Start by marking “I Am Ozzy” as Want to Read:
I Am Ozzy

I Am Ozzy

4.04  ·  Rating Details  ·  16,498 Ratings  ·  960 Reviews
They've said some crazy things about me over the years. I mean, okay: 'He bit the head off a bat.' Yes. 'He bit the head off a dove.' Yes. But then you hear things like, 'Ozzy went to the show last night, but he wouldn't perform until he'd killed fifteen puppies . . .' Now me, kill fifteen puppies? I love puppies. I've got eighteen of the f**king things at home. I've kille ...more
Published January 25th 2010 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about I Am Ozzy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am Ozzy

Buggy
Opening Line: "My father always said I would do something big one day."

I grew up in the 80’s so the Ozzy that I knew wasn’t the comical, stuttering MTV family man of today but the Prince of darkness. Black Sabbath’s scary, out of control singer who bit the head off of bats and doves and worshiped the devil. (Or so the rumours said) My brother used to play his records (yes I’m that old) during his rocker/bad boy phase (he’s now with the RCMP) and I remember being forced to listen to Ozzy Osbourne
Artiom Karsiuk
Jan 23, 2015 Artiom Karsiuk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
How this man is still alive is beyond me. There are people who [to quote the Hulkster] say their prayers and eat their vitamins, yet they choke on a peanut or cross the street on a red light and it's curtains for them. Curtains, I say! But this guy did just about every drug there is and now enjoys a decently healthy life while being a grandfather.
I love rock music, but I can't say that I'm this hardcore fan of Black Sabbath or Ozzy - I do love some of his songs (the well known tunes, to be hone
Lee
Jul 28, 2012 Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, I am reading the most entertaining biography out there. This one I simply can't stop laughing - I am about half way through this book and can tell you that it is now my most favorite book. Since this is a library copy that I am reading I plan to still buy the book. I love Ozzy and his book so much. Even if you are not a Black Sabbath fan, I am sure you will enjoy this book. I recommend this book for reading to lighten their day and for a thoroughly relaxing little getaway from the stresses ...more
Erika
Dec 29, 2012 Erika rated it really liked it
Every time I watched the cover of this book I couldn’t get out of my head this song by Ozzy Osbourne "Over The Mountain". Just this part:

”Don’t need no astrology
It’s inside of you and me
You don’t need a ticket to fly with me
I’m free yeah”

Playing over and over again.

And you know what, it's true!

It's free! (Well... At least it was when I downloaded it.)

This probably is the funniest autobiography out there. I literally burst out laughing several times. Once I was at work, reading and couldn’t sto
Cody
Mar 17, 2010 Cody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The writing is truly atrocious. It reads like Ozzy dictated his life story into a tape recorder, handed it to the ghost writer, and said "Transcribe this word for word." Since Ozzy left school at 15, you can probably guess how that went.

But you don't read this book for the prose; you read it for the stories. And oh, the stories. The famous dove, bat, and Alamo tales are there, as are more behind the scenes accounts of band in-fighting and tragedy. Ozzy doesn't hold back on any of his crazy esca
Alexandra
Mar 19, 2012 Alexandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biografie, musik
Diese Bio ist fast das verückteste vor allem nicht fiktionale Werk, das ich je gelesen habe. Jedesmal denkt man - neiiin Ozzy mach das jetzt nicht und dann tut er es doch. Von den ersten Jobs in der Fabrik über das Schlachthaus bis zur Musikerkarriere vergisst Ozzy nie, woher er kommt und bleibt sich treu, obwohl er meist nicht ganz Herr seiner Sinne ist und wie eine geladene Waffe voller Unsinn und den Kopf voller Drogen und Alkohol durch sein Leben stolpert. Auch an ehrlicher Selbstkritik bezü ...more
Azadeh
Aug 01, 2010 Azadeh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far Ozzy and his ghost writer are hilarious and keep me in stitches!
Victoria
Jan 24, 2010 Victoria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having grown up in the 80's and being a HUGE fan of Duran Duran and the likes, I admit that Ozzy Osbourne scared the bejeezus out of me. His music scared me...his pictures scared me...don't even get me started on his videos!

