Start by marking “The Snowflake” as Want to Read:
The Snowflake

The Snowflake

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  172 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Snowflakes may be an everyday, common subject, but youve never seen them like this! A collection of amazing photography of snow crystals using a unique system designed to take super-detailed micro images of these miniature ice masterpieces, "The Snowflake" is an extraordinary look at a seemingly ordinary object. Author Kenneth Libbrecht, a physics professor at Caltech and ...more
Published November 17th 2003 by Voyageur Press (first published September 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Snowflake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Snowflake

Carol
What an excellent book! First the photographs are amazing. The photos are beautiful, each one so unique. The snowflake is truly a temporary work of art. In order to capture these images, the photographer had to quickly photograph each individual snowflake as it fell in seconds. A fallen snowflake starts to lose it's it's shape in seconds. (Actually "snow crystal" is the term for snowflake.) A snow crystal refers to a single crystal of ice. Snowflakes are a mystery due to their complex and symmet ...more
Julia
This is an incredible book; Kenneth Libbrecht is a professor of physics at Cal Tech, and his close-up color photographs of snowflakes is truly miraculous. I've given away several copies of this book and cannot recommend it highly enough. His work was even honored on a stamp (back when they were 39 cents).

The website to see more of these breathtaking images is: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~atomic/sn...

And many of his snowflake books and products can be found at http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n
Bill Kubeck
Mind-boggling. I knew a lot about snowflake physics, but this book increased that by 5 or 10 times at least. And the photography is beautiful beyond my ability to describe. You must read this book
Elizabeth
The weather has inspired me to read snow-related books, so I’ve been reading this one and The Snow Tourist at the same time. According to The Snow Tourist, the author of The Snowflake, Kenneth Libbrecht, is actually the foremost snow scholar of our time, following in the footsteps of Wilson Bentley (who first photographed snowflakes) and Ukichiro Nakaya (who first made artificial snowflakes so he could study them).

I didn’t realize until about 30 or so pages in that the author was a scientist (ac
Avery
I think it's a good book-- but it's more of something to put on your coffee table, or something you have just to look at the pretty pictures. It's more like a little kids book than an informative one.
Shaxar
A very interesting read! I've always loved snow and thought snowflakes were so beautiful, and it was fascinating to look at some of the science behind how those amazing little crystals are formed. And the photography here was just fantastic! <3 I'm very glad I picked up this book.
Faith Hough
I shared the photographs and bits of text with my daughters as an expansion on the picture book about snow that we read, then read the whole book for myself. I really enjoyed it! (And the photos are breathtaking.)
Lucy Park
사실, 이과생이라고 글을 못써도 된다는 건 정말이지 '천만의 말씀'이다.

원문이 아니라서 그런지 글 자체가 그렇게 감명을 주고 마음을 울리게 하는 정도는 아니지만 (요새는 매우 뛰어난 번역본들도 많이 나오는데 이 책은 그에 해당된다고 하기는 어려울 듯 하다)
분명 다듬어지지 않은 유리구슬과 같은 아름다운 표현들이 너무도 많다.

지은이는 자신의 연구가 인류에의 공헌을 위한 것이 아니라
정말 단순한 지적 호기심에 따른 연구란다.

그런데 사실 따지고 보면, reverse causation과도 같은 문제이다.
진정한 혁신은 보이지 않는 곳에서 나오는 경우가 많은데, 그래서 오히려 이런 연구가 더 큰 파장을 몰고 올 수 있다.

