Start by marking “What Do You Do With a Chocolate Jesus?: An Irreverent History of Christianity” as Want to Read:
What Do You Do With a Chocolate Jesus?: An Irreverent History of Christianity

What Do You Do With a Chocolate Jesus?: An Irreverent History of Christianity

"What Do You Do with a Chocolate Jesus?" is a funny, skeptical, but authentic exploration of the Christian history they don’t teach in Sunday school. It finds humor, irony, and occasional insight amid the inconsistencies, absurdities, hypocrisies, and flat out weirdness that too often passes for eternal truth. Think of it as a history of religion as done by The Daily Show. ...more
Published January 13th 2010 by BookSurge Publishing (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about What Do You Do With a Chocolate Jesus?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Do You Do With a Chocolate Jesus?

Natasha (Diarist) Holme
Apr 22, 2015 Natasha (Diarist) Holme rated it really liked it
Thomas Quinn is a funny guy. I appreciated the gentle understatement of his digs at Christianity, for example:

The next morning, when he wakes up hungry, Jesus spots a fig tree. But there's nothing on it except leaves. So, this is what the Gospel writers claim Jesus says ... to the tree:
"May no fruit ever come from you again!" And the fig tree withered at once. [Mark 11:13, Matt 21:18]
I always felt sorry for that fig tree, though I suppose the scene would've been uglier if Jesus had been thirsty
Marcelo
Jun 13, 2013 Marcelo rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everybody!
Recommended to Marcelo by: Point of Inquiry podcast
If you always thought the utter destruction of all religious thought would be fun, Thomas Quinn shows you fun.

First of all, this is a skeptic book. Are we clear? Ok, because I don't think you could handle it if you have the faintest gossamer of religiosity in you. On the other hand, if you're a skeptic, agnostic or plain and simple atheist, I dare you to try and put this book down once you started reading it. I also dare you not to laugh out loud with Quinn's witty, well-timed humor. The author
Patti
Nov 20, 2013 Patti rated it it was amazing
***Won in a Goodreads Giveaway***

I'm not anti-religion. I'm anti-shove your religion in my face and tell me that your way is the only way. I'm anti-the bible is the be-all end-all.

This outstanding book shows how Christianity came to be, despite the fact that the bible contradicts itself in many, many ways. I got a reminder of some old stuff and learned some new.

Quinn's funny take on the subject matter made it much easier to digest. I wouldn't call it irreverent at all, just laugh out loud funny
Melissa
Jul 30, 2016 Melissa rated it really liked it
This is one book on Christian history that I really enjoyed. Skeptical, honest, and many parts were humorous it was hard to put down. It also helped me see things I already thought I knew in a new light while learning so much more as well.
Timothy McNeil
Sep 26, 2013 Timothy McNeil rated it liked it
Shelves: religion, non-fiction
I wanted to like this book more, but:

1) Quinn decides that proof doesn't equal actual proof when it comes to archaeological evidence of where the Hebrews had been (such as Egypt or the Sinai Peninsula).
2) Quinn completely ignores Jesus (reportedly) having said that he was not here (on Earth) to change any of the old (Hebrew) rules.
3) Quinn gives no service to the actual denominational differences that fragment modern (post-Reformation) Christianity.

He is a little to taken with what he assumes i
Johanne
Mar 16, 2013 Johanne rated it really liked it
I would have given it 5 stars but the blokey rather American (go figure etc..) style was sometimes wearing. that said it is an excellent run through the Bible funny and informative even for someone who is reasonably familiar with the myths. It starts with its debt to any number of previously popular deities and stories (although it skips my favourite Moses-alike - Sargon and his basket) and then looks at the inconsistencies, contradictions and just plain lunacy of the old & new testaments. A ...more
Oct 21, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing
this book was packed with facts about the history of Christianity – it didn't go into great detail, but given an excellent overview. I learned a lot from it. I also like the fact that the author's tone was very evenhanded – he had no problem criticizing Christianity, but he didn't use vitriol to do it. He kept up a pretty neutral tone, although he did outline some of the abuses of the churches, especially in the Middle Ages. A lot of atheist books I read are really attacks on religion – in a ...more
Jennifer Matt
Oct 09, 2013 Jennifer Matt rated it it was amazing
I feel that I have the same twisted sense of humor as the author, so I really couldn't stop reading this. If you are very sensitive about your religion or have a closed mind, this book is probably not for you.

