Start by marking “Empty Mile” as Want to Read:
Empty Mile

Empty Mile

When Johnny Richardson returns to Oakridge he has one thing on his mind--correcting a terrible mistake that caused him to flee his hometown eight years ago. Revisiting the past, though, is a dark and dangerous game in small-town America. When a careless sexual episode leads to the suicide of the town’s first lady, Johnny finds himself the target of a revenge campaign that ...more
Published July 1st 2010 by Akashic Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Empty Mile, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Empty Mile

Karl
Mar 16, 2016 Karl marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This is copy number 47 of 85 signed numbered copies, signed by Matthew Stokoe.
Hudson
Oct 01, 2014 Hudson rated it really liked it
Aha! Just as I suspected.....Matthew Stockoe is a "real" author.

I say (type) that because the first book I read by Stokoe was Cows. Cows routinely makes lists such as "Most Depraved Work of Fiction" or "Most Disgusting..." etc, and it truly was an incredibly horrific story filled with the most awful scenes I have ever read. I initially thought Cows would be some sophomoric gross out story that sought only to offend people and in some ways it was. But I thought I detected some real writing in the
ABC Group
Jul 01, 2010 ABC Group rated it it was ok
Matthew Stokoe’s new novel is quite a departure from his previous work, High Life. Much more subdued and not nearly as shocking, Empty Mile tells the tale of Johnny Richardson, a man seeking reconciliation from his past transgressions. Upon his return home, Johnny finds out that making up for past sins is an exercise in futility. His life, and the lives of those he has affected, have changed too much in his 8 year departure for there to be a clean break with the past.

What’s striking is the norm
Jason Pettus
Apr 28, 2010 Jason Pettus rated it liked it

So I have to confess, it took an unusually large number of pages before I started sincerely really getting into the latest novel from our friends at Akashic Books, Matthew Stokoe's Empty Mile, because of it starting with a whole series of tropes endemic to a genre (noir) that I'm simply not a big fan of; a
Kurt Reichenbaugh
Nov 24, 2010 Kurt Reichenbaugh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: noir
Johnny returns home after a self-imposed exile and picks up right where he left off with his old girlfriend Marla and his malicious friend Gareth. Once again, Johnny is led into a lake of guilt he thought he could escape from. Voyeurism, blackmail and murder ensue. The theme of the damaged protagonist returning home to a pastoral town seething with corruption has been around from Blue City to Blue Velvet. If you like that type of story you'll like this one. Highly recommended.
Michael Seidlinger
Jun 07, 2012 Michael Seidlinger rated it liked it
Stokoe enters different territory with his latest book. Thankfully, it's refreshing enough while still containing the grit and grime we've come to expect from his work.

Not his best, but worth a read if you enjoyed Cows and High Life.
Maddy
Sep 13, 2010 Maddy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010-reads
PROTAGONIST: Johnny Richardson
RATING: 3.75

They say you can never go home again, and maybe things would have turned out better if Johnny Richardson had heeded that advice. He’s spent the last eight years in London but finds he needs to return to the life he left behind so that he can make up for all the damage he caused before his departure. While on a trip to a lake with his brother and girlfriend, he succumbed to sexual desire and left Stan on his own. Stan entered the water and drowned, with J
L
Sep 09, 2010 L rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
I almost abandoned this one, not because it isn't good, but because it is too good. Stokoe writes powerfully of bleak lives. The characters make no choices other than wrong choices, except, perhaps, for Stan. None the less, I couldn't help but care for and about them. When I first picked up this novel, I just couldn't continue to watch their train-wreck lives. You have to be in a relatively strong place for a novel like this; it is beyond noir.

It isn't only the land called Empty Mile that is emp
Andrew Nolan
Apr 08, 2016 Andrew Nolan rated it it was ok
I finished this purely on the basis of the immense amount of goodwill Stokoe's previous two books have generated in me.

