Start by marking “Still Waters” as Want to Read:
Still Waters

Still Waters

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  3,706 ratings  ·  144 reviews
The deepest waters hide the darkest secrets....

When the body of a murdered man literally falls at Elizabeth Stuart's feet, she's able to wash away the blood--but not the terror. Unwelcome newcomers to Still Creek, Minnesota, she and her troubled teenage son are treated with suspicion by the locals, including the sheriff. Yet nothing will stop her from digging beneath the t
Published December 30th 2003 by Bantam (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Still Waters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Still Waters

Bruno
Este foi o primeiro livro que decidi experimentar a autora Tami Hoag. Foi a elucidação da capa e também a sinopse que me deixaram algo curioso. Imaginava que esta autora fosse como a Patrícia MacDonald ou a Mary Higgins Clark, e afinal não tem comparação com uma nem com a outra. O estilo de escrita é mais elástico, digamos mais descritivo.

Neste livro, a carga psicológica sobressai mais à carga policial que é quase nula, ou seja, a história centra-se mais propriamente nos personagens da cidade r
Andrea C.
Fabulous book if you love the court room/CSI type books like me. I also like that they add in just a little twist of romance to it. Not enough to make you wanna put it down and puke but just enough to keep you interested in that part of the story.
Annika
Tami Hoag is quickly becoming a favorite author. I like a shivery, suspenseful murder mystery without being bogged down with details and gore. (I'll save Kay Scarpetta for the best medical examiner ever, though...).

I don't think "Still Waters" is part of any series, like her Elena Estes series or the Bayou Breaux series (both are worth a read).

Elizabeth Stuart is a twice-divorced Texan who has gone from poor to rich back to poor and has packed up her life (after her rich second-ex-husband shredd
Kyrie
I didn't finish it. I gave it my 10% try - I read 10% of the story. While the mystery had promise, I didn't think I wanted to wade through another 400+ pages of people being in bed with people they can't stand just because they have an itch to scratch I got the point that the heroine is from a bit city and had also lived in rough and tumble Texas (which is nothing like Amish Minnesota where no one locks their doors, and nothing ever happens)therefore, she will have insights that the locals will ...more
Jerri Brissette
Too much romance/sexual tension between main characters, not enough crime. Again, the perpetrator was pretty obvious. This book is from 1992. Happily, her stories and writing style have improved since then.
Cara
I'm not even sure if this is the specific Tami Hoag novel I've read- I've read a few. But just take this plot line and change titles and authors and I've probably read a few dozen of these types of books over the years. It's what my mom reads most of the time and so by default, I get handed the leftovers and I read them too. They are mildly entertaining, but after about one hundred or so of the same thing- usually some detective falls in love with the female victim and now they both have to come ...more
Dorsi
This was a possible 3 1/2 stars. It was a bit on the predictable fluffy side. The character development was pretty decent. The twist wasn't bad...it was a good idea although I figured it out long before it was revealed. One thing that grated on my nerves a bit was the main character's use of the term of endearment "sugar". I realize she was southern but she ran it in the ground a bit. I listened to this one and the narration was fantastic.
Christine Blachford
Plot: Elizabeth is new in town and isn’t well liked, as she’s a reporter. She manages to get herself mixed up in a murder, her son is becoming a tearaway and she can’t help but fall for the charming sheriff despite her desire to keep herself to herself.

Characters: Elizabeth is actually quite a complex character. I found the romance aspect of her life refreshing, as she didn’t just fall into the arms of the sheriff, even though it seems obvious that they will end up together.

Style Of Writing: The
Hyderali Shaikh
I don't know why other reviewers here didn't like this book but I felt very good & happy after reading it. I know this book is not the best work from Tami but not the worst also. One thing is for sure, you have to keep dictionary besides you while reading this book because there are so many jargon words which you may not understand. Which is good for someone (like me) who wants to read & understand the meaning of difficult words.

Also, the book is much on thinking rather than on dialogue
Donna Callejon
Picked this 20 yr old book off the shelf at our annual beach vacation house. It grabbed me and I read to the end...and I will say it was well written from a grammar standpoint. If you like cromance (emphasis on the romance intentional) you might like this.

I don't know if Tamil Hoag is known for ridiculous romance and sex in the midst of crime in small towns but if she is this book is true to form. The most interesting characters are the supporting ones since the two leads are so overdrawn.

If y
Robin
After moving with her teenage son to a small town in Minnesota, Elizabeth Stuart is shocked when she discovers a man murdered at a local construction site. Still Creek, nestled in the heart of Amish farmlands, hasn't seen a murder in years. The small town locals look at Elizabeth and her son with suspicion. Sheriff Dane Jantzen must find who committed the murder, and save Elizabeth from becoming the next victim.

Great romantic suspense with surprise ending! I never guessed whodunit. My rating: 5
Adrienne Campbell
I love books that make me think and this one kept me guessing right to the very end. Just when I thought I'd solved the mystery I was confronted with yet another twist in the plot. Great reading in my book!

