Start by marking “Stardust” as Want to Read:
Stardust

Stardust

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  207,039 ratings  ·  10,235 reviews
Op een tintelende oktoberavond doet Tristan zijn geliefde Victoria een belofte die zal leiden tot het wonderbaarlijkste avontuur van zijn leven.
Published September 2007 by Luitingh (first published February 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Stardust, please sign up.

Kirsten Munro There is more sexual themes and gruesome details but if you have seen the movie i think you will be fine. I love both the movie and the book.
There is…more
There is still a lot of romance though it is not a childlike fairy tale. The romance is more realistic.(less)
Charles Wheeler There are some adult themes and some mild violence, but nothing gratuitous. The story reads like a fairy tale and reminds me a lot of The Princess…moreThere are some adult themes and some mild violence, but nothing gratuitous. The story reads like a fairy tale and reminds me a lot of The Princess Bride. I'd say the book is appropriate for pre-teens but maybe not for small children.(less)

L.h.
Dear Mr. Gaiman,

Damn you. Damn you straight to hell. You've written beautiful faerie stories in your plainspoken postmodern prose, and left my own projected frontiers woefully trodden. It has nothing to do with your brilliance. Had I been born before you I would most likely be the one writing clever novels about fallen stars and sly gods. I would've, I swear!

But instead, I was born forty years too late, and your Faerie, Neil, -do you mind if I call you Neil? Your Faerie, like all of your creatio
Ariel
Inevitably I was reading this against the movie, and I'm here to say that I think the movie and the book are both brilliant. So ha!

I love the movie. It's absolutely wonderful. And I loved the book. .. But they are quite different. The novel definitely feels more adult. Not because it has "adult themes" just in the overall tone and language. The movie is definitely more "family friendly." The movie is wittier and funnier and sillier and faster paced, and the book is slower and more whimsical and
Jen
Feb 06, 2008 Jen rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Die-hard Neil Gaimon Fans
Shelves: fantasy
Kirstine
This is the one case, the ONLY case (so far), where I prefer the movie to the book. I know it's a sacrilege and you can all burn me at the stake, but it is nonetheless the truth. It's also one of the few times I watched the movie before reading the book, simply because I had no idea the book existed. And I loved the movie. I mean, really, really loved it.

So of course when I discovered it was based on a book, I rushed to get it. Now, please don't get me wrong, it's a good book. It's a very very
Emily May
The more Gaiman I read, the more I understand why people are so caught up in the magic he wields. Because that is basically what he does. He's not an author, he's a magician, painting magic pictures of rich, exciting worlds that come to life so quickly. Worlds that somehow seem complexly developed after just two chapters of Gaiman's writing. Gaiman is simply a master storyteller. He creates moods that permeate entire novels and, whether you happen to be reading his adult or young adult works, he ...more
Lola
*3.5 of 5 shooting stars*

description

‘‘For a kiss, and the pledge of your hand,’’ said Tristran, grandiloquently, ‘‘I would bring you that fallen star.’’ He shivered. His coat was thin, and it was obvious that he would not get the kiss, which he found puzzling.

The main heroes of the penny dreadfuls and shilling novels never had these problems getting kissed.

‘‘Go on, then,’’ said Victoria. ‘‘And if you do, I will.’’

‘‘What?’’ said Tristran.

‘‘If you bring me that star,’’ said Victoria, ‘‘The one that just
Kathryn
Since I saw the movie before I read the book, I must preface my review with that fact since a comparison between the two was inevitable and, moreover, greatly influenced my opinion of the book. I loved the movie! I liked the book. Unlike most book-to-film adaptations, however, I felt that the movie had more character development and more details; and, indeed, more heart and more humor. I cannot objectively consider the merits of the book because I missed so many aspects of the movie-story as I r ...more
Kat Kennedy
Quick question: how many Daleks does it take to conquer Neil Gaiman?

Answer: I don't know - since I am a blasphemous wench and have never seen a Doctor Who episode. Nor do I actually know what a Dalek is and what it does.

To add to my nefarious ways, I'm also not a Gaiman fan (though not for lack of trying!)

Clearly, whilst I am a scifi fan - I'm not the RIGHT kind of scifi fan!

It's rather like two Star Trek fans meeting on the street:

"So which episode of Enterprise is your favourite?" The first T
Bookworm Sean
I hate Tristan Thorn, though I do suppose that everybody has been in his shoes at one point in their life. Everybody was young once and everybody has been naively in love with someone they barely know. I can’t blame Tristan for his natural puppyish passions, he is only seventeen after all, but I can hate him for it nonetheless; he is completely unbearable at the beginning as his love-sick foolishness knows no bounds. Indeed, when Victoria Forester, the woman he thinks he in love with, agrees to ...more
Savanna
My high expectations for this book (the first I've read of Gaiman's) were badly disappointed. The writing was poor, the story cliché and shallow, and the content problematic. I've read that Gaiman is better with graphic novels, and that seems likely. He obviously has some talent, so I'm hoping this book is just a miss.

