Start by marking “The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny” as Want to Read:
The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny

The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny (Nightside #10)

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,634 Ratings  ·  177 Reviews
John Taylor, the PI with a knack for finding things, gets a visit from Walker-the powerful, never-to-be-trusted agent who runs the Nightside on behalf of The Authorities. He tells John he's dying, and wants to offer him an important job: "His...."
Published January 5th 2010 by Ace Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny

Catherine Ford
Aug 15, 2015 Catherine Ford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Amazing as always. I even cried in this one.
Just read the series my friends, I can't recommend these books enough.
Donna
Apr 04, 2010 Donna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
John Taylor is hired to escort an elf with a secret across the Nightside, and then he joins a rival, Larry Oblivion, to find out what really happened to Larry's brother Tommy during the Lilith War.

It felt like three separate short stories. There's the story of John and the elf, that mostly seemed like setup for a plot that didn't continue during the rest of this novel. Then there's a story about how Larry Oblivion got his weapon, which was nearly a third of the book jarringly told from Larry's p
Bastard
Mar 01, 2012 Bastard rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny is the tenth novel by Simon R. Green in the Nightside series; enter at your own peril. I would have shortened the title to The Bad as this book is simply, well, bad.

This is the part of the review in which I give you the setup of the novel, well can't really do that here. I can tell you this much, it has an 80 page introductory portion, including about 40 pages of an entertaining action packed car chase. Only that by
MissM
Jan 21, 2010 MissM rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010
It's an entertaining crime noir meets modern fantasy fiction series but after ten other books, some of the descriptions are frustratingly repetitive. This far into the series, I think we all know about the dark nature of the Nightside and we don't need to be reminded about all the various forms of sin and suffering over and over again. A lot of the descriptions felt like a copy-and-paste from previous books and a little like filler.

Also filler-ish was the first job Taylor takes on in this instal
colleen the fabulous fabulaphile
2.5

Definitely not the strongest in the series. It actually took about half the book to just get past the set-up and exposition - which is rare. It didn't help that Larry Oblivion isn't really the most interesting of secondary characters - we need more Dead Boy, Razor Eddie, and Susie Shooter.

That said, I wouldn't call this book filler as much as set-up. It's certainly set up some interesting things which will definitely have consequences to-come and oculd lead to some very fun/dangerous things.
Oddmonster
The Nightside's one of my favorite places to visit, but this time it really managed to piss me off.

It wasn't the plot, which started out with a bang and then spent 150 pages whimpering, which I could bear with because let's face it, it's tough to keep a series fresh by the 10th book. It wasn't the writing, which remains clean and liquid (although someone should do a wordcount on the next ms. for blossoms that are "pulpy"). No, it was the book's treatment of women.

Look: I get that this is a P.I.
CJ - So, you wanna play with magic?
It's good to see that the Nightside is picking up some steam again. I didn't know if it could go any longer after the Lilith War and so far the stories have been decent (just decent as compared to the more exciting ones previously) and you could tell that there was something tying them together but was suffering from a lack of completion.

In this one, things are coming to a head. Walker is Walker to the very end and John Taylor, well he's John Taylor. You'll know what I'm talking about if you rea
Eliabeth Hawthorne
-Simon is an intelligent, eloquent and well read writer able to casually throw in references to Dante’s Inferno, Macbeth and the Bible without sounding pretentious. I’m almost certain there are other references in there I overlooked.

-Please note I picked this book up without reading any of the previous novels and keep that in mind when reading this review.

In a tucked away part of London where nightmares run wild and things are rarely what they seem, John Taylor is a PI with a sordid past. Bored
Kristin
Sep 12, 2014 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I really enjoyed #10. It has the right combination of characters, tongue in cheek humor, philosophical reflection, and action to make this a page turner for me. And the ending did - and didn't - surprise me. The reader who's read these in order will know what is coming, but how it comes about is rather fascinating.

My one complaint, and it's not really much of one, was the repetition. Still with the "I opened my private eye, my third eye...". Some of the descriptions of Nightside I've felt I've
Graylark
(view spoiler) ...more
Bryce
Oct 21, 2010 Bryce rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Karissa
Dec 30, 2010 Karissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the tenth, yes the tenth, book in the Nightside series by Simon Green. While the last couple books in the series have been a bit less spectacular than the rest of the series, this book picks up the slack and starts a wonderful new storyline.

The book starts out with John Taylor being hired to help an elf deliver an elven peace treaty across the Nightside (what is it about Green and his evil elves?). Anyway Walker doesn't want the treaty delivered and tries to stop John. At the conclusion
LJ
First Sentence: This is the Nightside.

