Start by marking “Maus Bxd Set-2 Vols” as Want to Read:
Maus Bxd Set-2 Vols

Maus Bxd Set-2 Vols (Maus #1-2)

4.5 of 5 stars 4.50  ·  rating details  ·  52,442 ratings  ·  2,887 reviews
Volumes I and II in hardcover together in this special boxed edition.
Boxed Set, 135 pages
Published November 14th 1991 by Pantheon Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Maus Bxd Set-2 Vols, please sign up.

Philip Swain Hi April,

Hi April,

I would say, based on the subject matter and its presentation, early teens and above. The book deals with an array of human emotions, which require a mature or maturing mind to comprehend. That being said, Maus is an excellent introduction for those unfamiliar with the Holocaust and its perpetrators.

I hope this helps.
Philip(less)

Lisa
oh my god.

description

This burrowed it's way deep into my heart. This made me feel so much. This was an experience, not just a "read". This was real and I can't even explain how this affected me because it was the most emotional thing I've ever read. Not made-up emotion. This was REAL and it affected me.

Vladek. He reminded me of my Grandfather, a little. I loved my Grandfather and I loved Vladek. His story, as told to his son Art Spiegelman, was one of the most powerful stories I've ever experienced.

This w
Alejandro
Wonderful example of the power of a graphic novel!

This is the “Complete” edition of “Maus: A Survivor’s Tale” collecting both parts: “My Father Bleeds History” and “And Here My Troubles Began”.

OF MAUS AND MEN

But these damn bugs are eating me alive!

While it took long time of finally reading Maus, I knew that it was a graphic novel referring about the Jew Holocaust, but using mice (Jews) and cats (Nazis) as the characters, and even while I was sure that it will be a crude telling, I didn’t e
Steve
It didn’t dawn on me until later that this brilliant piece of graphic artistry and fiction is actually a very clever allegory. On the face of it, we’re led to believe that it’s a story of the terrible suffering perpetrated by the Nazis against the Jews in Poland and throughout Europe. But if you scratch beneath the surface, I think you’ll find that this particular holocaust story was made to symbolize something more pervasive and endemic. I speak of the horrific violence that persists to this da ...more
Michelle
Jan 06, 2009 Michelle rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody
Shelves: non-fiction
Kat Kennedy
LeeAnne
The Complete Maus
Art Spiegelman

Probably the most informative and intimate journal of the holocaust I have ever read.

Maus is really two parallel stories, not one. It jumps back and forth between the two stories, one set in the past (Poland), the other set in the present (NYC).

Story 1: 1940’s Poland: Vladek Spiegelman tells how he survived the holocaust as a Polish-Jew. From the invasion, to the spread of Naziam, to his time in Auschwitz-Birkenau extermination camp as a tin worker at the gas cha
Praj
Where should I commence to appraise this book? Must I begin from the detail that MAUS is a gratifying story of Vladek and Art OR that it is a sheer enlightenment through simplicity?

Art Spiegelman in this astounding graphic novel reveals a fractured father-son relationship whilst focusing on the perils of the Holocaust. The story is set in Rego Park, NY where Art Spiegelman, a cartoonist tries to verbalize and grasp with his father and the Holocaust.

Written over a period of thirteen years, MAUS
Megan
Books I read rarely affect my emotions when I'm not reading it. A book can pull me every which way, make me feel horrified or saddened or joyful, but when I put it down, I'm in the same mood I was before I started reading it. Only occasionally can a book get under my skin, and Maus is one of them. I was actually happy to finish it, because I didn't like the way it was making me feel: anxious, upset, unhappy. And I've read Holocaust stuff before. It's not new. Something about the way Spiegelman c ...more
Kirk
This was our second book in the local library's discussion of Jewish graphic novels. It is, of course, the most famous and most celebrated exemplar of the genre (if you don't count the superhero stuff). What is amazing about the book is the emotional resonance Spiegelman manages to pack into his panels. In telling the story of his father's experience in the Holocaust, the author refuses to sentimentalize or pander. The most striking innovation is the use of mice for Jews, an appropriation of the ...more
Wanda
If this book hadn’t been a selection for my book club in January, I would never have picked it up. Not because I’m a snob about graphic novels—I think they are legitimate form of literature and very enjoyable to boot. But I might have avoided Maus because of the subject matter—I haven’t read very much about the holocaust and that is by choice. I guess I’m a chicken, but I hate exploring just how terribly we can treat one another. I haven’t yet read Romeo Dallaire’s book about the Rwandan genocid ...more
Arnie
When I was a kid I read comic books (mostly Superman). The Maus books are the only graphic novels I've read and I consider them masterpieces (Mausterpieces?). Like Spiegelman's alter ego, I was a middle class child growing up in Queens (NYC), the son of Holocaust survivors and couldn't communicate with my father when I was growing up. He got it down perfectly. It was spot on and ranks among the best of Holocaust related literature.
Hershey
Such a poignant book. My heart feels heavy and it hurts.

