Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “فیزیک ذرات” as Want to Read:
فیزیک ذرات
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating

فیزیک ذرات (Very Short Introductions #109)

by
3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  285 ratings  ·  41 reviews
In this compelling introduction to the fundamental particles that make up the universe, Frank Close takes us on a journey into the atom to examine known particles such as quarks, electrons, and the ghostly neutrino. Along the way he provides fascinating insights into how discoveries in particle physics have actually been made, and discusses how our picture of the world has ...more
دانش معاصر [۷]‏, 192 pages
Published 2008 by فرهنگ معاصر (first published 2004)
more details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about فیزیک ذرات, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about فیزیک ذرات

This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30 of 655)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  rating details
Komail

آجرهای ساختمان عالم چیستند؟ از چه ساخته شده ایم؟

دنیای ذرات زیر اتمی ، ذرات سازنده عالم، یکی از جذاب ترین و پر ابهام ترین حوزه های دانش بشری است.آنجا که علاوه بر جستجوی سنگ بناهای آفرینش ماده و هستی میتوان به درک لحظات نخستین آفرینش نیز نزدیک شد...

سری کتابهای
a very short introduction
که تعدادی از آنها به همت انتشارات فرهنگ معاصر تحت عنوان " دانش معاصر" ترجمه و چاپ شده اند را از دست ندهید.
Bojan Tunguz
One of the most intriguing and fascinating scientific stories of the 20th century has been the incredible advance in our understanding of matter in its most fundamental form. In a nutshell, the 20th century has seen the vindication of the atomic hypothesis: all of the nature, the matter and even the interactions of matter, can be reduced to a finite number of indivisible particles. It turns out that atoms, the original candidates for irreducible particles as their name suggests, are in fact comp ...more
Aaron
There is some special sense of futility tied to the task of presenting physics without math. It's like parents trying to explain their impending divorce to their eight-year-old daughter. Bereft of any sort of background knowledge that would allow her to actually understand that reasons for what is happening, the parents must rely upon absolute pronouncements and the deployment of similes even more tortured than this one. But much like that child, I am lacking in background experience. I never le ...more
Alvaro Zinos-Amaro
Frank Close packs in a lot of information in this “very short” introduction (notice there’s no promise about difficulty!). That is at once this book’s biggest strength and its potential challenge. The reader who picks it up expecting a breezy, bird’s-eye-view of particle physics is in for a surprise. But if you stick with it, your efforts will be amply rewarded. In ten concise, albeit dense, chapters, Close covers everything from the basic scale of fundamental particles and forces and the three ...more
Hussain Ali
هذا الكتاب عبارة عن مقدمة مختصرة وصلبة جدًا، يمكن للمهتم في قراءة فيزياء الكون ومراحل نشأته وعملية تطوره المستمر؛ يمكنه أن يقرأ هذه الكتيب الجميل، كل شيء بسلاسة وبساطة إلى الفصل السابع، بعد ذلك سيصعب على من لا يمتلك خبرة في مفاهيم الفيزياء الحديثة وميكانيكا الكم أن يهضم المفاهيم العلمية الدقيقة، وفائدة هذا الكتاب الحقيقية هي كما قلت في البداية "فهم الصغير جدًا لهضم الكبير جدًا" فيزياء الجسيمات هي المفتاح الرئيسي لفهم أسرار الكون، أو أحد المفاتيح الرئيسية -تجنبًا للمبالغة-
وما يميز الكتاب الصغير ف
...more
Thaer Dieb
كتاب ممتاز جدا, مشكلته الوحيدة انه معقد قليلا في بعض فصوله.
بعد ان قرات كتاب فيزياء المستحيل اثارت اهتمامي مسالة فيزياء الجسيمات ولذلك سارعت لقراءة هذا الكتاب عندما وقعت عليه مباشرة.
وقد يبدو حجم الكتاب صغيرا لكن الحقيقة انه يحتاج لوقت طويل واحتمال ان لا تستطيع فهم كل شئ فيه بدقة.
يتحدث الكتاب عن الجسيمات تحت ذرية أي التي حجمها اصغر من حجم ذرة, وللمفاجاة فهناك عدد هائل من هذه الجسيمات, هناك أنواع لم أسمع بها في حياتي.
لكن بشكل اساسي هناك 3 جسيمات رئيسية في الكون وهي الالكرتونات والكواركات والنيوترين
...more
Portia Costa
I must admit that this was a hard struggle for me to read. Not that there's anything wrong with the book. The author has a great style and explains difficult concepts extremely well. It's just a little too advanced for me. It did fill me with a great sense of wonder and awe though, at the way the universe is built and the magical world of the infinitesimally tiny. Despite my scientific shortcomings, I was able to grasp some new to me knowledge.
David Roberts
The book I read to research this post was Particle Physics A Very Short Introduction by Frank Close which is a very good book which I bought from kindle. This book is part of a series of approximately 300 which get an expert in a field to write roughly 150 pages as an introduction to their subject. They are generally fairly although this book is quite complex in places. It is interesting though especially the stuff on colliders like the one at CERN in Geneva which is 27 km long and underground a ...more
So Hakim
As the title says, a *very* short introduction to particle physics. Not that it's bad: with 129 pages the author did good job to explain basic quirks of particle physics, including all the exotic names. The only drawback is in chapter 5-6.

