Singularity: A Mystery

Singularity: A Mystery ( Sarah Armstrong #1)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Profiler Sarah Armstrong knows what it’s like to be in a sticky situation. As a single mother and one of the few female Rangers in Texas history, she has had to work twice as hard to rank among the best cops in the Lone Star State. But when megawealthy businessman Edward Lucas III is found murdered along with his mistress, their bodies posed in grotesque ways, Sara quickly...more
Published June 24th 2008 by Minotaur Books

Loretta
A story of a female Texas Ranger who is widowed and has a young daughter. She is a profiler and is chasing a serial killer. Starts out fast paced and follows through to the end. A very good, quick read.
Viccy
Sarah Armstrong is a profiler for the Texas Rangers, one of only two female Rangers. She gets a call one morning to go to Galveston to view the bodies of a prominent business man and his mistress. Sarah suspects a serial killer, but the Galveston P.D. arrests the man's widow. Sarah pursues her leads with the assistance of an F.B.I. agent. The denouement was completely predictable, but I enjoyed the relationships between all the characters. I like Sarah and her daughter, Maggie, who are strugglin...more
Tracy
Ehh, not the best thriller I've ever read. Too many one-dimensional characters, lack of continuity in certain spots, writing was only so-so. IF there's another in the series, I probably will not read it.
Marcia
This book was fun and fast to read. The characters are one-dimensional and the plot is entirely predictable. Even with those strikes against it this was a decent book. I don't regret reading it.
Kayeb

My first intro to this author I enjoyed the book. I will look for additional books with her. There is some interesting character deveolopment and I liked how she ties in information passed on from her young daughter about singularity to be a theme throughout.

Gina
Goodreads Description- Profiler Sarah Armstrong knows what it’s like to be in a sticky situation. As a single mother and one of the few female Rangers in Texas history, she has had to work twice as hard to rank among the best cops in the Lone Star State. But when megawealthy businessman Edward Lucas III is found murdered along with his mistress, their bodies posed in grotesque ways, Sara quickly senses that this will be the deadliest case of her career. While others focus the investigation on Lu...more
Lisa
Sarah Armstrong, a profiler for the Texas Rangers, is called in to help Galveston police solve the murder of a wealthy Houston businessman and his mistress. While working on the case, Sarah comes to the realization that the murder is far more complicated than first thought. As Sarah and David, a member of the FBI, dig deeper into the case, they find that they have come across a serial killer that has killed all over the state of Texas. It is soon apparent that the serial killer rides the rails,...more
Marilyn Groves
I've never read any of the author's true crime books, where apparently she has had some success. This fiction female ranger vs bad guys was pretty good, and since so much of the action occurred in places I was familiar with in Texas, I may have enjoyed it more than others will.
Maddy
PROTAGONIST: Sarah Armstrong, Texas Ranger
SETTING: Texas
SERIES: Debut
RATING: 2.25
WHY: Sarah Armstrong is one of only two female Texas Rangers on the job. She's on a case involving a psychopathic serial killer, and is the only one who doesn't believe the prevailing profile of the murderer. Although not badly written, I ended up disliking this book a lot. She exhibited the most appalling personal and professional judgment. Every time she made one of these bad decisions, I felt my gut churning - it...more
Debbie Andreen
A gripping tale from start to finish with a tough, yet compassionate, heroine in the form of Texas Ranger Sarah Armstrong!
Ruth
c2008: FWFTB: Profiler, Rangers, grotesque, massacre, psychopath. I clearly did not read the full synopsis of the book before ordering it! The plot contains most of the story arcs that I have a real problem with ie. the mad man targets the heroine and her family, we know who it is from the start of the book and yes, the heroine is pretty, strong, resilient. What saved this book for me was the writing style. It did suck me in despite my feelings about the various plot points. Recommended to the n...more
Ryan Mishap
Ok, I didn't read the whole thing but that's because I like actual mysteries--the room full of suspects while the detective (amateur or pro) deconstructs the case and lays out the facts pointing to!--so these police serial killer forensics hoo-hahs bore me to tears. Screw thrillers and suspense stories, I like a knotty mystery to try and unravel. This book just screams "I found a niche nobody has done yet so i will write a typical serial killer book with it"--she's a Texas Ranger! that's right!
Kim Justice
Well I will not go into much detail in to this review. Mostly that I just could not really get into reading it. Maybe due to some of the details and just plainly the way it just didn't flow for me.

