Start by marking “Notebook for Fantastical Observations” as Want to Read:
Notebook for Fantastical Observations

Notebook for Fantastical Observations (The Spiderwick Chronicles - Companion Books)

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,494 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
In the final installment of Beyond the Spiderwick Chronicles, Nick and Laurie had thought they solved their giant problems when they drove all the giants into the sea. But now, the Grace kids have come back to tell them they may have more trouble coming their way!

It turns out the giants control the population of Hydra, a dragon like creature that is creating sinkholes al
Published September 8th 2009 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published May 31st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Notebook for Fantastical Observations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Notebook for Fantastical Observations

Ker Malkin
Ahh.. the advantage of having siblings in school. They haul books from their library then I get to read each one they pick.

This book's basically just a collection of stories from children who had encountered magical creatures before; and there's this note/analysis attached to each one of 'em (technically, it's about the creature's nature in a particular encounter). Also, this book contains some activities which you might find really nice. Too bad this was from my brother's library. Being a book
Sannie Hald
I wish I had this as a child
Flora
Jul 12, 2010 Flora rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, I enjoyed being able to create my own spiderwick-style world.
Steven R. McEvoy
May 03, 2012 Steven R. McEvoy rated it liked it
This was the first book in the Spiderwick world I was disappointed with. I bought the eBook and cannot figure out why the publisher released an e-version of this book. It is intended to be a workbook. There are 14 chapters in this book, alphabetically named after the creatures encountered.

The sections are:
Sprites
Stray Sod
Trolls
Unicorns

Each section has a story written by someone who has had an encounter with the Fantastical,
Katy Jane
Apr 13, 2014 Katy Jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1. I got my copy of this book from the library so I didn't get the fun of getting to write and draw in it, but I loved the stories.
2. A lot of children have the Sight apparently.
3. I would seriously love this book when I was a kid.
4. Definitely buy this book if you love the series.
Silis
May 07, 2015 Silis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These illustrations are soo....sooo good. Only bad thing to say is that I wanted it to be a hundred pages longer.
Francisco Becerra
This is a kid's dream come true. All the incentives and space to let your imagination run free.
xXKennyw WXx
Aug 27, 2015 xXKennyw WXx rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was so fun and I enjoy every part of it
Alleigh Waskie
it is so good it has a page where you can draw picture of a creature you saw.
Taylor
Feb 29, 2008 Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is kind of cute. you can draw and write in it and make up your own stories. my brother has this book and he had me looking at it all day one day, and it was pretty cute. i couldnt want one, but whatever. not really one whole story, but little short stories of the different creatures in the world. and then you get to draw them and do different little activities. my brother loves it.
Tori
Sep 18, 2012 Tori rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed it, read all five books in about a week! Much better than the film.
Tells the story of the hidden world of goblins, fairies and brownies and the man whom wrote a book about them a hundred years ago. Then three three children stumble upon this world.
Recommend it, but really easy read.
Connor23
this book is about all the creaturs in spiderwick so it tells you all about where they live what they eat what there names are and if there bad or good. if you read this book or the cronicles read this book first because you will under stand the books beter and what there tlking about.
Chiv
Oct 26, 2012 Chiv rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this 2 years ago so all I remember about this book is that it's just a compression of the actual notebook from the book series. It was an interesting read, I think there were blank pages to put your drawing and observation but I could be mistaken.
Abby
May 27, 2010 Abby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book is fun. I haven't written in it because I don't want to ruin it, but it does have a few short stories and other Spiderwick type information in it.
fun idea.
Tori
Oct 03, 2008 Tori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book is sort of for reading but more for writing in yourself. i own this one and are still trying to fill it out and i have had it for three years!!!
B Hensley
Aug 08, 2011 B Hensley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While I am full grown adult I just couldn't resist purchasing this. I think I in fact had far more fun with it than the children did.
Marya
Apr 09, 2010 Marya rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-fantasy
One of the stories in this book is of a 'monster in your bedroom' nature, and it totally freaked me, an adult, out.
Amelia
Mar 01, 2012 Amelia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seriously amusing... Personally, I adore the Phooka, and the Elves.

Trolls and Goblins freak me out.

Arman Izadi
An extra. It has related mini stories and fun little activities. Not bad, all in all.
Maka
Dec 30, 2014 Maka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice interactive books for children which will stimulate their creativity. :)
Quirky Louise
I enjoyed this book very much, but it wasn't as good as I expected it to be.
Theresa
Oct 21, 2013 Theresa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
supplement to add to the classroom library with the original stories
Heli Rita
nice and good story and how every one is a hero in its own way ...
Donna
Sep 11, 2012 Donna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: used-to-own
Exactly what it says on the box, no more, no less.
Amanda
Nov 30, 2007 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: jacque
Shelves:
my friend is letting me barrow this book,and it is awsome
Faithlyn
Sep 02, 2009 Faithlyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really cool. Had alot of neat stuff.
Sella Malin
this was a fun addition to the series.
Lyndsey
Feb 19, 2011 Lyndsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very neat.
Audrey Lee
Audrey Lee marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Àlex
Àlex rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2016
  • The Spiderwick Chronicles Movie : The Movie Storybook
  • The Wizardology Handbook: A Course for Apprentices
  • Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Letters
  • A Flower Fairy Alphabet
  • The Rainbow Wand (Fairy Realm, #10)
  • Secrets of the Gnomes
  • Spellsinger (Avalon: Web of Magic #5)
  • A Practical Guide to Monsters
  • Clemency Pogue: Fairy Killer (Clemency Pogue #1)
  • Finding Meridian (W.I.T.C.H. Chapter Books, #3)
  • The Mystery of the Stolen Bike (Arthur Chapter Book, #8)
  • The Practical Princess and Other Liberating Fairy Tales
  • Fairie-ality: The Fashion Collection from the House of Ellwand
  • Nate the Great and the Monster Mess
Holly Black is the author of bestselling contemporary fantasy books for kids and teens. Some of her titles include The Spiderwick Chronicles (with Tony DiTerlizzi), The Modern Faerie Tale series, the Curse Workers series, Doll Bones,The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, the Magisterium series (with Cassandra Clare), The Darkest Part of the Forest, and her new series which begins with The Cruel Prince in J ...more
More about Holly Black...

The Spiderwick Chronicles - Companion Books (4 books)
  • The Chronicles of Spiderwick: A Grand Tour of the Enchanted World, Navigated by Thimbletack
  • The Spiderwick Chronicles: Care and Feeding of Sprites (Spiderwick Chronicles)
  • Arthur Spiderwick's Field Guide to the Fantastical World Around You