Start by marking “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow ” as Want to Read:
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
Read Book* *Different edition

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  24,506 ratings  ·  1,419 reviews
Tor Classics are affordably-priced editions designed to attract the young reader. Original dynamic cover art enthusiastically represents the excitement of each story. Appropriate "reader friendly" type sizes have been chosen for each title--offering clear, accurate, and readable text. All editions are complete and unabridged, and feature Introductions and Afterwords.

This e
Published January 15th 1991 by Tor Classics (first published 1820)

To ask other readers questions about The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, please sign up.

Arlissa Vaughn Since Washington Irving is no longer living, I doubt we'll get a response here...unless he is the Headless Horseman himself and decides to give us a…moreSince Washington Irving is no longer living, I doubt we'll get a response here...unless he is the Headless Horseman himself and decides to give us a visit ;)(less)

Though I've seen the movie versions countless times and listened to Bing Crosby croon about Brom Bones every Halloween for decades, this was my first time reading the story and it was MAGICAL!

I really enjoyed Irving's style. His descriptions paint joyful pictures without being too wordy or grandiose. The passages about Icabod's boundless appetite and his lust for Katrina's huge...tracts of land are priceless.

Reading this story has given me a new appreciation for Irving. My goals now are:

1) Read
Carole (Carole's Random Life)
I loved the narration of this story. Tom Mison (the actor from the Sleepy Hollow television show) narrates this book and I could seriously listen to his voice all day long. Unfortunately, I didn't liked the actual story as much as I thought I would. I really wish the story was a bit darker and less descriptive.

I would give the narration 5 stars and the story 3 stars so I'm going with 4 stars overall. I grabbed this audiobook for free from audible a while ago and it appears that it is no longer f
Ichabod Crane goes for a wild ride.

Washington Irving first published The Legend of Sleepy Hollow in 1820. Besides being an iconic story and a fine example of early American literature, this is also a revealing historic illustration of life in the Dutch portions of early nineteenth century New York. We get to spend some time with the corpulent and satisfied Dutch farmers and glimpse early American culture.

Irving’s language is typical of narrative fiction from his time, but is also resplendent as
Melissa  Jeanette
I really enjoyed this book. After having just watched the Johny Depp movie version, I was surprised to find the book had almost nothing in common.

I read it mostly at night and I enjoyed the spooky moments (though I admit my idea of spooky is pretty low on the scale for some). Ichabod is mildly detestable as a character; he seems like he has all the foundational qualities to make a wonderful villain, were this another story. I laughed at his envisioning the Van Tassel's animals as sumptuously co
First of all, this right here is the most cruel thing an author has ever done to his/her character:
"He was tall, but exceedingly lank, with narrow shoulders, long arms and legs, hands that dangled a mile out of his sleeves, feet that might have served for shovels, and his whole frame most loosely hung together. His head was small, and flat at top, with huge ears, large green glassy eyes, and a long snip nose, so that it looked like a weathercock perched upon his spindle neck to tell which way t
I really wanted to like this story but it definitely wasn't my cup of tea. Honestly, I found the story boring. The author spent too much time on description, so the story was quite slow and it dragged. I was also really disappointed with the end. I expected that the ending will scare me at least a little but, but it didn't. The story ended pretty abruptly, and now that I've finished it, I'm glad it did. Even though this was a pretty short story, it sure felt like a long one.

Now I'm off to see t
Tadiana ✩ Night Owl☽

I thought this story and I were Meant To Be.

A few days ago I read and reviewed Washington Irving's other famous story, Rip Van Winkle. And then I read The Fold, which has this exchange between a high school student and his teacher in the first few pages:
“Ichabod Crane isn’t really the hero of ‘The Legend of Sleepy Hollow’.”

