Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner

Python Programming for the Absolute Beginner

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  10 reviews
If you are new to programming with Python and are looking for a solid introduction, this is the book for you. Developed by computer science instructors, books in the "for the absolute beginner" series teach the principles of programming through simple game creation. You will acquire the skills that you need for practical Python programming applications and will learn how t...more
Paperback, Third Edition, 480 pages
Published January 1st 2010 by Cengage Learning PTR (first published August 11th 2003)

Pierre
I actually self-taught myself computer programming with this book. The text is easy to understand and follow, even for beginners. Concepts are presented clearly and concisely and with a bit of humor. The exercises are challenging, but not impossible. This book won't turn you into a coding guru, but it teaches you the basics of how computer programs work.
Gene
This was my third "go" at trying to grasp Python. The first was via an online tutorial, the second was from a different book that I had borrowed. I felt this book did a better job than the tutorial of teaching the fundamentals and was much better than the other text. A big strength was the end of chapter questions and projects. It forced me to really learn some concepts that I wouldn't otherwise have grasped. I now have a better feel for Object Oriented Programming than I did before. The book wa...more
Alex
Python is a high-level programming language built on the philosophy of making easily readable code. While it usually carries a performance penalty compared to some other languages, I think the coding process is a lot friendlier with Python.

This book gives a good tour of the language, in an interesting way, by working through multiple video game programs.
Scannerdarkly
I love the challenges this book has at the end of a chapter.

This book is great, right up until you reach chapter 8, software objects. Why did the introduction of object-oriented programming made this book a joy to read into a headache. Read on...

Credit to the author, Python is a very big OOP language and you get to start making things and solving the problems (actually learning how to solve and code) straight away, but do understand Python can be programmed procedurally, without the headache of...more
Harry Lawrence
Python is a brilliant programming language to start with if you're a beginner and this book is equally good as a tutorial for the basics.

Though the examples are mostly centred around game development, they are definitely applicable to other fields. I am using it myself for my mathematics degree as it was actually recommended by one of my lecturers.

You will start right from the very first steps of programming and by the end you should have a good knowledge to expand on and use for whatever purpos...more
Jason
This book was the assigned reading for an introduction-to-programming class that I recently completed.

I am one of the "absolute beginners" referred to in the book's title. :) The tone was enthusiastic and encouraging throughout the chapters. I would recommend this book to other absolute-beginner programmers.
Ly
Problem based learning, fun, easy to follow, absolutely for beginner.
Good book for kids and everybody, especially who have failed Python or programming before.
JP
A solid introduction, and one I would recommend as a first Python book. I liked the way used simple examples suitable for further experimentation.
James
Okay as a basic introduction but not something I would refer back to.
Jeremy
Apr 28, 2010 Jeremy is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it, on-lend, reference
Lent to: Mark Stewart

And I have Dan L's copy
Steven C
Steven C marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Shannah
Shannah marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Alex
Alex is currently reading it
Apr 07, 2014
Andreas Kontokanis
Andreas Kontokanis is currently reading it
Mar 30, 2014
Lap0fvw
Lap0fvw is currently reading it
Mar 25, 2014
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Tony Gamboni
Tony Gamboni marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Muty
Muty marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Al Wahid
Al Wahid marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
Evan Backer
Evan Backer is currently reading it
Feb 24, 2014
John Crosby
John Crosby is currently reading it
Feb 22, 2014
C. Diggory Rycroft
C. Diggory Rycroft is currently reading it
Feb 20, 2014

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Beginning C++ Through Game Programming Beginning C++ Game Programming (Premier Press Game Development) The Consumer Trap: BIG BUSINESS MARKETING IN AMERICAN LIFE Growing Up Yanomamo: Missionary Adventures in the Amazon Rainforest Shadows on the Borderland (Runequest)