Start by marking “Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1)” as Want to Read:
Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1)

Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables #1)

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  514,844 Ratings  ·  13,040 Reviews
"She'll have to go back." Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert had decided to adopt an orphan. They wanted a nice sturdy boy to help Matthew with the farm chores. The orphanage sent a girl instead - a mischievous, talkative redhead who the Cuthberts thought would be no use at all. But as soon as Anne arrived at the snug, white farmhouse called Green Gables, she knew she wanted to ...more
Mass Market Paperback, Special Collector's Edition, 314 pages
Published May 1st 1982 by Bantam Books (Classics) (first published 1908)

To ask other readers questions about Anne of Green Gables, please sign up.

Dawn At that time, yes. This book was written in Canada in 1908. In the mid and late 1800's, redheaded Irish immigrants flooded into the eastern U.S. and…moreAt that time, yes. This book was written in Canada in 1908. In the mid and late 1800's, redheaded Irish immigrants flooded into the eastern U.S. and Canada, due to widespread social injustice and starvation in Ireland. They were heavily discriminated against for generations afterwards. Her red hair marks as a likely Irish American and, therefore, she was probably shiftless and a criminal.(less)

Shannon
Feb 17, 2009 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Strong Girls or those are raising them
Recommended to Shannon by: Mikkee, Tiana
I don't often give books five stars and as I neared the end of this book, I gave some thought to how many stars this book deserved. I've read the Anne of Green Gables series once before - over twenty years ago. In spite of the amount of time that has elapsed, I clearly recall reading the last book in the series very slowly and thinking to myself, "I will be so sad to not be able to read about Anne anymore." When I picked up this book a few days ago to re-read it, I found within a few chapters th ...more
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads

Anne, my lovely, I feel restored.

"Marilla!" Anne sat down on Marilla's gingham lap, took Marilla's lined face between her hands, and looked gravely and tenderly into Marilla's eyes. "I'm not a bit changed—not really. I'm only just pruned down and branched out. The real me—back here—is just the same. It won't make a bit of difference where I go or how much I change outwardly; at heart I shall always be your little Anne, who will love you and Matthew and dear Green Gables more and bette
Maxwell
Nov 28, 2016 Maxwell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I never read Anne's story when I was younger, so when I heard that Rachel McAdams was narrating the first in the series I knew I had to give it a go. I'm a sucker for a celebrity-narrated audiobook (if you haven't checked out Maggie Gyllenhaal's reading of The Bell Jar, do that now!).

It's wonderful to read a story that, for the most part, is extremely uplifting. There's hardly anything truly terrible that happens in this story, and that's quite refreshing. Granted, it is a children's novel and
Maureen
Oct 19, 2015 Maureen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Dear old world," she murmured, "you are very lovely and I am glad to be alive in you."

This quote really accurately depicts how Anne lives her life and what makes you love her as a character. She's stubborn and makes mistakes, but she also has a huge imagination and sees the world as beautiful and full of possibilities.
I loved this SO much and I'm sad I never read it before! I love all the characters and the plot, and it's really fun to see Anne grow up through this book. The writing is also rea
Cait • A Page with a View
Never have I ever related more to a fictional character than Anne. This is just the most adorable, heartwarming book ever and I honestly don't think I ever read it before this week! I have the movies practically memorized and they follow the books perfectly, so there was nothing terribly new in this story. The only obvious difference was that Gilbert isn't in the book as much.

But seeing Anne ramble on and on for pages more than made up for that. I just have to stick some of my favorite quotes i
Yaz *The Reading Girl*
Finally: Full review written December 17th, 2013 and edited the 19th:)

***5 beautiful "Kindred Spirits" stars!!***

description

Sighs...Anne of Green Gables and her crazy doings will forever stay in my heart <3. Can there be such a crazy, beautiful, kindred spirit soul as Anne? No, I do not think so (there are two exceptions: Miranda Cheever and Penelope :D). This precious book is the first out of the many books in the Anne of Green Gables series.