It wasn't until MTV started with "The Osbournes" that I saw a completely different side of him...and I actually loved him (and his nutty family!). I was so excited to read that he had a book coming out that I snatched it up as soon as I found it...

I must say, it is written as
Spider the Doof Warrior
Jun 21, 2012 Spider the Doof Warrior rated it it was amazing
Ozzy Osbourne is interesting for some reason.
His book was fascinating. The main think you think as you read it is, how did this man SURVIVE all of this?
He did just about every drug in existence, drank tons of alcohol and got into so many dangerous situations and here he is alive to tell about it.
I must say, I think I'd rather hang with the Osbournes than the Duggars for some reason. They seem like fun and they'd have raucous metal and as mild as I am, despite the fact that I seldom cuss in publi
İlkim
Okurken vay be dedirten bir kitaptı. Ozzy'nin Black Sabbath'ın kuruluşuyla başından geçenleri bu kitapta gayet güzel öğreniyoruz. Ama kitap Ozzy'nin çocukluğu ve gençliği ile başlıyor, ailesini ve girdiği işleri öğreniyoruz. Sonra da Tony Iommi ve diğerleri ile nasıl orijinal Black Sabbath'ın kurulduğunu anlatıyor. Şöhret basamaklarını nasıl tırmandıklarını, sonra herkesin kendi yoluna gittiğini, kendi grubuyla turlarken başına gelen faciayı (gitaristinin ölümü) ve Sharon ile kurduğu ilginç aile ...more
Rick Carroll
Jan 03, 2015 Rick Carroll rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Rick by: Darlene Ryan
I want to share one passage from this book:

They just wouldn't fuck off, those Satanists. I'd walk out of my hotel in the morning, and they'd be right outside my door, sitting in a circle on the carpet, all dressed in black hooded capes, surrounded by candles. Eventually, I couldn't take it anymore. So, one morning, instead of brushing past them as I usually did, I went up to them, sat down, took a deep breath, blew out the candles and sang 'Happy Birthday'.

They weren't too fucking happy about
Thomas Edmund
Mar 29, 2010 Thomas Edmund rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well... Wow, just wow. It must have been said so many times before, but just how can this man take so many drugs over the all decades of his life? Like most biographies, Ozzy’s covers his early childhood and some of his early ‘work’ experiences. Unlike many biographies (although not that uncommon amongst musicians’) after his initial success in Black Sabbath, Ozzy’s life drops into an endless rush of booze, illegal drugs, legal drugs and substances not supposed to be consumed by human mortals.

T
Jeb
Oct 29, 2011 Jeb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Where to begin.

Ozzy is the Alexander the Great of substance abuse, except that he didn't die in his early 30s despite every attempt to do so.

I believe that this book is proof that there is no underlying justice in the world. How can Dio be dead and this pickled human still live?

The inherent injustice aside, my wife said that she has never heard me laugh out loud so many times while reading a book. Laugh-horror is the only 'adjective' I can think of to describe my impression throughout the autob
Chip'sBookBinge
Jun 08, 2011 Chip'sBookBinge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How fitting it is to come from reading one of the worst books ever in that of Tommyland to this one, I Am Ozzy, which is the epitome of how to write a book. I Am Ozzy is hands down the best Rock Biography I have ever read. From page one to the very end of the book, there is not one wasted moment. Everything I read in I Am Ozzy is perfect. It's engaging, entertaining and more often than not, extremely funny.

I can't tell you how many times I laughed out loud at some of the stories Ozzy would recou
Jerry
Jul 09, 2012 Jerry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
As a long time fan of Ozzy, I was excited to find he had written an autobiography. Even if I've stopped following his recent activity, his music has been a constant in my life for at least thirty years. So I decided to read this book. I'd already heard so many of the stories, and remembered a lot of them from the news. So I didn't expect too much.

