Start by marking “The Dude De Ching” as Want to Read:
The Dude De Ching

The Dude De Ching

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  216 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
The Dude De Ching is an interpretation of the Tao Te Ching for followers of Dudeism. Dudeism is an authentic religion with over 150,000 ordained "Dudeist Priests." It is inspired mainly by Taoism and the Coen Brothers' 1998 film "The Big Lebowski." This funny and inspiring book of spiritual lessons will help you take it easy and abide in the face of any gutterballs that ar ...more
Published December 2009 (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Dude De Ching, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dude De Ching

Peter Merel
May 27, 2011 Peter Merel rated it it was amazing
Okay, I'm a little biased. I wrote half the book. Not that I realised that was what I was doing at the time.

Twenty years ago I created a free translation of Lao Tzu following the guidance of various academics on the Australian National University’s Taoism-Studies-L list. After three years I released that under the GNU public license and called it the GNL, a play on the recursive GNU acronym “GNU’s Not Unix” meaning “GNL’s Not Lao”.

And I figured I was done with that. Three years is a long time f
WolfBread
Jul 02, 2013 WolfBread rated it liked it
This book is a mixed bag. As an ordained Dudeist priest myself, I came into it with a positive outlook. I love The Big Lebowski, and those who don't really shouldn't waste their time on this, since every page will seem very foreign to them.

On one hand, some of the re-imagining of the Taoist verses were hilarious. Like a "laughing out loud while sitting on my couch" level-of-hilariousness. While others verses were just cringe-worthy levels of awful. I guess it just comes down to the fact that thi
Stian
Jan 03, 2016 Stian rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, owned-books
For those of you who are familiar with The Big Lebowski, you know it's a cult classic and, in my humble opinion at least, among the greatest movies of all time. It has, much like Star Wars, spawned its own religion too -- Dudeism -- which is based on the movie's main character, The Dude. Or His Dudeness.. or Duder.. or El Duderino, if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Now, this book is, as it says on its cover, a "Dudeist Interpretation of The Tao Te Ching" -- the classic Taoist work. I w
Ed C
Jan 25, 2010 Ed C rated it really liked it
Shelves: dudeism
A wonderful little spiritual companion, interpreted from (and presented alongside) the Tao Te Ching. Members of the Dudeist community have contributed, in conjunction with some of the editorial board of the Dudespaper (the official online publication of the religion) to find their own special way of expressing and understanding the 2600 year old message of Lao Tzu.

The interpretation is presented somewhat as a parody, using references from the movie "The Big Lobowski" (one of the main influences
David Bradley
This book goes through each portion of the Tao De Ching and converts it into language and references to the Big Lebowski. That was terrible. However, after each Dudeist version, the book includes the actual portion from the Tao De Ching. That was awesome. If this is what it takes to get you to read the Tao de Ching, so be it. But you're better off just reading the original. The Dudeist version is even more confusing and nonsensical than the original.
Mike
Aug 26, 2015 Mike rated it it was ok
It pains me to have to rate the Dude De Ching as a two star rating, but I wouldn't be honest if I didn't. Perhaps it is my inability to grasp the poetic substance of the work, however I felt that the book was attempting to shoehorn The Big Lebowski into the Tao Te Ching.

Although there are similar concepts between the two works, I had a difficult time reading the Lebowski portion vs. the original Tao Te Ching. The original Tao, although also a bit difficult to understand at times, was much easie
Nicole
Oct 20, 2012 Nicole rated it it was ok

I like Lebowski, and I like Tao, but they're not really getting tied together here, man. Hard to improve on Pooh.
Patrick
Jun 02, 2012 Patrick rated it liked it
The Tao Te Ching as The Big Lebowski fan fiction. It was ok but nothing too clever like the Tao of Programming.
Sarah Crawford
Feb 17, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it it was ok
Right off there is a major problem with this work and that is it's based on a movie that I have never seen and I'm sure many others have not seen, so any references to that movie or what happened in it are lost on the ready.

