Nutrition: Concepts And Controversies

Nutrition: Concepts And Controversies

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  101 ratings  ·  13 reviews
This introductory text provides basic nutrition information and controversial topics. This edition emphasizes the food pyramid versus the exchange system as a tool for diet planning and includes the latest food labelling information.
Paperback, Seventh Edition, 600 pages
Published 1997 by West Publishing Company (first published January 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Nutrition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nutrition

Jon
Nov 30, 2008 Jon rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those wishing to learn about nutrition.
Shelves: food, health
This book was interesting to read. Lots of good advice. Some parts I disagreed with though. It seems nutrition is the never ending debate.
Steve Dorrington
Highly recommended book for anyone thinking about or studying nutrition. It isn't just the content, it is the ideas and background reading it provides. As with all nutrition books, by the time you start reading it, it will be out of date. Read it for what it is, a really well thought out book on nutrition. I actually bought copies for friends who were also interested in nutrition. I must admit that I only bought them second hand as a copy of a new one is extortionately priced.
Carolyn
Provides a large volume critical information, but scattered 'infobites' detract from the raw, necessary information to be memorized. Many a sciences textbook is plagued by the introduction of extraneous information, so as to 'excite' and 'relate to' the reader. Unfortunately, this does nothing but fatigue and overwhelm the eyes. Text was also ridiculously overpriced for what is received in the package.
Freya
This was the pre-nursing prerequisite class for getting into nursing school, i.e. science-based nutrition. It was a good foundation class text. But this book doesn't take into account the science of what happens to different foods once inside the body and the combining aspects in the digestive process. So it's science-based, just outside of the body.
Stephanie
This was a textbook for one of my classes and has been the only textbook I have actually entirely read. I loved all the information in it, and I kept the book for my home library for reference. It is a great book if you are looking for detailed information on vitamins, nutrients, and how they work in the body.
Amy
Let's hope this becomes the first class I actually finish since my official college career. I have started many since then and finished none.

Finish Ch. 10. Then, 12-15.

Well, finished the class, but not the book. This was so last year. Very readable for a textbook.
Susan
Excellent book regarding nutrition and the human body and its processes. A lot of information on healthy food options and what nutritional value foods hold.
Christine Miller

Read it for a class. Pretty basic, easy reading. Personally I would have preferred something with a little more depth.
Gaylynne Coates
I'm reading this for a nutrition class I'm taking, but really enjoying learning more about nutrition and health
Carolyn
Good first year textbook. Interesting, easy to read and explains things well. Only covers the basics.
Hassanat
I'm reading this book for one of my classes and I'm loving it :)
Linda Le
easy to read book for intro to nutrition. i LOVED it
Nichole Hunziker
I hated this book! It boring with a capital yaaaaaawn!
Terri Bellere
Terri Bellere marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Joe Antognini
Joe Antognini marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Jeff
Jeff added it
Jul 29, 2014
Apiradee Pilasan
Apiradee Pilasan marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Nutrition: Concepts and Controversies 12th [Paperback] A Functional Approach: Vitamins and Minerals for Sizer/Whitney's Nutrition: Concepts and Controversies, 12th Human Sexuality Essential Life Choices CME, Nutr CC W/CD/DRI/Info 9e