Things are changing in Nightside. An elf—never trust an elf—hires PI John Taylor as an escort across Night. Then Larry Oblivion, the Dead Detective, asks to help him find his brother who disappeared during the Lilith War. But the biggest concern is Walker, who runs Nightside on behalf of the Authorities. He wants to retire and have PI John Taylor assume his position.

A book with a compelling opening is a joy, and Green writes great openings. I am always stagg
Joshua
Mar 14, 2010 Joshua rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who has enjoyed the rest of the "Nightside" series
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I will say this, The Good, the Bad and the Uncanny, the 10th book in the Nightside series, was a lot of fun and a great reminder of why I love and still continue to read each of the books right when they're released. However, now 10 books in, I find a lot of the repetitive nature in these books quite tiresome. To be fair, I've been feeling this way probably since the 4th book. By now, readers should know how dark the Nightside is and how grumpy PI John Taylor is, and how everyone fears him, and ...more
Eric Moreno
Sep 29, 2010 Eric Moreno rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ladiibbug
Dec 26, 2014 Ladiibbug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#10 Nightside series - UF

Superbly imaginative, this is one of the more enjoyable of The Nightside series books. The author pulls out every bizarre, macabre, thrilling and engrossing character and situation out of his hat this time.

This was heading toward a rare 5 stars until Excalibur (the sword) and a bit of King Arthur came up.

This is a definite reread, maybe even a rare permanent collection book. I was surprised that #11 The Bride Wore Black Leather is the end of The Nightside seri
Heather
Apr 12, 2015 Heather rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: __read-in-2015
Rating: 3 1/2 stars

The Oblivion brothers, Walker, and a new job proposal for John.

The story wasn't horrible. Finally got more information about the Oblivion brothers.

I missed a lot of the supporting characters but I have a feeling this book is mostly to set for the next two books. Or at least book 11.
Mar 25, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Excellent return to the Nightside after a few lackluster books in the series. John finds himself sent around the Nightside trying to help an elf (who can never be trusted anyway) and also tries to find out what happened to his friend Tommy Oblivion during the Wars. Along the way, he finds out that nothing - even what he thought could always be trusted - is not what it seems.

Ahmad Sharabiani
The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny (Nightside, #10), Simon R. Green (1955)
عنوان: نایت ساید جلد دهم: خوب، بد، عجیب؛ نویسنده: سیمون آر. گرین؛ مترجم: زهره حق بین؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، ویدا، چاپ نخست 1391، اندازه 14 در 21 س.م، فروست: مجموعه نایت ساید، شابک جلد 10: 9789642912766؛ شابک دوره: 9789646807914؛ موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان انگلیسی قرن 20 م
Fantasy Literature
I just don't even want to spend the effort to write a real review of this book. The NIGHTSIDE series, which started out so well, has become a joke. With each recent installment, Green repeats the same formula used before. Even the same words! For details, please see my reviews of the previous two novels, The Unnatural Inquirer and Just Another Judgement Day. Honestly, I wouldn't have even picked up The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny if I hadn't already purchased it (and the rest of the novels) w ...more
Kat  Hooper
Same as the last book which was the same as the book before that which was the same as the book before that.
Yael
Feb 05, 2010 Yael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the Nightside -- the hidden heart of London, where time is frozen at 3 a.m., the fulgent Moon is always full and high in the heavens, and all the things that haunt your worst nightmares go casually about their business in the malls and theaters and offices lining the Nightside's downtown streets -- anything can be had . . . if you're willing to pay the price.

John Taylor, a private investigator with a gift for finding things, a talent that has made him wealthy enough to pick and choose which c
jD
Not even close to what I expect from Simon Green or the Nightside. The story centers around Walker introducing John to his job as chief enforcer. Walker is dying, or so we are to believe. He sees John as the heir apparent. I know Walker showed up in the last Eddie Drood book very much alive. Fans of Green will know Eddie from The Man With the Golden Torc, his other series. In all fairness, I will need to check the release dates just to be sure which one was published first. Either way, Walker is ...more
Rebecca
So, this is a pretty standard Nightside book. For those who don't know the series, the Nightside is a hidden city reachable through London, where if Simon Greene can come up with it, it can and will exist there, probably buying services that would be illegal anywhere else. Greene is very good in somehow combining noir sensibilities, where everything is gray and shady, with a world where everything can be true and things are a bit over the top. Somehow it works.

