Start by marking “Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed ” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Five Little Monkeys Ju...

Eileen Christelow

Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed (Five Little Monkeys)

4.09  ·  Rating Details ·  24,957 Ratings  ·  503 Reviews
Five little monkeys wake up with the sun. Today is their mama's birthday and they are going to bake a cake. They'll have to measure the flour and mix in the right number of eggs, and get it all into the oven in time for the birthday surprise--without waking up Mama! Eileen Christelow has created an original, high-energy romp, sure to delight any child who has tried to plan ...more
Audio, 0 pages
Published November 1st 2009 by Findaway World (first published March 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed

Melissa  I
Feb 01, 2016 Melissa I rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every single parent for every single kid
Recommended to Melissa by: Stumbled upon it in a store years ago
Shelves: favorites
OMG!! This book just showed up on my home feed as a recommendation. How could I possibly have forgotten the million times I read this with my daughters when they were still little ones. My precious and beautiful daughters and I read this all. The. Time. And they made me laugh & smile more than any other book ever did. We adored this and read it out loud with such fun. I'm totally crying as I've been going down memory lane for months, trying to come to grips with the fact that they're grown a ...more
Chelsie Morrison
Sep 09, 2012 Chelsie Morrison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I can still hear the singing rhyme of the Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed as sung by my mother when I was a little Girl. Eileen Christelow brings this rhyme to life in the picture book retelling of this classic story. Five little monkeys climb into bed after saying goodnight to their mother. Not quite ready to fall asleep, the five monkeys jump on the bed until "one fell off and bumped his head." The monkeys' doctor leaves them with the instruction: "No more monkeys jumping on the bed!" A ...more
Courtney
Jun 15, 2016 Courtney rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Obviously perfect for toddlers
Emily
Dec 31, 2016 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I've need books to finish my Goodreads challenge. I was panicking until I realized I have read a lot more books than I'm giving myself credit for... they're just written for 2 year olds. Ahh the perks of having a little brother ;)
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
This is a very cute, sing-song kind of book, one of a series of "Five Little Monkeys". It's funny, because I remember the counting song we used to sing in high school, "There were five in the bed and the little one said, 'Roll over, roll over.' So they all rolled over and one fell out, he hit the floor and his guts fell out. Please remember, to tie a knot in your pyjamas. Single beds are only made for four in the bed and the little one said..." and so on. This isn't the same song, obviously.

It
June
Feb 01, 2012 June rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Librarians, parents, preschoolers and teachers
A regular go to book for monkey and sick story times. Then everyone sings the song afterwards. (SLB Great Big Hits or Literacy in Motion or Wee Sing Children's Songs for Lap Time.)

The classic song in picture book format with a surprise twist at the end. (One parent gaffawed.) 2/1/12

Used in Lap Time and PJ Story Time and it was a huge hit at both. 12/22/14

Used in lap time and all the grown-ups joined in. Got another guffaw from a caregiver at the ending. (Don't use song on 1 Elephant) 12/8/14

Used
Molly
Dec 05, 2016 Molly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the classic rhyme in picture book form. Kids love to shout, "No more monkeys jumping on the bed!" along with me. It is always fun to use in storytime.
Clare
Oct 15, 2013 Clare rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Five little monkeys jumping on the bed is an appropriate cross curricular book for EYFS, SEN, EAL and lower ks1. The book is about five little monkeys jumping on the bed; one by one they fall off and bump their heads.
The book uses humour, repetition and rhyme to engage the reader. The simplicity and repetition makes this a fantastic book for early mathematics learners as well as a possible starting point for poem writing and learning how to use rhyme.
The animation supports the literature making
Christine
At first this one elicited from my toddler a resounding "no" accompanied by a vigorous head shake and a forced closure of the book mid sentence, but after a few tries, it's become a new favorite. Depending on his mood, he will sometimes act out the books "no"'s with a head shake and finger wag and reach for his head (or mine or my husband's) when the monkeys bump their head. Such a fun book for us right now!
Teressa
I've sung the song to my daughter but it didn't really hold her attention (maybe it's because my singing voice leaves much to be desired) but she was fascinated by this book and the illustrations are very well done.
Alex Moskalyuk
Oct 30, 2015 Alex Moskalyuk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Both sleeping arrangements and lack of accident prevention are questionable and will probably raise some eyebrows over at Child Protective Services. Doctor's advice though is pretty consistent, which teaches the value of high-quality healthcare.
Juli19
Oct 07, 2015 Juli19 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. It teaches young children to count up to five and backwards. There is also a song for this story and children love to sing and dance.I think children will enjoy reading the book. It has nice pictures and the repetition in the book will help them learn their numbers.
Christopher Guinto
I really liked the book. The book was about 5 little stubborn monkeys. I would recommenced this book to anyone.
Anthony Mancia
Oct 14, 2015 Anthony Mancia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think it was a amazing book i feel like it teaching kid not to jump on a bed is a nice book
and i love it when i was a kid reading it again felt pretty good i recommend it to my little brother
Jason
Oct 15, 2013 Jason rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Those goddamn monkeys. I hate this story.
Felicia Moore
Jan 05, 2016 Felicia Moore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
read it to baby Elizabeth :D
Inspired Kathy
Sep 03, 2008 Inspired Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic song put into book form. My kids enjoy this song/story.
Shana Karnes
Jun 30, 2016 Shana Karnes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-ruthie
I like to get a little sassy while reading this book to Ruth.
Kimberly
I think Mama Monkey needs to work on her follow-through.
Gabriella Pugliese
Oct 26, 2016 Gabriella Pugliese rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: song-books
1. This book has not received any awards.

