The Final Country

The Final Country (Milo Milodragovitch #4)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  244 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Milo Milodragovitch is back in Texas, running the bar of his dreams and trying to do a little private investigating on the side. His relationship with his woman is on the rocks, especially since he had an overnight fling with Molly McBride, the classy dame with the taste for single malt scotch. Now, Molly's persuaded Milo to help her search for and bring to justice the low...more
Published February 28th 2009 by Mysterious Press (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Final Country, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Final Country

Ed
I'm not doing any plot summary except PI Milo Milodragovich, 60, investigates a murder in Texas with forays to his native state of Montanna. Milo loves his nose candy and booze but still manages to get the job done with aplomb.

What I like is the humanity embedded under his rough veneer. He goes to extraordinary lengths to help not only his pals but his fellow man. There's masculine humor here, sure, but the precise turned phrase on almost every page catches me. I guess it's poetic but the phras...more
M. Sarki
I used to be a lover of James Crumley crime novels. Especially ones of the Milo Milodragovitch and C.W. Sughrue hardboiled detectives. And then I evolved I guess, and snobbery became a part of my character, and I tried to be true to my new calling and yet I failed and succumbed to another try at the last great novel composed by James Crumley. He died in 2008, and after many years of my studying and reading cerebral, but essentially feeling works written by Thomas Bernhard, Robert Walser, Samuel...more
Maddy
RATING: 3.25

Although his heart belongs in Montana, Milo Milodragovitch has been living in Texas for quite a spell, having moved there to be with a woman by the name of Betty Porterfield. Despite having been married 5 times, Milo has not quite mastered the relationship thing; and all the signs are there that this one is going sour too. He is ostensibly the owner of a bar, but the reality is that the business is just a front for laundering money. He's actually a rich man, but bored with his life....more
Lee
Crumley's third and final "Milo" tale. Or more like a, booze and coked up road trip from hell. James Crumley had inspired the likes of, Connelly, Lehane and Pelecanos, with his hard-boiled crime stories. Reading one of his Milo or Sughrue cases....gives the reader feeling like they have the hangover.
I like this comment on one of his Sughrue novels, "The Right Madness" -
"More madness from the king of hard-boiled crime: 'Crumley writes like an angel on speed ...
That pretty much sums up any of hi...more
Brett
Another amazing novel from my second favorite crime/noir writer (the first being James Ellroy). This one's damn near as good as "The Mexican Tree Duck" with plenty of Crumley's obscene violence and drug use, brilliant hard-boiled prose, and absolutely insane twists and revelations. All hail Crumley.
Chris
James Crumley writes detective novels in the spirit of Raymond Chandler, focusing more on funny dialogue and world-weary observations from his protagonists, than on plots. His detectives are a little bit older and tougher than baby boomers, and he sets his stories in the west; Montana, Texas, California.

"The Final Country" stars Milo Milodragovitch, a PI from Montana who has spent as much time tending bar or with a coke straw up his nose as he has chasing down cases. In "Final Country," Milo has...more
Tuck
i think this is the last (#4) of milo milodragovitch PI novels by crumley. and perhaps the weakest (i remember the "border snakes" be tighter and shorter). but if you like obscene plots, violence, sex, politics, capitalism, drugs and booze, you will like milo and his many problems doing private investigation.
of note too, "mexican tree duck" is a very good on of his other character, sughrue, another hard drinking, violent PI. and the book that made crumley famous i believe is his very first , th...more
Ian Mapp
This was desperately disappointing stuff for me that with 100 pages to go became the first book that I have given up on since James Joyce Ulyses.

Its problem was the the plot and lack of characterisation meanth that it was impossible to tell what was happening to who - who people were and what their relationships to each other were.

Right from the start we have a reluctant PI who is in a bar when a freshly released convict comes into the bar, throws his weight around and then shoots the owner.

Why...more
Patrick
This was a good crime novel. The plot gets a little ridiculous and is hard to follow in spots. However, Crumley writes well, with emotion and humor. The characters are quirky, but mostly believable. I didn't like it quite as much as "The Last Good Kiss", but another strong effort by Crumley. Definitely worth a read if you like crime fiction.
Tom
Dark and violent, a beautifully wound story unfolds, old Texas money, cocaine and lowlifes, with wonderful descriptions
"The black guy who stepped out of the Town Car wasn't any larger than a church or any more incongruous than a nun with a beard"
John Tipper
This a good crime thriller set in Texas in the early 2000s, containing violence, drug and alcohol abuse. I thought it had too many characters, making it difficult to keep track of them. What carries it along is the author's jazzed up style and the exotic setting of Austin, the most progressive city in a conservative state. This novel is not for the faint of heart due to its X-rated content.
Alan
In the last review I wrote, I complained that Tim Dorsey's Atomic Lobster had way too much drugs and violence. Well the same holds true for Crumley, except the writing is so much better that I'm willing to put up with the sex, drugs, and violence because I care about the story and the characters. I like his earlier work better and probably need to reread The Last Good Kiss and Dancing Bear and One to Count Cadence and see what I think about them 20 years later. Crumley's descriptions and style a...more
Greg D'Avis
The plot's a bit of a mess and you need to keep notes to keep track of the characters. Never really matters, though: Crumley could flat-out write, tragically and beautifully. Behind all the stark violence lies one of the finest chroniclers of the American West. A gut-wrenching book and the last paragraph is one of the all-time greats.
Erich Sysak
I tried so hard to like this book, but I couldn't get past page 120 or so. Why? I just couldn't understand the basic elements or keep track of the characters. It's too bad because I like the hard core characters.
Jaimy
I am a huge Crumley fan and was hoping this would match his earlier books. Sadly, though this is great and most will like it, there isn't enough "new" pacing and panache to justify a higher rating.
Jordan McPeek
Dragged the reading of this book out over a couple months, much too long to keep all the characters and plot straight. Yet I still enjoyed the ride.
Sue
I couldn't get into this one and didn't finish it. Too much sex and drugs by the main character - didn't add to the story for me.
Gabe
Felt pretty formulaic, and also at the end it seemed like Crumley was just throwing a bunch of stuff at the wall to see what would stick.
Karen Tripson
Crumley is very good at characters, plotting, action, heart ache and a good writer. How did I not know about him until now.
Giovanni
Crudo, provocatorio, essenziale. Una sorta di Massimo Carlotto all'ennesima potenza.
Robert
Another vintage Crumley PI; entertaining and a GREAT writer.
Steve Thompson
You can't go wrong with James Crumley. I love all his stuff.
Chris Dworin
Chris Dworin marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Peter Tolton
Peter Tolton marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Steve Elworth
Steve Elworth marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
James Arthur Crumley was the author of violent hardboiled crime novels and several volumes of short stories and essays, as well as published and unpublished screenplays. He has been described as "one of modern crime writing's best practitioners", who was "a patron saint of the post-Vietnam private eye novel"and a cross between Raymond Chandler and Hunter S. Thompson.His book The Last Good Kiss has...more
More about James Crumley...
The Last Good Kiss The Wrong Case Dancing Bear The Mexican Tree Duck Bordersnakes