Anyway, this book was kind of meh f
Neil
Oct 10, 2013 Neil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Book Ten of Simon R. Green's Nightside trilogy is, as many other reviewers have pointed out, three stories wrapped into one book. While the novel does stand on it's own, the second act (Larry Oblivion's Tale) could have been taken out without much of a loss of pacing.

Act 1: As with many of the Nightside books, there is James Bond-esq "mini-mission" at the onset, which while often unconnected to the main plot, usually serves to set up plot elements and recurring themes for the rest of the novel.
Kathy Davie
Sep 21, 2011 Kathy Davie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tenth in the Nightside urban fantasy series based in "the hollow heart of London…where it's always night, always dark, always three o'clock in the morning". Where there are always deals being made and "if you can't spot the patsy in the deal, it's almost certainly you".

The Story
It's a novel of change. Change for the Nightside and John Taylor with Walker not giving up on persuading John to take up his position as the New Authorities' voice in the Nightside protecting the status quo.

A novel of use
Amanda
Nov 10, 2011 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simon R. Green welcomes readers back to the Nightside for the series' 10th installment. As a reader who recently re-discovered the Nightside, I find every trip to the strange world to even more addictive than the last. Book 10, The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny, isn't any different -it's as mysterious, engrossing and strangely intriguing as Green's other Nightside novels, though it becomes obvious here that he's moving closer to a far-reaching resolution for the series.

Good, Bad and Uncanny pic
Suspense Magazine
Feb 12, 2010 Suspense Magazine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wildly bizarre in the most magnificent way, Green smoothly guides readers back into the fantastic, dark depths of the Nightside with “The Good, The Bad, and the Uncanny”. As a first time reader of Mr. Green’s work, I sat stunned, seduced by the elements of this unruly world.

Meeting PI John Taylor was an unexpected pleasure—though he is clearly not someone we would want to run into in the real world—with his sharp intensity, unyielding ideals and dripping sarcasm. Inevitably drawn to trouble, wh
Grete

Review originally published at BookThing! (Reviewed by Tony Evans)

John Taylor is back in the 10th Nightside novel. I really, really wanted it to be good. I struggled in some ways with Just Another Judgement Day, and this time I wanted Green to write his way out of the corner he seems to have got himself stuck in.

The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny follows the same format as the last book. We start out with a little mini side adventure, with John Taylor escorting an Elf (of all things) across the
Tristan Macavery
I'm not giving away anything like a spoiler to tell you that this book ends with a blackmail-like demand that you go immediately to read the next one in the series. No blackmail to the characters or anything like that. No, the book ends with a sentence that will force you, without mercy, to go get the next book.

The thrill-ride to get to that sentence is brilliant, convoluted, rife with suggestion and double-dealing, and going places that you didn't quite expect. In other words, another great ent
  • Unfallen Dead (Connor Grey, #3)
  • A Hundred Words for Hate (Remy Chandler, #4)
  • Madhouse (Cal Leandros, #3)
  • Evil Dark (Occult Crimes Unit Investigation, #2)
  • Dead Men's Boots (Felix Castor, #3)
  • The Minority Council (Matthew Swift, #4)
  • Kill the Dead (Sandman Slim, #2)
  • Mean Streets (Remy Chandler, #1.5; Greywalker, #3.5; Nightside, #9.5; The Dresden Files, #10.5)
  • Underground (Greywalker, #3)
  • Dead Streets (Matt Richter #2)
  • Dead Waters (Simon Canderous, #4)
41942
Simon Richard Green is a British science fiction and fantasy-author. He holds a degree in Modern English and American Literature from the University of Leicester. His first publication was in 1979.

His Deathstalker series is partly a parody of the usual space-opera of the 1950s, told with sovereign disregard of the rules of probability, while being at the same time extremely bloodthirsty.

Excerpted
More about Simon R. Green...

Nightside (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Something from the Nightside (Nightside, #1)
  • Agents of Light and Darkness (Nightside, #2)
  • Nightingale's Lament (Nightside, #3)
  • Hex and the City (Nightside, #4)
  • Paths Not Taken (Nightside, #5)
  • Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth (Nightside, #6)
  • Hell to Pay (Nightside, #7)
  • The Unnatural Inquirer (Nightside, #8)
  • Just Another Judgement Day (Nightside, # 9)
  • A Hard Day's Knight (Nightside, #11)

“My Suzie, also known as Shotgun Suzie, also known as Oh Christ It's Her, Run.” 11 likes
“Never go anywhere without condiments. Condiments are our friends.” 7 likes