Maus, I don't know what to say about this book. I don't want to think about those people in this book. It's just too painful. We waste so much in life. We take things for granted. And we always realize the importance of these things once they're gone forever. But what's the point in realizing its value once it's gone? This is what Maus taught me. Ah, it hurts. I can't review this book. Simply cannot. But I'm obviously going to try.

Maus is a
Leah
THE COMPLETE MAUS is, to date, the hardest, most emotionally draining novel I have read in my adult life. It was a heart-wrenching, but really necessary read for me, and I’m proud of myself for deciding to read something so far outside my comfort zone (I tend to shy away from both history and memoir/true story novels).

The book is a story within a story. Art shows himself interviewing his father, Vladek, and his time spent with his father for part of this book, and the rest of the story is Vladek
Sue
This was an amazing read.

This was so good. I've known about it for a long time but somehow never sought it out. Maybe it was a bias against graphic novels? Not sure. I'm so glad I finally read it. This is a picture of human strength and frailty, humane and savage behavior, done in a novel way that seems to make it even more immediate and real.
Fragileindustries
Aug 12, 2008 Fragileindustries rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone (over 14)
I finally read this, in two separate editions, and now they are on my shelf of classic favorites that have moved me profoundly and changed me fundamentally.

After historical study, movies (Schindler's List et al) and novels (Sophie's Choice etc.), I felt I had had enough of Holocaust stories. I would never forget, as goes the dictum, but these tales were too unnerving and painful to read. What more could I learn?

The difference with Maus is not only the graphic novel format (although this does mak
Dylan Williams
This graphic novel was great, really, really, really, really great! The story although unique, is exactly what you would expect from a holocaust story - It's heart breaking and extremely sad.

My favourite part of these books was the way it jumped between past and present to not only show how things were before and during the war, but also how it has effected the lives of the characters in post-war america. On top of that I also loved how confronting a lot of the graphics were. This story is unapo
Jo
Art Spiegelman’s parents wanted him to be a dentist. I’m sure that would have provided him with a much more stable income but he wouldn’t have won a Pulitzer Prize.
Or created one of the most innovative and emotional pieces of literature I have read for a long time.

Maus was first published in the magazine Raw which he and his wife started in 1980. It tells the story of Spiegelman’s father, Vladek, and his life as a Jew in Poland before and during the Second World War. The concept behind the novel
Barry Pierce
I really, really loved this. It's a fascinating and fresh portrayal of a (yet another) victim's experience of the Holocaust. I loved the meta aspect of this as well, the actual presentation of how the novel was written is fascinating.

However, my one criticism is that I feel Spiegelman didn't use the whole mice and cats metaphor as well as he could. This novel would have had the exact same impact and tone if he just drew everyone as humans. I feel like the anthropomorphism was... pointless. Ther
Ananthu
At the risk of sounding preposterous, here's what I scrawled after I turned the last page:

Frightfully gutted to say anything.
I yield; I can only leave silence in my wake, for I find no words to wrest out of me. But, but, wait, wait.....Powerful? Poignant? Heart wrenching? Devastating? Or, or... I don't know! I don't know! Just...just read it goddamitt!

Mike
This year marks the 25th anniversary of "Maus, A Survivor's Tale," by Art Spiegelman. Originally published in two volumes, the first completed in 1986, and the second in 1991, "Maus" was awarded a special Pulitzer Prize in 1992. The Pulitzer Committee frankly stated they found the work difficult to classify. "Maus" remains the only comic strip to be so honored.

Naturally, simply referring to "Maus" as a comic strip or comic book raises the hackles of those who find the term graphic novel more app
K
Two genres I thought I was completely finished with -- holocaust books, and graphic novels (although technically this was probably more of a memoir).

This is up there with Night and several other powerful Holocaust books I read that actually impacted me, back when I wasn't yet too jaded for the genre. I think it helped that it wasn't just another Holocaust narrative -- it was equally the story of Art Spiegelman's quirky, cantankerous father and Art's complicated relationship with him. And the pic
Ferdy
4.5 stars - Spoilers

Loved it. I think I learnt more about the Holocaust from Maus than I did at school.

-The illustrations were nothing brilliant, they were simple black and white drawings — though that suited the tone of the story.

