Dahlia

Dahlia

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Looks can be deceiving!

When Charlotte gets a delicate doll from her aunt Edme, she is not too happy. She tells the doll that she and Bruno, her bear, "like digging in dirt and climbing trees. No tea parties, no being pushed around in frilly prams. You'll just have to get used to the way we do things." Much to Charlotte and Bruno's surprise, Dahlia seems to like getting dir...more
Published August 1st 2002 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux

To ask other readers questions about Dahlia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dahlia

Kathryn
Nov 13, 2008 Kathryn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kathryn by: Chandra
I love this book! And tomorrow I would love to wake up and spend the day with Charlotte and Bruno and Dahlia. What a sweet story, and the pictures are very pretty. I really appreciate Charlotte's character; she loves nature and playing outdoors, climbing trees and fishing... but she also knows how to take care of her dolls. I was much the same as a girl. I can't say enough about this darling story except READ IT and fall in love yourself.
Ann
Dec 13, 2008 Ann rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ann by: Katie
A very sweet story about a young girl who gets a delicate doll from her aunt. At first the girl doesn't want the doll (she's a bit of a tom boy) but after a while the doll is able to join in on the girl's adventures and becomes a happier doll for it. It's a very sweet story and the illustrations are lovely. A great book for remembering that we each make our toys into something unique, and that the fun and imagination is in what the child brings to the toy, not the other way around.
Janessa
This is one of my all time, favorite-ever picture books. I adore Barbara McClintock. Her illustrations exude a detailed elegance that bring to mind Victorian parlors, frilled cuffs, and high tea. But in this book she pairs that elegance with the fresh, rough air of the outdoors. These two opposing forces combine in her head-strong protagonist, Charlotte.

The premise of the story is this: Charlotte is a born naturalist. A two page spread of her bedroom reveals collections of abaondoned birds nest...more
Dolly
Mar 25, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2011, childrens
This is a wonderful story about a fun-loving little girl named Charlotte (who loves to climb trees and is not afraid of getting dirty) who is given a fancy doll and proceeds to love her and play with her. The eventual meeting with the aunt who gave the doll to Charlotte offers a very pleasant surprise.

I loved that it depicts the little girl as being adventurous and free-spirited, but also loving and nurturing. I like that she can be rough and tumble and keep up with the boys and still knows how...more
Lisa Vegan
Oct 21, 2009 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: girls who like dolls, girls who don’t like dolls, everyone who like dolls in books
Recommended to Lisa by: Chandra
Oh, I’m so glad I’ve found Barbara McClintock. This is another winner from her.

Unlike Charlotte, the girl in the book, I did like dolls when I was a girl, but I liked dolls who make appearances in books even better.

This is a fabulous book where a doll becomes a central character.

The story is funny and sweet and engaging. Charlotte and Bruno and Dahlia, and Aunt Edme, are memorable characters. McClintock remembers exactly what it feels like for a child to play with stuffed animals, dolls, and toy...more
Megan Sanchez
A truly magical little book about a young girl who loves to run around and play outside and the doll she is given by her aunt. Charlotte has never wanted a doll and doesn't want to be forced into tea parties and dress up games. She'd much rather play outside, race with the boys and make mud cakes. But quickly she finds that her doll is the perfect playmate. The illustrations are beautiful and detailed. Though it is a fairly recent publication, it has a timelessness that makes it feel like an old...more
Elaine
Great book about a tomboy girl that gets a china doll from an elderly aunt. The doll, by the end of the day of playing, doesn't look perfect anymore, but it does look loved.
Allison
Dahlia is the doll that Charlotte receives from her Aunt, but at first Charlotte doesn't know if she will like her. The doll is too dressed up and fancy for the adventures that Charlotte likes to go on. After an afternoon of making mud pies, racing their wagon and climbing a tree, they decide they will be the best of friends. Little Dahlia falls off a high branch and Charlotte has to nurse her back to health. But when her aunt comes for dinner that night what will she think of the doll all cover...more
Shawn Thrasher
More vintage-y Victoriana from Barbara McClintock, this time in the form of a little tomboy (Charlotte) who is given a doll (Dahlia) that she initial thinks she hates. Friendships can be formed from the strangest pairings, and Charlotte and Dahlia become besties by the end. McClintock's story is sweet and fun, and her gentle descriptions of the doll's changing attitude and face, from cold to warm, is quite lovely. Aunt Edme could have been the stock mean old maid aunt, but instead McClintock cre...more
Connie
When Charlotte got a fancy, frilly doll as a present, I don't think dismayed is the right word. It's clear from her room (filled with bird nests and dragonflies) that she's not a doll kind of girl. Still, she makes the best of it, she and her bear... and they realize, eventually, that there's no reason you can't play with a fancy doll in the same way you'd play with any other toy.

