Start by marking “Jeff Shaara's Civil War Battlefields Jeff Shaara's Civil War Battlefields Jeff Shaara's Civil War Battlefields” as Want to Read:

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  484 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
TRAVEL THROUGH A PIVOTAL TIME IN AMERICAN HISTORY
Jeff Shaara, America's premier Civil War novelist, gives a remarkable guided tour of the ten Civil War battlefields every American should visit: Shiloh, Antietam, Fredericksburg/Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, Vicksburg, New Market, Chickamauga, the Wilderness/Spotsylvania, Cold Harbor, and Petersburg/Appomattox. Shaara explo
Published April 25th 2006 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2006)

Be the first to ask a question about Jeff Shaara's Civil War Battlefields Jeff Shaara's Civil War Battlefields Jeff Shaara's Civil War Battlefields

Frank Richardson
Great book for us civil war buffs. For those who are interested, Jeff Shaara is the son of Michael Shaara who in 1974 wrote a book called "The Killer Angels" It won the Pulitzer Prize in 1975 but it only enjoyed modest sales until Ken Burn's epic documentary film, "The Civil War" appeared over several weeks on public television and resulted in renewed interest in the Civil War. This was in the early 1990's and then in 1992, Ted Turner took quite a chance, according to Jeff, and financed a film c ...more
Ora
I listened to this audio book and didn't know how worthwhile a book about how to visit a civil war battlefield would be. I was pleasantly surprised.

The book is more history book as it covers 10 significant battles, why they were important and then a bit of what to see at each site. The battles are listed in chronological order, so you also are led through the war in a logical progression.

I can imagine borrowing the physical book to plan a future vacation.
Corey
Sep 14, 2015 Corey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love love love Shaara's books! For my money he is one of the preeminent historical fiction writers out there. I hadn't read any non-fiction by him but recently took a vacation which included a side trip to Gettysburg and Manassas (bucket list items for me for sure). I bought this book to help my wife more than anything as she is not a history buff. However, I was delighted to find that this book contains a great synopsis of each battle covered, the significance of the battle and his recommenda ...more
Spike Pedersen
Mar 15, 2013 Spike Pedersen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great guide to history. The book builds on the wonderful civil war work that he has done with his father. He talks of the loss of life and the need for it, and the absolute needless loss of life. War should never happpen again. We need to find common ground without the horrrible method we use still today.
Dayla
Apr 14, 2014 Dayla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay already, Jeff Shaara. We know that you are a great writer, but somehow, I was not moved by the lackluster recitation of the equipment and loss of life. It might even have been more interesting, if there was like a running total of the loss of life or the growing budget.

When you said Civil War Battlefields, you meant it. Take it or leave it.

My sisters couldn't take it after the 2nd CD. So I promised them intrigue with the final CD and Lee's surrender. Thank goodness there was a little more
Jaret
Apr 10, 2015 Jaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-5-star-books
This was a really well-written handbook to major Civil War battlefields to visit. The format of the chapters were well-organized. Shaara explained the major events at each battlefield, how that battle affected the Civil War as a whole, and what sights to see at each place. It was obvious that Shaara was using research as well as personal experience for each site. Even though I was listening to the audioversion and not the text copy (which I probably would have enjoyed more), the descriptions wer ...more
Rob
Oct 10, 2012 Rob rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jeff Shaara has a way of bringing history to life, even in this work of non-fiction. As a history lover, especially of the Civil War time period, this book was extremely entertaining and interesting! Shaara does a great job of detailing several major battles throughout the Civil War as well as the events leading up to and following those battles. He does a remarkable job of telling the entire story of the war in both the Eastern and Western theaters, tying everything together, to create a book t ...more
Mike
Jun 09, 2010 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Jeff Shaara's Civil War Battlefields", is a must for anyone interested in the American Civil War and it's history. Jeff Shaara has taken up the mantle of research and discovery to bring all the information about the Civil War to those historians and history buffs alike.
This book is broken down into 10 battles. Each battle is thoroughly discussed and includes the why's and where's the battles were fought. As you read through the sections, you can begin to understand what was going on a the tim
Donna Davis
This nifty little paperback is a nice reference material if you are sufficiently interested in the American Civil War that you are reading non-fiction books about specific battles. For example, I am currently finishing Sears's book about Chancellorsville. It is useful to turn and find the visual depiction of who is where at a given time. The book itself has some maps of this nature, but not enough.