-At first I wasn't impressed with Spiegelman using animals to represent different religions and nationalities, it seemed a bit insulting and demeaning to Spiegelman's dad and other Holocaust survivors. By the end, I thought it was a great way to characterise everyone.
Belinda
Just beautiful. Heartachingly beautiful. Really, the only criticism I can give to Maus is...that I wish there were more. Really, it's a fast, fast read, and in fact, goes by way too quickly. The artwork is not something you linger over; there aren't a lot of intricate details in the drawings or anything, but the format suits the story so well, and the artwork matches the emotion in every frame.

Now I'm heading over to hulu.com to watch the Simpson's episode that Art Speigelman guested in. "Maus i
JGG
I've never been into comics, and to be honest, I've never had much respect for the format. Well, Maus just changed all that. This book is a beautiful masterpiece that made me cry on multiple occasions, and I can't recommend it enough.
Ricardo
5 / 5

Crudo, decadente y lleno de emoción en cada página. Una obra maestra de la novela gráfica.
Brandon
Maus tells the story of Vladek, a Holocaust survivor living in New York. His son Art (also the author), interviews his father about his time spent dodging capture as well as his imprisonment at Auschwitz. Vladek recounts those who helped him, who betrayed him and the Nazis who murdered his friends and family. When not revisiting the past, Art explores his own current relationship with his father as well as his Dad’s obsession with money that both frustrates and ultimately alienates his second wi ...more
Cecily
Aug 29, 2013 Cecily marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
What has always troubled me about the book is that cats are natural predators of mice, so the analogy with the Holocaust seems dangerously wrong.

However, in a comment on Steve's thought-provoking review (http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...), Ian pointed out, "My concern is that, if we fail to draw analogies with other, "lesser" conflicts, we might not see the next Holocaust coming. If we think of the Holocaust as qualitatively unique, we might become complacent. I think there are analogies
Vale
Valió la pena esperar más de un año para tener esta obra de arte en mis manos.
Lucrezia
Maus l' ho divorato per la prima volta anni fa. Sprofondata in una di quelle comode poltrone che ti mette a disposizione la Feltrinelli per esaminare i libri prima di comprarli leggiucchiandoli un po'. Solo che, ecco, io il libro non lo esaminai, lo "bevvi" proprio tutto e lo lasciai lì...
Perché? Non mi ricordo proprio.
Leggere Maus è un po come guardare un film d' animazione. Di quelli fatti bene.
La "Storia" (con la S maiuscola perché di Storia si tratta) che potete oltre che leggere, guardare s
Teresa
"A narrativa mais comovente e eficaz alguma vez escrita sobre o Holocausto."
- The Wall Street Journal

Através de desenhos - em que as personagens são animais - o autor conta a história do seu pai desde a juventude até à sua deportação para Aushwitz.

Li cerca de cem páginas, em trezentas, e custou-me tanto!
Como tanto me custa escrever uma opinião honesta sobre o que li.
O tema do Holocausto nazi perturba-me, comove-me, revolta-me, assusta-me... e por isso gostava tanto de gostar deste livro! Mas nã
2015 Reading Chal...: Maus by Art Spiegelman 6 33 Mar 05, 2015 01:43AM
Goodreads Librari...: Correcting "First Published" date 2 14 Feb 22, 2015 09:49AM
BookTube: Creativ...: Maus I-II by Art Spiegelman 1 4 Dec 31, 2014 11:50AM
Do you like the father? 34 257 Oct 25, 2014 07:31PM
Graphic Novels 11 75 Sep 11, 2014 11:03PM
The Ultimate Teen...: Maus - Art Spiegelman 11 11 May 15, 2014 10:42AM
  • Palestine
  • The Complete Persepolis (Persepolis, #1-4)
  • The Contract With God Trilogy: Life on Dropsie Avenue
  • From Hell
  • Three Shadows
  • Epileptic
  • The Book of Genesis
  • Why Are You Doing This?
Art Spiegelman (born Itzhak Avraham ben Zeev) is New-York-based comics artist, editor, and advocate for the medium of comics, best known for his Pulitzer Prize-winning comic memoir, Maus.
More about Art Spiegelman...

Maus (2 books)
  • Maus, I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History (Maus, #1)
  • Maus, II: And Here My Troubles Began (Maus, #2)
Maus, I: A Survivor's Tale: My Father Bleeds History (Maus, #1) Maus, II: And Here My Troubles Began (Maus, #2) In the Shadow of No Towers MetaMaus: A Look Inside a Modern Classic, Maus Breakdowns: Portrait of the Artist as a Young %@&*!

“Sometimes I don't feel like a functioning adult” 28 likes
“I know this is insane, but i somehow wish i had been in auschwitz with my parents so i could really know what they lived through! I guess it's some kind of guilt about having had an easier life than they did.” 16 likes