I was wrong. This book is phenomenal. It is everything an autobiography should be. Ozzy starts from childhood and goes straight up to the writing of hi
Michael Silver
Jun 12, 2013 Michael Silver rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am ozzy is a book about the life of the famous singer John Michael (Ozzy) Osbourne. Reading through his autobiography i began to understand the influence of his life on his music. his musical career from the beginning changed music forever. The band black sabbath wich consisted of Ozzy Osbourne, Toni Iomi, Geezer Butler, and Bill ward created some would say a whole new genre of music wich at the time was just called heavy metal. in this book the reader will learn about who Ozzy is, what he has ...more
Alora
Mar 16, 2010 Alora rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The reviews for this book were so great I just had to check it out. And besides, while I was never a serious head-banger I did have my Ozzy 8-track back in the day... and I was darn curious to see what he has to say now that he's old enough to be someone's grandpa.

First of all, if you are at all easily-shocked, don't read this. Second of all, if you can't hand the odd (as in mentioned every other sentence) four-letter word, don't read this.

But I did. And, honestly, I was completely engrossed all
Pamela Su
Surprisingly down-to-earth. Hilarious and yet oddly tender.

I know nothing about Black Sabbath and I never watched The Osbournes, except for the odd trailers that I would catch on tv.

I was fascinated by Ozzy's version of his life. There's a blunt honesty in this book and a kind of vulnerability that peeks through the words. It says a lot about the power of his story that I didn't hate him for the atrocious things that he's done.

Iconic moments of insanity had new amusing meaning. Some of the dark
Nathan Adams
Sep 30, 2015 Nathan Adams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining from front to back, a wild life of a wild man. I flew through this one. The substance abuse gets a little repetitive by the end, but hey, that's his reality. The guy should really have hit the slab a long time ago from all he's done to himself, it's a miracle he's still walking. Good romp through the world of a man who started with nothing, behaved badly most of his life, but stumbled his way to the top through force of will and the help of other talented and dedicated (and sometime ...more
Michael
May 19, 2011 Michael rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: musicians and wannabees
Recommended to Michael by: a goodreads friend
You can blame Keff Richards for the only three stars. Had I read Ozzy's book first, he would have received four and Keith only three. The story is the same, only the street names were changed to protect their innocence. Post-war England, described in most books as a shit-hole forever filmed in black and white. In the USA, we were trying to recover from the murder of our President, and the different reality of black and white. Music changed our lives. Some worked very hard and they escaped the sh ...more
John
Jun 23, 2014 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've never been a big fan of Ozzy. As a kid, I found him too scary, then later, once he started doing THE OSBOURNES, he just seemed like such an unbelievable idiot.
I AM OZZY didn't do much to increase my respect for him, but the book at least managed to make him somewhat relatable. Unlike with THE OSBOURNES, I spent as much time laughing WITH Ozzy as AT him.
Turns out Ozzy can be a really funny guy (especially with the right co-writer). He claims to have a big ego, but I wouldn't have guessed it
Robin Gardner
Oct 16, 2015 Robin Gardner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Back in 2010, I saw this had just been released, so I was intrigued. Always a fan of the shenanigans on The Osbournes, I thought I'd get a peek inside the Ozzman himself. I wasn't disappointed.

His sense of humor is prevalent throughout, and his impulsive nature seems to get him in a lot of trouble. He doesn't hold back with the darker elements of his recollections. It feels genuine, like what I'd imagine sitting down by the fire and listening to him tell tales from his past.

It's not all fun. H
Jen (The Bookavid)
Originally Published On My Review Blog

In "I Am Ozzy" by Ozzy Osbourne, Osbourne lets us in on every single detail of his life, including intoxicated adventures, drug escapades, terrible jobs and his struggle to becoming the person he is today.

If you think about Ozzy Osbourne, the prince of darkness, lead singer of Black Sabbath, you're usually associating him with satanism, murder, drugs and a lot of hatred. This novel shows that he's absolutely not the person the media portrays him as. He's a
Lorie
Feb 04, 2010 Lorie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
It was a candid biography by Ozzy. I was not disappointed, and he told it like it was and his personality was woven throughout the book. I could hear his voice in my head as I was reading it, and he was not mumbling.
I highly recommend it to everyone and it is definitely one of the Top Ten Rock n Roll biographies/autobiographies I have read.
Thom Sutton
Läst på svenska!

