Start by marking “Bargain with the Devil (Pete Avakian #2)” as Want to Read:
Bargain with the Devil (Pete Avakian #2)

Bargain with the Devil (Pete Avakian #2)

Security consultant Peter Avakian's job is to keep people safe, and that's not always easy. Even his Special Forces training couldn't have prepared him for a routine business proposal that was anything but. By simply acknowledging the offer, Avakian becomes snarled in a complex plot to stage a political coup in central Africa. With no way out, he turns to the CIA--and is f ...more
Published May 1st 2010 by Mira (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Bargain with the Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bargain with the Devil

Carolyn E
Carolyn E rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2010
Amanda J
Mar 31, 2011 Amanda J rated it it was ok
Recommended to Amanda J by: BookPage May 2010
I didn't realize this was the second book featuring the main character, Peter Avakian - security specialist extraodinaire, when I picked up the book. But while references are made to his adventures in China in book 1, Bargain with the Devil can stand alone. Unfortunately, I didn't really enjoy it. Peter never really develops as a character and his uber-intellect and supurb gut instinct are mixed intermittently with poor decision making skills that seem out of whack with the rest of his nature. T ...more
May 21, 2010 Natascha rated it really liked it
Wish we got more of Judy and I hope to God that she does go with Pete somewhere in the next book, if there is a next book.
Michael rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2010
Roy rated it it was ok
Aug 13, 2010
Aug 15, 2010 Leah rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2010 Cheryl rated it did not like it
Peter Avakian works as a security consultant. Peter’s latest client is Safoil, the South African Energy Corporation. Safoil is trying to work a deal with the Nigerians to get a lease to do offshore oil drilling. While reviewed the paperwork for Safoil; Peter find something very interesting. The information Peter has found is huge. Peter knows that he could be in trouble if anyone else knew what he discovered. Peter must find a way out of Central Africa. His life depends on it.

This book sounded
Nov 08, 2010 Doug rated it it was ok
I did not think much of this book to start with. However, as the book proceeded I found myself interested in the central characters. I would recommend the book to those who like "spy" stories but do not believe it is nearly as good as others in this genre--like the original Bourne series.
Feb 22, 2011 Sandy rated it it was amazing
Slow going in the beginning but kept me guessing until the end.
Stephanie Pierce
Stephanie Pierce rated it it was ok
Sep 17, 2013
Rachael rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2011
Kevin rated it it was ok
May 24, 2012
Tammi rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2015
Benjamin Cummings
Benjamin Cummings rated it liked it
Dec 17, 2012
Kara Jorges
Dec 21, 2012 Kara Jorges rated it really liked it
Security consultant Peter Avakian knows he’s in deep from his first meeting with some very bad men in South Africa when he’s hired to help them overthrow a government. He has to call on all his skills and instincts just to stay alive from the start. Things get complicated when he involves the CIA, but not really any more than when an attractive female reporter seduces him.

For readers who like nonstop action with barely pause for a breath, this book delivers. The plot, while not overly simplisti
Jan 18, 2013 Mark rated it it was ok
It was not poorly written and it does not bore, but alas it was a standard action story. Nothing new here.
Jessica Johnson
Jessica Johnson rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2013
Juno rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2013
Darla Stokes
Darla Stokes rated it it was ok
Mar 23, 2013
Cheryl Harflett
Cheryl Harflett rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2013
Brandon rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2013
Jessica Timmons
Sep 19, 2013 Jessica Timmons rated it liked it
An excellent book for the military fan to read. I'm not much for these types of books but I enjoyed this one. Suspenseful and kept you interested the whole way through. I'm a little more educated in mercenary weapons now but not to the point of where I would like to handle one. The action scenes are truly original and make you feel as though your really there running along side of Avakian while he's escaping and killing for his life. I'm truly glad that my uncle recommended this book.
Forever rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2013
Eric Russell
Eric Russell rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2014
Samantha Crespino
Samantha Crespino rated it it was amazing
Jul 31, 2014
Steven Abbott
Steven Abbott rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2015
Rabindranauth rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2016
Sash rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2016
Abby on Piper St
Jul 18, 2016 Abby on Piper St rated it liked it
Peter Avakian is sassy and a "I'm too old for this shit" kind of man so I liked him. The supporting characters, especially the women and his intended targets, were pretty one-toned but from a security consultant's tunneling perception given the intense situations I think that should be forgiven; also if you think about it, the tritgaonists had more substance because Avakian doesn't see them as threats so their characteristics are a little more fleshed out and I'm cool with that.

I liked the plot!
ANTHONY rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2016
F.J. Chase is the pen name of a former military officer and national security commentator. He can be reached at

More about F.J. Chase...

Pete Avakian (2 books)
  • Darkness Under Heaven (Pete Avakian #1)