Start by marking “A History Of Marriage” as Want to Read:
A History Of Marriage

A History Of Marriage

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  154 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
What does the "tradition of marriage" really look like? In A History of Marriage, Elizabeth Abbott paints an often surprising picture of this most public, yet most intimate, institution. Ritual of romance, or social obligation? Eternal bliss, or cult of domesticity? Abbott reveals a complex tradition that includes same-sex unions, arranged marriages, dowries, self-marriage ...more
Published December 29th 2009 by Penguin Canada

To ask other readers questions about A History Of Marriage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A History Of Marriage

Emma Sea
Here's my problem with this book: not enough references.

When Abbot tells me that in the 19th century anal sex was "common" between married het couples (p. 161) I want a reference. Please.

While there are references in the book, and a large bibliography, these are somewhat lacking in the first half, on the historical evolution of marriage. I just don't know how much of this book I can trust.

It's very comprehensive and wide-ranging, but the writing isn't that enjoyable. I wouldn't suggest reading
Tiffany
Sep 23, 2010 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
This was a fascinating and very thought provoking book. The title does not reveal the wide range of subjects that are tackled: the history of marriage traditions (where that white dress came from!), the struggle of women for their rights (in the past, once married a woman was no longer a legal entity and became the possession of her husband... makes you realize that marriage was never very romantic at all until recently), history of spousal abuse, contraception, attitudes towards sex, divorce, g ...more
Steve Watson
Apr 14, 2015 Steve Watson rated it really liked it
Really interesting overview of how marriage has and hasn't changed over the centuries in North America and before that, in Europe. Moves toward some pretty incisive review and commentary regarding contemporary debates and discussions of marriage.

A number of random things that interested me:
-Rings have been warn on the fourth finger of the left hand since the 16th century or earlier because that was where "a vein connected to the heart, just as the couple was sexually and emotionally united." (55
Ingeborg
Feb 10, 2015 Ingeborg rated it did not like it
Now that I have read this one, I Don't: A Contrarian History of Marriage seems waaay better then when I read it this summer. It is all a matter of expectations. Or lowering them, as you go along ... If I compared the two - I Don't: A Contrarian History of Marriage would definitely get 2 stars, but now it's too late.

The problem of Elizabeth Abbott's book is a complete lack of focus, the fact that the intended audience is not clear (who are the meant readers of this book?), or the overall purpose
Ahmad Saidullah
Elizabeth Abbott, a writer of intelligence and grace who wears her learning lightly, has penned a masterpiece that deserves a pride of place on any bookshelf. Her History of Marriage is a wide-ranging account of how the social intersects with many forms of the personal. The book is full of insight, openness and style. An outstanding work that deserves as many readers as can be found. If only all scholars were as deep, unblinkered and wrote half as well…
Deodand
Feb 19, 2013 Deodand rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, asia, usa, conan
There are some interesting tidbits in here, but no new information to me. I felt that the prose read as statement after statement - almost as if Abbott could footnote each sentence of the book. There should be more citations in the text to support her arguments. Perhaps this was done to keep the book more approachable to a pleasure-reading audience?
Sara Elise
Jul 04, 2014 Sara Elise rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
the past was horrible, the end.
Jenny GB
I received a free copy of this book through Goodreads First Reads.

Abbott writes engagingly about both the history of marriage (primarily in North America specifically America and Canada) and the current status of marriage in recent decades. I would have liked to see a more global perspective, but I understand her hesitation about expanding her scope due to what that would do to the size of the book and her lack of personal immersion in those cultures she would be discussing. Her subject material
amanda
like man, idk, this is the kind of problem i have with a lot of pop history. it reads well in parts. it drags in parts. but it’s the authorial voice intruding all of the time in such a chatty way that i really can’t stand. sometimes it works, if you’re a mary roach or a melissa mohr, but mostly you’re a todd mcleish or a robert sullivan, or in this case, an elizabeth abbott.

