Start by marking “Toot & Puddle: Puddle's ABC” as Want to Read:
Toot & Puddle: Puddle's ABC

Toot & Puddle: Puddle's ABC (Toot & Puddle )

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  133 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Otto wants to learn how to write his name, but he doesn't know the alphabet. So Puddle decides to teach him using his own original words and pictures.
Published September 1st 2000 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Toot & Puddle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Toot & Puddle

Sierra
Sep 07, 2012 Sierra rated it it was ok
This book introduced letters and the alphabet and then went in to a couple different words that started with each letter. Although it’s a good read aloud book for pre-kindergarten students to familiarize themselves with letters of the alphabet and how to spell. It would be useful as an alphabet reference or a “tutor” type book but I wouldn’t read it to students older than kindergarten because by that time children should know their alphabet and be writing mini sentences! Puddle paints throughout ...more
Jack
Dec 29, 2015 Jack rated it really liked it
Shelves: k-g-4
Written and illustrated by Holly Hobbie (Denise Holly Ulinskas). Lovely watercolor illustrations. "One day Puddle decided to teach Otto how to write his name" resulting is a nice ABC book.
Age Range: 3 - 6 years
Grade Level: Preschool - 1
Sarah Ashburn
Jun 01, 2015 Sarah Ashburn rated it really liked it
Shelves: language-play
I really enjoyed this book. I think it would be great for young children who are learning their ABCs and the different sounds that these letters make. I really like the repetition and the use of similar sounds for the letters of the alphabet. Great children's book!
Karen
Feb 15, 2014 Karen rated it liked it
My five-year-old son picked this book out from the library this week. He really likes ABC books.

The ABC part of this book was fine, even cute, although definitely not brilliant. The rest of the book -- eh, felt like a lot of filler to me.
Mar 24, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I thought it was a cute book of helpfulness and friendship. I also love alphabet books.
Candice
Sep 23, 2011 Candice rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sophie, children just beginning to learn their alphabet
Shelves: picture-books
Another fun-to-read Toot & Puddle book. There are a lot of alphabet books out there, and this one ranks in the top tier. It's an alphabet book with a story, as Puddle the pig is teaching his turtle friend Otto the alphabet so that Otto can write his name. Each letter has an engaging picture and a short description. Rather than just one word per letter, most of them have phrases, like "crocodile crunching carrots" and "itchy inchworm". Does Otto learn enough to write his name? Not only that, ...more
Mckinley
Jul 07, 2014 Mckinley rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture, abc
Nice ABCs; learning them is set within the story.
JoAnna
Oct 06, 2008 JoAnna rated it liked it
This is another alphabet book I chose to read because I am planning on working with younger kids and would find these very useful! This book is full of pigs! One pig named Puddle is trying to teach his friend, Otto all the letters of the alphabet so he can spell his name! I would use this book in my own classroom when we are working on our names. Another one would be to show the students that there are many many ways to learn the letters of the alphabet!
Kimbely Fletcher
Sep 20, 2009 Kimbely Fletcher rated it really liked it
Shelves: toddler-books
Puddle, of Toot and Puddle fame, is called upon to teach Otto the turtle how to spell his name but first must teach him the alphabet. Puddle paints his way through the alphabet with wonderful pictures for each letter. This book is not only a journey through the alphabet, but a story as well. I would use this book to teach the kids how to write their name. I would also use it to teach the kids how to help eachother.
Ronda
Apr 09, 2009 Ronda rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, abc_books
This was a fun read-aloud that I really enjoyed sharing with my son. For some reason, the drawing of the Itchy Inchworm always sent my son into giggles--and of course, that would set me off. Great to share with a child who is feeling kind of overwhelmed with learning all those letters.
Kristine Hansen
Jul 13, 2014 Kristine Hansen rated it it was amazing
Of course we have to have an ABC book, but the story sandwiching the rest is what makes this whole thing worthwhile and another delightful Toot and Puddle book. Just love all of these (and S for "Somebody's Sleeping" really sparks the imagination!)
Christina
Apr 13, 2013 Christina rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb-favorites
This seems like a great book to use in teaching the alphabet to students. It definitely emphasizes the sounds of letters as well as an awareness of print. If I ever teach kindergarten, this book will be on my list!
Tracy
Jan 01, 2011 Tracy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
I love that Puddle is tutoring his friend on letters. A great way to "tutor" young readers without them knowing it! Puddle's illustrations of each letter are charming and sometimes funny!
Rosa
Nov 06, 2013 Rosa rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, 2013
A story with an alphabet portion to it. Toot teaches Otto how to write his name. The quick process is a little misleading but it's still a fun story.
Nancy
Jul 23, 2011 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, alphabet
I like this book because it tells a story as Puddle the Pig teaches his friend Otto the Turtle the alphabet so he can write his name.
A Wanlass
Mar 06, 2008 A Wanlass rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It had a surprisingly good defination of "alphabet." The pictures for each letter were amusing.
Sarah added it
Jun 30, 2016
Miss
Miss added it
Jun 30, 2016
OS
OS rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Krista
Krista rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2016
Hannah Emory
Hannah Emory marked it as to-read
May 05, 2016
Kendra
Kendra rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Bookshelf Study
Bookshelf Study marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Barb
Barb added it
Apr 10, 2016
Sevf
Sevf added it
Mar 26, 2016
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
R Holland
R Holland rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2016
Emily Myhren
Emily Myhren rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2016
  • The ABC Bunny
  • Shiver Me Letters: A Pirate ABC
  • Bear's Picture
  • Museum ABC
  • Are You a Ladybug? (Backyard Books)
  • Peanut Butter and Jellyfishes: A Very Silly Alphabet Book
  • Tomorrow's Alphabet
  • Curious George Goes to School
  • An Annoying ABC
  • The Icky Bug Alphabet Book
  • Tell Me Something Happy Before I Go to Sleep
Birthed with the name of Denise Holly Ulinskas in 1944, Holly Hobbie first sold her distinctive artwork of the little cat-loving girl who carries herself in a rag dress and giant bonnet. It wasn’t until she married Douglas Hobbie in 1964 when she named her originally nameless character after her.
When the first images of the rag-clothed little girl came to the public’s consciousness, the character
More about Holly Hobbie...

Toot & Puddle (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Toot & Puddle (Toot and Puddle)
  • Toot & Puddle: A Present for Toot
  • Toot & Puddle: You Are My Sunshine
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas (Toot & Puddle)
  • Toot & Puddle: Top of the World