“He’s, like, the British. You told us that when you said we couldn’t just watch the TV show to learn the story. You said that sometimes the bad guy is right there

Illustrated by Robert Van Nutt

“The Legend of Sleepy Hollow” is another fantastic story from Rabbit Ears’ “Storybook Classic” series. Everyone knows the famous story of Icabod Crane and his encounter with the Headless Horseman. “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow” is one of the greatest stories ever created by Washington Irving and with Glenn Close’s haunting narration along with Tim Story’s eerie music and Robert Van Nutt’s beautiful yet haunting illustrations makes this one classic that no one will
Reading this classic short story by Washington Irvin really, truly 'cleansed the palate', as some book reviewers would put it. After reading mainly contemporary fiction, it was a breath of fresh air to read a classic piece of literature.

Some years ago, I saw the film adaptation of this book by Tim Burton, with Johnny Depp (who else? Say “Tim Burton” and the next name should be “Johnny Depp”) in the lead role of Ichabod Crane. Although the writers of the movie took certain liberties with respect
I was happy to spot Audible giving away a copy of this classic for free. Unfortunately that is where my happiness ended. This was a very disappointing story. I have been left with a new appreciation for the Johnny Depp movie version of Sleepy Hollow. It's a wonder they got a half decent movie from the source material.

The writing was a bit flowery for my taste. Too much time spent on description and not enough time spent on the storytelling or dialogue. The story itself was a bit of a bore.

Ichabod Crane’s life had been one of calm occurrence – day in and day out; his life was the same. But the meeting of a lovely young woman by the name of Katrina Van Tassel meant he was sure she would one day become his wife. But she had another vying for her attentions – Brom Bones.

The night of great revelry at her father’s home - with dancing, eating and drinking – Ichabod was sure he would be betrothed by night’s end. But on returning home his mind wouldn’t stop dwelling on the stories of the
Script Research

I am researching possibly shows for my upcoming season. This one has potential!

Mandy Crider
Spooky concept and one of my favorite legends. The story was a bit too descriptive for me, but I will always love it!
Yes, I've seen the cartoon versions of this story....I have not seen the Johnny Depp movie, which this friend keeps telling me I need to see......

I read a simplified version, picture book to my students for 31 years of teaching,and they loved it.

Then I realized I'd not actually read the original Irving using I downloaded it onto my Nook,and read the whole thing this past evening.....the story was very familiar, of course, but the language Irving used...the way he t
I read this in one sitting at a neighbourhood library because it was recommended to me by a Librarian. She told me it was good and so I read it. I still remember reading the revised edition (Bo Hampton) of this when I was like 9-ish years old and it was so good! But this version... was not for me. I would try and read it again though.
For most classics that I read it is easy to discern how they have stood the test of time and attain their classic status. However, a few titles, like Moby-Dick; or, The Whale and Three Men in a Boat hold little or no appeal to me at all, and why would anybody want to read them is beyond me. I am consigning The Legend of Sleepy Hollow to the “not for me” pile (though I am careful not disrespect any classics because they are still being read more than a hundred years after first publication, just ...more
Always wanted to read this classic tale of Sleepy Hollow and Ichabod Crane and it didn't disappoint except that it is just too short. Loved it though.
So good. Haunting and whimsical. Tom Mison has the perfect voice and intonation for this story (because he is Ichabod Crane). Although the story is told in third-person, Mison remains in character from start to finish as the Ichabod Crane he plays in the show Sleepy Hollow. So if you like him in the show, then listening to him read the story is exactly like having Ichabod recount the story of his life in Sleepy Hollow.

For the complete review and more, visit
Coos Burton

Hermoso. Evoca sentimientos muy agradables que no puedo explicar, me trae a la mente imágenes de una velada junto con otros entusiastas de los cuentos de fantasmas que narran historias espectrales, incluso vivencias escalofriantes, todo alrededor de la luz de una tenue vela que alarga las sombras fantasmagóricas de los invitados. Sí, así me hace viajar éste gran libro. No cabe duda de que es una historia ideal para cualquier evento de Halloween, no puede faltar el clásico de aquél hórrido jinete
WTF did I just read?!
colleen the fabulous fabulaphile

My first exposure to the story was the Disney cartoon version, which I always enjoyed as a kid.

And then there was Burton's version, which I knew differed from the story, but I didn't really know how or to what extent, since I'd never read the story.

And so when I came across it while browsing free downloads from amazon, I decided to get it.

