Start by marking “How to Get What You Want and Want What You Have: A Practical and Spiritual Guide to Personal Success” as Want to Read:

Create The Life You Want

John Gray, the author of the Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus relationship classic, now presents a brilliantly innovative program for achieving personal success. The wisdom and techniques in these pages will enable you to feel greater joy, love, confidence, and peace.

Some Wise Words From How to Get What You Want and Want What You Have

Your exp
Published April 5th 2000 by Harper Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about How to Get What You Want and Want What You Have, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Get What You Want and Want What You Have

Judith Symonds
Dec 10, 2010 Judith Symonds is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sensitive people and parents of sensitive children
Recommended to Judith by: The Millionaires Reading List
I am 38 years old and quite often other people notice that I am sensitive. I am now only coming to terms with this myself & John Gray helped me. What most people comment about Gray's work is the 'love tanks'. This makes alot of sense to me. Too much of a good thing can be, well just 'too much' and my mother always taught me 'everything in moderation'. Great! However, what I had never really understood is that people who wear their heart on their sleeve or 'sensitive people' absorb much more ...more
Rosslyn
Aug 10, 2009 Rosslyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fabulous book for people that found themselves wanting more after reading Rhonda Byrnes "The Secret". John Gray teaches the reader how to be true to himself in order to achieve personal happiness.
Aisha B
May 08, 2013 Aisha B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book again reminded me of our Islam to appreciate everything we have. Loved that each page has the most important sentence highlighted so it reminds the reader of its importance. It's completed my read to the book "The Secret".
Riham
Aug 29, 2007 Riham is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ALL MY FRIENDS
FIRST THOUGHTS:
HOW BEAUTIFUL IS ISLAM!
the book s simply describing one of the main islamic concepts in our relation to ALLAH...
ALREDA!
the rest is to be posted ISA!
Catherine
Dec 14, 2013 Catherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book offers clear and concise guidance into how many of our blockages can be cleared.
As human beings we get blocked and emptied at different stages of our lives. be it in childhood teen years or in relationships, we all ge hurt at some stage.
In this book John Gray opens the mind body and spirit to the various options available to us, in order to create a balance in our lives and become healthy again.
Fear , trust, forgiveness and most of all unconditional LOVE are dealt with in a compassion
Jurgen
May 12, 2015 Jurgen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book really didn't work for me. The more I read, the more it seemed like completely hilarious BS. even got me laughing at some sections where I think you shouldn't be laughing. really making gun hands and shooting at plants. those poor innocent plants. what did they ever do to you.
off course if this book worked for you, great for you. I on the other hand do not belong to that group.
Carol
May 07, 2009 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked a few of the chapters that did not dwell on God. I learned that we all have several love tanks and when one is full it can change the way we interact with that person. We need to then switch to another love tank and try to keep them all in balance. An interesting concept.
Lisa
Mar 23, 2016 Lisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm doing the #READ100 a day challenge that Richard Denney mentioned about on his YouTube channel. It really is helping me get more reading done. I've read this book in three days and usually it takes me longer to read a book than that. This book was really easy for me to fly through though. It was understandable yet also very descriptive in the purpose of the soul message. I have read a few self help books this year and this one has got to be my favorite one. Even though I'm an agnostic and don ...more
Rebekah Sheppard
Feb 28, 2014 Rebekah Sheppard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: marriage
Excellent insight on how to move forward with past bad experiences.
Marie Christine
Oct 03, 2012 Marie Christine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not my kind of thing. Same mumbo jumbo as 'the secret'.
Sean
Oct 04, 2013 Sean rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Author of the popular Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus books, John Gray goes beyond the topic of men/women in this book and addresses the more fundamental aspects of how to be happy. He doesn't take the tact of some books the profess to teach you how to aggressively go after everything you've always wanted, always reaching for more. This also isn't a book that tries to teach you to just accept what life has to offer, being happy with what you already have. Rather, Gray takes a middle road ...more
Ann
Oct 25, 2014 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book with practical advice on dealing with your feelings and getting beyond some of the stumbling blocks that keep you from being happy. It's written on a level that is not "preachy" but uses some common sense approaches to solving your issues. This is one of the better "self help" books that I have read.
Carleen
Feb 20, 2016 Carleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Doing too much is sometimes the result of not believing in your power to attract and create success." -John Gray

