Start by marking “Face” as Want to Read:
Face

Face

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  349 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Orphaned and severely deformed, from her earliest moments Sarah Sims has been kept hidden away in a secret CIA facility--until an unexpected discovery gives her an opportunity to make a life for herself at last.

Now Sarah has an ally, a long-lost aunt who has discovered her true identity. Aided by this brave psychologist, twenty-year-old Sarah must find the courage to confr...more
Published March 1st 2008 by Harlequin Enterprises (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Face, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Face

Carolyn
I am now a fan of Angela Hunt. Her books are intriguing because of their unique, thought provoking plots. This one is of a psychologist aunt trying to help her newly discovered niece, who has a severe physical deformities, have a life away from her work. The girl has been locked up in a facility since her birth without normal contact with other children her age, all because of the fear she would be unkindly treated by the world. She has had many surgeries to repair most of her deformities so she...more
Carli
Actually I think this one should be 3 1/2 stars. This is definitely a character-driven novel (which is my favorite kind), and it allows us to get inside the head of the two main characters; Sarah, a young woman with Treacher-Collins syndrome (a condition that causes severe facial deformity)who was orphaned under mysterious circumstances, and Renee, Sarah's aunt who for two decades doesn't even know that Sarah exists. Sarah currently works for the CIA in a top-secret capacity as a technological g...more
Kayle
This is actually my second time through this book. I read it several years ago, and it really stuck with me. Recently, I was at my local library and they had a shelf of books that they were giving away for free. I snatched it up, of course, because I had liked it the first time I read it and because I just can't help myself when there are free books to be had.

I liked it just as much the second time through as the first. I have never read another book that has dealt with themes of beauty and its...more
Stephanie
Mary
Orphaned at birth, Sarah Sims has been kept hidden away in a secret CIA facility due to the fact that her father was a covert CIA agent. She was born with Treacher-Collins syndrome which resulted in her being born without a face. The CIA paid for surgeries for her so that she would be able to have basic functions of eating, hearing and speaking. But the surgeries stopped at a certain point so that she has a "freakish" appearance.

Sarah has developed keen computer skills that the CIA has put to u...more
Deb
How much of our identity is tied up with how we look? That is a question the reader will ponder while reading this novel about a young woman with a severe facial disfigurement. To make things interesting the main character, Sarah Sims, lives in a secret CIA enclave where she works as a computer expert. This makes things difficult for her aunt, Renee, a pyschologist who always thought Sarah had died at birth but then stumbles upon evidence that her niece might still be alive. Trying to find out t...more
Freud's Nightmare
Told from the alternating perspectives of Sarah and her Aunt Renee, The Face takes a thought-provoking look at personal identity, self-acceptance, emotionality, and the significance of life experiences – all without drawing attention from the heartwarming story. Cleverly disguised within an original and entertaining plot, Hunt examines important ethical issues currently found in both medicine as well as psychology, even managing to communicate their application to the general population in daily...more
JoAnn
What an interesting, well written book. This is not an overtly Christian book, but I think some of the themes in it could be used as a jumping off point for a very interesting discussion.
Certainly there is love and sacrifice, but there is also the idea of identity and how our inner and outer selves affect one another. There is also the idea of taking the risk to break out of the safe, but stunted place we are in to participate in a world full of beauty and danger and the richness of emotion and...more
Michelle Nix
I almost didn't read this book because I thought it might be disturbing. Man am I glad I did!! So, so good. Characters were great. I didn't want it to end and wish there was a sequel to check up on how Sara is doing! Don't miss this one!!
Lori
I enjoyed this suspenseful novel very much. The plot is quite unusual, involving the CIA, the world of psychology, the medical field of facial transplants, and loving sacrifice. The dialogue is believable and the characters are well-developed.
Megan
I can's decide whether to give this book a 1 or a 5! It was really good and believable but the ending was (SPOILER ALERT!!) really sad. Then the epilogue was happy. I gave it a 5 because for the most part I really liked it.
Sandy Snavely
This is such an incredible book. I have recommended it so many times that I feel like I should just have some cards made out and hand them to fiction lovers everywhere.
Rhonda
I have read other books by this author and they were REALLY good, I didn't feel this one was up to "her" par.

Sarah was born with Treacher-Collins syndrome--basically she didn't have a face. Swept away at birth, after being orphaned, to a facility operated by the CIA, she never left the facility she came to know as home.

