Happy at Last: The Thinking Person's Guide to Finding Joy

Happy at Last: The Thinking Person's Guide to Finding Joy

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Happiness has been written about by everyone from the Dalai Lama (The Art of Happiness) to Daniel Gilbert (Stumbling on Happiness), but in Happy At Last Richard O’Connor takes a fresh look at what happiness is, why we are happy (or not) and how we can stay happy. How? He says we can rewire our brain to be more receptive to happiness by learning to control how our minds wor...more
Published December 22nd 2009 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published October 28th 2008)

Lori
Sep 20, 2010 Lori rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: realists
Shelves: armchair-shrink
Now THIS is my happiness guru! I have finally found someone who talks about happiness and positivity and achieving the goal in a way that does not sound too facile. Richard O'Connor does not sound like a guy who naturally walks on the sunny side of the street all the time. Not only is he a credential holding therapist..and a decently witty writer...he also admits to having fought his own battles with depression and phobic behaviors and other neurotic stuff.

Too many of the positive psych crowd t...more
Dani
Most pessimistic, unhappy book about happiness EVAR.
It starts off like: "Most of us want to be happy. But the economy's in the shitter, and it's going to be harder and harder to even scrape by. What can we do about this? NOTHING."

Like.... thx.

And then the guy is like, "I know what I'm talking about! I suffer from clinical depression!"

O? ... couldn't tell. You've made such an admirable recovery.

I'm on disc 2, and it's talking about not bothering with all that self-improvement crap you've been at...more
Averil
"Happiness is smaller than you think."

Now that's an affirmation I can use! And a lasting lesson I'll take from this book. Was this book life changing? No, certainly not; I've been doing my own life-changing for several years now! But this book was affirming indeed. So many evidence based strategies for improving mental health all collated in one accessible guide. Which is how I would recommend this book to others - as an overarching guide to self-development on the happiness journey.

This book...more
Becca
Richard O'Connor's so great. I kind of sickly love self-help, but most of it is dumb and useless--this and Undoing Depression, both by O'Connor, are terrific, realistic, practical guides to not feeling crummy.
Julia
An interesting read. I like how the author links brain science to cognitive therapy. Worth reading even if you are not particularly unhappy.
Paul
His look at positive psychology. Couldn't get into it.
Rhonda
I've never taken quite so long to read a book as this one. I realized something about myself....I have this obsessive quality that once I start reading a book, I can't stop before I'm finished, whether I'm into it or not. I'm not saying that this is a horrible book, but, for some reason, I couldn't quite get into it. Parts of it spoke to me and kept my interest but those were fleeting moments which were soon forgotten. Perhaps it was just due to bad timing. Because I wasn't very compelled at any...more
Crissy Blanos
Mindfulness. There are many positive messages and helpful exercises in this book to assist one in learning how to be the person they want to become. Mindfulness is what I am taking away from it and I think you should too.
Sasha Rose Clifton Oxnard
An excellent mix of anticonsumerism, mindfulness and neurology - focusing on the mind's ability to rewire itself and form new connections through the practice of new habits!
linnea
I felt this really started off with a bang, but I slowly lost interest. This might be me and not the book. I love the cover art.
Amanda
I liked this. Like with Last Lecture, it's again why am I here and what do I want out of life.
Nobe
A well written book describing the psychology of happiness.
S
Blah, blah, blah...same self help crap, different title.
Kim
Thought provoking and inspirational
Kelly Wills
Definitely not happy at last!
Fatima
Such a wonderfully practical book!
Nikki Li
Feb 18, 2010 Nikki Li marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Started, need to finish.
Stacie
Stacie marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Kathie Mulhall
Kathie Mulhall marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Elizabeth Marin
Elizabeth Marin is currently reading it
May 19, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Kelley Greinke
Kelley Greinke marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Camilalalala
Camilalalala marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Nishant Tharani
Nishant Tharani marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Undoing Depression: What Therapy Doesn't Teach You and Medication Can't Give You Undoing Perpetual Stress: The Missing Connection Between Depression, Anxiety and 21stCentury Illness The Cactus Throne: The Tragedy of Maximilian and Carlotta Hell's Kitchen;: The roaring days of New York's wild West Side Wild Bill Hickock

“Procrastination is a way for us to be satisfied with second-rate results; we can always tell ourselves we'd have done a better job if only we had more time...If you're good at rationalizing, you can keep yourself feeling rather satisfied this way, but it's a cheap happy. You're whittling your expectations of yourself down lower and lower.” 3 likes