The Snodgrass Conspiracy

The Snodgrass Conspiracy (The Lost Colony #1)

2.73 of 5 stars 2.73  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  16 reviews

Set in nineteenth-century America, The Lost Colony takes place on a mysterious island unknown to the rest of the world. No one knows it exists except its citizens, a colorful and outrageous band of capitalists, inventors, hucksters, and freemen. They jealously guard the island's fantastic wealth from the prying fingers of the outside world, even as they attempt to conceal
Published May 2nd 2006 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about The Snodgrass Conspiracy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Snodgrass Conspiracy

Linda Cohen
The book got a point bump for the art-I really have no idea what was going on with the story and I'm not sure I care enough to look for the next volumes to find out.
Lars Guthrie
Interesting satirical graphic novel about tawdry and shameful aspects of American roots that maybe tries a little too hard.
Heather
I bought this book on a whim recently because it was raining and the book store I was trapped in had it on super-sale. Also, the topic seemed right up my alley (American history and such). After reading it I am...confused. Maybe I need to see where this first book fits in with the rest of the series? Maybe I don't read enough graphic novel-type things to have the proper context for judging these kinds of things? Well, I remain intrigued at the very least, though not enough to look for the other...more
Calsi
Er... Slightly mind boggling.
Stephen Theaker
An odd little book, set on the peculiar island home of some peculiar people, in 19th century America. My American history isn't very good, but I think it's an alternative US, since slavery is still legal. I can't say I enjoyed it all that much - the characters were interesting, but the story's told mainly via a series of close-up shots of their heads, which becomes a bit wearing after a while.
mika
this is a very interesting project - hard to tell what exactly is going on just by reading vol. 1. some interesting racialized figures, including a oaxacan mad scientist posing as a chinky chinaman. the landscape is very virginia/carolinas (?) - sometimes the art is hard to follow, despite (or maybe because of) popping color.
Myles
This book...19th century America before slavery ended, a magical secret island, 'colorful' characters, blah blah blah - I just reread this and nothing's made an impression. Which is a shame because I really like the style of the book, the art, the lettering, etc. Maybe Book Two makes more sense.
Kate
Strange little graphic novel...the art was not to my liking, nor the font of the text. Lots of bold black lines that I found hurt my eyes. The story is much too wacky and convoluted for me to find a theme.
Jason
While I loved the artwork and 1 of the characters in this book it wasn't something that left an impression on me. It felt scattered, unorganized and lacked in depth of character progression.
David Schwan
A short graphic novel. I love the graphics! The story does not become apparent until maybe half way through the book. The Chinese alchemist Dr. Wong is always mixing his potions. Fun read.
alissa
So cute! I bought this one for Ian for his birthday. Just enough racist characters to make the cuteness bearable.
Brandy
Sep 07, 2009 Brandy marked it as abandoned
Shelves: 2009, comics
Really liked the art, but by the halfway point I still couldn't figure out the story and gave up. Alas.
Sue
I had a very difficult time following this one. Seemed a little like POGO.
Linda
It was confusing, and not very organized.
Jason
Hard to follow. Quite colorful art.
Jessel
Jessel marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Jai Go
Jai Go marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Steven Stadnicki
Steven Stadnicki marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Allen Rubinstein
Allen Rubinstein marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Cartoon Introduction to Statistics The Lost Colony, Book Two: The Red Menace The Lost Colony, Book Three: Last Rights Lost Colony, Book No. 1: The Snodgrass Conspiracy The Cartoon Introduction to Economics, Volume 1: Microeconomics