Start by marking “Jack and the Giant: A Story Full of Beans” as Want to Read:
Jack and the Giant: A Story Full of Beans

Jack and the Giant: A Story Full of Beans

Jack lives on a hot Arizona ranch and, when a thievin' giant has stolen all the cattle, Jack trades their old milk cow for some magic beans.
Published September 1st 1997 by Cooper Square Pub (first published April 25th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Jack and the Giant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jack and the Giant

Shannon K
Oct 19, 2009 Shannon K added it
Shelves: pbgs-trad
This story is a hilarious twist on Jack and the Beanstalk. It is set in the Southwest and has some crazy character names that go along great with the setting and that I get a real kick out of such as: Annie Okey-Dokey and Wild Bill Hiccup. For me the illustrations are the most important part of this book. On almost every page there is either a cat, rabbit, or some other thing that appears with a little bubble above their heads with really funny sayings inside. The illustrations and the little ad ...more
Sep 18, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Cute take on Jack and the Beanstalk. My kids loved it!
Samantha Graffeo
Jun 29, 2016 Samantha Graffeo rated it did not like it
Title: Jack and the Giant: A story full of beans
Author: Jim Harris
Genre: Legend
Theme(s): Stealing, Creatures
Opening Line: "Once there was a young Cowpoke named Jack, who lived with his ma, Annie Okey-Dokey, on a dusty little ranch."
Brief Book Summary: Its the stories that has been retold a thousand times. Every child grew up hearing it. Jack traded his cow for some magic beans. His mother threw them out the window and they ended up growing into a huge bean stalk. Jack climbs up the bean st
Kristina Befort
This book tells a version of Jack and the Bean Stalk, but in this particular book, Jack lives on a ranch in the desert with his mom. He trades his cow to a peddler for a bag of magic beans, and a beanstalk starts to grow outside of his window. He climbs up the beanstalk to find a giant, who is actually a wanted criminal. The giant wants to eat Jack, but Jack escapes, and takes some of the giant's treasures with him. The uses a buffalo to pull on the bean stalk, then flings the giant across the d ...more
Cherina
Oct 01, 2008 Cherina rated it really liked it
Summary: Jack is a cowboy from the west. He exchanges his family's last cow for some magic beans and chewing gum. His ma is furious and throws the beans on the ground. That night, the beans grow into a huge beanstalk. Jack climbs up the stalk only to find a giant castle at the top. He enters the castle and finds an outlaw giant. Jack steals the giant's buffalo, lasso, and banjo and escapes from the giant. Jack returns to his ma and they live happily ever after.

Uses: Read-aloud (maybe after you h
Nallely Ibarra
Oct 25, 2011 Nallely Ibarra rated it it was ok
This is a different version of "Jack and the Beanstalk". I personally like the original better, but this one is okay too. I think I would have helped if I remember the original version a lot better. I would have this book as an optional reading. I think boys would probably like this book better than girls since it's old western-like. The illustrations are funny and I think the kids would like them.
Alice
Nov 18, 2014 Alice rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-75-stars
2.75 Stars I really wanted to like this retelling of Jack and the Beanstalk with a South Western American Flare...but I got bored....sigh!

The pictures are fun and well done but I just wanted the story to be over. The only fun part is the small bubbles of thought over the cat...he wants pizza...why not?! The cat is the highlight of the piece!
Aug 11, 2008 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
This was a great story. It is the story of Jack and the Beanstalk, but told as an American Western, and it has plenty of adult humor thrown in.

Its also really fun to read aloud, as I tend to do so with a drawl.
Duane
Dec 03, 2008 Duane rated it it was amazing
This is a hilarious take on the "Jack & the Beanstalk" idea! Set in a old west style them, Jack finds himself facing a giant and a buffalo that poops golden chips! Great illustrations and humor throughout, a great read for young and old!
Powers Family
Mar 26, 2011 Powers Family rated it really liked it
Cute parody of Jack and the Beanstalk - done in a Western theme. Great to discuss the difference from the original and/or to ask about how your child would write a version of the story.
DixieJo
Apr 11, 2009 DixieJo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
Really well written Texas/Cowpoke Jack in the Beanstock story. Cute and charming illustrastions too
Tessa
May 11, 2015 Tessa rated it liked it
Changed setting for Jack and the Beanstalk. Wild West. Long.
Chelsy
Chelsy rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2013
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was ok
Apr 24, 2015
Amber Manning
Amber Manning rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2016
Terrence
Terrence rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2013
Carrie
Carrie rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2017
Alexis
Alexis rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2015
Casey
Casey rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2014
Erica Flory
Erica Flory rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2015
A
A rated it it was amazing
Nov 30, 2016
Deanna
Deanna rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2015
Cherie
Cherie rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2015
Erica
Erica rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2010
ChayAbbyCaydenAsher
ChayAbbyCaydenAsher rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2009
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2016
Christian
Christian rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2010
Greta
Greta rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2010
Diane
Diane rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2013
Lydia Rigsby
Lydia Rigsby rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2014