Start by marking “Out of Eden (The McGraws, #1)” as Want to Read:
Out of Eden (The McGraws, #1)

Out of Eden (The McGraws #1)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  344 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Sometimes paradise isn't all it's cracked up to be.That's what I, Kylie McGraw, have discovered since sacrificing my dreams of traveling the world to run the family shoe store. But if I have my way, peaceful Eden, Indiana, is in for a major shake-up....

Published March 23rd 2010 by HQN Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Out of Eden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of Eden

Witchful Thinking by H.P. MalloryToil and Trouble by H.P. MalloryFire Burn and Cauldron Bubble by H.P. MalloryMini Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaUndead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson
Cutest Book Covers
105th out of 304 books — 75 voters
Pippi Longstocking by Astrid LindgrenBalzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress by Dai SijieParty Girl by Rachel HollisThe Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank BaumPuss in Boots by Vera Southgate
Shoes, Socks, Slippers and Sandals
108th out of 170 books — 65 voters

More lists with this book...

Patti Loves FAB Romance
Kylie McGraw has lived in Eden, Indiana her whole life. She's always dreamed of travelling to Asia, but lives in the same boring town she grew up in. She knows the same boring people and runs the same boring family-owned shoe store. She's just turned 32 and is ready for something to change. Little does she know things are about to change more than she could ever have imagined...

Jack Reynolds was Kylie's childhood crush. One of the running jokes in the book is that she's been in love with him sin
Tasha
Overall this was a nice, funny read. If you enjoyed Victoria Dahl's Talk Me Down, then you'll enjoy 'Out of Eden.' The two books are very similiar in premise that they are both set in Small Town, USA ('Talk Me Down' set in Tumble Creek and 'Out of Eden' set in Eden) and that in both books the lead male cop falls for his best friends' little sister. But with that said, it's worth the read. I would read this author again.
Zee Monodee
Dec 03, 2010 Zee Monodee rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance lovers, chick-lit lovers
Ms. Ciotta scores a winner here for me because on top of creating a believable small-town world (with all its crazy quirks and mad inhabitants. Somehow these folks should've been over the top but they fitted the picture perfectly here), she adds a heroine who wears glasses and who portrays the girl-who-wears-glasses-and-sees-nothing-without-them very well. Being one such girls, I loved the realism the author infused into Kylie, and the fact that a drop-dead-gorgeous male was not repulsed by said ...more
Jun 26, 2010 Jennifer rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jennifer by: jennsicurella@verizon.net
Shelves: romance
Finding that your life hasn't turned out as planned and making drastic changes to get back on course. Going after your dreams and finding new ones in the process. Even positive change can threaten those around you. These ideas made Out of Eden extremely relatable. Who hasn't examined their life only to discover dreams sacrificed for other people's benefit?

I loved the portrayal of small town life. Kylie being a woman who's never traveled out of the area Jack returning to the life after working ye
Allison (The Allure of Books)
I read this via NetGalley, a great website for testing out soon-to-be-released books.

Ciotta certainly doesn't break any new ground in the chick lit/romance genre, and despite a somewhat awkward-feeling chemistry between the two lead characters and an often clunky writing style, it makes for a fun read.

She could have done a lot more in the way of character development. I always enjoy more background into the characters. All the hard things Jack experienced as a homicide detective in the NYPD wer
Debbie
Another birthday in the small town of Eden, Indiana. Kylie McGraw was so tired of the same ol’, same ol’ and decided, during her ‘traditional’ birthday celebration, that this was the time for some changes in her life and in her world. Starting with getting drunk on Cosmo’s (she normally drank only beer) and if she is not careful, ending with her life in danger. During that Cosmo haze and the following morning hangover, Kylie not only made decisions, she placed online orders. Wanting to update an ...more
LynnMarie
Christy’s Review

Out of Eden is a story about Kylie McGraw and the small town of Eden, Indiana. When Kylie celebrates her 32nd birthday she decides she wants to shake things up. She’s tired of the same old thing, and she wants to make several changes in her life.

When Kylie and her best friend Faye are celebrating at Boone’s bar and grill, Kylie has a few to many drinks, and she says and does a few things out of her norm. After making a spectacle of herself, her friend Faye decides to get her hom
Pamela
Out of Eden is a pretty standard romantic novel. There's nothing unique to be found here and the romance is weighed down halfway through when the mob shows up.

As for Kylie and Jack, they're very likeable. They were both well-drawn and entertaining, especially the newly adventurous Kylie. The romance was predictable but at least there was a lot of passion between the two. The backdrop of the small-town people provide some humour and entertainment to the story. While Jack and Kylie's relationship
Knitme23
So: does a romance *have* to be poorly written, trite, and predictable? Out of Eden does not convince me otherwise, with lines like "he ridded her of the lacy thong" (no, I don't know the proper tense of that verb, either, so I would avoid it!), and "A moment blipped in her mind. Her. Jack." (NO idea how to do that right: herself? She? So, again, my editor should tell me to avoid it if I'm not sharp enough to decide to do that myself). On top of the hokey "Got to change my life" story line (Jenn ...more
Bonnie Franks
I normally do not read romance. I have been on a mission to read new genres. Beth Ciotta is my second venture into romance and I must say I am impressed. Not only is the writing great, but this is certainly not my mother's sort of romance book. By that I am not necessarily addressing the sexual portions, but the story line.

