Start by marking “The Beginner's Guide to Edible Herbs: 26 Herbs Everyone Should Grow and Enjoy” as Want to Read:
The Beginner's Guide to Edible Herbs: 26 Herbs Everyone Should Grow and Enjoy

The Beginner's Guide to Edible Herbs: 26 Herbs Everyone Should Grow and Enjoy

Nothing tastes better than herbs fresh from the garden. Discover how easy and rewarding it is to grow your own! Simple instructions, tempting dishes, and beautiful full-color photographs will inspire you to grow, harvest, preserve, and cook with 26 of the most popular kitchen herbs, including basil, chives, cilantro, dill, fennel, garlic, lavender, oregano, parsley, rosema ...more
Published April 17th 2010 by Storey Publishing, LLC (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Beginner's Guide to Edible Herbs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beginner's Guide to Edible Herbs

Tamara
Feb 20, 2011 Tamara rated it it was ok
The organization was scattered. For example, a useful guide to appropriate pot sizes for various herbs was buried on a page about catnip and only included a handful of herbs. At least for anyone looking to start container gardening, this is not the book for you.

I was able to glean sun/shade and water requirements for most herbs, but I could probably find just as much info on the tag that comes with the plants at the garden center...

(P.S. For anyone interested in knowing which plants pair well t
Melody Williams
Aug 15, 2016 Melody Williams rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book! Very useful for basic knowledge on many common herbs. All sorts of information from recipes to how to them, to how to store and preserve differently herbs.
Cassandra
Aug 24, 2015 Cassandra rated it liked it
Shelves: garden
There is a longer review at my blog.

This is just what it says it is: an excellent beginner's guide, with the 26 herbs arranged in alphabetical order, with information on planting, growing and harvesting them, as well as some recipes and other suggestions for use.
Loretta Grant
May 13, 2016 Loretta Grant rated it it was amazing
Very useful. I like how it has tips for growing and recipes. I really liked all the ways of recommended to preserve the herbs.
Sharie
Feb 04, 2016 Sharie rated it really liked it
Nice grid in the back
Wilma
Jan 06, 2011 Wilma rated it really liked it
Very informative book on growing, preparing and preserving herbs. This has everything from growing basil to making your own ketchup, herbal jams, herbal teas, flavored sugars and salts! I thought the book was accessible, well organized and the recipes well-written. The informative HERBS AT A GLANCE tables at the back were excellent. I'm adding a couple of new herbs to my herb garden this year based on this book: calendula, caraway, savory, anise hyssop.
Susan
Apr 13, 2011 Susan rated it it was amazing
Fantastic little herb book. Makes me want to start planting right away. The recipe suggestions: pestos, butters, cheeses, oils, and marinades are inspiring. Good tips on cultivating, propogating, and harvesting, presented in an easily readible concise form. Good to keep handy as a reference.
Kathleen
has all the basic info one would need to plan one's first herb garden. would love to own a copy--but would probably only buy it used. there isn't enough here to justify paying full price for it. lots of pretty pictures, not as much information.
Melissa Jeter
Jul 02, 2011 Melissa Jeter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gardening
I loved this book. It has inspired me to actually use the herbs in my yard. Teas, jellies, jams, and salts, these are great uses for herbs growing in the garden. What a great way to add flavor to your cooking and enjoyment to your life.
Brandi
Feb 03, 2012 Brandi rated it really liked it
Shelves: agriculture
This book had so much useful information in it, and do many different ideas of what you could do with your herbs. I usually grow mint and basil, but I think after reading this I might try adding at least one more herb to my garden.
Cherie
May 13, 2011 Cherie rated it liked it
Good beginner herb book - I knew a lot of this already but nothiing everything. I never seemed to figure out the way it was organized. Wish they had more growing tips instead of so many recipes (though some of them sounded yum).
Angie
Mar 26, 2012 Angie rated it really liked it
This book is exactly what it claims to be - a beginner's guide to 26 specific herbs - and has been helpful as I've set up my own herb garden.
Jackie W.
Apr 16, 2011 Jackie W. rated it really liked it
Love that it has ways to use the herbs you grow...can't wait to see how they do this summer :)
Mary
Aug 07, 2010 Mary rated it really liked it
This is a good, basic book about growing herbs. Wish I'd read it before I planted my herb garden.
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2016
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Sallie Lester
Sallie Lester rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Rachel
Rachel added it
Jan 18, 2016
Julie  Webb
Julie Webb rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2015
Susan Mitchell
Susan Mitchell rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2015
Vicky
Vicky marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Ninette
Ninette rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2015