it was obviously well-researched so the parts where she chose just not to put a footnote or a cite stuck out especially an
Jacqueline
Jul 01, 2015 Jacqueline rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the first half (a European and N American history) much more than the second (an analysis of modern marriage, gay marriage, step families, divorce, etc.). Appreciated her taking a good amount of space to discuss slave marriages and the effect of residential schooling on Aboriginal marriages and family ties.
Marc
Jul 21, 2014 Marc rated it it was ok
The first half was focused on the history of marriage and was interesting. The second half devolved into a list of issues with current marriage and read like a textbook two stars for the first half.
Lindsay Elliott
A History of Marriage is a very interesting and educational book. The perspectives of each time period and how they reflected on society is extremely well presented throughout the numerous chapters. I enjoyed the progression of the book as it started with a very early history of marriage and gradually worked up to the modern age and how marriage is viewed and handled now, as well as how it touched on the future of marriage and where it might be headed. Marriage has become an extremely curious th ...more
Ioana Zorbescu
Jun 21, 2014 Ioana Zorbescu rated it it was amazing
Really well-written and informative. I liked how it was professionally written without delving deeply into gobbledegook, and how objective most information was presented (though the author's personal thoughts were appreciated)
Rich Mccue
Aug 08, 2014 Rich Mccue rated it really liked it
A good overview of how western culture has arrived at it's current conception of marriage. The transformation that marriage has undergone over the centuries is fascinating. It was interesting to see the reaction of my children when I told them that marrying for love is a fairly recent innovation. I recommend this book.
Mags
Well written and enjoyable to read!
Softness
I enjoyed this book. Following the history of humans through their relationships and marriage dynamics was quite an eye opener. It was also a little depressing to see the same mistakes repeated over and over with each new century. This book covered more issues than just marriage. It dealt with racial issues, gender issues, children's rights, human rights, divorce, family living arrangements, family issues during war time, treatment of immigrants, and many other topics. It covered European histor ...more
Kaija
Mar 07, 2014 Kaija rated it liked it
It's a good book if you're looking for a one that contains a lot of information on marriage it's very good.
It's very much a textbook that would be used in University.

I did find that most of the time it seemed to have a very negative views on the lives of females. Mind you, maybe hat's due to the fact they really had a horrible time overall, but maybe it's biased.
Jill
May 28, 2015 Jill rated it really liked it
This is an interesting view about how marriage has evolved over the centuries. Some of our ideas and definitions of relationships and marriage are not founded on accurate perceptions and assumptions of how marriage has functioned in the past.
Emma
Jan 29, 2011 Emma rated it liked it
The historical information found in this book was very well presented but Part 2 dealt primarily with present issues facing marriage and it was much less interesting. If you are looking for a book on history; only read Part 1. If you are interested in the state of marriage today; this book is probably an excellent choice.
Teena in Toronto
Jul 04, 2012 Teena in Toronto rated it liked it
Shelves: canadian
This is a big book (460 pages) about everything you ever wanted to know about marriage!

It was really interesting to learn about marriages before the 20th century. I would have been a lousy wife back then! I can see why some women were happy to be spinsters ... that would have been me.
Deb
Jan 01, 2013 Deb rated it liked it
It had some interesting moments, and it had some dull and pedantic moments, I found the writing a bit pedantic and dull, and too much time spent in the early chapters on just a few specific cases.
Ada
Apr 29, 2012 Ada marked it as to-read
so far so good. on my to-read list for a while now. knowing it is a relationship trilogy and the last of the set, but decided to read first before history of mistresses and celibacy.
Avril
Jul 22, 2012 Avril rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sexuality
Not bad. Preferred the first half, on history, to the second, on contemporary issues, which was very heavily focused on the USA and Canada. But a good summary.
AJ
Nov 27, 2011 AJ rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars.

This book really dragged at times, and I can't say it taught me anything really earth shattering or new. That said, it was interesting at times.
Lucy
Apr 15, 2014 Lucy rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fascinating; could cure anyone of romanticizing the "family values" of the past.
Deirdre Kelly
Feb 17, 2011 Deirdre Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating and thoughtful history by Toronto scholar Elizabeth Abbott.
Lisa Beth
Aug 08, 2011 Lisa Beth rated it it was amazing
Covered different cultures and views of marriage. Great read
Seán Ó Séaghdha
An interesting book, but a bit unfocussed.
Shannon Coates
Nov 13, 2011 Shannon Coates rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Surprising
Eye-opening
Compelling
Lisa
Nov 20, 2010 Lisa rated it really liked it
A mass of information, covering cultures and ages!
  • The Vagina: A Literary and Cultural History
  • $pread: The Best of the Magazine that Illuminated the Sex Industry and Started a Media Revolution
  • Considering Hate: Violence, Goodness, and Justice in American Culture and Politics
  • I Don't: A Contrarian History of Marriage
  • Queer Phenomenology: Orientations, Objects, Others
  • The Lesbian and Gay Studies Reader
  • Eve's Herbs: A History of Contraception and Abortion in the West
  • Pedagogies of Crossing: Meditations on Feminism, Sexual Politics, Memory, and the Sacred
  • Readings for Diversity and Social Justice: An Anthology on Racism, Sexism, Anti-Semitism, Heterosexism, Classism, and Ableism
  • Virgin: The Untouched History
  • Marriage, a History: From Obedience to Intimacy or How Love Conquered Marriage
  • Beyond (Straight and Gay) Marriage: Valuing All Families under the Law