There is an element of mystery, some tragedy, lots of humor, the family values, friendships, this book has it all. I became immersed in this town and wanted the best for my p
Jacqueline
Beth Ciotta's Out of Eden is a pretty standard, small-town contemporary romance. There's nothing unique to be found here and the romance is weighed down by a silly subplot involving mob intrigue.

As far as the hero and heroine go, I liked Kylie and Jack. They were both well-drawn and entertaining, especially the newly adventurous Kylie. Part of what saved the book for me was their sweet romance. It's predictable, but I have a particular love for reunion stories set in small towns. The gossipy bac
Sandy Williams
I bought this book because it was the book club pick a few months ago at a independent book store. I planned on going to the meeting, but the store is 45 minutes away and I found a better club close by. I decided to read OUT OF EDEN this week just because I was in the mood for something different.

Yep. Different. I realized I don't read hardly any realistic fiction. Seriously, I could count on my fingers the number of realistic contempoary books I've read in the last ten years.
1. PERFECT CHEMIST
Apr 2010
Paperback
Contemporary Romance

Back Cover Blurb:

Sometimes paradise isn't all it's cracked up to be.

That's what I, Kylie McGraw, have discovered since sacrificing my dreams of traveling the world to run the family shoe store. But if I have my way, peaceful Eden, Indiana, is in for a major shake-up….

It all began on my birthday, when I got drunk and disorderly all over Eden's hunky new police chief (and my former high school crush), Jack Reynolds.
April
OUT OF EDEN by Beth Ciotta is a comtemporary romance set in modern day Eden, Indiana. It is well written with depth and details. The characters are interesting, enduring and complex.It has danger, suspense, romance, intrigue, sensuality, secrets, small town,the mob and lovable heros. The hero, Jack, is handsome,sexy, left New York City after being burned out on a horrific case, comes back home to be the police chief, was Kylie's high school crush and her brother's friend. The heroine, Kylie is s ...more
Kimberly
I've been making the most of my Kindle for iPhone app (even though I don't have an iPhone) and read a book called Out of Eden by Beth Ciotta. I got it because it is set in a nonexistent small town in Indiana and I was thinking of writing a story set in a nonexistent small town in Indiana myself. She chose northern Indiana while I'm planning for southern, but that's not important right now.

In the first chapter the main character talks about her brother visiting "Pitcairn - the secluded island inh
Samantha
This book was normal. If you've ever read any other small town romance book, you would know there really wasn't anything special or new about Out of Eden. However the characters our hero and heroine were well written and kept your attention on the book. Kylie is tired of being passive aggressive and wants to spice up her life a little bit. Jack was and still is best friends with Kylie's big brother, he moves back from New York after burning out at fighting crime in the big apple. He becomes the ...more
Amanda
Okay I won't lie I totally had no idea that Out of Eden was the first book of 2 and read Into the Wild first. But I have to say that I loved it. Beth Ciotta has a cute way of telling a story and her style is that perfect balance. I told my friend she totally PG-13 she gets stars for the adult but also for not going too far with it. I loved that this book was more about the characters which were amazing by the way. Once I figured out that Kylie was Spenser's little sister it made the best friend ...more
Star (The Bibliophilic Book Blog)
It’s her birthday and Kylie McGraw decides it’s high time to shake things up and turn her life on its ear. Since she can’t have her trip to Asia, she wants the next best thing – something new! She redecorates the family’s shoe store and that’s just the beginning of her antics. Her old crush (and her brother’s best friend) is back in town as the new sheriff. Where there is smoke, there’s fire, and it’s red hot in Eden, IN.

This is a sweet, funny, and hot romantic comedy. The secondary characters a
StrangeBedfellows
I must admit, I wasn't very intrigued by the cover of this book. The story description sounding fun, though, so I thought I'd take a chance. Am I very happy that I did. This book was fun, well-written, and intriguing; it blew my fairly low expectations right out of the water.

The story kicks off from the very first page and maintains a lively, engaging pace all throughout. The characters are all interesting in their own rights, but when you toss them together, the interactions are a load of fun.
Christine
Kylie McGraw is a small town “good” girl who turns thirty-two and is tired of the status quo, so she decides to turn the town upside town. At the same time Jack Reynolds moves back home from the big city to be closer to his sister and young niece. Jack’s new job as chief of police puts him smack dab in the middle of Kylie antics. The problem for Kylie is that she’s been crushing on Jack since she was twelve. The problem for Jack is that Kylie is no longer twelve. Small town life and a mob twist ...more
Jan
Kylie McGraw has lived all her life in Eden, Indiana. She has taken care of people and the family business, a shoe store, without thougth to herself. But now she is ready to shake things up. Just as she is ready to bust out, the love her life, Jack Reynolds, returns home to be chief of police after burning out on his life with NYPD. Their reunion causes fireworks and Kylie's desire for change causes heartburn for just about everyone.

