Start by marking “Snow Tree” as Want to Read:
Snow Tree

Snow Tree

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  57 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Nature lovers of all ages will delight in this ornate Christmas picture book that celebrates the splendor of the natural world Lavish embossing on every page gently illuminates snow-covered hills and trees, bringing to life the frozen beauty of the woodland setting. A little black bear wakes up to find a wintry world of white all around him. He wonders where all the colors ...more
Published October 1st 1997 by Dutton Juvenile (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Snow Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snow Tree

Nicole Fiene
Feb 22, 2015 Nicole Fiene rated it really liked it
The Snow Tree written by Caroline Repchuk is a story meant for a younger crowd. The book tells of a young bear who wakes up during winter, confused as to why the ground is so white. As the story progresses, Little Bear’s friend’s each bring him an item that will remind him of the colors that he knows during the summer and fall months. Items brought to him include autumn leaves, berries, blue jay feathers, and purple rocks. It isn’t until the conclusion of the story that the reader finds out what ...more
Pip
I've always loved children's picture books, although I rejected them quite harshly once I could take books out from libraries as a kid.

I buy children's picture books if I want and I never say I'm getting them for someone else, if I'm asked if I have kids I look at them like they're idiots. I'm practically a kid myself, how could I look after a small human??

The embossed pages and illustrations in this book are truly wonderful, Little Bear has woken up to his first winter and misses all the colou
Erik Akre
Mar 05, 2016 Erik Akre rated it liked it
Recommends it for: nature-loving families
Shelves: young-children
It's one of those children's books that's all about the illustrations. Really, the text seems to be just an excuse to show off the well-made pictures. There is also an affection for nature and its creatures that can't be criticized. My girls enjoyed this book to a certain extent, but I was charmed by the illustrations each time I read it--the attractive detail and the clever use of bright color. It's really the color, rather than just the pictures, that makes this book a good one. The story is s ...more
Julie
Dec 26, 2015 Julie rated it it was amazing
Little Bear wakes up to discover the world around has turned entirely white. He wonders where all of the colors have gone, but then the creatures of the forest begin to appear carrying colorful gifts which they will use to decorate the snow tree. The moose is the last to arrive with a star that will remind all of the forest animals of the "glory of nature, and the beauty of peace and friendship of this Christmas time."

This book is so beautifully illustrated by Josephine Martin. The story by Car
Melissa
Jan 28, 2016 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: james
We loved this book! The different textures and colors throughout made it appeal to my little one. Definitely a favorite. I liked the lessons about working together and decorating to represent something for each decoration.
Ina
Dec 05, 2011 Ina rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-reads
This is a very sweet book. Bear wakes up to a white and snowy world and all the forest animals work to return color to the world, by decorating a beautiful snow tree. The illustrations are breathtakingly beautiful and the text is wonderful, as each of the animals describe their gift to the snow tree and what that gift represents...blue jay contributes some of his blue feathers saying that they are "all I have to give, but these feathers are as blue as the summer sky and the rolling waters of the ...more
Kate
Dec 16, 2014 Kate rated it really liked it
I read this beautiful story every year!
Sarah M.
Apr 28, 2011 Sarah M. rated it it was amazing
This story reminds me of how children are always asking questions when they don't understand things. The animals in the book help to show the little bear the colors from the other seasons. This story does have the idea of Christmas when they decorate the snow tree. This could also be a good book to use when teaching children about the different seasons, and the colors they would see in each season.
Belinda
Jan 24, 2012 Belinda rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book that I absolutely loved as a child. It was one of my favourites.
I used to love lightly running my fingers over the embossed pages as I read the cute little story of a bear in search for coloured objects to decorate a christmas tree with.
Sarah Winters
This book had raised up pictures that add to the book, and great detailed but simple pictures. It has a great Christmas story-line with animals that younger students would love. I think kindergarten to third grade would be good for this book.
Geoff
Dec 19, 2008 Geoff rated it really liked it
Shelves: holiday-winter
Interesting embossed pages with broad white backgrounds of snow emphasize the colorful images. Now, where did moose get that golden star?
Maria Wheeler
Wonderfully illustrated with great textured elements too-one of my daughter's faves.
Literary  Chanteuse
Jan 25, 2012 Literary Chanteuse rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Really nice story and great illustration. Perfect for Christmas.
Monica
Monica added it
Apr 27, 2016
Trista Weir
Trista Weir rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Mandy
Mandy added it
Feb 25, 2016
Theresa
Theresa rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2016
L Furseth
L Furseth rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2016
Eliot Fox
Eliot Fox marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Catie
Catie added it
Jan 12, 2016
Suki
Suki rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2015
Brennan
Brennan rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2015
Mel
Mel rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2015
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2015
Jennifer Wright
Jennifer Wright marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2015
Kirsten Joy
Kirsten Joy marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015