I notice that different writers describe various battles differently in places, and particularly ma
Darrell
Jun 27, 2014 Darrell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a treasure trove of information. I already knew much about the Civil War, but Shaara builds on that and gives great details. In the sections where he talks you through the grounds, he is open and honest about conditions of the sites and how to find them in easy to understand instruction. This may be of some interest to those who do not know anything on the subject as well as for those who do. Enjoy.
Robin (RBBR)
Oct 24, 2015 Robin (RBBR) marked it as own-but-not-read-yet  ·  review of another edition
I do plan to read this book. My husband and I bought it for his brother who was a huge Civil War buff and we were fortunate to tour several battlefields with him on the East Coast. After we bought the book at one of the gift shops I was reading aloud as we drove and actually found it quite interesting and joked about taking it back. I was told a very definite no. The sad part is I did get it back several months later. When we made the tour Robert Earl was in remission or at least the doctor's we ...more
Jim Davenport
Dec 04, 2014 Jim Davenport rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I stumbled upon this book while trying to locate a copy of The Last Full Measure. I remember sitting in Barnes and Nobles as I started reading the introduction and got into the first chapter. Tears began to roll down my eyes as I felt the passion and understood the reality of what actually happened during those horrifying battles of the Civil War between our own. Of course, I had read Gods and Generals and The Killer Angels, but I had somehow forgotten (in a way) that these events had really hap ...more
Karen K - Ohio
My husband and I listened to this book on a recent car trip. We were both captivated by the descriptions of these ten major battles. Each chapter is divided into three sections: What Happened Here, Why Is This Battle Important, and What You Should See. If you want to visit any of the battlefields this book is a great place to start.
Du
Aug 07, 2015 Du rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history-govt
Well researched overview of the Civil War with comprehensive, but not overwhelming reviews of various important battle sites. I enjoyed the complexity and research that is presented for each site and clearly the author has a passion for the sites as well as the Civil War itself.
John White
Jul 29, 2016 John White rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More of a guide book than anything else, but he helps to explain not only where these battlefields are, but what actually happened in them as well. A great book for the Civil War enthusiast.
Ben
Jan 19, 2013 Ben rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I almost sad at finishing this because this was the last Jeff Shara I hadn't read so now I need to wait until his next book about Vicksburg comes out to read more. This is the only nonfiction book that Shara has written but it was very enjoyable and his descriptions of the battles and the modern battlefields was just as touching as they are in his novels. In this book Shara describes a number of battlefields that he feels that every American should visit for one reason or another. He describes t ...more
Robert
Jan 21, 2016 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A nice pictorial journey through a few of the Civil War's key battlefields.
Susbp
Dec 12, 2015 Susbp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very informative and easy to read. Excellent to take on a trip to any of these battlefields, to review the battles that took place at the site. Also, the book provides useful tips for today's traveler, to make the most of a visit to the site.
David
Jul 23, 2011 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, audiobooks
Jeff Shaara has written a great companion book to the civil war trilogy that includes two of his novels and one of his father's. This book does two good things: It provides a chronological summary of the major battles at ten battlefields, which would be great as an overview either before or after reading his trilogy (or all by itself). In addition, as this is also a guide to the battlefields, he provided information to the would-be tourist of what to see when visiting these battlefields. Recomme ...more
Matt Sparling
Apr 26, 2016 Matt Sparling rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
David Coley
Jan 19, 2014 David Coley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book. Gives a great description of the battles, a northern aggression (my term) (ha) perspective, southern perspective, why the battle was important and what to see at the national park sites.
Chris
