Start by marking “The Meeting of the Waters: 7 Global Currents That Will Propel the Future Church” as Want to Read:
The Meeting of the Waters: 7 Global Currents That Will Propel the Future Church

The Meeting of the Waters: 7 Global Currents That Will Propel the Future Church

The Meeting of the Waters identifies seven trends having a major impact on the Church around the world—and on every Christian at home in every country.

The global community of Christians is stunning in its scope and spiritual impact. But what is happening to the Church as new technology, marketing, and generational shifts make their unavoidable mark? And what difference do
Published March 1st 2010 by David C. Cook (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Meeting of the Waters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Meeting of the Waters

Phil Whittall
Fritz Kling is a well-travelled man working with many mission agencies around the world. He's also a thoughtful observer of what he's found. In The Meeting of the Waters: 7 Global currents that will propel the future church Kling articulates those observations.

Kling introduces two characters to illustrate how the world has changed and how that affects the mission of the church both positively and negatively. On the one hand we have 'mission marm' who moved to serve God in the jungle in the 1950s
Justin
Jun 11, 2016 Justin rated it it was ok
Shelves: religion
I feel like 2 stars might be a little stingy given Kling's work in sorting out these currents (and other readers' responses), but it was a bit of a dry, overlong (even at 200 pages or so) read. What's here felt a little redundant - mostly a series of stories in each chapter making the same point -- and would have been great as a long article or long chapter in a book on the global church.

While Kling's idea is to start a discussion on these ideas and to get others to think through them, it could
Markus
Jun 18, 2016 Markus rated it really liked it
The Meeting of the Waters gives a good wake up of what's happening globally within the church and more interesting to me, how it will affect missions in the next generation.

The writer had gone all over the world on a 'listening tour' talking to ministers, missionaries of numerous countries with questions about current trends in Mercy, Mutuality, Migration, Monoculture, Machines, Mediation, and Memory.

I found the chapter on Monoculture most interesting (how the world is homogenizing and sacrific
Linda
Jun 10, 2010 Linda rated it really liked it
The Meeting of the Waters is a book packed with challenges and ideas for evangelizing through the global Church. Fritz lays out what he sees as seven ‘currents’ that are changing the ways of evangelizing around the globe. It has definitely opened my eyes to the every-changing world we live in, and how we need to make changes to order to evangelize.

1. Mercy-an increasing emphasis on meeting physical need in addition to evangelism.

2. Mutuality-leaders from traditionally poor countries having great
Ryan
Nov 02, 2011 Ryan rated it liked it
Shelves: god
The Meeting of the Waters by Fritz Kling is a high-level discussion of trends that will affect mission work. Kling and others spent a year (half of 2006, half of 2007) with a group traveling to 19 countries and interviewing church people about the church and their relationship with America. They labeled this effort the Global Church Listening Tour. The result was 7 trends that Kling wraps up as the Seven Ms: Mercy, Mutuality, Migration, Monoculture, Machines, Mediation, Memory.

I think the book
Basil Chong
Aug 12, 2012 Basil Chong rated it really liked it
Perhaps slightly discouraging to someone who grew up in a church that moves rather slowly, and having consoled myself with the idea that "Things Take Time", The Meeting of the Waters is a thought-provoking, relevant read for someone who wishes to see the church move forward into the 21st century as a relevant, learning organization.

7 currents that are shaping/will shape the growth of the church in the next half-century: Mercy, Mutuality, Migration, Monoculture, Machines, Mediation and Memory. Cu
Mike Becher
Apr 01, 2016 Mike Becher rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013, leadership
Living in a church culture where it can sometimes feel like forward movement is slow, this was a refreshing look at what's happening around the globe and how neglecting to (1) acknowledge it, and (2) embrace it will be a destructive force pushing the church farther and farther from relevancy.

