Start by marking “Share This!: How You Will Change the World with Social Networking” as Want to Read:
Share This!: How You Will Change the World with Social Networking

Share This!: How You Will Change the World with Social Networking

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The development of the social web--the set of digital tools that allow people to connect with one another and share their stories—offers extraordinary potential to change what voices get heard in the global conversation. This is unlike anything the world has seen in a thousand years. Change agents working to make the world a better place need not just to be on board with s ...more
Published June 14th 2010 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Share This!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Share This!

Dennis Fischman
Jun 01, 2012 Dennis Fischman rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People interested in social change and either intrigued or alarmed (or both) by social networking
Recommended to Dennis by: Benjamin Greenberg
Shelves: nonfiction
Deanna Zandt has written a wonderful guide to social networks for people who don't feel at home there. She explains what's new about building relationships through Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and the like, and she encourages us all to participate.

"Sharing is daring," she says. By putting more of yourself out there, within limits that you consciously set, you increase your credibility with people who are just getting to know you. As you become more well known, you win people's trust. At the same
Rebekah
Share This! is incredibly entertaining -- a great read. If you love social media, you will love this book. But if you don't, you will love it just as much, if not more. Zandt does an incredible job analyzing social media technology as tools for social change, demystifying what might cause anxiety for the techno-phobes among us and challenging the cynics who think it's all about sharing what you had for breakfast (sometimes it is, but that's not a bad thing).

The arguments in this book turn socia
Catherine
For me, the biggest takeaway from this book isn't a deeper understanding of the tools and processes Deanna describes so well - it's the "why". Why sharing makes a difference - in my case, helping me to tap into an understanding of the frustration I have largely inflicted on myself over the last few years. Having been used to sharing a great deal of my personal and political process, and then consciously denying myself that outlet (for other reasons) I found myself furiously nodding at so much of ...more
Jen Angel
LOVED THIS BOOK. Deanna is funny, and this book explains complicated concepts in a really accessible way. Interested in social media? Use it for work? Want to know what it all means? Though this does have how-to elements, what it's really about is the cultural and political impacts and implications - what does it mean for racial justice? organizing? WAY more relevant to my work, especially compared to the last social media book I read (unmarketing).

For anyone who uses Twitter or Facebook. Serio
Natali
I really enjoyed this book. Zandt is a fun writer and makes a strong argument for using social media for civic engagement and social change. She argues that if we don't take our social networks seriously, we run the risk of allowing the new medium to settle into the bad habits of old media: bias, unbalanced power structure, etc. I highly recommend this book to social media theorists and beginners alike.
Desiree
Fairly interesting book about social networking. Recommended more for those who are new to social networking as there are lots of parts that others would already know. A quick and easy read, with lots of tips, even if you think you know what you are doing! :-)
Lynn
This book made me aware of how many fewer women than men are voicing their opinions on the web for fear of being judged and how they keep rewording their postings to get them perfect before hitting submit.
Jessica
Great book about how to use social networking to facilitate change. The book has a great tips/reference section. The author did a fantastic job keeping the book light by injecting humor throughout.
Veronica
A must read for newbies to social media, haters of social media and anyone who wants to know how to use social media for good.
Deborah
There is some good information here, but I think it needed to be organized better.
Doug Keipp
Find your voice. Share your voice. Your participation in the conversation is needed.
MM
I liked it alright, yeah.
Rishard
Good times. As much as I'm online and on social networks this book taught me a few things. Mostly stats and other interesting facts from a womens point of view. Cool stuff.
Hemi
Very insightful.
John Mcdonald
John Mcdonald marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Deepak Pareek
Deepak Pareek marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Laura Porter
Laura Porter is currently reading it
Jun 29, 2014
Kerri
Kerri marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Kirsten
Kirsten marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014