Bargain with the Devil

Bargain with the Devil

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Security consultant Peter Avakian's job is to keep people safe, and that's not always easy. Even his Special Forces training couldn't have prepared him for a routine business proposal that was anything but. By simply acknowledging the offer, Avakian becomes snarled in a complex plot to stage a political coup in central Africa. With no way out, he turns to the CIA--and is f...more
Published May 1st 2010 by Mira (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Bargain with the Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bargain with the Devil

Kara Jorges
Security consultant Peter Avakian knows he’s in deep from his first meeting with some very bad men in South Africa when he’s hired to help them overthrow a government. He has to call on all his skills and instincts just to stay alive from the start. Things get complicated when he involves the CIA, but not really any more than when an attractive female reporter seduces him.

For readers who like nonstop action with barely pause for a breath, this book delivers. The plot, while not overly simplisti...more
Cheryl
Peter Avakian works as a security consultant. Peter’s latest client is Safoil, the South African Energy Corporation. Safoil is trying to work a deal with the Nigerians to get a lease to do offshore oil drilling. While reviewed the paperwork for Safoil; Peter find something very interesting. The information Peter has found is huge. Peter knows that he could be in trouble if anyone else knew what he discovered. Peter must find a way out of Central Africa. His life depends on it.

This book sounded...more
Amanda J
Mar 31, 2011 Amanda J rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Amanda J by: BookPage May 2010
I didn't realize this was the second book featuring the main character, Peter Avakian - security specialist extraodinaire, when I picked up the book. But while references are made to his adventures in China in book 1, Bargain with the Devil can stand alone. Unfortunately, I didn't really enjoy it. Peter never really develops as a character and his uber-intellect and supurb gut instinct are mixed intermittently with poor decision making skills that seem out of whack with the rest of his nature. T...more
Leah
Jessica Timmons
An excellent book for the military fan to read. I'm not much for these types of books but I enjoyed this one. Suspenseful and kept you interested the whole way through. I'm a little more educated in mercenary weapons now but not to the point of where I would like to handle one. The action scenes are truly original and make you feel as though your really there running along side of Avakian while he's escaping and killing for his life. I'm truly glad that my uncle recommended this book.
Doug
I did not think much of this book to start with. However, as the book proceeded I found myself interested in the central characters. I would recommend the book to those who like "spy" stories but do not believe it is nearly as good as others in this genre--like the original Bourne series.
Natascha
Wish we got more of Judy and I hope to God that she does go with Pete somewhere in the next book, if there is a next book.
Mark
It was not poorly written and it does not bore, but alas it was a standard action story. Nothing new here.
Alice
I was in the mood for a suspend disbelief fast read thriller and this book did the job.
Ronald Howell
Konda hard to decide about this one. Seemed to wrap it up in a hurry at the end.
Jennifer Gray
Very interesting main character that glides through some very exotic settings.
Sandy
Slow going in the beginning but kept me guessing until the end.
Bob
Bob added it
Jun 03, 2014
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Connie Pinzl
Connie Pinzl marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Cinnamon
Cinnamon marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Alisa
Alisa added it
Nov 27, 2013
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2013
Rachel
Rachel added it
Aug 17, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
F.J. Chase is the pen name of a former military officer and national security commentator. He can be reached at fjchase@hotmail.com.

More about F.J. Chase...