Start by marking “The First American Army: The Untold Story of George Washington and the Men Behind America's First Fight for Freedom” as Want to Read:

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  13 reviews
This is the first book that offers a you-are-there look at the American Revolution through the eyes of the enlisted men. Through searing portraits of individual soldiers, Bruce Chadwick, author of George Washington's War, brings alive what it was like to serve then in the American army.
With interlocking stories of ordinary Americans, he evokes what it meant to face brutal
Published October 1st 2005 by Sourcebooks (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The First American Army, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The First American Army

Elaine
Wow! Chadwick, using the journals of ordinary soldiers in the Revolution, takes us back in time. We see, hear, and feel vividly what went on. It was like alternating between M.A.S.H and Glory. Yes, the African American Regiment from Rhode Island is given its due, with 2 chapters devoted to it and its phenomenal bravery in holding off the superior British forces in Newport, RI.

A Robert Altman wannabe could have a ball making this into a movie. The Americans were a randy bunch. In staid Boston, so
Andria Simpson-russell
Jason  Schoenleber
An incredible history of the first continental army told through the diaries and accounts of the people who fought in it. From a doctor, to a farmer, minister, and 17 yr old who all were inspired to join the American Revolution. There are times when the authors writing is not fantastic, but overall it is well put together.
Eppie
5 stars for our badass citizen soldiers, minus one star for the authors presentation. Chadwick skips around the timeline so much it detracts from the subject matter. This was a decent overview of the entire war, and gave me some interesting threads to follow for further reading.
Hilmi Isa
Buku ini merupakan sebuah buku sejarah mengenai Peperangan Kemerdekaan Amerika Syarikat 1775-1783. Namun demikian,apa yang menariknya mengenai buku ini adalah fokus utama diberikan kepada pengalaman yang dirasai oleh anggota-anggota tentera/militia biasa. Bukannya mereka yang berpangkat tinggi dan ternama. Penulis menjadikan diari,jurnal dan surat mereka yang terlibat di dalam peperangan tersebut sebagai rujukannya.
Mike
A nice look at the life and conditions of the soldier during the Revolutionary War. The writer wrote one chapter of the women during that time and basically called them all camp followers and whores. To me, it was a real drawback of the book and lowered the rating.
Emily
I honestly can't rate this book because I really could finish it. It just moved way to slow for me and if I'm going to read I need something that keeps my interest. Maybe I'll try again but not right now.
Jim
Really enjoyed this book. I learned a great deal from it. The things they recorded were amazing. What a hard time it was for everyone.
Goatville9
Told from the perspective of individual soldiers provides a new spin on a well known conflict
Julie
Good general book for the American Revolution, but not to use for serious research.
Brad
Another crappy book by Bruce Chadwick. Stupid, boring, unoriginal, and crappy!
Jennifer Vichich
Great history lesson sans the romanticism.
Bryan Clagett
Decent and worth the time.
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Brian O'neal
Brian O'neal marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Ashley Warren
Ashley Warren is currently reading it
Feb 03, 2015
Ann
Ann is currently reading it
Jan 31, 2015
Toni
Toni marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Pierke Bosschieter
Pierke Bosschieter marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Stevek
Stevek marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Needaname
Needaname marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Byl
Byl marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Jon
Jon added it
Nov 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
I Am Murdered: George Wythe, Thomas Jefferson, and the Killing That Shocked a New Nation George Washington's War: The Forging of a Revolutionary Leader and the American Presidency 1858: Abraham Lincoln, Jefferson Davis, Robert E. Lee, Ulysses S. Grant and the War They Failed to See The General and Mrs. Washington: The Untold Story of a Marriage & a Revolution Triumvirate: The Story of the Unlikely Alliance That Saved the Constitution and United the Nation