Start by marking “Dark Avengers: Siege” as Want to Read:
Dark Avengers: Siege

Dark Avengers: Siege (Dark Avengers)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  389 ratings  ·  30 reviews
After years of mystery, the secrets of the Sentry are revealed! How deep is his madness and who is really in control of him? What is the limit of his power, if any? And what deadly mystery surrounds him causing mortals and gods to tremble in fear? Also, Captain Marvel aka Marvel Boy found out he was surrounded by madmen and villains and ran for the hills. But no one gets o ...more
Hardcover, Premiere HC, 136 pages
Published September 22nd 2010 by Marvel (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Avengers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Avengers

Marvel’s Dark Reign crossover event, where the bad guys find themselves in the driver’s seat, was a great idea on the drawing board, but the problem with any crossover event, no matter what company is doing them, is you have some writers who have a difficult time (lack of interest, anger, talent limitations) incorporating the event into their ongoing story lines. Consequently, the company wide storyline as a whole, suffers.

Thankfully, this isn’t the case with Brian Michael Bendis. He acknowledge
Collecting the "Dark Avengers: Annual" and the last 4 issues of the book's run (#s 13-16), "SIEGE: Dark Avengers" answers many questions that fans of the series might have: What happened to Noh-Varr after he left, how the Sentry got his powers, also *WHAT*, exactly, is the Sentry, and lastly: what happened to the Dark Avengers at the end of Siege.

I really liked this book. Not only for all the questions it answered, but in the way it answered them: with great dialogue, exciting action sequences
This was a major missing piece to the Siege Event for me. I also liked getting some more info on major players who were either not paid attention to or who seemed lost. The story on Capt. Marvel (Noh-Varr) was very enjoyable and explained why he was there at the beginning and then gone just as quickly. Look forward to reading some of his adventures as The Protector.
Also really liked having someone FINALLY explain the Sentry and what the hell was going on there, since he was just destroying every
The probing of the psyches of all these larger-than-life characters is what makes Bendis' writing such compelling reading. Sentry/Osborn story arc over the last year or two is some of the best writing I've ever seen, and Deodato's art more than stands up to the challenge of exceeding my expectations of how to fully render the majesty of the work.

Gravitas. Surprises. Totally understand the characters and the world they live in.
Brian Dickerson
I miss the Dark Avengers already. Bullseye is always entertaining in an evil twisted way. And Moonstone is hot! And... Did I just admit a comic book character was hot? Anyway, I loved the Noh-Varr story. I would have probably gone 5 stars if the book had not included the Sentry :)
Patrick Caldwell
What happens when a bunch of arrogant criminals try their hand at being the Avengers? Well... this apparently. Bendis provides good look at Norman Osborn as the new leader of Shield, but the other members of this anti-team kind of get lost in the shuffle. The first three parts of the story flow rather well, but the fourth part, which is the series ending annual, is obviously inserted after many events had happened in other Marvel titles. It didn't really fit. And what is with The Sentry characte ...more
Well, like most tie-in books to some big Marvel event, this collection was rather disjointed, and you have to buy at least one more book (the main event, Siege) to make sense of what is going on in this book. I'm getting kind of tired of this ploy, especially since Siege wasn't all that great in the first place.

I did like seeing the Sentry's "real" background, finally, which was kind of along the lines of what I thought it would be. And Noh-Varr is an interesting character; I hope to see more of
Wow! This was way better than I expected! It was dark, funny, and filled in gaps (gaps, I wasn't even aware of) that Siege left behind. Reading this was like reading the flip side of Siege, so make sure and have it handy when you go into this one. I recommend it to anyone who has been following the Avengers stories for the last year or so. Extremely entertaining!
The stories are a jumble of tie-ins to the major "Siege" storyline, so they don't really make a cohesive book and they don't flow as a single story. Bendis is a great writer, but I don't think Marvel chose a great format to publish these stories in. And I'm usually not a fan of breaking up titles into combo books, but this just flat-out doesn't stand on its own.
This collections ends the "Dark Avengers" run, and while it allows some of the great dialogue and twisted character interaction that Bendis is so well known for, the stories are a jumble of tie-ins to the major "Siege" storyline, so that while they make sense in that context, they don't flow as a single story.

