Start by marking “What the Scriptures Teach Us about Prosperity” as Want to Read:
What the Scriptures Teach Us about Prosperity

What the Scriptures Teach Us about Prosperity

I kept writing notes to myself about things I was learning and discussing different perspectives with my family and friends. This was a book to nibble around the edges slowly and think about and reflect on and then nibble on some more." - Association for Mormon Letters

Can you be rich and righteous? Worthy and wealthy? And if the answer is no, why do the scriptures teach th
Published March 1st 2010 by Deseret Book (first published February 2nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about What the Scriptures Teach Us about Prosperity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What the Scriptures Teach Us about Prosperity

Abby
Mar 01, 2011 Abby added it
For a couple years between college and my first baby, I worked at a company where people made ridiculous amounts of money. Seriously, it was ridiculous. I worked in sales and I hit probably the best two year window I could have been there for, and I turned out to be one awesome salesgirl.

I quit the job and walked away from this astronomically high paycheck when Benjamin was born. Really, the further I get away from it, the more crazy it seems. We personally used the money I earned to buy rental
Nancy
Jun 09, 2010 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Nancy by: Rae Hinkle
Shelves: lds-nonfiction
Finally finished this one....so much to learn it took a while to digest. Simply said, this book changed my perspective on prosperity and how we are to use all that we have been blessed with in our lives. Hard to sum up quickly, but the one phrase that has caught my eye and which I shall forever ask myself from now on when deciding where the money goes, "Can I buy this with the Lord's money?" Knowing that all we have belongs to the Lord, we take Him into consideration when making our choices. The ...more
Amie
Oct 11, 2014 Amie rated it really liked it
Shelves: church, 2015
Not a book on building wealth, or self sufficiency. It does take time to digest because Wilcox takes almost all of his stories and illustrations directly from the scriptures. It's a whole lot of information and sometimes you just have to pause to assimilate it all.

It really changed the way I thought about prosperity. The title is about prosperity, not money, wealth, riches or anything like that. It changed how I thought about what it means to prosper, and our responsibilities when we do reach t
Leslie
Jan 08, 2011 Leslie rated it really liked it
This book really puts in perspective money and what the scriptures tell us about money. Can we have wealth and use what we need then give the rest to those in need? Can we continue to do this throughout our lives. He shares in the scriptures where people did this for a while then became proud and loved their things more than God. Can we live modestly and be happy or do we think having much more will bring us happiness. This was really insightful.
Ang
Nov 01, 2010 Ang rated it really liked it
Made me think a lot about my views on money and prosperity. Not an instructional book about finances. Generally covering the morals, ethics, and focus of a balanced pursuit of propersity and the possible dilemmas of wealth. I think that I would give it 4 stars, but need to think about the books main points more.
Rae
Apr 30, 2010 Rae rated it really liked it
Shelves: religiosity
An excellent overview of exactly what is taught in the scriptures (including latter-day words) about wealth and what our attitude toward money should be. Most worthwhile in this time of turbulent economic trouble. Recommended.
Mandy
Jan 30, 2010 Mandy rated it really liked it
It really made me think. Pretty much, the scriptures don't have a lot of good things to say about riches and wealth. Not that it's awful to have money. It just means you have a lot of responsibility and ability to help others meet their needs.
Josh Steimle
Feb 26, 2013 Josh Steimle rated it it was amazing
For me this book marks a watershed moment. I had already reached a few of the conclusions the author included, but the book expanded my understanding far beyond what I had thought about. It was the right book at the right time for me.
Jun 25, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy Wilcox's books. He has a way of seeing details in the scriptures that I tend to miss. I think this is a great read--especially for Priesthood leaders who deal with welfare and other money issues--but also for all of us!
Jordan
Apr 10, 2012 Jordan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: church-read
This was a fantastic book that I would highly recommend to anyone. Pride is the universal sin and is nearly impossible to avoid during times of prosperity. In this book S. Michael Wilcox uses the scriptures to explore what the Lord has said about wealth and finances.
Jackie
Apr 16, 2014 Jackie rated it it was amazing
Wow. Really made me notice a pretty big gap in the way my generation and I tend to think and the way the scriptures tell us to be.
Kristi Reeves
May 08, 2010 Kristi Reeves rated it really liked it
I really loved the insights that Michael Wilcox gives about money. I especially loved how he showed so clearly the Lords way of sharing what you have. I would highly recommend this book to all!
Kim
Dec 27, 2010 Kim rated it it was amazing
This is as awesome as every other of Brother Wilcox's books. It has refocused my priorities as I read the scriptures to help me with my schooling and career
Valerie
Mar 13, 2011 Valerie rated it really liked it
This is a good explanation of prosperity for Latter-day Saints. Well written and insightful.
Fritz
Jan 16, 2011 Fritz rated it really liked it
This book helped me to think differently about the temptation of wealth, which we need to take seriously. Also about the Lord's definition of happiness, compared to the world's definition.
Lauri
Jan 11, 2012 Lauri rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
Didn't finish before it was due back at the library.
Logan
Apr 17, 2013 Logan rated it really liked it
It was a little slow to read, but it had some really good stuff. It really helped me to understand more about the scripture's viewpoint on prosperity.
Connie
Jul 03, 2010 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Had to go buy my own copy so Dan and I could read it.
Lisa
Jul 26, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
Once again I love the insights of Michael Wilcox! This book gave me alot to think about.
April
Mar 11, 2010 April rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Excellent book. I learned a lot about what the scriptures say about money. Brother Wilcox provides good explanations of the subject.
Jeremy
Dec 01, 2016 Jeremy rated it really liked it
good discussion on what the Lord expects us to do with our abundance.
Tracy
Tracy rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2010
Charity Lighten
Charity Lighten rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2012
Martha
Martha rated it really liked it
May 03, 2010
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2014
Jonathan Plowman
Jonathan Plowman rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2017
April
April rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2011
Janna
Janna rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2015
Becky
Becky rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »
  • What Would a Holy Woman Do?
  • The Promise of Enough: Seven Principles of True Abundance
  • Parenting the Strong-Willed Child: Fortifying Our Youth and Healing Our Prodigals
  • Through His Eyes: Rethinking What You Believe About Yourself
  • Of Pigs, Pearls, and Prodigals: A Fresh Look At the Parables of Jesus
  • Weakness Is Not Sin: The Liberating Distinction That Awakens Our Strengths
  • Talking with God: Divine Conversations That Transform Daily Life
  • Created for Greater Things
  • Consider the Blessings
  • The Beginning of Better Days: Divine Instruction to Women from the Prophet Joseph Smith
  • The Continuous Conversion: God Isn't Just Proving Us, He's Improving Us
  • Why?: Powerful Answers and Practical Reasons for Living LDS Standards
  • Women at Church: Magnifying LDS Women’s Local Impact
  • Hard Questions, Prophetic Answers: Doctrinal Perspectives on Difficult Contemporary Issues
  • The Garden Tomb
  • 21 Principles: Divine Truths to Help You Live By the Spirit
  • Love is a Choice:  Making Your Marriage and Family Stronger
S. Michael Wilcox is an instructor at the institute of religion adjacent to the University of Utah. A frequent speaker at Brigham Young University Education Week, Michael also conducts tours of the Holy Land, Church history sites, Europe, China, and Central America. He received a bachelor’s degree in English literature from Brigham Young University, a master’s in media from the University of Arizo ...more
More about S. Michael Wilcox...