Start by marking “Plan B” as Want to Read:
Plan B

Plan B

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  1,631 ratings  ·  82 reviews
Coast through senior year. Graduate. Travel around Europe. Join boyfriend out East for college.

That's the plan. Then the phone rings.

Vanessa has the next year of her life pretty much figured out. Sure, there's some parental convincing to do but she and her celebrity-obsessed gal pal Taylor pretty much think their plan is airtight.

Then Vanessa's parents get a mysterious pho
Published March 7th 2006 by MTV Books (first published March 6th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Plan B, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plan B

Galini
**SPOILER ALERT**
This book was... fascinating. The story line was very interesting and catchy, plus very original. Finding out your brother is an infamous (and hot) TV star? That's my baby book.
But... I do seem to have a huge problem with it... which, sadly, resulted to giving it 3.6 stars:
The main character was so bloody annoying. First of all, she let her boyfriend take advantage of her, for... the s-word (yes, I'm pathetic for feeling awkward writing it), and when she ends up seeing him kissi
Jacob Proffitt
It's hard for me to place Plan B on the genre spectrum. It's YA, but with a couple elements that make me hesitate to recommend it to teen readers, including drug use and frank (though not detailed) sexual activity. I enjoyed the book, though, and can say that it's well-written and with one of the best unromances I've encountered.

The central theme for the book is Vanessa's need to control her environment and working to overcome her tendency to cling to plans that are overtaken by circumstances. F
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

Although I sometimes get irritated by the label of "chick lit" as a book genre, I'm going to be my own oxymoron and say that PLAN B by Jenny O'Connell is, indeed, teen chick lit. And that I also really liked the book, thoroughly enjoyed it, in fact, and can now no longer say "chick lit" with my previous snobbish sneer.

Vanessa has her life all planned out. All she has to do is survive the next nine months of senior year at the prestigious and private Cabot Acad
Karin
Typical high school chick lit book: boyfriend away at college, trying to get into college. The "movie star boyfriend" idea is interesting, but I find it hard to believe that his TV show would just give him a 9-month hiatus (needed to make the story plausible). No real surprises at all.

Also: they emphasize several times in the book that the narrator has well-chewed fingernails, yet the girl on the cover has a nice manicure. I was waiting and waiting for that to happen in the book but it never did
Faye
how would it feel if one day, your perfectly organized life would be disrupted by an unknown brother who also happens to be a star who seems to be popular because he manage to keep his life right on the wrong track fashionably?

that's how the story evolve and frankly, i think the plot was good, unique and refreshing but the fabulous boyfriend who turned-out-to-be-a-jerk routine is getting old and maybe it is essential to the story so that the sister who hates her teen star brother's guts would fi
Dee
Lyn
Vanessa has her senior year all planned out. She'll continue to get good grades, graduate second in her class, and be accepted to Yale University where her boyfriend will be in his sophomore year. She'll spend the summer bumming around Europe with her best friend. Life is good and getting better.

Or is it? An only child, Vanessa is shocked to learn that during a short separation from her mother, her dad fathered a baby with a world renowned actress. Their child is bad-boy sit-com star Reed Vaughn
Hannah
Cute book. I didnt really like the ending though... :/ I kind of wish there was a sequel. :)
Kyra
I enjoyed it, however, there was a lot of stuff that irked me. The main character was incredibly whiny and hypocritical. (view spoiler) Reed never seemed like this horrible guy that she made him out to be, he was so sweet to her when she found out about (view spoiler) and she just complained about everything.

However, it was a good storyline and I fle
Amy-beth
I really... wanted to like this book... But obviously I didn't. I love the name Vanessa! and was thrilled the main characters name was descent! (after reading the Selection with the name "America Singer" No offense to anyone who has that name!)

So In two days i finished Plan B on my kindle. The reason I picked it up (Besides being what i call a fluff book) my friend bought it at the bookstore over the weekend and we both decided to read it.

