Start by marking “The Beginner's Guide to Edible Herbs: 26 Herbs Everyone Should Grow and Enjoy” as Want to Read:
The Beginner's Guide to Edible Herbs: 26 Herbs Everyone Should Grow and Enjoy

The Beginner's Guide to Edible Herbs: 26 Herbs Everyone Should Grow and Enjoy

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Discover the delicious pleasures of herb gardening!In The Beginner's Guide to Edible Herbs, you'll find complete information on growing, harvesting, preserving, and cooking with 26 of the most popular kitchen herbs, including basil, cilantro, dill, garlic, lavender, lemon balm, oregano, parsley, rosemary, and sage. Beautiful four-color photographs bring every plant to life ...more
Published April 17th 2010 by Storey Publishing, LLC (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Beginner's Guide to Edible Herbs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beginner's Guide to Edible Herbs

Tamara
The organization was scattered. For example, a useful guide to appropriate pot sizes for various herbs was buried on a page about catnip and only included a handful of herbs. At least for anyone looking to start container gardening, this is not the book for you.

I was able to glean sun/shade and water requirements for most herbs, but I could probably find just as much info on the tag that comes with the plants at the garden center...

(P.S. For anyone interested in knowing which plants pair well t
Cassandra
There is a longer review at my blog.

This is just what it says it is: an excellent beginner's guide, with the 26 herbs arranged in alphabetical order, with information on planting, growing and harvesting them, as well as some recipes and other suggestions for use.
Wilma
Very informative book on growing, preparing and preserving herbs. This has everything from growing basil to making your own ketchup, herbal jams, herbal teas, flavored sugars and salts! I thought the book was accessible, well organized and the recipes well-written. The informative HERBS AT A GLANCE tables at the back were excellent. I'm adding a couple of new herbs to my herb garden this year based on this book: calendula, caraway, savory, anise hyssop.
Susan
Fantastic little herb book. Makes me want to start planting right away. The recipe suggestions: pestos, butters, cheeses, oils, and marinades are inspiring. Good tips on cultivating, propogating, and harvesting, presented in an easily readible concise form. Good to keep handy as a reference.
Kathleen
has all the basic info one would need to plan one's first herb garden. would love to own a copy--but would probably only buy it used. there isn't enough here to justify paying full price for it. lots of pretty pictures, not as much information.
Melissa Jeter
I loved this book. It has inspired me to actually use the herbs in my yard. Teas, jellies, jams, and salts, these are great uses for herbs growing in the garden. What a great way to add flavor to your cooking and enjoyment to your life.
Brandi
This book had so much useful information in it, and do many different ideas of what you could do with your herbs. I usually grow mint and basil, but I think after reading this I might try adding at least one more herb to my garden.
Cherie
Good beginner herb book - I knew a lot of this already but nothiing everything. I never seemed to figure out the way it was organized. Wish they had more growing tips instead of so many recipes (though some of them sounded yum).
Angie
This book is exactly what it claims to be - a beginner's guide to 26 specific herbs - and has been helpful as I've set up my own herb garden.
Jackie W.
Love that it has ways to use the herbs you grow...can't wait to see how they do this summer :)
Mary
This is a good, basic book about growing herbs. Wish I'd read it before I planted my herb garden.
Vicky
Vicky marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Rheta Thola
Rheta Thola is currently reading it
May 05, 2015
Otter
Otter marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Jeanette Griebel
Jeanette Griebel marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Janie
Janie marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Allaa Faried
Allaa Faried marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Danica Ingram
Danica Ingram marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Tori
Tori marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Carolina May
Carolina May marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Arwen
Arwen marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
The Weather-Resilient Garden: A Defensive Approach to Planning & Landscaping Massachusetts Trail Guide, 8th: AMC Guide to Hiking Trails in Massachusetts Fall Foliage: The Mystery, Science, and Folklore of Autumn Leaves Easy-Care Water Garden Plants: Storey's Country Wisdom Bulletin A-236 (Storey Country Wisdom Bulletin, a-236) Discover the Berkshires of Massachusetts: AMC Guide to the Best Hiking, Biking, and Paddling