Start by marking “What the Scriptures Teach Us about Prosperity” as Want to Read:
What the Scriptures Teach Us about Prosperity

What the Scriptures Teach Us about Prosperity

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  23 reviews
I kept writing notes to myself about things I was learning and discussing different perspectives with my family and friends. This was a book to nibble around the edges slowly and think about and reflect on and then nibble on some more." - Association for Mormon Letters

Can you be rich and righteous? Worthy and wealthy? And if the answer is no, why do the scriptures teach th
Published March 1st 2010 by Deseret Book (first published February 2nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about What the Scriptures Teach Us about Prosperity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What the Scriptures Teach Us about Prosperity

Abby
Jul 29, 2011 Abby added it
For a couple years between college and my first baby, I worked at a company where people made ridiculous amounts of money. Seriously, it was ridiculous. I worked in sales and I hit probably the best two year window I could have been there for, and I turned out to be one awesome salesgirl.

I quit the job and walked away from this astronomically high paycheck when Benjamin was born. Really, the further I get away from it, the more crazy it seems. We personally used the money I earned to buy rental
Nancy
Jan 17, 2011 Nancy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Nancy by: Rae Hinkle
Shelves: lds-nonfiction
Finally finished this one....so much to learn it took a while to digest. Simply said, this book changed my perspective on prosperity and how we are to use all that we have been blessed with in our lives. Hard to sum up quickly, but the one phrase that has caught my eye and which I shall forever ask myself from now on when deciding where the money goes, "Can I buy this with the Lord's money?" Knowing that all we have belongs to the Lord, we take Him into consideration when making our choices. The ...more
Amie
Not a book on building wealth, or self sufficiency. It does take time to digest because Wilcox takes almost all of his stories and illustrations directly from the scriptures. It's a whole lot of information and sometimes you just have to pause to assimilate it all.

It really changed the way I thought about prosperity. The title is about prosperity, not money, wealth, riches or anything like that. It changed how I thought about what it means to prosper, and our responsibilities when we do reach t
Jackie Day
Wow. Really made me notice a pretty big gap in the way my generation and I tend to think and the way the scriptures tell us to be.
Leslie
This book really puts in perspective money and what the scriptures tell us about money. Can we have wealth and use what we need then give the rest to those in need? Can we continue to do this throughout our lives. He shares in the scriptures where people did this for a while then became proud and loved their things more than God. Can we live modestly and be happy or do we think having much more will bring us happiness. This was really insightful.
Ang
Made me think a lot about my views on money and prosperity. Not an instructional book about finances. Generally covering the morals, ethics, and focus of a balanced pursuit of propersity and the possible dilemmas of wealth. I think that I would give it 4 stars, but need to think about the books main points more.
Jordan
This was a fantastic book that I would highly recommend to anyone. Pride is the universal sin and is nearly impossible to avoid during times of prosperity. In this book S. Michael Wilcox uses the scriptures to explore what the Lord has said about wealth and finances.
Mandy
It really made me think. Pretty much, the scriptures don't have a lot of good things to say about riches and wealth. Not that it's awful to have money. It just means you have a lot of responsibility and ability to help others meet their needs.
Josh Steimle
For me this book marks a watershed moment. I had already reached a few of the conclusions the author included, but the book expanded my understanding far beyond what I had thought about. It was the right book at the right time for me.
I really enjoy Wilcox's books. He has a way of seeing details in the scriptures that I tend to miss. I think this is a great read--especially for Priesthood leaders who deal with welfare and other money issues--but also for all of us!
Rae
An excellent overview of exactly what is taught in the scriptures (including latter-day words) about wealth and what our attitude toward money should be. Most worthwhile in this time of turbulent economic trouble. Recommended.
Kristi Reeves
I really loved the insights that Michael Wilcox gives about money. I especially loved how he showed so clearly the Lords way of sharing what you have. I would highly recommend this book to all!
Fritz
This book helped me to think differently about the temptation of wealth, which we need to take seriously. Also about the Lord's definition of happiness, compared to the world's definition.
Logan
It was a little slow to read, but it had some really good stuff. It really helped me to understand more about the scripture's viewpoint on prosperity.
Kim
This is as awesome as every other of Brother Wilcox's books. It has refocused my priorities as I read the scriptures to help me with my schooling and career
April
Excellent book. I learned a lot about what the scriptures say about money. Brother Wilcox provides good explanations of the subject.
Laura Tripp
Good book. Made me think and was good at helping me feel guilty about not wisely using my money.
Valerie
This is a good explanation of prosperity for Latter-day Saints. Well written and insightful.
Lisa
Once again I love the insights of Michael Wilcox! This book gave me alot to think about.
Suzanne
Interesting perspective. Not just another book on budgeting.
Connie
Had to go buy my own copy so Dan and I could read it.
Lauri
Didn't finish before it was due back at the library.
Jennifer is currently reading it
Jul 23, 2015
Mckenna Rice
Mckenna Rice is currently reading it
Jul 19, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Mommywest
Mommywest marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Linz Zee
Linz Zee marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
S. Michael Wilcox is an instructor at the institute of religion adjacent to the University of Utah. A frequent speaker at Brigham Young University Education Week, Michael also conducts tours of the Holy Land, Church history sites, Europe, China, and Central America. He received a bachelor’s degree in English literature from Brigham Young University, a master’s in media from the University of Arizo ...more
More about S. Michael Wilcox...
House of Glory: Finding Personal Meaning in the Temple Fire in the Bones: William Tyndale - Martyr, Father of the English Bible When Your Prayers Seem Unanswered Daughters of God: Scriptural Portraits What the Scriptures Teach Us about Raising a Child