다양성을 요한다.
내가 원하는 것을 하고 내가 하고 싶은 일을 하며 내가 바라는 대로 사는 삶을 살기 위해서는.
Zuzana
A *wonderful* book! You'll never look at snow the same way. It not only shows you fantastic detailed photographs that reveal the beauty of different snowflake structures, it also explains all about how snowflakes are created, what conditions how they look, why every snowflake is different, even why snow is white! Very very cool indeed. Literally and figuratively.
Jon Terry
a great mix of the physics behind snowflakes and their beauty. it's full of pictures using state-of-the-art photography of individual flakes. the author is a physics professor that actually specializes in snowflake research. it was fascinating to learn just how they're made, which in turn made them even more beautiful.
Melissa
dan got me this book for christmas. the photographs are amazing and the text is SO interesting. it's an in depth look at how snowflakes become snowflakes. the man is a physicist and has researched them for years! i didn't know there was so much to know about them. it made me want to go on a snowy vacation. i really liked it.
Darleen
Snowflakes snowflakes snowflakes....
have you ever stopped to consider one??
next time it does snow just take a few min's to check one out.
i've been known to lay there for hour's freezin, just lookin and lookin and lookin....
( and yes i DO know that i am CRAZY, but that is why you love me. )
Dottie
While I likely wouldn't have bought this, I might at least have been tempted. fortunately, this was gifted to us by my brother-in-law so we can not only read about thesse intriguing selicate fleeting myteries but look at the amazing illustrations which fill this book at our leisure.
Melissa
I got this off the outlet on Amazon for less than it would cost to drive to a store to buy it ;) I love the pictures and I have always had a deep facination with snow. Fairly informative. I want to find another really cheap copy and tear out the pictures and frame them :)
Jane
I came across this book in my son's school library and had to check it out. It's worth a look just for the outstanding photography, but the text is also extremely informative and engaging. I'll be getting out a magnifying glass next time we have a snow storm!
Mary
I learned allot about snow from this book and saw even more pretty pictures of it. It contains not only the science of snow but also lovely quotes heading each chapter and some historical information.
 Barb Bailey
Microphotographs of real snowflakes show the amazing beauty and science behind nature's creations. This year his photos were honored by the U.S. Postal Service in a set of holiday stamps.
Darcy
stunning photographs, thoughtfully written with a mix of storytelling, awe for their beauty, science and history. I enjoyed learning all sorts of amazing things about snow. Wow, wow, wow.
Mellissa
Jul 28, 2008 Mellissa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mellissa by: Molly
I can't believe the photographs in this book are real! I think it is another wonderful example of Heavenly Father's miracles not to be overlooked! Stunning!
Krystal
Great winter coffee table book!
The pictures are amazing!
There is so much beauty in the world and we don't even see it!
Pia_21
Nov 29, 2008 Pia_21 added it
vcvjkkihvfkjvbhnjkfnjjfgnvgmbnvmcbnkfjgikhjiykhjkhjohiuyjuifmjj jjdkfjkgjrk,fkjjhghhghg
Rebecca
Have this book - have always been fascinated by snow - this just enlarges the magic of the stuff!
Jessica
it's a bunch of wonderful photos of snowflakes and words talking about snowflakes. it wins.
Lynlee4
I loved the photography - would have liked more pictures and less tech stuff. Beautiful!
Kathy Brunner
Another wonderful book with great photography...a great read for these snowy days...:)
Janika
Aivan loistava ja todellakiehtova kirja lumihiutaleista ja niiden synnystä.
Amy
If you haven't seen his photography, pick up any one of his books and be awed.
Tweller83
snowflakes, nonfiction, interesting but hard for me to understand
Holly
A smaller version of Libbrecht's work. Highly recomended.
Melody
Lovely book. I never knew snowflakes could be THAT different!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Deep: The Extraordinary Creatures of the Abyss
  • Indian Legends of the Pacific Northwest
  • Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before
  • Workers
  • Levittown: Two Extraordinary Families, One Ruthless Tycoon, and the Fight for the American Dream
  • Liha tottelee kuria
  • The History of the Snowman: From the Ice Age to the Flea Market
  • The Spinster and Her Enemies: Feminism and Sexuality 1880-1930
  • Rivers of Empire: Water, Aridity, and the Growth of the American West
  • Faith and Betrayal: A Pioneer Woman's Passage in the American West
The Secret Life of a Snowflake: An Up-Close Look at the Art and Science of Snowflakes The Art of the Snowflake: A Photographic Album The Little Book of Snowflakes Snowflakes Yuki No Kesshō: Chiisana Shinpi No Sekai