It was a quick read, being so short, but there were also a few places where I skimmed, as the author went into great detail about the types of trees he was
Passable, at best. An example of dubious American romanticism with just a bit of moralistic touch.
Anyway, now I know that almost all names of main characters in Sleepy Hollow series are taken from this short story, even though not the story itself.

Nice ring, the name of Ichabod Crane, but that's about all. The plot, the style are mediocre, the irony, as can be seen in the quote below, of an arguable quality:

"...he would have passed a pleasant life of it, in despite of the Devil and all his works
Jason Parent
I remember reading this and reading this as a kid, and I loved it. I got this for free as an Audiobook on Audible and, well, it has lost some of its magic. The story is 75% description and 25% plot. And that might be me being generous. Some of it is redundant description - the atmosphere of sleepy hollow, the path to the church, etc. all explained twice in much the same manner. Long Long long ass lists of food items and clothing. Admittedly, some of the description was humorous.

What I liked most
Me gustó y me gustó la narración, pero el autor se regodea un poco en las descripciones. Solo en las últimas doce páginas pasa algo, si bien disfruto de una historia bien descrita y esta tiene algo de adorable, llega un punto en el que cincuenta páginas de descripción y absolutamente nada de trama te aburre un poco.
Rating: 3.5

I'll be honest, the reason I ever downloaded this, my first audiobook, is entirely because of its narrator: Tom Mison. While I do not watch the Sleepy Hollow TV show, I found myself swooning for Mr. Mison after watching him in Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. Let me tell you that his narrative voice is just as dreamy as he is on screen. The story itself was very different than I expected, having only been exposed to the Johnny Depp version of Sleepy Hollow. There was a lot of food and flo
Erika B. (Snogging on Sunday Books)
Perfect scary story! I love the part where it says ..."and he would have passed a pleasant life of it, in despite of the Devil and all his works, if his path had not been crossed by a being that causes more perplexity to mortal man than ghosts, goblins, and the whole race of witches put together, and that was-a woman." Poor Ichabod Crane!
Althea Ann
Strange as it may be to tell, I don't think I'd ever actually read this before. I would've sworn that I had. Of course, I knew the story... but nope, the language and details were all fresh and new to be. And that was a pleasant (if bewildering) surprise! Because - what language! This is a beautifully told tale, and a true pleasure to read. Irving can really turn a phrase, and the story is surprisingly humorous.
I enjoyed this. There wasn't much dialogue or scenes as in modern literature, but it was no less pleasurable. Before the encounter with the horseman, I laughed out loud several times. Ichabod is quite a character. The funniest part, I thought, showed Ichabod riding on a gallant horse and he a knight-like rider - in his mind. In reality he was riding a shaggy old slouched horse with a bad eye. I also love the ending. You don't know what truly happened to Ichabod so you feel like one of the local ...more
  • Click-Clack the Rattlebag
  • I, Vampire, Vol. 3: Wave of Mutilation
  • Soldier's Home
  • Present at a Hanging and Other Ghost Stories
  • Cinderella
  • Gulliver's Travels (Classic Starts Series)
  • The Alchemist
  • The Sleeping Beauty
  • A Dog's Tale
Washington Irving was an American author, essayist, biographer and historian of the early 19th century. He began his literary career at the age of nineteen by writing newspaper articles under the pseudonym, "Jonathan Oldstyle."

In 1809, he published, The History of New York, under his most well known public persona, Diedrich Knickerbocker.

Irving is best known for his short stories, "The Legend of
More about Washington Irving...

“I profess not to know how women's hearts are wooed and won. To me they have always been matters of riddle and admiration.” 107 likes
“ All these, however, were mere terrors of the night, phantoms of the mind that walk in darkness; and though he had seen many spectres in his time, and been more than once beset by Satan in divers shapes, in his lonely pre-ambulations, yet daylight put an end to all these evils; and he would have passed a pleasent life of it, in despite of the devil and all his works, if his path had not been crossed by a being that causes more perplexity to mortal man than ghosts, goblins, and the whole race of witches put together, and that was - a woman.” 43 likes