However, it did a GREAT job of helping modern day "hipster" evangelists (dubbed Apple Guy in the book) celebrate the past while preparing the hearts of "old school" missionaries (dubbed Mission Marm) to embr
Abbie Riddle
Mar 25, 2010 Abbie Riddle rated it it was amazing
The Meeting of the Waters, Fritz Kling
This book does a wonderful job of addressing the current issues facing the church. It brings to light so many of the concerns and struggles that Pastors and laymen are dealing with in trying to bridge the generation gap. As a pastor’s wife I have seen first hand the beauty of a church where the older generation willing passes on the torch and embraces the newness of things and the younger generation listens and learns from the older. I have also been witness
Fred
Jan 03, 2014 Fred rated it liked it
This is a well-written, pretty straightforward examination of the cultural forces at work in the world. Fritz Kling is involved with a foundation that sends him all over the globe (presumably to research grants but he never says that). He also grew up in the American evangelical subculture and remains a Christian today. His book is written to help Americans, particularly Christians, understand the cultural forces that they will have to reckon with if they are going to be involved in the wider wo ...more
Jennifer Short
Jan 14, 2012 Jennifer Short rated it really liked it
This is a great book for anyone who is interested in missions and the future of the Church in mission. It addresses concerns in sensitive areas of the world such as how technology can track the movements of missionaries. The author compares and contrasts the history of missions with current trends and how those trends will effect the future of sending missionaries. He encourages the use of natives in every part of the world as much as possible, and to see missions as a partnership, not as a one ...more
Rob
Dec 20, 2011 Rob rated it really liked it
Going into this book, I knew nothing of Fritz Kling nor, frankly, of the book. It was simply another cheap (free/discounted) kindle book that my wife picked up. I suppose it was because of this that I began the book with such skepticism.

Much to my surprise, it was a great book. Kling presents a number of issues that simply must be considered by the Church in today's environment. While written clearly from the perspective of a Christian, I wouldn't call it a book on Theology but rather a practica
Roger Miller
Feb 22, 2015 Roger Miller rated it liked it
A book on the seven global currents in the global Church. Some of the currents I can remember are mono culture, Mutuality, Technology, generation shifts and immigration. A great book on giving the church a check up on the health and direction to the church. He uses great word picture like Missionary Marm and Apply guy to make he points. Then each chapter is filed with illustrative stories to get his point. A must read if you are iterested in the church, or missions.
Phil Barnes
Dec 29, 2014 Phil Barnes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Trends in Missions

This is a very interesting (though a bit dated) book about globalization's impact on missions. The author has identified seven trends that must be addressed by those desiring to be involved in taking the gospel to the nations.
Shantanu
Jun 06, 2016 Shantanu rated it it was amazing
meticulously researched. Yet not heavy reading.
Richelle Wright
Feb 23, 2016 Richelle Wright rated it really liked it
challenging thoughts ~
Nick Park
Jul 24, 2013 Nick Park rated it it was amazing
As one of the leaders featured in this book, it was interesting to read Fritz Kling's impressions of me and the church I lead.
A very thought provoking book.
Erika
Sep 26, 2010 Erika rated it liked it
I love where this book is going :)
It's most certainly an important book that any pastor or church leader could benefit from.
I highly recommended it.
Margaret Boehm
Oct 06, 2012 Margaret Boehm rated it liked it
Interesting book on how missionary work has been done in the past and what it is evolving into the future.
Lauren Purser
Lauren Purser is currently reading it
Sep 23, 2016
Ashly Jacob
Ashly Jacob rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2016
Jean Jacques
Jean Jacques rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2016
Nate Denning
Nate Denning marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Marc Daly
Marc Daly marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Chuck Mcknight
Chuck Mcknight marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Kevin
Kevin rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2016
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Tom Grove
Tom Grove marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
John
John marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
  • It's Your Call: What Are You Doing Here?
  • Church Zero: Raising 1st Century Churches out of the Ashes of the 21st Century Church
  • The Juggling Act: Bringing Balance to Your Faith, Family, and Work
  • Hell Is Real (But I Hate to Admit It)
  • Better: How Jesus Satisfies the Search for Meaning
  • Battle Ready: Prepare to Be Used by God (Bold Man Of God, #1)
  • Astonished: Recapturing the Wonder, Awe, and Mystery of Life with God
  • Losers Like Us: Redefining Discipleship after Epic Failure
  • Seeing through the Fog: Hope When Your World Falls Apart
  • Building Up One Another
  • Do You See What I See?: Exploring the Christmas of Every Day
  • The Power of Suffering: Strengthening Your Faith in the Refiner's Fire (Macarthur Study Series)
  • Be Satisfied (Ecclesiastes): Looking for the Answer to the Meaning of Life