Start by marking “The Hotel Cat” as Want to Read:
The Hotel Cat

The Hotel Cat (The Cat Club)

One wintry day a lonely stray cat wandered into the Royal Hotel. He chased mice so well that he was given the job of Hotel Cat. Tired of always spending time in the cellar Tom ventured upstairs and met the gentle Mrs. Wilkins, a longtime hotel resident who had the ability to communicate with cats. She encouraged Tom to keep an open mind about the hotel guests.

One night, du
Published September 30th 2005 by NYR Children's Collection (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about The Hotel Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hotel Cat

Jan
Mar 04, 2016 Jan rated it it was amazing
This is one of Averill’s popular Cat Club books and was one of my daughter’s favorites growing up. So I decided to give it a re-read for old time’s sake. My daughter loaned me her 20 year old copy telling me to “be careful, mom…it’s a very old special book.” So I gingerly made my way through the sweet story of how Tom finds a home in the Royal Hotel in NYC and becomes the official Hotel Cat. He decides that his night job at the hotel is to make all the other visiting cats feel at home during the ...more
Mindy
Feb 20, 2014 Mindy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
This is the last book in the Jenny's Cat Club series.
There are a few children's books that I think are a real treasure and privilege to own. The Jenny Linsky series are some of those books. Although not as well known as Peter Rabbit or Winnie the Pooh, Jenny Linsky and her cat club friends rank as highly as these characters In my opinion.
Dusk Peterson
I'd dearly like to direct all cat vidders, cat giffers, and cat tweeters to this series.
Sarah Sammis
Feb 02, 2008 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: borrowed
Becky
Jun 29, 2014 Becky rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014reviews
The Hotel Cat is an enjoyable children's novel by Esther Averill. It was originally published in 1969.

The Hotel Cat stars a cat named Tom. He lives at the Royal Hotel, an eight-story building in New York. It is on the older side. And the hotel isn't doing the best business. But all that happens to change during the novel. Tom who is used to having the place to himself, for the most part, at least in terms of CATS ON THE PLACE discovers that there are cats there with their owners. The first few
Karen
Jun 24, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-ya
I don't know how I missed this series back in the day when I was reading to my kids. Now I want to read them all. I loved the old fashioned look of the physical book and the dusty bygone era feel of the story. Tom is grateful to be taken in off the streets as the Hotel Cat (mouser) in the basement of the formerly glorious Royal Hotel. But when curiosity sends him poking around upstairs he meets the elderly, and dignified Mrs. Wilkens, a long time resident of the hotel, who gently teaches him to ...more
Nancy
J: It was sort of like a sequel to The Fire Cat (my note: also by Averill and much beloved at our house) The cat character isn't the same character, but it is about a cat, Tom, who becomes a hotel cat, just like The Fire Cat is a book about a cat becoming a firehouse cat.

It is the duty of a hotel cat to chase away rats and welcome new cat arrivals and patrol the halls at night.

One of my favorite parts is when the cat club comes to Tom's hotel, The Royal Hotel. He has a lot of welcoming to do. Th
Jane
Jan 14, 2013 Jane rated it really liked it
"The Hotel Cat" is another charming children's read in a similar vein to Paul Gallico's cat books (although Gallico is somewhat more heartrending) and Barbara Sleigh's Carbonel series. This series is set in New York; a homeless stray finds employment and kind human beings at the Royal Hotel. More than that, he makes friends among the many cats staying at the hotel; there's a nice message, without being preachy, about friendship in this book. For fans of vintage children's fiction, it's worth add ...more
Kristine Hansen
Mar 29, 2014 Kristine Hansen rated it it was amazing
It's a hard thing to be a hotel cat - you have to not only be practical in getting tasks done, but courteous to your guests. Here a young cat comes into his own when the Cat Club comes to stay at his hotel.