Right after explaining quarks & neutrino, the author suddenly jumps to how accelerators and detectors work -- the experimental detail -- and after that jump back again to the theoretical side about four fundamental forces. I feel the narrative was hurt by
...more
Steve
If you're looking for a clearer understanding of what the scientists at CERN are up to - or perhaps you just have an urge to know your baryon from your meson - this is the book to buy. I've read quite a few of the Very Short Introductions, on all sort of topics, and author Frank Close is to be commended for making Particle Physics one of the very best. It's concise, inspiring, crammed with facts (rather than opinions) and not so advanced as to curtail the beginner's attempt to gain a foothold. I ...more
BJ Rose
I am not a scientist, and I have only a basic understanding of physics. So altho this is A Very Short Introduction to particle physics, it's still contains strong elements of an unknown foreign language to me.
And I was doing fine until the formulas started coming in chapter 4! The most significant thing I recall after that is that anti-matter destroys matter in a flash of light, and that positrons are destroyed when they collide with electrons. But that's OK - that I didn't get that much out of
...more
Roger
This I found to be an excellent introduction to particle physics. The enthusiasm of the author for his subject comes across very strongly and Frank Close, who is a Professor of Physics at Oxford University, is obviously very knowledgeable about particle physics. In what is a short volume (part of the "A Very Short Introduction" series) he covers a lot of ground in a clear manner and without the need for any mathematics. Close was able to explain some concepts to me, a non-physicist, with much be ...more
Krollo
This is a gem of a book. Admittedly, when one attempts to explain the entirety of particle physics from scratch in 130 pages, there is going to be some loss of clarity. On the whole, the book was readable, but as the going got tough towards the end I seemed to lose my way. It's a great book for what it is, but I'd recommend something a little bigger for the added comprehension.
Bogdan Gavriliuc
The amount I learned (and can probably still learn by re-reading) from this book impressed me.

I had heard of all of the names thrown around: quark, muon, leptopn, boson, gluon, pion, etc.
But only now do I have a better understanding of which is which, and why they were named so.
As with all other physics books, I still wish the math was present.

Only downsides is that at rare times, I couldn't match a particular paragraph with the diagram.

Not that it's really spoilers but:
(view spoiler)
...more
Ned Peneguy
Unlike most of the OUP's excellent "Very Short Introduction" series, this particular volume was very poorly written. There were several examples of non-sentences masquerading as sentences. One gets the distinct impression the author became tired of writing the book a little past the half-way mark, an exhaustion surpassed only by the reader's fatigue in trying to parse her way through the clumsily assembled miscellania of questionably related facts and slapdash sentences.
Rory
A wonderfully informative introduction to particle physics. Frank Close introduces, at a very general level, some of the basic issues surrounding subject in an incredibly clear way. The clarity is achieved firstly by a very lucid writing style, that should make this accessible for any intelligent layperson interested in the subject, along with diagrams, which are another fantastic aid when reading the text. Depending on what one wants from this text, one may be disappointed that it does not requ ...more
Malcolm Cross
Naturally, since this is a technical work, I'm rating it more on the quality and breadth of the information contained - which is top notch, and while meaty on the science side, was still something I managed to follow quite cogently.