Interesting facts with humor in all the right spots, you just can't go wrong. With all that said, I still do not feel this was a religion bashing book. I think he handles the topic beautifully.

My parents left the Catholic church years ago for half the things that are addressed in this book.
Stephanie McGarrity
May 02, 2011 Stephanie McGarrity rated it did not like it
I thought this was going to be more satire than mocking the Christian faith. I realize now that I should've been more tipped off by the title. I suppose it's my own mistake. I didn't care for the voice of the author in this book and while I welcome opposing views in my book collection, this one didn't put up much of an argument for athiesm. It came off more like a biased rant from a person who was hurt by the Christian church and not allowed to question anything theologically for some time.

I'd
Tracy St Claire
Dec 15, 2014 Tracy St Claire rated it really liked it
Chocolate Jesus is a humorous book whose purpose, sucessfully, is to debunk Christian Mythos. The book is a quick education of the Old and New Testaments with information on where those stories originated in mythology. He describes what Christ said in the Bible veersus what some Christians of today stand for. He convincingly disputes America's origins as a Christian nation, or even Christian values nation. Excellent reading for anyone, if you can handle it.
Mel
Sep 10, 2013 Mel rated it it was amazing
An enjoyable "down and dirty" history of Christianity that looks at the faith warts and all. I got a free copy from the author and was very pleasantly surprised by the history, which is both deep and enlightening but also the humor! This is the religious history book that keeps you smiling and learning. A well written fun read!
Josh
Aug 29, 2011 Josh rated it really liked it
Good book that goes through a bit of the historicity about Christianity and touches some on the old testament. The author's ax gets in the grinder's way and distracts from the focal point, but otherwise an entertaining and educational read.
Chelcey
Oct 27, 2015 Chelcey rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, learning
Enjoyed this audiobook very much. Was a little hard to follow at times but very entertaining with a lot of good information to think about.
Sam
Oct 16, 2013 Sam rated it liked it
I guess I like my criticisms of religion to be a little drier, because I found the homour in this book to be somewhat grating at times.

It was an interesting read, though.
Karen Garcia
Jun 18, 2012 Karen Garcia rated it liked it
Hilarious and insightful!! You will laugh out loud as the author unravels the absurdity of religious dogma of all sects and persuasions.
Julie Isen
Nov 15, 2013 Julie Isen rated it it was amazing
As a non-Christian who has studied and is fascinated by religion, I loved this book. It's snarky and fun yet full of facts and questions.
Jennifer Howenstine
Jennifer Howenstine rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2015
Peter Jacobsson
Peter Jacobsson rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2014
John Strubhart
John Strubhart rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2014
Sydney Radebe
Sydney Radebe rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2015
Mfraiser
Mfraiser rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2012
Jackie Bagadiong
Jackie Bagadiong rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2012
Mark
Mark rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2012
David
David rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2015
Jeff
Jeff rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2014
Kevan
Kevan rated it it was ok
Jul 20, 2014
Muyu Kamu
Muyu Kamu rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2015
Dan
Dan rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2014
Michael Lemons
Michael Lemons rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2016
Jbute
Jbute rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • God Hates You, Hate Him Back: Making Sense of the Bible
  • The Lost Books of the Bible: The Great Rejected Texts
  • The Religion Virus: Why We Believe in God: An Evolutionist Explains Religion's Incredible Hold on Humanity
  • Finding God in the Bible: What Crazy Prophets, Fickle Followers and Dangerous Outlaws Reveal about Friendship with God
  • The Suffering and Victorious Christ: Toward a More Compassionate Christology
  • The Story of Jesus in History and Faith
  • The Book of Ephesus: A Novel
  • Called: The Crisis and Promise of Following Jesus Today
  • Exploring Faith and Reason: The Reconciliation of Christianity and Biological Evolution
  • The New Jefferson Bible: The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth in Modern English
  • H.L. Mencken on Religion
  • A Story of Christmas and All of Us: Companion to the Hit TV Miniseries
  • The Historical David: The Real Life of an Invented Hero
  • The Fallacy of Fine-Tuning: Why the Universe Is Not Designed for Us
  • The Harlot by the Side of the Road: Forbidden Tales of the Bible
  • Jesus Wars: How Four Patriarchs, Three Queens, and Two Emperors Decided What Christians Would Believe for the Next 1,500 years
  • Generation Atheist