I'd not read this one before and enjoyed it immensely. Perhaps of all the books, this one showed the most growing up of a young cat, yet was still enjoyable, especially with a better glimpse of the people in this world. Awesome book!
Sue
May 30, 2015 Sue rated it it was amazing
Why did I not discover this author and her entertaining books about the Cat Club when my children were young? This is a delightful book about a group of cats, all with their own personalities, ending up being sheltered in an old hotel and served by the "Hotel Cat." Tom learns some lessons in making others feel at home along with making new friends.
Kyu
Jun 13, 2010 Kyu rated it it was amazing
I've been getting a kick out of revisiting my old childhood favorites lately. I almost enjoyed reading this as much as I did when I was much younger. I didn't even know there were more books in this series! I just may read those too.
Logan
Sep 27, 2009 Logan rated it really liked it
Shelves: cat-related, own
Another book about shy Jenny Linsky and the Cat Club. In this one, they stay at an old NY hotel where they meet and befriend Tom, the Hotel Cat. Logan's favorite part was the big, formal Stardust Ball for cats, where they danced the hornpipe.
Clara Ellen
This was the first chapter book my youngest ever read..we had enjoyed it as a read-aloud and then she wanted to read it on her own. What a lovely story to be one's first chapter book reading experience!
Jeanette
This was another cute read-a-loud. My kids were very happy to listen to another story with all their favorite cats from Jenny and the Cat Club and to meet a new cat character.
I think I enjoyed Jenny and the Cat Club more than this one but it was still a fun book to read.
Cloudia
Mar 17, 2014 Cloudia rated it really liked it
Okay story. An easy read for a 13 year old. Only took me 2 hours. Well written using amazing grammar.
Craig
Apr 05, 2013 Craig rated it it was amazing
My daughter and I have enjoyed this book so much. We are reading the whole series.
Luke
Dec 14, 2016 Luke rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
My son loves the whole series of Esther Averill's Jenny books. We've read through all of the NYRB reissues at least 4 times now. Totally a hit!
Lindsay
Mar 02, 2015 Lindsay rated it liked it
Shelves: preschool-read
Chapters are 10-15 pages. I didn't read this to Andrew, because it seemed to have insufficient action to keep him interested.
Siah
Dec 27, 2010 Siah rated it it was amazing
Ada and I both enjoyed this book. I had never heard of it and picked it up from the library by chance.
Kaethe
I like that the cats don't behave exactly like humans, although they do a little bit.
Kathryn
May 10, 2009 Kathryn marked it as to-read
at the library
Mary
Oct 20, 2011 Mary rated it it was amazing
Must have been written by a cat lover. Great cat details. Fun read.
Amy Wishman Nalan
Apr 10, 2015 Amy Wishman Nalan rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-a-louds
Another delightful read aloud. These books are treasures.
After
Jun 11, 2008 After added it
The whole series is recommended.
Beth Butler
Oct 08, 2009 Beth Butler rated it liked it
I am rereading some of the books I read in elementary school. This was enjoyable although not a favorite either now or then.
Katie
Dec 10, 2014 Katie rated it liked it
Another book from my childhood.
Boqueronbecky
Dec 21, 2011 Boqueronbecky rated it it was amazing
I loved it! It was one of my favorite books as a child.
Susan E
Mar 03, 2009 Susan E rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-max
More about our favorite little black cat!
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2013
Vanessa
Vanessa rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2013
  • The Kingdom of Carbonel (Carbonel #2)
  • Betsy and Billy
  • The Man Who Lost His Head (Picture Puffins)
  • Things Will Never Be the Same (26 Fairmount Avenue, #5)
  • The Cats of Roxville Station
  • Angus and the Cat
  • Thomasina
  • Little Bo
  • The Town Cats and Other Tales
  • The Legend of Sleeping Bear
  • Wolf Story
  • Mouse and Mole, Fine Feathered Friends (A Mouse and Mole Story)
  • The Little Broomstick
  • The Nine Lives of Aristotle
  • Mightier Than the Sword: World Folktales for Strong Boys
  • Dorrie's Magic (Dorrie the Little Witch, #1)
  • April's Kittens
  • To Be A Cat
Esther Averill (1902-1992) began her career as a storyteller drawing cartoons for her local newspaper. After graduating from Vassar College in 1923, she moved first to New York City and then to Paris, where she founded her own publishing company. The Domino Press introduced American readers to artists from all over the world, including Feodor Rojankovsky, who later won a Caldecott Award. In 1941, ...more
More about Esther Averill...

The Cat Club (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • The Cat Club
  • The School for Cats
  • Jenny's First Party
  • Jenny's Moonlight Adventure (New York Review Children's Collection)
  • When Jenny Lost Her Scarf