Start by marking “Singularity (Sarah Armstrong, #1)” as Want to Read:
Singularity (Sarah Armstrong, #1)

Singularity (Sarah Armstrong #1)

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  205 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Profiler Sarah Armstrong knows what it's like to be in a sticky situation. As a single mother and one of the few female Rangers in Texas history, she has had to work twice as hard to rank among the best cops in the Lone Star State. But when megawealthy businessman Edward Lucas III is found murdered along with his mistress, their bodies posed in grotesque ways, Sara quickly ...more
Published June 24th 2008 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Singularity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Singularity

Loretta
Dec 08, 2008 Loretta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dec-2008
A story of a female Texas Ranger who is widowed and has a young daughter. She is a profiler and is chasing a serial killer. Starts out fast paced and follows through to the end. A very good, quick read.
Viccy
Jun 26, 2009 Viccy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sarah Armstrong is a profiler for the Texas Rangers, one of only two female Rangers. She gets a call one morning to go to Galveston to view the bodies of a prominent business man and his mistress. Sarah suspects a serial killer, but the Galveston P.D. arrests the man's widow. Sarah pursues her leads with the assistance of an F.B.I. agent. The denouement was completely predictable, but I enjoyed the relationships between all the characters. I like Sarah and her daughter, Maggie, who are strugglin ...more
Tracy
Dec 23, 2008 Tracy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ehh, not the best thriller I've ever read. Too many one-dimensional characters, lack of continuity in certain spots, writing was only so-so. IF there's another in the series, I probably will not read it.
Marcia
Apr 08, 2009 Marcia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was fun and fast to read. The characters are one-dimensional and the plot is entirely predictable. Even with those strikes against it this was a decent book. I don't regret reading it.
Jen
Sarah Armstrong is a profiler for the Texas Rangers. After the murder of a wealthy and influential businessman and his mistress, the investigation points to his widow. Sarah, however, doubts this and begins looking at other murders that appear to have similarities. Is the guilty party actually a serial killer who rides the rails? She finds herself alone in this belief of a nomadic psychopath who has committed murders across the state of Texas.

Moderately entertaining, but not a series I will make
Kayeb
Mar 17, 2009 Kayeb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

My first intro to this author I enjoyed the book. I will look for additional books with her. There is some interesting character deveolopment and I liked how she ties in information passed on from her young daughter about singularity to be a theme throughout.

Gina
Goodreads Description- Profiler Sarah Armstrong knows what it’s like to be in a sticky situation. As a single mother and one of the few female Rangers in Texas history, she has had to work twice as hard to rank among the best cops in the Lone Star State. But when megawealthy businessman Edward Lucas III is found murdered along with his mistress, their bodies posed in grotesque ways, Sara quickly senses that this will be the deadliest case of her career. While others focus the investigation on Lu ...more
Lisa
Jun 23, 2011 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Sarah Armstrong, a profiler for the Texas Rangers, is called in to help Galveston police solve the murder of a wealthy Houston businessman and his mistress. While working on the case, Sarah comes to the realization that the murder is far more complicated than first thought. As Sarah and David, a member of the FBI, dig deeper into the case, they find that they have come across a serial killer that has killed all over the state of Texas. It is soon apparent that the serial killer rides the rails, ...more
Marilyn Groves
I've never read any of the author's true crime books, where apparently she has had some success. This fiction female ranger vs bad guys was pretty good, and since so much of the action occurred in places I was familiar with in Texas, I may have enjoyed it more than others will.
Maddy
Mar 15, 2010 Maddy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-reads, bottoms
PROTAGONIST: Sarah Armstrong, Texas Ranger
SETTING: Texas
SERIES: Debut
RATING: 2.25
WHY: Sarah Armstrong is one of only two female Texas Rangers on the job. She's on a case involving a psychopathic serial killer, and is the only one who doesn't believe the prevailing profile of the murderer. Although not badly written, I ended up disliking this book a lot. She exhibited the most appalling personal and professional judgment. Every time she made one of these bad decisions, I felt my gut churning - it
Debbie Andreen
Jun 04, 2014 Debbie Andreen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A gripping tale from start to finish with a tough, yet compassionate, heroine in the form of Texas Ranger Sarah Armstrong!
Ruth
Aug 06, 2013 Ruth rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-modern
c2008: FWFTB: Profiler, Rangers, grotesque, massacre, psychopath. I clearly did not read the full synopsis of the book before ordering it! The plot contains most of the story arcs that I have a real problem with ie. the mad man targets the heroine and her family, we know who it is from the start of the book and yes, the heroine is pretty, strong, resilient. What saved this book for me was the writing style. It did suck me in despite my feelings about the various plot points. Recommended to the n ...more
Mike B
Sep 08, 2015 Mike B rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good page turner
Ryan Mishap
Dec 17, 2008 Ryan Mishap rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-crime
Ok, I didn't read the whole thing but that's because I like actual mysteries--the room full of suspects while the detective (amateur or pro) deconstructs the case and lays out the facts pointing to!--so these police serial killer forensics hoo-hahs bore me to tears. Screw thrillers and suspense stories, I like a knotty mystery to try and unravel. This book just screams "I found a niche nobody has done yet so i will write a typical serial killer book with it"--she's a Texas Ranger! that's right!
Kim Justice
Aug 16, 2013 Kim Justice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Well I will not go into much detail in to this review. Mostly that I just could not really get into reading it. Maybe due to some of the details and just plainly the way it just didn't flow for me.

