Start by marking “Star Trek Deep Space Nine: The Left Hand of Destiny, Book One” as Want to Read:
Star Trek Deep Space Nine: The Left Hand of Destiny, Book One

Star Trek Deep Space Nine: The Left Hand of Destiny, Book One (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: The Left Hand of Destiny #1)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  243 ratings  ·  14 reviews
"The Klingon Empire is dying...and I think it deserves to die."

With those words, Lieutenant Ezri Dax propelled Lieutenant Commander Worf to the most fateful decision of his life -- to vanquish Klingon leader Gowron in honorable combat and install in his place a low-born, one-eyed soldier of the empire who might lead their people back to the path of honor.

Under the weighty

Published March 14th 2003 by Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing (first published March 6th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek Deep Space Nine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek Deep Space Nine

William Galaini
Disclaimer #1: Star Trek… exists in its own continuum of quality. Some might say a particular work of Star Trek might be ‘poor’ by most standards yet ‘good’ by the standards of Star Trek. The opposite can be said as well, in that the new Star Trek reboot films are ‘good’ by most standards and yet poor by Star Trek standards.

Disclaimer #2: I have met one of these authors personally, and I delighted in their company. I have reviewed authors I know previously, and I do my best to be honest.

Deep Spa
Dom
I loved General Martok on Deep Space Nine and was ecstatic to see that J. G. Hertzler, the actor who played Martok, wrote a book that provides some resolution for his character (in the last episode of DS9, we see him leave the station but not become chancellor).

I don't know how much of the writing is attributable to co-author Jeffrey Lang versus Hertzler himself, but overall I found the writing to be much better than the average Star Trek novel's. With a few small exceptions - noted by other rev
Kathy
The Left Hand of Destiny Book One by J.G. Hertzler and Jeffery Lang was a fantastic book if you love Klingons. The book is well balanced between action, plot, and character depth.

I’m unapologetic lover of Klingons. When I went to the Vancouver Star Trek Convention, the thing I was looking forward to the Breakfast with the Klingons the most. While on the outside I was all calm, on the inside the little girl in me would have thrown my autograph book on my head with glee just as my sister did when
Angela
Martok and Worf go back to the Klingon home world after the Dominion war. Major problem, there's a violent coup to overthrow Martok. This is an engaging book, with lots of fights, well, I suppose it is about Klingons. The plot moves quickly and you could imagine this being a TV episode. A good read,
David Agranoff
Taking place right after the events of the last episode of Deep space nine, this novel follows Worf and the newly appointed General/Chancellor Martok back to the Klingon home world after the end of the Dominion War.

Before they can beam down to celebrate with gallons of blood wine a rebel blows up the hall of warriors and another Klingon civil war that breaks out suddenly.

Pretty neat that this novel is co-written by the actor who played Martok. Andrew Robinson(Also the serial killer in dirty har
Dan
When I first read the DS9 relaunch novels back in the early 2000s, I recall The Left Hand of Destiny as one of the highlights. Upon re-reading, the story did not disappoint. This epic, sweeping tale of the challenges faced by Chancellor Martok shortly after the end of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine is a wonderful adventure, full of incredible action, great character moments, and the sort of grand storytelling one might expect in a cinematic Shakespearean drama. The story itself is incredibly well-wr ...more
Derek Oberg
This one was okay. It started out as kinda a clunker for me, but once I got into it I enjoyed it more.

My biggest problem with the book is that I don't really think Klingons work well as the main characters without including a more culturally familiar human society like the Federation for balance.

I love Klingons as much as the next Star Trek fan. Indeed, it wouldn't be complete without them. But it's even further from complete without Starfleet.

Hertzler did okay, but as far as actors writing the
Jaye
Everything I've read lately has been so heavy that I thought I'd lighten my load with a Star Trek novel. I enjoyed watching J.G. Hertzler on DS9, so I thought this would be a good one to try. It was a quick read, and I did enjoy it, but it's got one of the darkest storylines I can remember reading in a Trek novel.
Roger
One of the most fun Star Trek novels I've read. The pace was perfect, the characterizations just right. I was never a big fan of DS9, but did enjoy Martok's character. Also some interesting highlights of Klingon history.
Benjamin Plume
I love what these post-finale books have done, especially in their fleshing out of the cultures of DS9.
Mikael Kuoppala
An amazing book about the Star Trek universe. Really intense, entertaining and effective.
Eugene
Arguably the best Klingon-centered story in the Star Trek universe.
Nichelle
Still a favorite, no matter how many times I read it.
Carrie
Carrie added it
Nov 13, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Tokeli
Tokeli marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Viv Wright
Viv Wright marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Daniel Joseph
Daniel Joseph marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Victoria Mitchell
Victoria Mitchell marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
  • Trill and Bajor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Vol. 2)
  • Unity (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • Lesser Evil (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 4)
  • The Dominion and Ferenginar (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #3)
  • Cardassia and Andor (Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #1)
  • Cathedral (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, #3)
  • This Gray Spirit (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 2)
  • Warpath (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • The Lives of Dax
  • A Stitch in Time
  • Fearful Symmetry (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #66)
  • Section 31: Abyss (Star Trek: Sector 31, #3)
  • Demons of Air and Darkness
  • Day of the Vipers (Star Trek Terok Nor Book 1)
  • The Fall of Terok Nor (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Millennium, #1)
John Garman "J. G." Hertzler is an American actor, well known in the Star Trek community for his role on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (DS9) as the Klingon General (and later Chancellor) Martok. He is presently a Resident Professional Teaching Associate at Cornell University in Ithaca, NY.
More about J.G. Hertzler...
The Left Hand of Destiny, Book Two (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)