One issue I had with Stardust was the writing itself. Gaiman tries to write an "adult fairy tale" with what I think are terrible results. The tone is light-hearted and sarcastic, b
Maciek
To tell the truth, I didn't believe it was possible. My copy of "Stardust" promises so much just by images on the cover - and the volume is so slim, barely reaching 200 pages. How will all these events and characters fit in such slim space? - I asked myself, and started reading on the evening of October, 2nd. By 4AM, October 3rd, I learned that not only it is possible, but also that Neil Gaiman is a talented, gifted writer with gorgeous imagination and invaluable, rare talent for recreating the ...more
Tadiana ✩ Night Owl☽
Neil Gaiman and I have a love-hate relationship, and I hope that bothers him as much as it bothers me. He's a gifted writer and I keep thinking that I ought to love everything he writes, but so far his books have struck me either as:

• so bizarre and off-putting that I couldn't get into it <---American Gods,
• hauntingly beautiful but kind of confusing <---The Ocean at the End of the Lane, or
• having a marvelous setting but being a little on the predictable side <---Neverwhere.

Stardust f
Jean Menzies
This book was my favourite read of Neil Gaiman's so far! Not that I didn't love the two I had previously read but this was also the first adult book of his that I've read and that definitely made a difference. There was no holding back and I loved the mixture of magic, adventure, intrigue and romance that surrounded this novel. Neil Gaiman is ever the clever and witty writer and this came out in a whole new way for me in this adult novel.

Tristran lives in the town of Wall that borders the land o
Jonathan

Stardust follows the adventure of one Tristran Thorn from his unusual birth through to his eventual marriage. Well this is a modern fairytale for older audiences after all. He desires to win the love of one girl called Victoria whom he names the most beautiful of all. And to win her love he must hunt down a star fallen from the sky who has ended up deep within Faerie. And so begins a most unusual adventure at once reminiscent of The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland an
Robin (Bridge Four)
Very cute adult fairytale.

I think this is one of the few times that I preferred the movie to the book. That isn’t to say that I didn’t like the book but I think the movie expanded on a few of the ideas and the ending was very different. I might have liked the movie more only because I loved it and I saw it first.
Ben
I can only do fantasy novels every so often; I much prefer literature. Still, I find it important to read these things on occasion, because they provide such an excellent escape: that leap into worlds that are nothing like ours; the way they enable our going beyond ourselves and render us capable of expanding our consciousness; the way they can temporarily alter us in ways non-fantasy novels are incapable. We could all use that kind of escape once in a while.

And Stardust was great for just that.
Jason Koivu

A magically good read!

Stardust has been the most fanciful Neil Gaiman book I've read so far. This farcical fantasy might be a tad silly, but he makes it work. I felt drawn to the main characters, repulsed by the villains and enchanted by the story and imagery. It has a bit of an everything-in-the-fantasy-genre-and-the-kitchen-sink feel to it and some might say that many of the elements are not unique. But in my eyes, this is a Gaiman original masterpiece, regardless of what ingredients he used.
Haley
It is my experience that the movie versions of books are usually not as good as the book itself. So after watching the movie, I thought I was in for a real treat.
but I was wrong.

In Gaiman's defence, this book was written in the style of an old adventure story or Grimm brother's tale- not so much description or character development. But while that sort of writing may work for a short story, It gets old in a full-length book. (though I'm glad it was a book- otherwise we wouldn't have the movie!)
Lyn
I have heard Stardust by Neil Gaiman described as a fairy tale told for adults, and I think Gaiman himself said something of the kind. That is as succinct a description as comes close to this very entertaining novel.

Actually it is a Faerie tale, since Gaiman depicts a journey into that magical world and the village of Wall, which is a “boundary” between the two worlds. Though the author pays homage to nineteenth century storylines, he eschews the flowery language and opts for more post-modern p
Branwen *Blaidd Drwg*
"He stared up at the stars: and it seemed to him then that they were dancers, stately and graceful, performing a dance almost infinite in its complexity. He imagined he could see the very faces of the stars; pale, they were, and smiling gently, as if they had spent so much time above the world, watching the scrambling and the joy and the pain of the people below them, that they could not help being amused every time another little human believed itself the center of its world, as each of us does ...more
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
Wavering between 3 and 4 stars, so I'll settle with 3.5

I saw the film years ago before I'd even heard of Neil Gaiman, so I had no idea it was based on a book. The movie is one of my favorites as far as fairy tales go, and after finishing the book, I have to say that it's an excellent modern fairy tale (though very much a mature one, considering it involves sex and violence more so than the fairy tales I grew up with). It's written very much in the vein of Grimm's or Andersen's classic stories, a
seak
I've always considered myself a Neil Gaiman fan, but then I realized how can that be? Yes, I watched the movie Stardust and I DID read Good Omens...but wait. I never actually read a book solely by Neil Gaiman.