Wow... Vanessa... that's all I can say. I've never met a
Angieleigh
Meet Vanessa, normal child of two creative free spirits. She's about to embark on her senior year at Cabot, a private school that has classes such as Seminar in Women's Literature. She's already planned out how her year will go, what she will do, and that she will be accepted at Yale, the college her boyfriend, Patrick - never Pat - , is attending {maybe with some help from Vanessa}. Her best friend, Taylor is slightly {make that madly} obsessed with Hollywood, including Reed Vaughn, bad boy ext ...more
Alina
In Plan B, Vanessa has her life really planned out and presents herself to be a perfectionist and likes to have everything a certain way. Although, the conflict that she deals with is when she discovers that she has a half-brother who just so happens to be an extremely famous and successful actor who had lived in Hollywood. He enters her life and her family opens up their home to him so that he can finally attempt at a more normal and low-key life. However, Vanessa does not cope with this well a ...more
Julia
Plan B:
It Takes One Person to do a Whole Lot of Bad
One person ruined the whole plan. Everything got flipped upside down with one phone call. Plan B by Jenny O’Connell is realistic fiction set in Chicago,IL in present day. The two main characters are Vanessa and Reed. I give this book a four out of five stars because I really enjoyed it. Vanessa is in her senior year in high school and everything is going to be perfect. She just has to get through this year so she can soon be reunited with her b
Molly S
Plan B by Jenny O'Connell was a book about a senior in high school who has her whole life planned out for her. Vanessa has planned her dream college visits, prepared in every way possible for her SAT, turned in all her colloege applications, and even planned her summer after senior year. So when the impossible happens, Vanessa is in over her head. The week before her first day of school she finds out she has a brother who is going to be living with her for the year. If that's not crazy enough he ...more
Alessandra
I knew it was too good to be true. Only nine months. Forty weeks. Two hundred eighty-four days. If I wasn't so busy getting ready for the first day of my senior year, and I'd remember to buy the calculator required for my AP calculus class, I could have it down to the exact hour. The day I graduate from high school. Then a summer travelling around Europe with Taylor, where hopefully five years of conjugating French verbs would finally pay off.

The main character of Plan B by Jenny O' Connell, Van
Steph Su
Vanessa Carlisle--salutatorian, Yale prospie, and unacknowledged control freak--knows exactly how she wants her senior year of high school to go. She's going to breeze through, get accepted into Yale to be with boyfriend Patrick, and take a summer trip through Europe with her gossip-crazy best friend Taylor.

However, her family gets extremely unexpected news: it turns out that Vanessa has a half-brother, and not just ANY half-brother. She shares 50% of her chromosomes with the nationally known p
Juliana
This is the third book I've read by Jenny O'Connell and like the other two, I loved it. It's an easy read and it's believable.

I personally liked Plan B because although there is some romance in it, the main focus is on the sibling relationship of Vanessa and Reed. I loved the way their relationship grew from strangers that dislike each other greatly to siblings that are friends. And even in between, it was fun to read the fights and agreements that happen to any siblings.

Now, what I don't like a
Kricket
dear author,
how do you expect me to believe that the main character in this book is 2nd in her class and got accepted to yale when she uses the word "voraciously" incorrectly and also uses words such as "slunked" ? i just don't buy it.
love, kricket

aside from that? this is one of those teenage fantasy books where it turns out the main character (vanessa) has a secret half brother who is a famous tv star hottie, reed vaughn. of course, he is sent to move in with her family and attend her high sch
Emilie
If I were to describe this book with one word it would be: predictable.

Because that's what it is. There are no twists or turns that makes you go "WHAT?" or "HUH?!" or "WTF?!" Everything worked out just the way you thought it would. Every character served a purpose, and as soon as they made their entrance, you knew what part they would later play. No surprises whatsoever.

But maybe in this case, those twists weren't necessary. Maybe it was okay that this book was a simple, predictable book. Not ev
Samantha Mccoy
I had chosen this book from the hundreds on the book shelves at the library (mainly because the protagonist) has my name but *yawn* she wasn't that exciting. Why she didn't have to apologize to Reed after he accused her of being a control freak and being interested in another guy annoyed me..I mean, he apologized for what he did in LA, why not her? Vanessa was just to..ugh about Reed being in her life as though this one person who is just a freaking sibling was turning her world upside down as t ...more
Aimee (Coffee Table Reviews)
This was a good story. I didn't really know what I was getting into, I had read The Book of Luke first and decided to get this one, even without really knowing what the premise was. I wasn't disappointed.