2. This book is recommended for grades preschool and kindergarten.

3. In this fun song book, five little monkeys are sent to bed. After they go to bed, they begin to fall off one by one. As each of the monkeys injure themselves, their mother has to call the doctor.

4. This book can be considered a go-to in the preschool/kindergarten classroom. It's a great book that comes along with a great song that children are sure to remember from when they begin to
Maria
Oct 26, 2016 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: song
1. There is no real age range. This is a childhood favorite.
2. Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed is a childhood classic. The colorful and engaging illustrations help grab the children attention as they too sing along to the words. The children have many laughs during this book.
3. Many young readers learn to read book like these due to the constant repetition and tone the book is read/sang in. I remember my mother singing this book to me. It includes counting and repetition, the perfection c
Mattie Troyer
Dec 05, 2016 Mattie Troyer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who was ever told not to jump on the bed as a child? I certainly was! This book makes it possible to learn from the monkey's mistakes instead of making them yourself. This book flows really well, I like that it is repetitive. This will make it easy for young kids to try and guess about what will happen next. This is a good book to read to the class and make them feel involved with the story. You can also use this story as a story-telling book and tell it to your class. I can imagine a lot of fun ...more
Emily Henderson
Feb 22, 2017 Emily Henderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: el-230
The story of Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed is one that many adult know by heart. I love this story, and the way it can also be sung. I enjoy that this book has a counting element to it as well. It would be fun to have them read and count the monkey on the pages as well. With that being said, the illustrations in this book are phenomenal. They are a lot of fun, and something kids would enjoy looking at. Young readers will be able to memorize this book, and read or sing along. This stor ...more
Abby Stever
Feb 21, 2017 Abby Stever rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: el-230
My mother would read this story to my sisters and I years ago. I have always enjoyed this book, as it is a purposeful children's book. This story could be used in an elementary classroom to show the importance of listening to your elders. For example, the little monkeys did not listen to their mother and all ended up getting hurt. The intended audience for this book would be young elementary-aged children.
Lexie Haarsma
Feb 08, 2017 Lexie Haarsma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed is a counting story that tells the tale of five monkeys who are jumping on their bed and fall off one by one. It is a familiar story as most people know the nursery rhyme song that goes along with it. The illustrations are unique. They look not too "perfected". This can be an introductory lesson of the concept of counting backwards for children.
ColleenaMareena
Feb 24, 2017 ColleenaMareena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute version of the classic rhyme. The soft colored pencil illustrations are sweet, I love that 2 of the monkeys are girls, and the increasingly exasperated doctor's expressions give me life. My kids ask for this book almost every day!
Caitlin Olson
Feb 21, 2017 Caitlin Olson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: el230
This book was really cute. I think it is more for younger grades. This book has a few lessons that could be taught with it. One is counting. The counting could be taught with the actual number as well as the amount of monkeys.
Abby Yoder
Dec 04, 2016 Abby Yoder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books ever when I was little and now when I read it to little kids they love it just as much because of how fun the book is to read.
Michaelle Herrera
All parents should have this on their toddler's bookshelf. Especially if you are like me and get enthusiastic, haha. Both my girls love this one and they are just 1 and 2 years old.
Julie
Jan 31, 2017 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-library
Owen's favorite!
  • If You're Happy and You Know It!
  • The Seals on the Bus
  • Hey! Wake Up!
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly
  • Dinosaur Roar!
  • Little Gorilla

Five Little Monkeys (10 books)
  • Five Little Monkeys Sitting in a Tree