Second, the dude part of the book is, I think, supposed to be fairly humorous but only in a few instances does this work. Most of the time it doesn't make much sense.
The book contains each dude verse followed by one more regularly translated Tao verse.
Chad
Jan 30, 2016 Chad rated it it was amazing
The Dudist translation is often cumbersome but there are moments when it shines bright, even when it's not enlightening it's still entertaining. Benjamin's accompanying translation of the Tao Te Ching is the hidden gem of this book, it's easy to understand and makes this classic text accessible.
Troy Beals
Jun 04, 2014 Troy Beals rated it really liked it
Shelves: dudeism
This book helpd me decide to become an Ordained Dudeist Priest. I like the idea of this religion in that the world is made up of interesting Dudes.
Todd Heller
Jan 07, 2015 Todd Heller rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun

Revisit Tao with some laughs in between. Dude and sage up to the old yielding way. You get it or you don't.
Tom Quinn
Apr 11, 2016 Tom Quinn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Diehard Lebowski fan here, so of course I had to read this. "The Big Lewbowski"-fied verses are worth a few grins, though they wear thin fast. But the accompanying straight translation of the original Tao Te Ching is impressive, lucid, accessible, and powerful. Before long I found myself reading every other section, savoring the original Taoist verses and ignoring the movie-themed rewrites.

5 stars out of 5, not for the movie references (cute but not strong enough to stand on their own) but for t
Amanda
Nov 22, 2010 Amanda rated it it was ok
Shelves: philosophy
To be honest, I didn't read all of it - flicking through the first few verses was enough to let me know how it was likely to continue. What you basically have here is a translation of the Tao by Lao Tzu in its entirety, alternated with verses lampooning the chinese philosophical classic, Big Lebowski style. Probably great fun for the Lebowskiist, but this Dude would rather read the lines that old Lao laid down.
Melissa
Sep 03, 2014 Melissa rated it it was amazing
A novel perspective on ancient wisdom. But that's just like, my opinion, man.
Terra
May 30, 2011 Terra added it
Kind of silly, but a fun idea.
Eddie
Eddie added it
May 24, 2016
Shanna Hoelscher
Shanna Hoelscher marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Jameson Riddle
Jameson Riddle rated it really liked it
May 19, 2016
Christopher
Christopher rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2016
tea
tea rated it liked it
May 14, 2016
Zachary McGrew
Zachary McGrew rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2016
Joshua Velte
Joshua Velte rated it really liked it
May 06, 2016
Ladomel
Ladomel rated it liked it
May 05, 2016
James McNally
James McNally marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Josh Matthews
Josh Matthews rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2016
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
  • The Abide Guide: Living Like Lebowski
  • The Big Lebowski and Philosophy: Keeping Your Mind Limber with Abiding Wisdom
  • The Australian Ugliness
  • The Art of Zen Meditation
  • The Authoritarians
  • Modern Buddhism: The Path of Compassion and Wisdom - (Volume 3 Prayers for Daily Practice)
  • The Sunwell Trilogy (WarCraft: The Sunwell Trilogy, #1-3)
  • The Zen Experience
  • Bless Your Mechanical Heart
  • No Self No Problem: Awakening to Our True Nature
  • Companion for the Apprentice Wizard
  • The Essential Dogen: Writings of the Great Zen Master

“44. Abidement Bullshit money or basic freedoms: which is dearer? Contentment or competition: which is more valuable? Compensation or employment: which is more painful? Great coitus incurs great expense, And great wealth incurs fucking phoniness, But great abidement incurs no loss. Therefore: He who knows when to take it easy Can’t be worried about that shit, And may long endure ups and downs, strikes and gutters. Tao Te Ching: 44. Contentment Fame or Self: which is dearer? Self or wealth: which is more valuable? Profit or loss: which is more painful? Great love incurs great expense, And great wealth incurs great theft, But great contentment incurs no loss. Therefore: He who knows when to stop Does not continue into danger, And may long endure.” 0 likes
“The Stranger accepts the World, As the World accepts the Dude; He narrates the film, so is clearly heard; Does not self-apply a name, so remains unknown; Has never been to London or France, But can die with a smile on his face without feelin’ like the good lord gypped him; Because he does not eat the bar, the bar does not eat him, He does not curse, so no one curses him.” 0 likes