I found myself glued to the pages for the most part. Neither Vanessa or Reed were happy with the situation and both would have rather things stayed the same instead of change.

Vanessa seems to have hit lots of problems in this book. Not only does she have a half brother who is coming to stay with
Megan Perry
It was super predictable from the very beginning, but the story line was cute enough to keep me entertained. I got through it without getting bored, due to O'Connell's style, but it isn't something I would read more than once
Cassie
Reed Vaughn is a movie star while Vanessa is just a normal girl with a plan to make it through her senior year. When Vanessa finds out that Reed Vaughn, the movie star, is actually her half brother and is going to be living with her for her senior year, all her plans begin to break apart and all that's left seems to be the pieces of Vanessa's life.

I really enjoyed this book and thought it was an easy, quick, and entertaining read. I thought the book was written well but I didn't care much for t
Jessica Pierce
A book for all ages.

A book for all ages.

I loved this book so much I plan to donate it to my daughter's school which is a private school.
Kayla
I read Plan B a few years ago and loved it. Sure it's a fluffy "chick-lit" book for teens but it's a great story. So many topics are addressed in it including the trials and joys of having a sibling, the stress over college, total family shock, loss and love. Plan B did a great job of addressing all of these topics and kind of had me hoping I'd get a call that some Hollywood "It" boy was my half-brother!

One part of Plan B sticks out to me and that's Vanessa's choice to wait to receive the letter
Donna Selina Bravo
The book held some premise, but Vanessa got on my nerves for the most part of the book. She whines a lot, she's more of a brat than her superstar brother.
Aleia
I can relate to this. I also have step brother. My father's love child. I haven't met him though. and hopefully he wont be that famous.

anyway, the story is good. beyond good actually. its just i want to know what happened next. did she go to Yale? or other ivy? what happened to their Europe tour? that's what i looked for in the beginning to be honest. what happened to her and John? so her relationship with patrick just ended that way?

so many questions huh?

anyway its a good book nonetheless. cute
Tina
3.5 stars - This was a fun, fast, entertaining read. Vanessa was a little annoying at times, but then I remembered that I'd been in similar situations and as a teen, reacted pretty similar to how she did. She was realistic and sometimes snotty. I enjoyed her relationship with her new brother Reed. It was fun to follow the building of their relationship.

Plot 3 stars
Drama/Romance ratio 80:20
Ending 4 stars
Good enough to pick up
Megan
Cute, frivolous, and predictable, with not much depth but a lot of happy wish fulfillment that barely touched the possibilities for conflicts. I did quite like the characters, though, and I think O'Connell had a good grasp of the high school dynamics. I loved the passage where Vanessa pointed out how the entire world could comprehend and understand athletic competition, but the more subjective world of other kinds of achievements were underestimated and confusing and complicated.
  • Waking Up to Boys
  • Smart Boys & Fast Girls (The Girlfriend's Guide to Boys, #4)
  • Life as a Poser (The 310, #1)
  • Lost Summer
  • The Pursuit of Happiness
  • Cruel Summer (Fast Girls, Hot Boys, #1)
  • Sticky Fingers
  • Lost It
  • Heartbreak River
  • Wish You Were Here
  • The Lost Summer
Published chick-lit under the name Jennifer O'Connell.

I haven't been called Jenny in years (thankfully), but I thought it was fitting to publish my teen book under the name that still makes me think of high school.

My high school days may be long behind me, but I have a lot in common with Vanessa, the main character in PLAN B. Like Vanessa, I also went to a small private school. I was also mildly o
More about Jenny O'Connell...
The Book of Luke Rich Boys (Island Summer, #2) Local Girls (Island Summer, #1)

“Sometimes change was good. Sometimes it was even exactly what you needed.” 42 likes
“I knew he was a prick, but a part of me wanted to hear what he'd say, to hear him say how sorry he really was that he'd screwed up. I wanted groveling for forgiveness and pledges of undying love. As dumb as I knew it was, I wanted him to fight for me, to prove that I hadn't made a mistake by believing in him. Or us.” 18 likes