Ozzy is more or less the ideal author for an autobiography in that his life has been a none-stop whirlwind of total insanity and he doesn't have any particular scruples about describing all that insanity. He doesn't seem to remember many of the more notable details from long stretches of his music career, such as, say, recording most of the Black Sabbath albums, so the bulk of the book is devoted to describing his substance abuse and the problems he's made for himself as a result
Todd Merriman
Fun read. It's odd, because in the first chapter Ozzy cops to being mostly illiterate, due to his dyslexia, and I'd never read a book by someone who couldn't read or write before. Clearly, the ghost writer did the heavy lifting of punctuation, but didn't take a lot of pains to correct some of Ozzy's working class British linguistic idiosyncrasies.

The one that drove me most batty (and I do fear getting my head bitten off for saying so) was a structure in which the end of the sentence would roll
Jeff
Mar 30, 2010 Jeff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Black Sabbath fans, music bio junkies, pop culture readers
The Prince of Darkness, aka John "Ozzy" Osbourne comes clean, literally, in his autobiography released in 2009 in Britain and this year in America. Despite 40+ years of heavy (read: lethal for most) alcohol and drug abuse, gruesome incidents involving animal beheadings, and general rock 'n roll excess, Ozzy lives to tell the tale and claims 4-5 years of sobriety as of 2009. In fact, his Beverly Hills doctors tell him, he's quite healthy by 60-year old standards.

The best part of the book details
Candy
Feb 21, 2011 Candy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dude. Ozzy wrote a book. No, really, seriously. I admit that I kinda scratched my head when I heard that he had one coming out. It's taken me a while to read it because... well, I can barely understand what the dude is saying these days. I'm kind of scared of what he'll write - or if it will be coherent. The man has taken so many drugs throughout his life, I'd be surprised if he remembers his own name...

Imagine my surprise when I found his story is actually quite fascinating. A big kudos to him
Chris
Jun 06, 2016 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite metal records of all time have been a tie between two things for the last 25 years: Ozzy-era Sabbath and early Motorhead. My suspicion is that I will never stop feeling this way... and yes, 0zzy HAS done a few solo records worth a damn, too.

The thing I learned from this book that I'd NEVER seen any details about before was the crash/ death of Randy Rhoads. Ozzy discusses it in detail, and it's one of the more surreal tragedies in rock history, if not THE strangest.

I was surprised how
Phil Stokoe
Mar 22, 2013 Phil Stokoe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having been a fan of Ozzy since..well more years than I care to remember right now, and a big fan of autobiographies I can't believe that it's taken me this long to get around to reading this one, but eventually I did..and I debated for quite a while over whether I should award it 4 or 5 stars but in the end I decided 4 as it's incredibly difficult for me to give a book 5 stars.

That said I found this to be a really enjoyable read and it was good to get the stories I'd heard or read about for yea
Goodreads Librari...: Please Merge: Ozzy 3 153 May 08, 2013 08:30PM
  • Walk This Way: The Autobiography of Aerosmith
  • Red: My Uncensored Life in Rock
  • Sound of the Beast: The Complete Headbanging History of Heavy Metal
  • Begin Again: A Biography of John Cage
John Michael "Ozzy" Osbourne is the lead vocalist of the pioneering English heavy metal band Black Sabbath, a multi-platinum, award winning successful solo artist and the star of the reality show, The Osbournes. Considered by many to be the "Godfather of Heavy Metal," Ozzy has enjoyed a career that has now spanned four decades.
More about Ozzy Osbourne...

“It had a huge impact on me, ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit’ – and I was very proud when I found out that Kurt Cobain was a fan of mine. I thought he was awesome.” 31 likes
“That night, at God knows what hour, Bill phoned me up and shouted, ‘Ozzy, I think my
house is haunted!’

‘Sell tickets then,’ I told him, and put the phone down.”
26 likes