"Nice people deny their wants and needs for the good of all." -John Gray

"Resentment is a clear sign that you have been giving to much in the wrong direction." -Joh Gray
Geert
Jun 30, 2015 Geert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
talks about the different stages in life. What it is when we are 'missing something'.

talks about love tanks and how to deal with different emotions.
Soha Mohamed
Feb 23, 2014 Soha Mohamed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It'a clear and detailed step by step guide to achieve what u want and remove life blocks... Amazing..
Yukio Flexfactor
Helped me move forwardforward in a time of darkness in my life.
Mohammed Garad
Apr 20, 2016 Mohammed Garad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the books that really amazed me on how to explain the stages of your life. I was looking for why so many people get into crisis while they are ageing, so this one explained it very well. However, keep in mind that people go through different circumstances but overall their patterns are the same.
I really recommend this book for people who are 24-29 years old because they have many questions about how fulfil life.
Dustie
Jul 28, 2013 Dustie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mindfullness
Charmin
Jul 22, 2016 Charmin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: growth
Highlights:
1. Keep wishing for what you want (intention) and keep your heart open (acceptance).
2. Do your best. Surrender to god for the rest.
3. Personal success –the ability of getting what you want and wanting what you have.
Nancy Faye
Oct 27, 2008 Nancy Faye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The general information in this John Gray book is something I refer too often. Gray gives insights on how to break thru bocks to success. This book introduced at least a decade ago still attracks loyal fans.
Stacie
Jan 09, 2016 Stacie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
Joy. Love. Confidence. Peace.
Marwa
Aug 29, 2012 Marwa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Learned new concepts, it was like a guide teaching you how to apply the whole idea of "The Secret". I hope the next book is as good as this one
Sian Bussingham
Another self help book that I am not going to do the exercises in, though I really like the love tanks idea to work out if your life needs balance.
Armand
Mar 15, 2010 Armand rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Positive self help feel good book with inspiration from meditative thoughts on honoring desires and unblocking resisting thoughts.
Stephen Harrison
Jun 27, 2012 Stephen Harrison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Easy to read and full of useful ideas and processes for working out own needs and how to manage our emotional worlds.
Author Ruby Binns-Cagney
I was learning about psychology and found the topic of this book intriguing, and refer to it now and then.
hissi
BORING i was disappointed since i LOVE his best seller, men are from mars women are from Venus.
Hessam
Nov 14, 2012 Hessam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is straightforward..... clearly a result of psychological research....
Jessica
Decent book, but I didn't choose to finish it. Nothing too inspiring though.
Areej Alkanderi
It is a very helpful book. But in some way i found it a bit boring.
  • Shadow Dance
  • Women Who Think Too Much: How to Break Free of Overthinking and Reclaim Your Life
  • Take Time for Your Life
  • The Courage to be Rich
  • Open Your Mind to Prosperity
  • End The Struggle And Dance With Life: How To Build Yourself Up When The World Gets You Down
  • Coping with Difficult People
  • Self-Esteem: A proven program of cognitive techniques for assessing, improving and maintaining your self-esteem
  • Girlfriends: Invisible Bonds, Enduring Ties
  • Empires of the Mind: Lessons To Lead And Succeed In A Knowledge-Based World
  • Healing Your Emotional Self: A Powerful Program to Help You Raise Your Self-Esteem, Quiet Your Inner Critic, and Overcome Your Shame
  • الثبات
  • Love Your Body
  • Living with Death and Dying
  • How to Raise Your Self-Esteem: The Proven Action-Oriented Approach to Greater Self-Respect and Self-Confidence
  • Dare to Win
  • Write It Down, Make It Happen: Knowing What You Want And Getting It
  • The Power of Verbal Intelligence: 10 ways to tap into your verbal genius

John Gray is an American author on relationships and personal growth, best known for his 1992 book Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus, and other "pop psychology" books offering relationship advice.

He was previously married to fellow self-help author Barbara De Angelis, but they divorced in 1984. He is now m
More about John Gray...