I may still not understand the full picture of quarks and particle physics, but this book's given me a good thumbnail view of what that picture looks like at a distance.
Winston O'Toole
Particle physics is so cool. I've tried a few times before to teach myself some of the subject but never got anywhere. There are just too many particles and it gets confusing and I never knew up from down or strange from charm anymore. This book though. This book fucking gets it. Very clear, very informative. I'll probably pick up a few others from this series, in hopes they will be the same level of quality.

Also: the pocket-size was a nice touch. All books should come pocket-sized, because alwa
...more
Abanoub Edwared
احساس جديد انك تقرا حاجة من علوم القرن الواحد والعشرين
الواحد عمرة كلة بيدرس فى العلوم وكلية العلوم وفى الاخر يطلع كل دة اكتشافات سنة 1950
احنا متأخرين مش بس تطبيقيا ، احنا متأخرين علميا بقرن كامل
التجديد مطلوب بردو
David
Good summary but gets pretty confusing about 80% into it. Starts talking about Kaons and the varieties. Clearly important stuff, but not explained clearly. A simple summary chart would help. Enjoyable sum,wry though. It is out of date so keeps promising results from LHC. Obviously Higgs is the big news from last year but it would be useful to know if some of the other research suggested bore fruit in the intervening years.
Fares Alahmar
Very informative, but too complicated to be called a short introduction..
Aya Mahmoud
الكتاب صعب ومفهمتهوش كله بس فادني
Philip
Does what it says on the tin. A very comprehensive overview of particle physics given the small size of the book. Well worth reading if you're interested in particle physics.

Only criticism is that sometimes an idea will be introduced very quickly and then used as if second nature. This isn't a book designed to read in one sitting!
Michael
The title pretty much sums up what I was looking for in this book, and also exactly what I got out of it. I docked it a star because the later chapters start to gloss over advanced material, but the beginning is a perfect explanation of the basics of the subject.
Neil
I'm not done with this book yet. However...
A bit simplistic in the first few chapters and sadly lacking in diagrams that would have helped considerably for people new to physics. It is now quite out of date now that the LHC is running. The book needs updating IMHO.
Dan Cohen
A good book, on the whole, and engagingly written. It suffers, as so many popular science books do, from veering between being too easy and general to being too detailed and hard to follow, but it does what it says on the cover.
Sourena Kazemi
اگه میخوای از فیزیک کوانتم سر در بیاری و بفهمی دانشمندا دقیقا در آزمایشگاه های خودشون چه غلطی میکنن خوندن این کتاب و بهت پیشنهاد میکنم
خیلی خوب و ساده نوشته که هرکسی با یکم سابقه مطالعه در فیزیک بتونه متوچه بشه
George
Found this book helpful in explaining W bosons in relation to quantum theory. I will still have to do more reading on colour charges and positrons (which do seem very interesting.)
Debra
I know more now than I did before...even if I didn't understand all of it. Useful, interesting and mainly comprehensible to the non-science person.
Jan
A good book to keep on hand as a quick reference and refresher. Was referred by another reader and would pass that reference on.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 21 22 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Quantum Theory: A Very Short Introduction
  • Relativity: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Brain: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Laws of Thermodynamics: A Very Short Introduction
  • The Elements: A Very Short Introduction
  • Game Theory: A Very Short Introduction
  • Memory: A Very Short Introduction
  • Human Evolution
  • Logic: A Very Short Introduction
  • Chaos: A Very Short Introduction
  • Consciousness: A Very Short Introduction
  • Mathematics: A Very Short Introduction
  • Socialism: A Very Short Introduction
  • Plato: A Very Short Introduction
  • Cosmology: A Very Short Introduction
  • Global Warming: A Very Short Introduction
  • Political Philosophy: A Very Short Introduction
  • Classical Mythology: A Very Short Introduction
65857
Francis Edwin Close (Arabic: فرانك كلوس)

In addition to his scientific research, he is known for his lectures and writings making science intelligible to a wider audience.

From Oxford he went to Stanford University in California for two years as a Postdoctoral Fellow on the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center. In 1973 he went to the Daresbury Laboratory in Cheshire and then to CERN in Switzerland fro
...more
More about Frank Close...
Antimatter Nothing: A Very Short Introduction Neutrino The Infinity Puzzle: Quantum Field Theory and the Hunt for an Orderly Universe The Void

Share This Book