندا دقیقا در آزمایشگاه های خودشون چه غلطی میکنن خوندن این کتاب و بهت پیشنهاد میکنم
خیلی خوب و ساده نوشته که هرکسی با یکم سابقه مطالعه در فیزیک بتونه متوچه بشه
George
Found this book helpful in explaining W bosons in relation to quantum theory. I will still have to do more reading on colour charges and positrons (which do seem very interesting.)
Debra
I know more now than I did before...even if I didn't understand all of it. Useful, interesting and mainly comprehensible to the non-science person.
Jan
A good book to keep on hand as a quick reference and refresher. Was referred by another reader and would pass that reference on.
Roddy
First third of the book was interesting but then things got very dry as the symbols and abstract text took over.
Sam Bruskin
great! exactly what it says. v timely for discovery of higgsand explaining to friends what you already know.
Safi Ahmed
A excellent introduction to the subject for those who couldn't get past middle school science.
Angela
too much history of physicists and not enough theory or explanation of principle for my taste.
Gendou
A very good overview. Not too watered down, as many popular physics books sadly tend to be.
Daniel Wright
Up, down, strange, charm, bottom, top. All this and more. It is... what you are made of.
Valia
Feb 07, 2011 Valia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: гуманитариям
Shelves: popular-science
Отличная книга для тех, кто совсем не сечет в физике, как я.
  • Quantum Theory: A Very Short Introduction
  • Aristotle: A Very Short Introduction
  • Myth: A Very Short Introduction
  • Feminism: A Very Short Introduction
Francis Edwin Close

In addition to his scientific research, he is known for his lectures and writings making science intelligible to a wider audience.

From Oxford he went to Stanford University in California for two years as a Postdoctoral Fellow on the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center. In 1973 he went to the Daresbury Laboratory in Cheshire and then to CERN in Switzerland from 1973–5. He joined t...more
More about Frank Close...
Antimatter Nothing: A Very Short Introduction Neutrino The Infinity Puzzle: Quantum Field Theory and the Hunt for an Orderly Universe The Void