Start by marking “Scarecrow (Jo Banks, #1)” as Want to Read:
Scarecrow (Jo Banks, #1)

Scarecrow (Jo Banks #1)

Briefly departing from her Doctor Fenimore stories, Robin Hathaway brings readers Dr. Jo Banks, a young female doctor practicing in Manhattan. When a little patient dies, Banks blames herself. Unable to face her life, she runs—leaving her lover, driving away from New York and through New Jersey without a destination on the highway or in her life. She stops at a motel, and ...more
Published April 7th 2003 by Minotaur Books (first published April 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Scarecrow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scarecrow

Aug 13, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it
#1 in the Jo Banks series. The debut of an unfortunately short series by the late author who also wrote the Dr. Andrew Fenimore series.

Dr. Jo Banks leaves her NYC medical practice after the death of a young patient. Driving aimlessly to South NJ she stops at a motel and circumstances cause her to decide to set up a practice there. She gets involved with an unusual Czech family, a bowman, and some strange goings on that center around the immigrant Milac family.
Bobbie N
Feb 12, 2016 Bobbie N rated it really liked it
SUMMARY: In this first of the series, Dr. Jo Banks blames herself and flees Manhattan following the death of a young patient. She stops for the night in a motel and, after treating another guest who had suddenly taken ill, is asked to stay on as physician to the motels and residents in the area. She accepts, and soon finds herself embroiled in a series of disappearances and murders. COMMENTS: Excellent, readable, and enjoyable; can’t wait for the next one.
Marisa Young
Oct 01, 2015 Marisa Young rated it it was ok
A Manhattan doctor decides to set up a practice in rural New Jersey as a motel doctor and soon finds herself investigating a mysterious couple. Liked the character - needed better plot.
Jan 01, 2010 S.D. rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-cozy
Jo Banks is a doctor who is taking a rest from her profession after a young patient dies. She drives to parts unknown and lets caution be her guide, leading her to a small town and a motel where she plans to spend the night...until her services are needed. This small tourist area has a number of motels all in need of some type of house doctor they can call upon during emergencies. With free room and board and office space, Jo take them up on the offer. But someone is murdering farm workers and l ...more
Jacob Peled
Mar 17, 2016 Jacob Peled rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1-stars, suspense, _2016
In most cases the introduction to a book, will cover either the first chapter or the first 10 pages. In that book it seems to cover a quarter of the all book. I mean nothing is really happening. As you may understand, my review is targeting people that love action. I thought this book was from the medical genre, but it seems that I was mistaken, at least for the 30% that I was able to go through. Seems more like maybe Drama mixed with mystery and crime, but in very slow pace. Any way I was readi ...more
Rita	 Marie
Apr 17, 2014 Rita Marie rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-mysteries
Got me thru an insomnia/sciatica attack, but even half-asleep and in pain I noticed a massive use of coincidence in this super-lite mystery. Not impressed.
Sep 30, 2016 Lisa rated it liked it
This is a review of the three books in the Jo Banks series, Scarecrow, Satan's Pony, and Sleight of Hand. All three make interesting light reading, with a little more depth than that statement implies, and I like Jo's character and the supporting characters. The three stars only are for lack of a "wow" factor, but these are better-than-average little mysteries.
Feb 23, 2015 Sonia rated it really liked it
Definitely a good read!
A fun mystery, with the kind of characters that feel like family. It was easy to pin down who the bad guys where, but the crime caught me by surprise. I'll be watching for more and recommend them to my friends who like a quick read.
Oct 03, 2012 Grace rated it liked it
An enjoyable light read. Predictable as to who the "bad guys" are. A nice way to spend a couple of hours though.
Mar 06, 2012 Leslie rated it really liked it
There were flaws in this story but it was a fast read and not too bad...I finished it in a day..
Sandra Spartz
Sandra Spartz rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2016
Onyx marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2016
Julia Baker
Julia Baker rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2016
Megan Maddocks
Megan Maddocks marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Paula marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Sarah rated it liked it
Feb 22, 2016
lianne frary
lianne frary rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Susan rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Carol marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Kathy Jones
Kathy Jones marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2015
Jr added it
Nov 10, 2015
Geri marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Cheryl rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2015
Mariah added it
Sep 24, 2015
Lindsey rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Robin graduated from Germantown Friends School and Smith College (BA/English). While her two daughters were young she owned and operated a printing/advertising firm Barnhouse Press from her home (there was a printing press in the barn and one in the house) and did freelance writing and photography. One daughter claims she was lulled to sleep by the methodical beat of a printing press in the kitche ...more
More about Robin Hathaway...

Jo Banks (3 books)
  • Satan's Pony (Jo Banks, #2)
  • Sleight of Hand (Jo Banks, #3)