Jan 29, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written and good info, but not what I expected.
Jim Crotty
Oct 01, 2011 Jim Crotty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jeff Shaara provides a nice balance by effectively combining a very well researched narrative description of some of the most pivotal battles with a current day walking tour of the same ground where the battles were fought. It's a great book for those of us who are avid Civil War buffs yet don't have the time or patience to work through huge volumes of literary work that often become bogged-down in too many tactical details regarding the various engagements.
Hugh Henry
Jul 22, 2013 Hugh Henry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an absolute treasure for tourist historians. I learned new things about battlefields that I had visited multiple times. His knowledge is abundant and his prose very orderly and readable for everyone from the casual reader to the professional historian. He even includes contact information for each battlefield park headquarters. I listened to this book on tape, but I will have to buy it and use it next time I go hunting for hallowed ground.
Fernando E.
Apr 20, 2016 Fernando E. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book for serious civil war buffs, reenactors, and battlefield walkers. I've been to a few of these places, and now want to go back and "really" see them again for the first time!
George
Jan 27, 2014 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Another good reference book, if you're into civil war battlefields. It provides a history of each battle, it's significance and how you might want to see the battlefield today. Recommend the book for those who want a survey of several battlefields...read before you go.
Amy Nielsen
This was great! It really inspired me to learn more about the Civil War, one I've been interested in for a long time having spent time in that proximity as a girl and visited Gettysburg on field trips. I did get a little bogged down trying to keep the details straight as the author described each battle. But the warfare strategies, human errors, utter responsibility, devastation, magnitude of lives lost and sheer horror of this war overwhelmed me.
Sean Wylie
Nov 04, 2011 Sean Wylie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing book about 10 key civil war battle fields. I did not realize how little I knew about the civil war till reading this book. What a horrific time in world history. I was so intrigued by this book I am making a detour on my christmas trip to visit a battle field along our driving route. Must read for anyone interested in war history, american history, or needs a reminder of how close this country came to failure.
Ryan Elliott
Dec 19, 2013 Ryan Elliott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book to read to get a good summation of the civil war, what led up to it, what happened during it and the politics and background stories surrounding the war. Well written and informative, also serves as a good guide book for a number of the most important battle grounds to go visit.
Jen
May 24, 2011 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jeff-shaara
My friend and I call this book our battlefield bible. Thanks to Mr. Shaara we have found several out of the way sights we wouldn't have known to look for otherwise. It's a great book and way cheaper than hiring a battlefield guide!
  • Stealing the General: The Great Locomotive Chase and the First Medal of Honor
  • The Gettysburg Gospel: The Lincoln Speech That Nobody Knows
  • This Mighty Scourge: Perspectives on the Civil War
  • Gettysburg--Culp's Hill and Cemetery Hill
  • Fields of Honor: Pivotal Battles of the Civil War
  • Reading the Man: A Portrait of Robert E. Lee Through His Private Letters
  • Don't Know Much About the Civil War: Everything You Need to Know About America's Greatest Conflict but Never Learned
  • Lee
  • Gettysburg
  • The Twentieth Maine
  • Grant and Sherman: The Friendship That Won the Civil War
  • Gettysburg: A Testing of Courage
  • Never Call Retreat: Lee and Grant: The Final Victory (Gettysburg, #3)
  • Through Blood and Fire at Gettysburg: General Joshua L. Chamberlain and the 20th Maine
  • Pickett's Charge
  • Gettysburg: The Last Invasion
  • The Civil War: An Illustrated History
  • General James Longstreet: The Confederacy's Most Controversial Soldier
Jeff Shaara, a descendant of Italian immigrants, was born in New Brunswick, New Jersey ("Shaara" was originally spelled "Sciarra"). He grew up in Tallahassee, Florida, and graduated from Florida State University with a degree in Criminology. From age 16, Jeff operated a rare coin business, first out of his home, then in a retail store. After moving to Tampa, Jeff became one of the most widely know ...more
More about Jeff Shaara...