Please don't take it the wrong way, I do love a good mystery, but:

To read more:
Breath of Life
Sharon
First time I've read a mystery about a Texas Ranger and a female one at that.

This is the first novel for true crime writer Kathryn Casey and she kept it on fast paced and colorful throughout the book.

One of the best things about it is that she didn't let it all wrap up two pages after catching the killer, there was a very nice epilogue with a little teaser at the end.

Good read.
Evelyn
Female Texas Ranger and profiler Sarah Armstrong tracks a serial killer only to be doubted by her police colleagues who believe a double murder was comitted by a wealthy socialite.

Kathryn Casey has written several bestselling true-crime books.
Fast-paced with interesting and complex characters.
A great debut -- highly recommend.
Similar authors: Karin Slaughter and Alex Kava.

Janelle Kelley
It's fiction but I liked it. It took place in a lot of Texas areas that I'm familiar with. Sarah Armstrong is a Texas Ranger AND a mother so it takes you into a few different phases of her life, not to mention now that her husband died in the line of duty as also a Texas Ranger, she seems to like FBI guy, Garrity, so there's also romance. A little of everything.
Marianne Stehr
I absolutely loved this book, reminds me alot of the Joanna Brady series by JA Jance. I cannot wait to read more of this series. A strong female law enforcement officer, some love, a loss of husband and a whole lot of thrills written just the way I like it, thrills, good solid ending, just enough intrgiue to keep the series going.
Helene
A few too many cheesy cliches in the beginning made me wonder if this book was going to be worth finishing. I'm glad I did because the plot picked up and the cliches became few and far between. While the story was pretty predictable, it was still enjoyable. This definitely falls in the 'summer read' category.
Sue
New series - main character is a female Texas Ranger who is also a profiler. Widowed, she and her pre-teen daughter live with her mother on a small ranch outside Houston. Characters are well drawn and there is depth to not only the plot, but the family relationship as well.
Tara Chevrestt
This was simply too predictable and too much like every other grocery store mystery I have read for me to give it a higher rating. Tho not a bad book, it didn't "blow me away" nor do I see myself reading it again or its sequel.
Allison
I love Kathryn Casey's books featuring Sarah Armstrong! I somehow missed the first one and wanted to catch up. I was not disappointed. Good mystery, good character development, great series!
Heather
Sarah is a Texas ranger who has lost her husband, a fellow ranger. The action ratchets up nicely as Sarah chases a serial killer. Character development is rather lack-luster, but a good read.
BJ
I liked this book! I felt the lead character was strong and interesting. It's the only one I've ever read with a female Texas Ranger. I would definitely read another in this series.
Sue
Hum drum and very slow-going until after about page 100 or so. Pace picked up and then I read over 200 pages in one day. Fairly straightforward, some surprises towards the end.
Catherine
Third book I've read from this author - read out of order. Think I enjoyed this the most. A bit more realistic conclusion. Well written and made me want to keep reading.
Anne
This was a very good book. The main character was juggling her job as a profiler/texas ranger with being a recent widow and a mother along with trying to catch a serial killer.
Peg
I had higher hopes for this book based on Kathryn Casey's true crime books. I think I'll stick to them.
Lupe
Well written book about a female Texas Ranger. Love the strong female character!
Jody
Good, edge of the seat suspense. Enjoy the author's writing.
Ben Rand
Had some promise, then rushed ending.
Kathryn Casey is a Houston-based journalist who has written for Rolling Stone, TV Guide, Newsweek, Texas Monthly, and many other publications.
More about Kathryn Casey...
She Wanted It All Shattered A Descent Into Hell Deadly Little Secrets: The Minister, His Mistress, and a Heartless Texas Murder Die, My Love: a True Story of Revenge, Murder, and Two Texas Sisters