I really enjoyed this book. Generally I don't like this much ro
Amanda
Book #56 of 2011

I originally picked up the sequel to this, but after learning that it was a sequel (even if the two books aren't very related), I had to start with the first book. I'm glad I did too because I liked this one quite a bit! Eden reminds me a bit of Mansfield - at least in that small town everyone knows everyone else kind of way. Miranda Lambert's "Famous in a Small Town" comes to mind. And who can't relate to wanting to shake things up from the boring routine!

The one complaint I hav
Ellen (more books, please)
Sweet book. PG-13 rating. There are a lot of threads in this book. Sibling rivalry, family responsibility, unrequited love, mob families, witness protection program, (early) midlife crisis, career burnout and more more more!

I felt there was too much going on. But Ms. Ciotta kept all the threads going, cleared up the mysteries and made it fairly realistic. After reading the book I read some reviews and found that this is the first of two books in the series. I can see a number of possible sequels
Colette
A nice light summer read... with a mob twist! Not your typical romance; it had lots of great characters and all sorts of non-romance plots. This was a random choice from the library, and I'm really glad I read it!

I will read more by Beth Ciotta. Apparently she doesn't like to limit herself to one genre when writing: she has written contemporary, historical, and paranormal fiction. Looking forward to more great books by Beth!
Chris
Kylie loves Jack. Always has. He comes back to town and for the first time notices her. Sparks fly. The romance between the two was enjoyable, however, the town's reaction to Kylie was disgusting. I can't believe she put up with it. I'd been smacking people or moving away.

There was also an entire sub-plot about the mafia which was not necessary.

Not a bad read for the romance part, but the rest was not worth it.
Sara
A cute book with a strange sub-plot about mobsters and how we live in a world that glorifies what they do.
& while the part about the mob was a. Bit over the top, there were several interestng parts, including the opening bar scene and the water tower incident.
This book gave me great insight Into Jack & Kylie, two of the characters that Spencer refers to in the following book, "Into the Wild. "
Harlequin Books
"I loved this story from the very first page to the very last. Jack has just enough alpha in him to make him sexy with out being arrogant and overbearing. And Kylie had a lot of character traits I could relate too." from a review written by an eHarlequin.com member. Read more HERE>
Carolyn
It is funny. The back cover description isn't super accurate. And all male interior designers aren't gay. It drives me crazy how, the token gay guy always has to be a hair dresser, designer or florist (as if there is something inherently gay about those professions). I'm sure there are just as many who are construction workers, truckers, doctors or lawyers.
Angie
I'm not sure what it was (my mood or the book itself), but I could not get through half of this book. It felt like too many words to describe everything and the author tried way too hard to make the main character overly quirky and fun. It just didn't feel natural to me and couldn't keep me engaged in the story.
Jessica Alcazar
now that was cute and entertaining. felt like I was dumped in the middle of Bluebell, Alabama in an episode of Heart of Dixie! I kinda liked it but any longer and I would have been skimming pages LOL
  • Out of Mind (Court of Angels, #2)
  • Hot Mail
  • Our Little Secret
  • Knock Me for a Loop (Chicks with Sticks #3)
  • Not That Kind of Girl
  • Luck Be a Lady (West Investigations, #2)
  • Some Like It Hot (Razor Bay, #2)
  • Crush on You (Three Kisses, #1)
  • Love Me If You Dare (Bachelor Blogs, #2)
  • Currant Creek Valley (Hope's Crossing, #4)
  • Perfect Together
  • At Hidden Falls (Angel's Bay, #4)
  • The Bikini Car Wash
  • Invincible (Benedict Brothers, #2)
  • 2000 Kisses (SEAL and Code Name, #1)
  • Live and Let Love (Agent Ex, #3)
  • Riptide (Cutter Cay, #2)
  • SEALed with a Promise (SEALed, #2)
Storytelling comes naturally to award-winning author Beth Ciotta. Limiting herself to one sub-genre does not. Dubbed “fun and sexy” by Publisher’s Weekly, Beth specializes in writing Romantic Comedy with a Twist of Suspense and is published in contemporary, historical, and paranormal romantic fiction. “I can’t think of anything more fulfilling than writing stories where everyone (except the villai ...more
More about Beth Ciotta...
Fool for Love (Cupcake Lovers, #1) Her Sky Cowboy (The Glorious Victorious Darcys, #1) The Trouble with Love (Cupcake Lovers, #2) Anything But Love (Cupcake Lovers, #3) Jinxed (Friends and Lovers Trilogy, #1)