That this is nothing like either of those two books is not the issue, i think God Jr is one of Dennis Cooper's best books. Empty Mile is overly long with much time spent on gold panning (thrilling...), businesses selling plants and being responsible for the upkeep of those plants (thrilling...), and in combination with the main female character being a paper-thin shit-magnet who
Linda
Oct 30, 2010 Linda rated it did not like it
I'm not sure if I should review this book since I only read 144 of the 391 pages. I'm not sure how I came to pick up this book. The story line is a man returning home after leaving home because of a trauma. While he was having sex with his girlfriend in the woods his brother came close to drowning. His brother ended up with brain damage after this. So now he's back and the first time he has sex with this same girl they are paid by a man to let him watch and masturbate. Come on, who would do this ...more
John
Mar 30, 2012 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As much as I consider myself a fan of dark books, this one was ultimately unrewarding.
While the baser aspects of human nature should never be surprising when they emerge, in this book it seems as if pretty much every character
is twisted into pyscho-sexual pretzels. Sounds good, right? The problem is the protagonist. He's wracked by guilt at having left home 8 years earlier
and upon his return, the elements of his past that he'd been running from are waiting. Waiting and pissed. And perverted. Aga
Julie
Sep 17, 2011 Julie rated it really liked it
I had never read a noir before, and the premise sounded interesting. Wow. Dark. As I read it, hoping against hope that things would turn out all right for these characters that I found I couldn't help caring for, I kept reminding myself that it was a noir.....so it wasn't going to be peaches and cream. I did enjoy the book, the writing was good, I got sucked into the whole plot--the treasure hunt, the need for redemption. But, I like a happy ending, so I don't know that I will pursue this author ...more
Mike Kazmierczak
Jan 16, 2015 Mike Kazmierczak rated it really liked it
I first heard of Matthew Stokoe due to his novel COWS which was supposed to violent, bloody, gritty and an instant cult classic. In the search of that book, I first found EMPTY MILE and, of course, had to get it. While not violent, bloody or gritty, EMPTY MILE was still intriguing and very gripping. The characters and the story were both interesting and compelling.

Johnny Richardson returns to his home town of Oakridge in an effort to make up for a terrible mistake that in turn caused him to flee
Thomas
Aug 17, 2010 Thomas rated it liked it
Matthew Stokoe's third novel Empty Mile takes on a different tone than his other two previous works (Cows and High Life). While written in a similar noir style that High Life used, Empty Mile takes place in a rural setting focusing on Johnny as he returns to his small hometown from a self-imposed exile and tries to make amends.
With Cows and High Life Stokoe almost bludgeoned the reader with scene after scene of heinous acts of sex and violence, Empty Mile takes on a noticeably more subdued ap
Mldgross
Feb 16, 2017 Mldgross rated it liked it
A blah book. I didn't mind the story. It kept me fairly interested. But the character's conflicts were annoying and unrealistic.
JuniperGreen
Aug 07, 2016 JuniperGreen rated it it was ok
Shelves: cover-love, ku, noir
Well, lookie there, if he lets go of all the infantile shock-effects, Stokoe is capable of writing some serious noir.

Empty Mile is a much more mature book than Cows. If COWS is the toddler who just mastered his potty training and now proudly presents his poo, Empty Mile is the angsty teenager dreaming of big business while drowning in shame and guilt.

Unfortunately, Empty Mile is also incredibly boring.

It's not completely deprived of depravity, and it all comes down to a nasty end. But till then
Mike
Apr 25, 2012 Mike rated it liked it
I'm torn about how many stars to give this, and if I could I guess I'd probably give it three-and-a-half stars. It's a very powerful book in many ways, with a lot of focus on the nature of guilt and the heavy consequences it can have on lives lived under the shadow of it. It suggests that sometimes trying to correct the wrongs of the past can be an exercise in futility. It takes a strong stomach to get through some of what happens to some of the characters the reader comes to care about. Near th ...more
Dayton
Jan 13, 2016 Dayton rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned
I'm not sure how this found its way into my Amazon wish list, as I'm not a mystery reader and never heard of Stokoe before. But since it was there, I grabbed it as I tend to do with wish-list books on sale, and dove in.