Meanwhile, her (unknown)aunt Renee, while going through her mother's belongings, reads some documents suggesting that Renee's brother's baby was NOT stillborn, but is alive. Ren...more
Clara Dearmore Strom
A good thought provoking book. Who are we and how much of it has to do with how we look. Sarah was born without a "face". Her only identify is as a CIA agent. She works and lives in a world of secrecy. It's not until a long lost aunt finds her and introduces her to her potential as a wonderful lovable human being that she blossoms, but the reality of pain comes with knowing love. Okay, I just did a mini book talk. The writing is great and don't be afraid if you see this in the Christian section...more
Megan Rogers
This was another book by Angela Hunt that really got me thinking. How would I treat someone who looked different or even frightening? I am not talking about someone who has alot of tattoos or dressed wierd, but someone who was born with a major facial, or another obvious, defect. I think it would be human nature to look twice, but would we shush our children and turn away, or would we attempt to show them Christ's love? This is not really a book review, just what I recall the book made me think....more
Lyndi
WOW! Without blowing the whole book, that is about as much as I can say regarding the ending! Has a smidgen of romance, CIA, spies, covert ops, what you would think to be sci-fi medicine (but in the authors notes, it said it is real). Really liked and would recommend. This is a slam dunk again by this author. My only slight complaint, was that I didnt feel it had as much about Christianity involved with several of the characters.
Nicole
Poorly constructed novel with slow plot development. Although author presented an interesting concept, the execution was weak. The book was way too long at nearly 400 pages! Several typos were present, including in the very first sentence of the book. A few thought-provoking questions were raised concerning emotional pain and memory implantation, which was interesting. Other than that, this book had little to offer.
Maam
Jackie
This book was very entertaining but I have to say it seems to be a different path spiritually than her other books. I found about zero religion in it. I usually like books that are full of faith. The good news was that while it was not a religious fiction per se it was a "clean" book with no romance, sex or anything else that I prefer not to read. I read i pretty fast and did enjoy it
Terri
I'm reading this on my Kindle, so I don't know the page #, but I'm maybe a quarter of the way through it. It's starting a little slowly, but seems to be picking up. I'm enjoying the story line.

The story picks up just a little way into it and throws you some twists and turns. Once I got to the part with the twists, I was truly hooked and couldn't put it down.
I find that Angela Hunt's books fall into two categories: first, the typical Christian fiction book with a heavy spiritual message or a well-researched contemporary book with a twist like "The Face". Very engaging, believable, lots of things to think about afterwards... just some of the great things I can say about this story. I hope Hunt writes more along this vein.
Melissa
Though the first few pages were confusing, the rest of the book was understandable and exciting. It doesn't make much mention of the Lord--just one brief mention of faith and prayer--but at least there is no cussing or sex. If you like spies, computers, and medicine, then you will probably like this, written in a fast-paced yet thought-provoking way.
Chris
A very good read. I learned about a birth defect I never knew anything about. (Had to search on the internet) There wasn't a lot of religion but the author did weave in some positive points. The book was about family, spying, covert assignments and an ending I wasn't expecting. It was a quick enjoyable read. I would read other books by this author.
Shellys♥ Journal
I've kind of been on an Angela Hunt streak. This is typical of what I've read so far - deeply troubled female needs to overcome personal obstacles to excel. A sprinkling of God here and there. I found this one quite engaging - although still a light read. And I guessed the ending, but not all of it. I liked the story, wish there had been more of it.
Jeanne
This wouldn't be a typical book for me to read. I accidentally found it and i am pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed reading what I would normally consider fluff. It is a poignant tale of waking from a deep sleep and seeing the sun for the first time. The sun warms but it also burns and blinds.
Heidi
Really enjoyed this book. Very thought-provoking. Kept my attention the whole way through and I wasn't ready for it to be over! The ultimate sacrifice was given so a young lady could live again, a new life outside walls. Inspiring. Always loved Ms. Hunts books and this one didn't let me down.
Janelle
The Face shows Angela Elwell Hunt at her best. This is a gripping tale, with complex characters and challenging moral dilemmas that defy easy or pat answers. Although the plot is deceptively simple, it keeps the pages turning until the very last bittersweet moment. I thoroughly recommend it.
Sharon Shoemaker
Angela's books are always wonderful. The Face had me sitting on the edge off my seat wanting to know what would happen. As usual, Angela tackles current controversial issues. She makes the reader think as she entertains. The unexpected ending will amaze you.
Geokowgurl
This was a really good story. Suspense, romance, action, drama, all rolled up into one story! This was the first book that I have ever read of Angela Hunt's, but I will be sure to check out her other ones based on my reading experience with this one!!
Journeywoman
My first finished book of 2009 was mistakenly put in the Romance section. This was espionage and science-based fiction. Once I got over waiting for the romance to start, I really settled down to enjoy this book.

I recommend it.
  • In Sheep's Clothing (Mission: Russia #1) (Steeple Hill Women's Fiction #25)
  • Time Lottery
  • Covenant Child: A Story of Promises Kept
  • Gone to Ground
  • Sworn to Protect (Call of Duty, #2)
  • Deadlock (John Hutchinson, #2)
  • The Passion of Mary-Margaret
  • How to Succeed at Being Yourself: Finding the Confidence to Fulfill Your Destiny
  • Home Another Way
  • The Island of Heavenly Daze (Heavenly Daze #1)
  • Sisterchicks Go Brit! (Sisterchicks, #7)
  • The Splitting Storm
  • Bittersweet (California Historical Series, #2)
  • Daisy Chain
  • Winter Birds
  • Three Weddings and a Bar Mitzvah (86 Bloomberg Place, #4)
  • Try Dying
  • Riven
Christy-Award winner Angela Hunt writes for readers who have learned to expect the unexpected in novels from this versatile author. With over three million copies of her books sold worldwide, she is the best-selling author of more than 100 works ranging from picture books (The Tale of Three Trees) to novels.

Now that her two children have reached their twenties, Angie and her husband live in Florid...more
More about Angela Elwell Hunt...
The Tale of Three Trees The Note Doesn't She Look Natural (The Fairlawn Series #1) The Debt The Novelist