Also, this volume involves Bendis finally revealing the secrets of "Bob" the Sentry... the infinitely powerful super who was "retro'd" into Marvel continuity some years ago... a near god-l
One of the most innovative parts of the Siege event, for me, was the supervillains disguised as superheroes - Dark Avengers. This Siege tie-in follows that group in and around Siege, even recounting events already seen but from a slightly different perspective (e.g. Doom's attack at Avengers tower). While it felt somewhat incomplete, due to a couple of dangling storylines, it was still very enjoyable. Evil can be so much fun in the Marvel universe.

The book opens with No-Varr, a Kree warrior recr
Reprints Dark Avengers (1) #13-16 and Annual #1 (February 2010-July 2010). Norman Osborn’s Avengers are falling apart. Captain Marvel (aka Marvel Boy) is questioning Osborn’s leadership and is seen as a weak link by Fury and Captain America. Moonstone is flaunting her intelligence in Osborn’s face and constantly trying to undermine him. Osborn himself is slipping in and out of his Green Goblin persona and facing more and more pressure as he plots an invasion of Asgard. Osborn's biggest problem h ...more
The last volume of Bendis's Dark Avengers stories doesn't add much to the overall story, but at least I got to find out why Noh-Varr was wearing a different outfit during Avengers vs. X-Men. And why Sentry went even more batshit crazy.

On the other hand I kind of want to forget the whole Siege story. What a mess.
Eh? What happened?

The Dark Avengers is going along all swimmingly and all of a sudden it's all over.

The conclusion seems to be taking place in the main Siege book which leaves this ending really disjointed.
Dec 03, 2012 Patric rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: rwr
This book was extremely, extraordinarily ok. Brian Michael Bendis is a amazing writer and I love all of his works, but, this one doesn't make that much sense when you haven't read Siege. Other than that, the book had great character development, especially with No-varr and Sentry. The beginning confused me by starting off with No-varr but it truly was an interesting and unexpected twist. Also the scene with the Sentry's wife was even more shocking than the consequences of her actions. Seeing the ...more
Enjoyed the twists and the turns. Could have been better but hey
Artemiy Nizovtsev
Even without reading the main Siege event, this book is still awesome. Neatly wrapping all the ongoing plot lines of the first two volumes, this book concludes the Dark Avengers run. It was a great, absolutely broken, insane and crazy team. I loved every moment of it.
Holden Attradies
I found that I highly enjoyed this even though I haven't read the main Siege book. The Dark Avengers where incredibly interesting and I think above all I was sad to see the series end after such a short run.

The art in this volume was good, the dialog great, and I enjoyed the way it played out as a series of one shots. Having different characters get to have the spot light one at a time makes for a great read in book like this that centers on so many characters.
Norman Osborn decides to attack Thor’s home with the help of the Sentry and various reformed villains.

This book focuses on the Sentry and will address many of the questions readers may have after reading ‘Siege’.

An excellent edition which compliments the first Siege book very well.

Includes the Sentry’s origin story.

Learning Curve
Low: If read in order

Reading Order
Siege: Dark Avengers
Siege: Avengers – The Initiative
Other Siege titles
This volume fleshes out the events of Marvel’s Siege storyline rather than being a complete work in itself. Although story-wise things generally made sense and there were some good moments, I am unsure whether I like the significant changes that Marvel made to Noh-Varr and the Sentry.
Apr 19, 2013 Soňa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Soňa by: Boris
Oki, bit clearer than Siege New Avengers. Still not keen on Sentry even tho his wife shouldn't die. Was somehow strange jumping from one to another and than not closing it fully.... But as I said bit more clearer than other book but still not good.
Aldrin Velázquez
I really enjoy this part of Dark Avengers, the history of the relation between Osborn and Sentry was awesome and all this was complemented with a great job in the drawing...
Awesome, dark, fun writing! And with superb artwork, (for the most part.)

I am sorry to see this story-line end!
Bob Parks
You can only root for the bad guys for so long. Norman's long awaited break down was worth the wait.
Shannon Appelcline
A fine ending to the series, with great coverage of Captain Marvel, the Sentry, and the aftermath of Siege.
Interesting ending to the Dark Avengers, Sentrys story is shocking and moving.
John Ekleberry
So sad to see Dark Avengers end... long live Osborn!
Individual issues on marvel unlimited
So THAT'S what happened to Sentry...
2.5. Review later.
  • Secret Avengers by Rick Remender, Vol. 3
  • House of M: Spider-Man
  • Secret Avengers Vol. 1: Mission to Mars
  • Avengers: Endless Wartime

More about Brian Michael Bendis...

Dark Avengers (4 books)