Abandoned at chapter 29. I get it, it's noir. So very very depressingly, at times disgustingly noir. Here at the halfway mark, we have a poverty of likable characters of any substance. Major characters with any initial depth and sympathetic qualities actually seem to lose depth as
Scott Bagley
Aug 09, 2012 Scott Bagley rated it liked it
This book was right up the middle for me. I've been on a real heavy noir kick, and I tried this one, my first by this author. It was really close to being both outstanding and mediocre. Some of it - maybe it was just me - felt a little, uh, soap-operalike. Other parts were some of the most heartfelt and sorrowful I've read in a long, long time. Parts of it dragged and didn't seem to drive the plot, all the while knowing that there was some pretty basic parts of the plot that needed driving. I kn ...more
Susan Coleman
Jun 23, 2012 Susan Coleman rated it it was ok
The cover blurb from Michael Connelly reads, "Beautifully written and deeply gripping." I found it to be neither. Each and every character was so deeply flawed (especially the rapist, rabbit killing, brow-beater of the mentally challenged, revenge obsessed Jeremy Tripp) to be thoroughly unbelievable and unrelateable. One of the key elements in fiction writing is that every weak character must have some strength, every evil baddy have some positive element to his character and good guy have some ...more
Elaine
Aug 29, 2012 Elaine rated it liked it
I think that this book was well written-but hideously depressing. As bleak as anything I have ever read. While I prefer my mysteries on the dark side, this one was to much for me.

Michael Connelly has a comment on the cover, and that is why I picked it up. There is no way I would suggest that anyone read this book. While reading it, I was wondering why one or more of the characters didn't kill themselves. Not a good thought while you are trying to concentrate on the story!
Tuck
Jul 26, 2010 Tuck rated it liked it
noir in northern California, this is a solid, though perhaps overly long novel of people from a small town. it may be slow in small towns but memories are long, and tend to fester. this is stokoe's novel of small town festering. Author became famous for his "high Life" noir novel. and he has a new one coming out in 2011 called "Cows", a noir about usa beef and slaughter industry. Ken Bruen and Dennis Cooper and Janet Fitch blurbed the author, but not really this particular title.
Dan Billings
Nov 09, 2010 Dan Billings rated it really liked it
Ironically, I finished this book while watching Twin Peaks. Similar to the first few episodes I have watched, Empty Mile is about the dark side of a small town that wraps around a hunt for wealth and happiness. This book was interesting enough, but definitely not the greatest thriller I have read. The characters were intriguing and smug. I may try to find other works by the author.
William Prystauk
Jul 05, 2012 William Prystauk rated it really liked it
Though not as strong or as compelling as "Cows" and "High Life", this is a decent thriller. What amazes one most is how Stokoe creates characters that the reader will despise so completely, the audience can't wait for them to perish.
John Mccaffray
Mar 10, 2014 John Mccaffray rated it liked it
Started off well, but I felt it descended into quite unbelievable scenarios. One more depraved than the next. I found it hard to believe the main character could experience such things without going ballistic. Story just seemed to fade off at the end.
Melanie  Hilliard
Aug 13, 2010 Melanie Hilliard rated it it was ok
Leading man cannot escape sins of the past. Okay, I can live with it. *** spoiler alert: the girl you left behind becomes a hooker and is sexually humiliated through out the book because her loser boyfriend left her. Really, it's too much of a stretch for me.
Erin
Sep 06, 2010 Erin rated it it was ok
Having never read a "noir" book, I didn't know what I was getting into....basically the story line was incredibly depressing, and not a single character had much redeeming about them.
Joseph
May 28, 2012 Joseph rated it did not like it
Why on earth did I finish this? noir cliche piled on noir cliche with some of the stupidest characters ever to walk the earth. just ... horrific.
Kathy Gange
Oct 07, 2016 Kathy Gange rated it it was amazing
I enjoy this book. Never read a book written by this author.
Munki
Jan 02, 2016 Munki rated it liked it
This lacked the appalling depravity which made High Life so enjoyable. There was hints of it but never fully realised. A decent story but the main characters were all highly irritating and weak.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Vaults
  • Internecine
  • The Weight
  • Dope Thief
  • Phoenix Noir
  • The Brush-Off: A Hair-Raising Mystery
  • A Touch of Death (Hard Case Crime #17)
  • Angel Interrupted
  • Stop This Man! (Hard Case Crime #58)
  • Robin and Ruby
  • Motherhood is Murder (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #2)
  • Noir
  • Spade & Archer: The Prequel to Dashiell Hammett's The Maltese Falcon
  • The Replacement Child (Gil Montoya Mystery #1)
  • The Black Minutes
  • Fletch's Fortune (Fletch, #3)
  • The Nanny Murders (A Zoe Hayes Mystery #1)
  • In the Shadow of the Cypress