Dead of Night

Dead of Night (Doc Ford Mystery #12)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  853 ratings  ·  43 reviews
New York Times bestselling author "Randy Wayne White spins another terrific Florida tale"* in this thriller of bio-terror and extreme revenge. It starts with a simple request: check up on the mysteriously reclusive biologist brother of an old friend. But what Doc Ford stumbles upon in the doctor's secluded island home is a nightmare. He has hanged himself--and his body is...more
Published March 7th 2006 by Berkley Books (first published March 17th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Dead of Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead of Night

Joyce
This may have been the creepiest Doc West novel yet. There are villains who are putting horrible creatures into the waterways of Florida and appalling deaths in which parasites are attempting to escape from the remains. Doc reverts back to his previous life as a Government agent and has no problem with dealing with these villains. His son and Tomlinson are also primary protagonists in this tale. Don't start this unless you plan to stay up late to finish it.
Derek Dowell
If you’ve been looking for a worthy successor to John D. MacDonald’s classic series of books featuring boat bum and knight errant, Travis McGee, Randy Wayne White’s Marion “Doc” Ford books are about as close as you’re going to get to recreating the experience. Dead of Night is the 12th Doc Ford book. Some have been spectacular. Some have been a little better than okay, but the same could have been said for McGee. Even when he’s not at the top of his game, Mr. White is better than most.

