The Night Eater

The Night Eater

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  31 reviews
The illustrator of the highly acclaimed FRIDA makes a smashing debut as an author.

Every morning the Night Eater runs through the sky, gobbling up all the darkness. He eats cloudy nights as light and sweet as cotton candy, and deep dark nights that taste like bitter chocolate. His favorites are bright clear nights -- the stars tickle his nose as he swallows!
But what if the...more
Published October 1st 2004 by Arthur A. Levine Books (first published January 1st 2004)

Miriam
I was introduced to the art of Ana Juan recently, via her illustrations for Cat Valente's novel The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making. This is for younger readers and as far as I know Juan wrote the story as well. I didn't feel it quite worked, but it was certainly original and interesting, as are her lively and colorful illustrations.

The Night Eater follows the Moon. He gobbles up the elements of the night, fresh fizzy stars and chocolately darkness. But one day he...more
Ruhama
A very clever and creative way of looking at how night turns into day, with gorgeous pictures and imaginings. The Night Eater's job is to make sure all the parts of night are eaten up so the sun can wake everyone when it's time for morning. But one sly comment from the moon about the Night Eater's weight leaves everyone stuck in nighttime for several days, until the children of the world beg him to come do his duty. All is resolved by the end, with everyone realizing they like all bits of day an...more
3 stars for the story and definitely 5 for the art, rounding to 4. My son (he's 6) picked this as his library book and we read it together. The concept of the book is really great, that the Night Eater goes behind the moon, eating up all the night each day so the sun can rise. It's a simple and evocative idea for a child to connect with. And the art is just amazing. There are at least two pages I would like to stare at for hours, or frame and hang on my wall.

But the execution of the story is not...more
Evan
I purchased this book not only out of a desire to check out more Ana Juan and add a picture book by a leading Hispanic author-illustrator to my Spanish classroom, but because the cover illustration was so fantastically and creepily alluring. After having read the book with a number of children, I highly recommend it, for Juan's breathtakingly beautiful and dreamy artwork if nothing else. But the story is entertaining and endearing in its own right, following the trials and tribulations of the ti...more
Matthew
I thought this was a little strange, but it was still a nice story. The night eater is basically responsible for turning night to day and he does is again and again until the moon brings up how big he's getting, and the night eater decides he won't eat the night anymore. The night goes on too long, and children ask where he's gone. When he opens his mouth to answer he accidentally eats a tiny taste of night and like every addict a bite is all it takes to make him forget everything and start eati...more
Caroline
The Night Eater eats the night as runs across the sky, chasing the moon and leaving his friend, the sun, to greet everyone with a new day. However, eating all that night causes him to put on weight and he decides to not eat another bite of night. Well, the night was everywhere and the sun was trapped and could not shine. Could the children convince the Night Eater to eat another tasty bit of night?

Great story for preschool storytime. Requires some explanation beforehand to explain what's happeni...more
Julie Suzanne
Delicious illustrations. This is a story about a creature whose responsibility is to eat the night away so that there is sun on earth. The moon criticizes him, alluding to the fact that he's getting fat, and he decides not to eat the night anymore. Of course, the unpleasant consequences of never-ending night on earth leads him to decide that he has a very important job and gets back to it. I could relate!

I have the tendency (very immature, actually) to quit if someone doesn't like what I'm doin...more
Wonderful illustrations and a very imaginative story. At first I thought it might be a bit scary to the kids (4 and 6 yrs old), but they really enjoyed it. The Night Eater sounds like a scary guy, but the story portrays how the Night Eater is necessary in the transformation of night to day, showing the Night Eater following the moon and trailed by the sun. The children in the book love the Night Eater. It is a gentle story and good for bedtime, dangling ideas of cotton candy and chocolate to see...more
Megan Park
A fabulously beautiful and imaginative take on how night turns into day. My children love it!
Rebecca Ann
This book had excellent illustrations that were magical but also pretty creepy. Just what I would have liked as a child, but definitely not for every child. The story itself was a fabricated myth about why the cycle of day and night. For me the moment when night eater decided to take back up his old job was forced and half-heartedly done. Other than that, this would be good for a one-on one read but only if the child isn't easily scared or likes scary books.
Mrs Bond
Aptly named Night Eater eats the night so daylight can come. The moon makes a slight comment about his size, causing him to feel self conscious about eating so he stops. The result is a world without the sun. At first all enjoy the beauty of the night they have previously missed. It doesn't take long for everyone to miss the daylight. Illustrations evoke softness (almost like clouds, pillows, etc.), perfectly appropriate for a night story.
Chenoa Brown
-Kindergarten and 1st grade
Night eater eats clouds of the night but gets picked on by the cloud because of his weight. He eventually goes back to eating the clouds because he is needed by everyone and the moon feels bad for his actions. This is a great book when teacher is dealing with bullying in the classroom or environment of the students. This can show them how it feels to be the person being picked on.
Tracy O
I only review kids' books if they're really wonderful and this is. It's a book about a dumplingish/trollish being who spends all evening eating the night until all that is left is day. Problems ensue when the buttons on his pants pop off and he diets (creating unending night). The illustrations are also wonderful, wonderful. We keep reading this over and over - I see many library renewals in our future.
Angela
This is a great way to introduce night and day lessons to pre-k and kindergartners. It is also a great book for those who enjoy fantasy books, magic, and supernatural creatures. It also has a greek mythology feel so you can recommend it to students who enjoy myths. It would also make a great bedtime story. And is filled with great art for that artistic student of yours.
Ellen Ramsey
A magical tale about the Night Eater, who takes a break from eating the stars and the night clouds. But without the Night Eater's services, the Sun can't come out in the morning. Somehow, the Night Eater must be persuaded to nibble up the night again. Exquisitely delicious story and illustrations!
Kristin
Feb 26, 2008 Kristin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
One of the most gorgeous children's stories we own. Helpful in my pursuit to teach our baby daughter Spanish (in addition to English and German) with a wonderfully creative and entertaining storyline. Illustrations are whimsical and heartwarming. A definite read for your little one!
Connie
This book is worth getting for the illustrations alone, round and clear and huggable. But as it happens, I like the story too and the image it creates of a being (you see him there!) that runs around gobbling up night so we can have day. It's such a fanciful idea, I just love it.
Kristin
Dec 19, 2007 Kristin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents
My son and I swap out half a dozen books at the library this week, and although many are cute and charming, few are true stand-outs. This one is an exception. The illustrations and story combine to make for a an exceptional and creative fantasy for little ones and adults to enjoy.
Christie Suh
I liked this book because of the illustrations. This book was about a fictional character that eats the night.. and that's how it becomes daytime. After the moon makes a comment about how big the night eater got he stops eating the night.
Rebecca
This book is good for k-2nd grades. The tells tale of how day and night change. The book can be a catapult into lessons about the importance of day and night and how it affects the environment.
Emmeline Guest
A sweet story about a dreamy little man who eats darkness.

The poetic text about a darkness and daylight is lovely, but it is the magical illustrations that really make this story.
Jeanne
Seems like this one could be a fable. WONDERFUL pictures! - and good story. Morning never comes if the night eater stops eating the night.
Cristina
Gorgeous illustrations, perfect theme with this summer's dream big read program.
Allison Denny
Mythic-feeling story, but the gorgeous artwork is what really drew me in.
Rachel
Whimsical and interesting illustrative style. Odd story.
Hannah
Love love love the illustrations! Beautiful and quirky.
MaryBeth Philhower
Lorelei’s bedtime book of choice.
Moe