I think many of you know what Anne of Green Gables is about
Samantha Penrose
Mar 07, 2008 Samantha Penrose rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Ive decided that instead of reviewing this book, I will copy my favorite passages....passages that capture what I love about the book.....
Page 180 describes Anne perfectly, "The downfall of some dear hope or plan plunged Anne into "deeps of affliction." The fulfilment thereof exalted her to dizzy realms of delight."
I love the way Anne thinks...I love the way she jumps from thing to thing in a frenzy of thoughts.....

Page 44 the chapter begins..."Do you know," said Anne confidently, "I've made up
Raeleen Lemay
I read half of this when I was a kid, but for some reason I never finished it! I'll definitely pick it up again someday....
helen the bookowl
Jul 27, 2015 helen the bookowl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first time reading "Anne of Green Gables" and I thoroughly enjoyed it. This is a children's book, and so I was expecting a story with a lovely protagonist and some lovely and educating morals, and that's what I got. Anne is simply lovable from the very beginning where she's being fetched by Matthew on the train station to come live in Green Gables. She's highly enthousiastic about everything from the trees to the birds and the brook, and sometimes she was a bit too enthousiastic for ...more
Samantha
Mar 19, 2016 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yup! Just as good as the last two times! <3
Jo
"I don't believe I'd really want to be a sensible person, because they are so unromantic."

A series of letters.

Dear Jo (aged 11),
Get off The Sims and pick up a copy of Anne of Green Gables and read it now. It will change your life.
Best wishes,
Jo (aged 22)

Dear Ms Montgomery,
I would like to take your beautiful prose and drape it over the washing line in my back garden to create a mystical den that only I and my friends may enter.
Who would I have to talk to for this to happen?
Rebecca McNutt
I didn't think I'd like this book at first, but it turned out to be amazing! Anne herself is a lovable character and her antics and adventures are at times funny, at times sad and at times exciting. The Canadian landscapes were vibrantly described and the vocabulary was wonderful. Anyone who hasn't read this book should definitely do so.
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*

I finally finished this book. It's easy to get into but not one to fly through, plus I've been in a reading slump this month.

Anne is a funny child - she's positive and hopeful and...talkative. It's impossible not to like her. As an adult reading this I understand Marilla because the child definitely was willful and up to getting into accidental mischief, although the beginning where t
Ahmad  Ebaid
Feb 06, 2016 Ahmad Ebaid rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: أدب
قرأت نسخة مختصرة، لأن العمر أقصر من أن أحيط بكل الروايات الكلاسيكية السابقة التي فاتتني, وأنا أريد فعلاً أن ألم بهم. لذا فالتقييم سيكون أقل مما قد تجده في النسخ الكاملة من القصص.

آن في التلة الخضراء، للكاتبة الكندية لوسي مود مونتجمري

"بطلة حكاياتنا الفتاة التي تخجل شعرها الأحمر, آن"

فتاة نحيلة بسلوك بري

Mar 21, 2013 Ingela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every young girl I know
Loved by me, 5 BIG Stars

photo chinup_zps09268183.gif
Amazing Anne Shirley you should be a role model for many girls. Brave, strong willed and with such great dreams and big imagination.

Gilbert Blythe was perhaps my first Book Boyfriend. Oh sweet, I was in love. Lovely, lovely Anne and Gilbert, what a good and nice young lovestory. Everything in this book series are wonderful. Then there's the great TV series.*) I loved it all ... and still do.

I LIKE - enormously when I was young...

photo tumblr_lmws940vaG1qcn7d7_zps748c94b0.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*) The fun and wonderf
Alex Farrand
Alright, I liked it. It was a flat lined, static book, but Anne's personality made me like it. I thought this book was a cross between Little Women and the Little Princess. Little Women because there was no real climax to the book, but each chapter had it's lesson, but not as long and I didn't skim the last chapter. Little Princess because of her wild imagination to create stories. