Start by marking “Share This!: How You Will Change the World with Social Networking” as Want to Read:
Share This!: How You Will Change the World with Social Networking

Read Book

Share This!: How You Will Change the World with Social Networking

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  65 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
The development of the social web--the set of digital tools that allow people to connect with one another and share their stories—offers extraordinary potential to change what voices get heard in the global conversation. This is unlike anything the world has seen in a thousand years. Change agents working to make the world a better place need not just to be on board with s ...more
Published June 14th 2010 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Share This!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Share This!

Dennis Fischman
Jun 01, 2012 Dennis Fischman rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People interested in social change and either intrigued or alarmed (or both) by social networking
Recommended to Dennis by: Benjamin Greenberg
Shelves: nonfiction
Deanna Zandt has written a wonderful guide to social networks for people who don't feel at home there. She explains what's new about building relationships through Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and the like, and she encourages us all to participate.

"Sharing is daring," she says. By putting more of yourself out there, within limits that you consciously set, you increase your credibility with people who are just getting to know you. As you become more well known, you win people's trust. At the same
Rebekah
Jun 15, 2010 Rebekah rated it it was amazing
Share This! is incredibly entertaining -- a great read. If you love social media, you will love this book. But if you don't, you will love it just as much, if not more. Zandt does an incredible job analyzing social media technology as tools for social change, demystifying what might cause anxiety for the techno-phobes among us and challenging the cynics who think it's all about sharing what you had for breakfast (sometimes it is, but that's not a bad thing).

The arguments in this book turn socia
Catherine
Dec 28, 2010 Catherine rated it it was amazing
For me, the biggest takeaway from this book isn't a deeper understanding of the tools and processes Deanna describes so well - it's the "why". Why sharing makes a difference - in my case, helping me to tap into an understanding of the frustration I have largely inflicted on myself over the last few years. Having been used to sharing a great deal of my personal and political process, and then consciously denying myself that outlet (for other reasons) I found myself furiously nodding at so much of ...more
Deanna Zandt
May 02, 2016 Deanna Zandt rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm a bit biased.
Jen Angel
Apr 04, 2011 Jen Angel rated it it was amazing
LOVED THIS BOOK. Deanna is funny, and this book explains complicated concepts in a really accessible way. Interested in social media? Use it for work? Want to know what it all means? Though this does have how-to elements, what it's really about is the cultural and political impacts and implications - what does it mean for racial justice? organizing? WAY more relevant to my work, especially compared to the last social media book I read (unmarketing).

For anyone who uses Twitter or Facebook. Serio
Natali
Jul 03, 2010 Natali rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Zandt is a fun writer and makes a strong argument for using social media for civic engagement and social change. She argues that if we don't take our social networks seriously, we run the risk of allowing the new medium to settle into the bad habits of old media: bias, unbalanced power structure, etc. I highly recommend this book to social media theorists and beginners alike.
Desiree
Oct 12, 2010 Desiree rated it really liked it
Fairly interesting book about social networking. Recommended more for those who are new to social networking as there are lots of parts that others would already know. A quick and easy read, with lots of tips, even if you think you know what you are doing! :-)
Lynn
Jan 22, 2011 Lynn rated it really liked it
This book made me aware of how many fewer women than men are voicing their opinions on the web for fear of being judged and how they keep rewording their postings to get them perfect before hitting submit.
Jessica
Jul 09, 2010 Jessica rated it really liked it
Great book about how to use social networking to facilitate change. The book has a great tips/reference section. The author did a fantastic job keeping the book light by injecting humor throughout.
Veronica
Jul 05, 2010 Veronica rated it really liked it
A must read for newbies to social media, haters of social media and anyone who wants to know how to use social media for good.
Deborah
Oct 14, 2010 Deborah rated it liked it
There is some good information here, but I think it needed to be organized better.
Doug Keipp
Jun 13, 2013 Doug Keipp rated it really liked it
Find your voice. Share your voice. Your participation in the conversation is needed.
MM
Jan 18, 2012 MM rated it liked it
I liked it alright, yeah.
Rishard
Jun 18, 2010 Rishard rated it really liked it
Good times. As much as I'm online and on social networks this book taught me a few things. Mostly stats and other interesting facts from a womens point of view. Cool stuff.
Hemi
Apr 15, 2012 Hemi rated it really liked it
Very insightful.
Mohamd Dark
Mohamd Dark marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Ola Stoe
Ola Stoe marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Jamil Smith
Jamil Smith marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Cecilia
Cecilia marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2015
DeMarcus
DeMarcus marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Miranda Barrett
Miranda Barrett marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015
Nancy Deschênes
Nancy Deschênes rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2015
Lilianad
Lilianad rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2015
Emily Moore
Emily Moore rated it it was ok
Apr 23, 2015
Helen Bradley
Helen Bradley rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2015
Cassie Clark
Cassie Clark rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2015
John Mcdonald
John Mcdonald marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Deepak Pareek
Deepak Pareek marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
John
John rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Deanna Zandt is an award-winning media technologist, the co-founder of and partner at Lux Digital, and the author of Share This! How You Will Change the World with Social Networking (Berrett-Koehler 2010). She is a consultant to key media and advocacy organizations, and her clients have included The Ford Foundation, Deutsche Telekom, Planned Parenthood, and Jim Hightower’s Hightower Lowdown. Zandt ...more
More about Deanna Zandt...