In my humb...more
Scott Rhee
Randy Wayne White's "Doc Ford" series is a treat for those who like fun, action-filled crime thrillers. White's protagonist, Ford, is a marine biologist who also happens to be a retired CIA assassin (although he's not really retired). Imagine a cross between Indiana Jones and James Bond, with a lot of Travis Macgee thrown in. White sets his books in the Florida Everglades and the Keys, where Ford lives and works, along with his nutty hippy neighbor/friend, Tomlinson, and his computer-whiz son, L...more
Ann
This was a good book. It had some parts that were kind of bogged down by scientific theory but the mystery is well written and the plot moves right along. Dr. Marion "Doc" Ford is a scientist in Florida but he also has a mysterious second position as a covert operative for a secret organization. He is called by a friend, Freida Matthews,and asked to leave his home and travel inland to check on her twin brother, Dr. Jobe Applebee, a reclusive biologist who suffers from Asperger's Syndrome. When h...more
Kristin
Stayed up until 4am to finish this book, not because it was great but because it was so dry, I worried that if I stopped, I might not get motivated to pick it up again. The summary on the jacket seems interesting enough, in that a biologist, Doc Ford, is asked to meet with a fellow biologist who shares a mutual interest in research topics, but when he arrives, Ford finds the man dead and the body infested with tropical parasites not native to their Florida environment.
If the author would have st...more
David Ward
Dead of Night by Randy Wayne White (G.P. Putnam's Sons 2005)(fiction - mystery) is another great novel in the spirit and genre of John D. MacDonald's Travis McGee series. In this installment, White's hero Marion "Doc" Ford, marine biologist/CIA operative must attempt to save all of South Florida from bioterrorists who are attempting to empty the southern half of the state of citizens by introducing the "Guinea worm" into the water supply from Orlando/Kissimmee southward. As always, the book is f...more
Giesela1000
I really liked most of the Dr. Ford books I've read, the earlier ones I suppose.
But I didn't finish the last one (sorry, can't remember the title).
And I'm not finishing this one either. Weirdo eco terrorists....whatever, really straying into desperate territory with Dr. Ford who is now some sort govt scientist version of Jason Bourne.
As if corporate greed and overdevelopment weren't much bigger threats to the Florida ecosystem.
I read his books because I liked learning about the FL water ways...more
Ronald Wise
My initial introduction to Doc Marion Ford, who has starred in about a dozen of White's novels. In real life White is an extensive traveler and researcher of environmental issues, and much of his resulting knowledge is woven into the fabric of this book. So I learned a great deal about the ecosystem of southern Florida, but was disappointed with the level of intrigue in the tale. And in response to the evil being done by the bad guys, the response by the good guys did not seem appropriate in thi...more
Anne
Easily up to the usual high standard of the Doc Ford series.
Aggie
parasites using human bodies as hosts..no thanks! had to put this one down, it was way too creepy for me even though I do like horror. I know this author's got a big following, I'm not one of them. This story takes place in Florida, a scientist/detective is on the trail of these evil bio terrorists who are importing exotic creepy crawlers, yuck.. good luck if you like that stuff. I liked how he describes Florida and it could be an interesting story if you can handle disgusting creatures crawling...more
Judy
Picked this up at DOC FORD's Restaurant on Sandibel Island during a trip to Everglades and Gulf Coast - it was fun reading after visiting so many of the places in the story which gave me a real feel for the locations. Also a very interesting storyline. While there are MANY possible ways to wreck havoc on society - this one is very believeable and scary. The story is fiction but the author does his homework in the way of research. Not much in the way of character developement though . . . . .
Carol
Once again another excellent Doc Ford book. The usual fast paced action mixed with quirky characters makes for a very enjoyable book. Doc is going through quite a bit of personal strife and a couple of mad Russians are a needed distraction. Tomlinson's ethical contortions about becoming a capitalist are hilarious and I enjoyed Doc's sly, funny handling of his friend's dilemma. Goes without saying that this is another excellent instalment in the series.
Phair
Eeek! This one has to do with deadly reptiles & scorpions & bugs & a lot of violent psychopathic types. There is also a lot involving Doc's covert past- he's back in the game here using his old skills. Wonderful feeling of family at Dinkins Bay plus great info on sharks, Florida's aquasystem and more than you want to know about guinea worms. And Tomlinson is especially fun. One of the better Doc Ford books.
Doug Naquin
Listened to this on CD on the way down and back to Charlottesville from DC. Not a bad way to pass the 3-hour drive each way. This time Doc Ford and alter ego Tomlinson foil a scheme to use insects and poisonous animals to wreak havoc in US. Just like the worms in the book, the story gets under your skin. Doc Ford is still pretty cool.
Mary Sue
Jul 25, 2007 Mary Sue rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
Doc Ford is one of my favorite characters. He is a very serious marine biologist with a coloful, secretive past. He is surrounded by an amusing cast of live-a-boards at the marina on Sanibel Island where he lives and works. Some of his novels are funny, many are quite violent and all are serious about preservation of the ecco system.
Emily Higgins
Dr. Ford becomes involved in an investigation that involves Eco-terrorism. This book has less of the life-style of the Dinkins Bay inhabitants and a lot more of the really frightening bad guys than other books written by Randy Wayne White. That said, it is a well-written novel with a clear environmental message.
Marty Durham
didn't like this one as much as others in series. choppy storytelling and didn't like the style of forshadowing - jumped around more than I enjoy and left connections to other books dangling. I like a book that stands alone in case I forget things from the other books
Rick Hollis
The Doc Ford books are wonderful change of pace from the usual mystery. There is Doc and is his friends, and Florida, with its weather and critters. I found this one a disappointment. There was not much of FL in the book, and the plot seemed a bit farfetched.
Maria
It was exciting. There were some parts I didn't like, but it was overall a good book. The story kept me hooked (fish joke!). I will be looking for other books by the author. I didn't enjoy the snakes or worms (ewewewewewew), but it made the story a little more unique.
Andrea Rivera
It had been a few years since I read a Doc Ford novel, and I missed it tremendously! This book had me hooked and I stayed up way too late seeing how it would end. Can't wait to catch up with Doc and Tomlinson soon.
not why sure I like this series so much. Entertaining, but not distinguishly so... okay, I have minor crushes on Doc Ford and Tomlinson. In a strange Freddie Mercury kinda way ;)
Christian
This book must be the worst out of the whole series. The plot is almost non existent and RWW can't make me feel connected with any of his characters. Even Thomlinson isn't funny.
Dad
Typical Doc. Ford novel. Action was very good. All the info on the illegal reptile trade and the FL ecology system was interesting, but too detailed for me.
John
I love the Doc Ford series, particularly the first several books. But Dead of Night was a positive standout amongst his more recent works.
Jean
Of all the writers for this genre (mindless reads), White is my favorite. He tells a good story- I supposed it helps I live in Florida!
Dena
Took me awhile to finish this one- very interesting book by RWW, although not my favorite. On to Twelve Mile Limit....
Steve
Perhaps my least favorite Doc Ford book. Some real gruesome imagery and the ending left me unsatisfied.
Tom Dvorske
The one about the reclusive biologist friend, the Russians, and the bio-terrorist who lives in the caribbean.
Gail
Another great book in the Doc Ford series. I learned even more interesting facts about Florida.
Krista
This was much better than "Heat Islands". Any book with a candiru in it is worth reading.
  • Key West Connection
  • The Mango Opera
  • Blackwater Sound (Thorn, #7)
  • Torpedo Juice (Serge Storms, #7)
  • Put A Lid On It
  • Under the Color of Law (Kevin Kerney, #6)
  • Counterplay (Butch Karp, #18)
  • A Purple Place for Dying (Travis McGee #3)
  • Trophy Hunt (Joe Pickett, #4)
  • Killer Weekend (Walt Fleming, #1)
  • Sunset Limited (Dave Robicheaux, #10)
  • The Silent Hour (Lincoln Perry Series #4)
  • Mounting Fears (Will Lee, #7)
  • Trap Line
  • The Guilty (Henry Parker, #2)
aka Carl Ramm, Randy Striker

Randy Wayne White (born 1950) is an American writer of crime fiction and non-fiction adventure tales. He has written best-selling novels and has received awards for his fiction and a television documentary. He is best known for his series of crime novels featuring the retired NSA agent Doc Ford, a marine biologist living on the Gulf Coast of southern Florida. White has...more
More about Randy Wayne White...
Sanibel Flats (Doc Ford, #1) Deep Shadow (Doc Ford, #17) Captiva The Heat Islands (Doc Ford, #2) Ten Thousand Islands