Elizabeth Stuart and her son are not welcome in Still Creek, a small town in the heart of Amish country. They are both bogged down with all sorts of emotional baggage but not much in the way of physical resources. Although Elizabeth is recently divorced from a Texas millionaire she has nothing
Leah Coleman
When Elizabeth Stuart moves to the small town of Still Waters,she finds hersef embroiled in the first murder the town has seen in many a year. Jarold Jarvis has had his throat cut and Elizabeth just happens to be the one who stunbles across him. This certainly doesn't endear her to her already hostile neighbours,in fact it sets her up as suspect number 1. While Elizabeth sets out to find the truth all the while trying to control her wayward son,the local sheriff is reluctant to look past the 'ne ...more
L. Chambers-Wright
Maura
At this point, Tami Hoag started transitioning out of the romance plots. This is her first suspense-romance plot in which the sex is not graphic and probably closer to PG-13. The main character, the heroine Elizabeth starts out irritating as she's very materialistic and seems shallow. And that's the same impression the police chief has as well...but we eventually see that's not true. I still don't liker her all that much, as she's very brash and confrontational, but she does have a vulnerable si ...more
Marie
Murder, romance, thriller mystery set in Minnesota. A young woman from a poor family marries at a young age because of pregnancy to a man who doesn't want to be tied down, loses someone who cares about her, and marries a "prince charming" who makes her feel like Cinderella until she is replaced by someone else who can bring the "prince" more wealth; however, he publicly damages her reputation leaving her basically nothing. From rags to riches and back to rags again. She moves to Minnesota with h ...more
David Rasner
The deepest waters hide the darkest secrets....

Donna
Hoag was one of my fall-back writers for awhile, someone I read when Grafton, Paretsky, McBain, Cornwell, or any other first-rate writer in the general mystery/crime genre was not available. Her books are prolific; she cranks them out by the bundle, and why not? They're a lot alike (although not all set in Minnesota; more of them that I've seen have been set in the south).

The vocabulary level is set at the sixth grade level, easy enough for any member of John Q. Public to be able to peruse witho
Anita Fleming
Great mystery, so-so romance. I really love Tami Hoag's early romances and I am puzzled how an author who does romance so well and mystery so well, can't seem to blend to two in this book.

Elizabeth has been kicked to the curb by her SOB, rich ex-husband. She and her son land in Still Creek, MI and she buys the local paper. She also has to fend off everything with a dick due to the SOB ex and his lies during their media circus divorce. She finds the dead body of the town's wealthy sleaze and ever
Diane
I don't usually read mysteries and after reading this I know why. I found the characters unbelievable, the plot boring and the writing pretty awful. Not my genre. I only slogged through the book because I was on vacation, had finished the books I brought with and this was the only one available.
Chana
I've read this before and enjoyed it both then and now. You do have to kind of suspend reality to accept all the aspects of this story - but who cares. The love story is sweet and engaging, Tami Hoag knows how to create the necessary ingredients to make the reader feel the emotional tremors of the couple falling in love. In this case the couple is in their mid 30's, both with teenage kids, both with painful divorces in their past. They have to learn how to trust again and open up to the possibil ...more
Erica
I love murder mysteries but it always takes me a bit to get into Hoag books for some reason including this one. I figured out the villainsearly on so it dragged a bit. I was hoping I was wrong about Aaron being a killer and wasn't very happy about it.
Lesley
A big strong sheriff, a strong minded and tough damsel in distress all the ingredients for a great romance story. The crime is just the back drop. Of course you get the happy every after ending. the perfect way to while a way an afternoon.
Lindsey
I typically enjoy Tami Hoag's novels as they perfectly combine elements of mystery, suspense, romance, and drama. Still Waters was no exception.

Great female lead, so-so male protagonist (I just couldn't fall in love with him), perfect supporting characters to keep things interesting without stealing the show. The plot line wasn't entirely predictable - Hoag kept me uncomfortable in my assumptions - I changed my mind a few times with the twists encountered.

I recommend this as a quick read if you
Tabatha
I started this book several times and only got a couple of chapters in. finally I forced myself to try one lady time and I loved it. Once of the best books.
Lauren
I really enjoyed the first few Tami Hoag novels I read. I especially enjoyed the Kovac-Liska series. However, this book just didn't do it for me. I guess I was expecting a good mystery. This book kind of read like a romance to me.

I'm usually not into romantic suspense but Tami Hoag made the journey fun. It was kind of like getting the best of both worlds. Her books are always entertaining, I just found this one to be too slow. But I really did enjoy the characters - the love affair between her s
cbdef
Romance novel 101 - written in 1992, follows a Harlequin Romance plot from beginning to end. Seriously, not worth the time it took to finish book!
Sarah Jowett
I am pretty sure I already read this years ago as many parts were very familiar. Not a bad mystery plot but I really hate this "omg, I love him but I can't let him know" or "omg, I love him but I dont want to!" stuff.
Barbara Loggia
ok but not a strong story. typical woman moves away for new life, rebellious son, murder, new unwanted love etc etc. Not impressed.
William
A bit slow in places and somewhat contrived. Small town crime with some interesting characters and local color.
  • Twice Kissed
  • Long After Midnight
  • Always a Thief
  • Messiah
  • The Survivors Club
  • Blue Genes (Kate Brannigan, #5)
  • Colder than Ice (Mordecai Young, #2)
  • Kill and Tell (CIA Spies, #1)
  • Deep Down
  • Wild Justice (Amanda Jaffe, #1)
  • Charade
  • The Secret Sister
  • You Can't Hide (Romantic Suspense, #5)
  • The Magician's Tale
  • White Smoke
  • The Vanished Hands (Javier Falcon, #2)
#1 New York Times bestselling author Tami Hoag began her professional career writing for Bantam’s Loveswept line of romance novels. In 1988 her first novel, The Trouble With J.J. was published.

With fifteen consecutive New York Times bestsellers to her credit, Hoag has more than 35 million books in print, published in more than twenty languages worldwide. Her first thriller, Night Sins, was made i
More about Tami Hoag...
Ashes to Ashes (Kovac/Liska, #1) Secrets to the Grave (Oak Knoll, #2) Deeper Than the Dead (Oak Knoll, #1) Guilty as Sin  (Deer Lake #2) Prior Bad Acts (Kovac/Liska, #3)