Start by marking “Bargain with the Devil” as Want to Read:
Bargain with the Devil

Bargain with the Devil

Security consultant Peter Avakian's job is to keep people safe, and that's not always easy. Even his Special Forces training couldn't have prepared him for a routine business proposal that was anything but. By simply acknowledging the offer, Avakian becomes snarled in a complex plot to stage a political coup in central Africa. With no way out, he turns to the CIA--and is f ...more
Published May 1st 2010 by Mira (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Bargain with the Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bargain with the Devil

Abby
Jul 18, 2016 Abby rated it liked it
Peter Avakian is sassy and a "I'm too old for this shit" kind of man so I liked him. The supporting characters, especially the women and his intended targets, were pretty one-toned but from a security consultant's tunneling perception given the intense situations I think that should be forgiven; also if you think about it, the tritgaonists had more substance because Avakian doesn't see them as threats so their characteristics are a little more fleshed out and I'm cool with that.

I liked the plot!
Kara Jorges
Dec 21, 2012 Kara Jorges rated it really liked it
Security consultant Peter Avakian knows he’s in deep from his first meeting with some very bad men in South Africa when he’s hired to help them overthrow a government. He has to call on all his skills and instincts just to stay alive from the start. Things get complicated when he involves the CIA, but not really any more than when an attractive female reporter seduces him.

For readers who like nonstop action with barely pause for a breath, this book delivers. The plot, while not overly simplisti
Cheryl
Oct 02, 2010 Cheryl rated it did not like it
Peter Avakian works as a security consultant. Peter’s latest client is Safoil, the South African Energy Corporation. Safoil is trying to work a deal with the Nigerians to get a lease to do offshore oil drilling. While reviewed the paperwork for Safoil; Peter find something very interesting. The information Peter has found is huge. Peter knows that he could be in trouble if anyone else knew what he discovered. Peter must find a way out of Central Africa. His life depends on it.

This book sounded
Amanda J
Mar 31, 2011 Amanda J rated it it was ok
Recommended to Amanda J by: BookPage May 2010
I didn't realize this was the second book featuring the main character, Peter Avakian - security specialist extraodinaire, when I picked up the book. But while references are made to his adventures in China in book 1, Bargain with the Devil can stand alone. Unfortunately, I didn't really enjoy it. Peter never really develops as a character and his uber-intellect and supurb gut instinct are mixed intermittently with poor decision making skills that seem out of whack with the rest of his nature. T ...more
Leah
Aug 15, 2010 Leah rated it really liked it
Jessica Timmons
Sep 19, 2013 Jessica Timmons rated it liked it
An excellent book for the military fan to read. I'm not much for these types of books but I enjoyed this one. Suspenseful and kept you interested the whole way through. I'm a little more educated in mercenary weapons now but not to the point of where I would like to handle one. The action scenes are truly original and make you feel as though your really there running along side of Avakian while he's escaping and killing for his life. I'm truly glad that my uncle recommended this book.
Doug
Nov 08, 2010 Doug rated it it was ok
I did not think much of this book to start with. However, as the book proceeded I found myself interested in the central characters. I would recommend the book to those who like "spy" stories but do not believe it is nearly as good as others in this genre--like the original Bourne series.
Natascha
May 21, 2010 Natascha rated it really liked it
Wish we got more of Judy and I hope to God that she does go with Pete somewhere in the next book, if there is a next book.
Mark
Jan 18, 2013 Mark rated it it was ok
It was not poorly written and it does not bore, but alas it was a standard action story. Nothing new here.
Alice
Jun 25, 2012 Alice rated it liked it
I was in the mood for a suspend disbelief fast read thriller and this book did the job.
Ronald Howell
Apr 16, 2013 Ronald Howell rated it liked it
Konda hard to decide about this one. Seemed to wrap it up in a hurry at the end.
Jennifer Gray
Jul 06, 2011 Jennifer Gray rated it really liked it
Very interesting main character that glides through some very exotic settings.
Sandy
Feb 22, 2011 Sandy rated it it was amazing
Slow going in the beginning but kept me guessing until the end.
ANTHONY
ANTHONY rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2016
Mikayla
Mikayla marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Ericboevigmail.Com
Ericboevigmail.Com marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Sash
Sash rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2016
FROGSUT
FROGSUT marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Ria M
Ria M marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Monica
Monica added it
Jan 30, 2016
Kevin
Kevin rated it it was ok
Jan 14, 2016
Rabindranauth
Rabindranauth rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Kms
Kms marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2015
Angela
Angela added it
Nov 17, 2015
Bon
Bon marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
Steven Abbott
Steven Abbott rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2015
Jathan Fink
Jathan Fink marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
F.J. Chase is the pen name of a former military officer and national security commentator. He can be reached at fjchase@hotmail.com.

More about F.J. Chase...