Please don't take it the wrong way, I do love a good mystery, but:

To read more:
Breath of Life
Sharon
Nov 17, 2008 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First time I've read a mystery about a Texas Ranger and a female one at that.

This is the first novel for true crime writer Kathryn Casey and she kept it on fast paced and colorful throughout the book.

One of the best things about it is that she didn't let it all wrap up two pages after catching the killer, there was a very nice epilogue with a little teaser at the end.

Good read.
Evelyn
Nov 25, 2008 Evelyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, mystery
Female Texas Ranger and profiler Sarah Armstrong tracks a serial killer only to be doubted by her police colleagues who believe a double murder was comitted by a wealthy socialite.

Kathryn Casey has written several bestselling true-crime books.
Fast-paced with interesting and complex characters.
A great debut -- highly recommend.
Similar authors: Karin Slaughter and Alex Kava.

Janelle Kelley
Aug 28, 2012 Janelle Kelley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kathryn-casey
It's fiction but I liked it. It took place in a lot of Texas areas that I'm familiar with. Sarah Armstrong is a Texas Ranger AND a mother so it takes you into a few different phases of her life, not to mention now that her husband died in the line of duty as also a Texas Ranger, she seems to like FBI guy, Garrity, so there's also romance. A little of everything.
Marianne Stehr
Apr 08, 2011 Marianne Stehr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book, reminds me alot of the Joanna Brady series by JA Jance. I cannot wait to read more of this series. A strong female law enforcement officer, some love, a loss of husband and a whole lot of thrills written just the way I like it, thrills, good solid ending, just enough intrgiue to keep the series going.
Helene
A few too many cheesy cliches in the beginning made me wonder if this book was going to be worth finishing. I'm glad I did because the plot picked up and the cliches became few and far between. While the story was pretty predictable, it was still enjoyable. This definitely falls in the 'summer read' category.
Sue
Dec 20, 2010 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
New series - main character is a female Texas Ranger who is also a profiler. Widowed, she and her pre-teen daughter live with her mother on a small ranch outside Houston. Characters are well drawn and there is depth to not only the plot, but the family relationship as well.
Tara Chevrestt
Sep 25, 2009 Tara Chevrestt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This was simply too predictable and too much like every other grocery store mystery I have read for me to give it a higher rating. Tho not a bad book, it didn't "blow me away" nor do I see myself reading it again or its sequel.
Allison
May 12, 2013 Allison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Kathryn Casey's books featuring Sarah Armstrong! I somehow missed the first one and wanted to catch up. I was not disappointed. Good mystery, good character development, great series!
Heather
Mar 17, 2011 Heather rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Sarah is a Texas ranger who has lost her husband, a fellow ranger. The action ratchets up nicely as Sarah chases a serial killer. Character development is rather lack-luster, but a good read.
BJ
I liked this book! I felt the lead character was strong and interesting. It's the only one I've ever read with a female Texas Ranger. I would definitely read another in this series.
Sue
Sep 02, 2013 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crimen
Hum drum and very slow-going until after about page 100 or so. Pace picked up and then I read over 200 pages in one day. Fairly straightforward, some surprises towards the end.
Catherine
Sep 07, 2012 Catherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Third book I've read from this author - read out of order. Think I enjoyed this the most. A bit more realistic conclusion. Well written and made me want to keep reading.
Anne
Jul 23, 2008 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very good book. The main character was juggling her job as a profiler/texas ranger with being a recent widow and a mother along with trying to catch a serial killer.
SouthWestZippy
Jul 12, 2015 SouthWestZippy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This book had me on the edge of my seat,very compelling. Strong characters and great story line. I do hope this is not the last we hear of Texas Ranger Sarah Armstrong.
Peg
Jul 30, 2012 Peg rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had higher hopes for this book based on Kathryn Casey's true crime books. I think I'll stick to them.
  • Champagne: The Farewell: A Vengeance in the Vineyard Mystery
  • Sabre-Tooth (Modesty Blaise #2)
  • The Secret Portrait (A Jean Fairbairn/Alasdair Cameron Mystery #1)
  • Seeking the Dead (Joe Plantagenet, #1)
  • Buried in Benidorm (Max Castillo Mystery, #1)
  • Turn to Stone (Jonathan Stride, #5.6)
  • Die Easy (Charlie Fox Thriller, #10)
  • A Lesson In Dying (Inspector Ramsey, #1)
  • The Saints Go Dying
  • Swift Justice (A Charlie Swift Mystery #1)
  • The Killing House (Malcolm Fletcher, #1)
  • The Dead Place (Ben Cooper & Diane Fry, #6)
  • The Blight Way (Sheriff Bo Tully, #1)
  • Christmas is Murder (Rex Graves Mystery #1)
  • Anonymous Rex (Anonymous Rex, #1)
  • Aftershock: A Thriller (Aftershock, #1)
  • The Takeover
  • Down to the Wire
A novelist and an award-winning journalist, Kathryn Casey is the creator of the Sarah Armstrong mystery series and the author of eight highly acclaimed true crime books. Her first novel, SINGULARITY, was one of Booklist’s best crime novel debuts of 2009, and Library Journal chose the third, THE KILLING STORM, as one of the best books of 2010. In both books Casey’s protagonist is a Texas Ranger/pro ...more
More about Kathryn Casey...

Sarah Armstrong (3 books)
  • Blood Lines (Sarah Armstrong, #2)
  • The Killing Storm (Sarah Armstrong, #3)