What kind of fan does that make me? A terrible one (if you were wondering about the answer).

But now, all that's changed...kinda. I'm still a crappy fan, but a fan nonetheless, one who's actually read a book solely written by the author. This will also not be the last. I loved Stardust.

The
Kim

"There was once a young man who wished to gain his Heart's Desire."

So it begins. Fine. Yep. These are the stuff fairy tales are made from-blahblahblah. Sure thing. What else you got?

I really don’t get the point of this novella. I mean, yes, I see that there once was a man who made a journey to capture the uncapturable (a fallen star) for the woman that he loves. Wait. Does he really love her? Do I really care? I spent half the book thinking his name was Tristan not Tristran, so I guess the answ
Farah
Dear Neil Gaiman,
Anda ganteng.
Terima kasih sudah menulis kisah luar biasa ini.
Dengan jalan cerita yang begitu indah, mendebarkan, cerdas, serta manis jalinannya.

Anda benar. Orang dewasa terkadang membutuhkan dongengnya sendiri.
Saya, yang saat ini berumur 27 tahun, masih belum sepenuhnya berani mengklaim diri saya sebagai orang dewasa.

Ada kalanya saya merasa terperangkap di dalam tubuh berusia 27 tahun, sedangkan jiwa saya masih irresponsible dan childish layaknya anak berusia 14 tahun.
Iya, saya
John Beeler
I saw the movie first, and read the book second.

Gaiman does a great job of convincing readers that the world of Fairie could and does exist. And like all good fantasy, it's clear that the borders don't stop with his pages. Indeed, that the movie expands on aspects like the three witches and the lightning pirates, where the book spends barely any time at all, shows that there's many more stories to tell in the world of Fairie.

Gaiman is out to make an adult fairy tale, and I suppose he does, but
Kevin
I am becoming something of a Neil Gaiman fan. It started, as much has these days, with my Kindle. I was browsing for some inexpensive books that I could read and stumbled upon Stardust. And just to prove how clueless I can be, I didn't realize this had been made into a movie until after I had finished reading it. I was vaguely aware that the movie had come out but I just never made the connection between the book and movie in my mind (more about my reaction to the movie later.)

I enjoyed American
Elaine
Tristran Thorn vows to the love of his life that he will venture out into the world and catch a fallen star and bring it back to her as proof of his love, starting this magical fairy tale adventure story that is great fun to read. It has all the right elements – a quest, witches, faeries, magic, ghosts and unicorns which all combine to make a cracking little read. I first read it a few years ago and this was my second read and whilst I remembered the “hook” of the story, there was still plenty t ...more
Brenda
The town of Wall was set amidst a small forest a long drive from London – to the east of Wall was built, many years ago, a high rock wall (which was how Wall was named), each end of which entered the woods. Midway along was the one and only break in the wall, which was guarded day and night to stop anyone, but children in particular, from passing through the wall and entering Faerie, a magical place where they would likely never return. Once every nine years, on May Day, a fair would be held jus ...more
Restricted Sectio...: Stardust - FULL DISCUSSION 9 64 Sep 02, 2015 08:30PM
Restricted Sectio...: Stardust - NO SPOILERS 31 178 Sep 02, 2015 08:24PM
Fictional Fortress: Pre-discussion Thread - Stardust 1 7 Aug 26, 2015 10:10AM
The Not-So Austen...: Stardust 21 45 Aug 04, 2015 01:40PM
Crazy for Young A...: Stardust by Neil Gaiman → Start Date: July 20th 2015 5 13 Jul 20, 2015 08:38PM
Impression Parade...: May 2015 - Stardust by Neil Gaiman 15 13 May 26, 2015 07:26PM
  • Jack of Kinrowan
  • The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There (Fairyland, #2)
  • Wintersmith (Discworld, #35; Tiffany Aching, #3)
  • Tehanu (Earthsea Cycle, #4)
  • A Fine and Private Place
  • Alphabet of Thorn
  • Fables, Vol. 8: Wolves
  • Conrad's Fate (Chrestomanci, #5)
  • Snow White, Blood Red
  • Tam Lin
  • Across the Wall: A Tale of the Abhorsen and Other Stories (Abhorsen)
  • Lud-in-the-Mist
  • The Woman Who Rides Like a Man (Song of the Lioness, #3)
  • The Black Cauldron (The Chronicles of Prydain #2)
  • Thomas the Rhymer
  • The Last Light of the Sun
American Gods (American Gods, #1) Coraline The Graveyard Book Neverwhere The Ocean at the End of the Lane

“She says nothing at all, but simply stares upward into the dark sky and watches, with sad eyes, the slow dance of the infinite stars.” 2712 likes
“Have been unavoidably detained by the world. Expect us when you see us.” 801 likes