The revelation at the end that the doll was bought specifically so she could be played with in mud puddles and tossed...more
Megan D. Neal
Our family loves this delightful story of a little tomboy of a girl named Charlotte who receives a frilly doll from her aunt. At first, the tomboyish, nature-loving little girl doesn't know what to do with her, but she drags Dahlia along on her day's adventures anyway. By the end of the day, Dahlia is not so frilly anymore, but she has a strangely happy smile on her face. Best of all is the aunt's reaction when she discovers the state of the doll. Such a good story, with wonderful illustrations!...more
Kixie
Kathryn
Barbara McClintock's book is darling. It's a Victorian setting with Charlotte and Bruno and Dahlia as the adorable characters. I'd just like to spend the day with all three of them and have fun and even get a little dirty!
Cheryl in CC NV
Pretty pictures - if you can get used to the outsized heads of the people. Pleasant enough story - with a *fantastic* surprise ending. I never had a daughter, but if I did, I'd want her to be just like Charlotte - or just like (view spoiler).
Jen
this is a cute little book about a tomboy girl who receives a "perfect" looking doll & isn't into dolls at all. It was perfect for us because we also have a little tomboy girl and she just received a doll for her birthday. cute story.
Lisa
I love all of McClintock's illustrated books, but this is my favorite of her stories. Excellent for teacher/moms of girls who want to reenforce that girls can be wonderfully feminine, smart and adventurous all at the same time.
Ann
A really wonderful story for little girls, and the line illustrations are AMAZING. McClintock goes crazy with the details, and it pays off for the reader. I'll be checking out all her books to share with my nieces.
Emily
We gave this funny book to Hazel for her birthday and it charmed us all on the first reading. If you've got a little tom boy, you'll eat this book up. And if that tom boy somehow loves dolls, even better.
Abbi Kraus
I liked this book because it shows kids to give things a try and not judge things/people at first sight. I would read this to my class any day and have a discussion about making the most of what they have!
Becky
So glad Jenn and Clara Sechler introduced me to Barbara McClintock. This is a book for everyone who's ever played with a doll...or in the mud...or both. As a side note, Charlotte's room is the best room ever.
Julie
Really beautifully illustrated book about a little girl getting a doll as a present. She doesn't usually play with dolls and the book is how she comes to like the doll. Very sweet!
Claudia
This book is really cute for young children to see how you have to give things a chance before you say you don't like it. I think it would be suitable for a predicting strategy!
Chantel
I think that this is my favorite "doll/girl" story. Beautiful illustrations and sweet story of a prim, lacy doll and a spunky, tom-boyish little girl.
Lea
The illustrations are wonderful and the story, although not lyrically written, is solid. Also, I am a sucker for any story with a teddy bear named Bruno.
Wonderful illustrations, charming setting, and a really great story. I love that the heroine is a tomboy in a dress with a doll named Dahlia.
Monica
This is the kind of book you just want to go out and buy for somebody you love--whether she likes dolls or not!
Mckinley
Tom boys have always been around. Victorian setting and storyline that is just as good for today as that setting.
Gillian
Another good one by Barbara McClintock, especially for kids who like to get dirty and take their lovies on adventures.
Kaethe
Yum. I really like the budding young naturalist amidst the trappings of Victoriana.
Sally
Really captures imaginative play. I guess there were tomboys during the Victorian Era!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Barbara McClintock is the author and illustrator of books for children.

Her books have won 4 New York Times Best Books awards, a New York Times Notable Book citation, a Boston Globe/Horn Book Honor award, numerous other awards, recommended/best book lists, and starred reviews. Her books have been made into children's videos, a ballet/opera, and a recorded books on tape.

Barbara drew constantly as...more
More about Barbara McClintock...
Adèle and Simon Cinderella Adèle & Simon in America Molly and the Magic Wishbone The Fantastic Drawings of Danielle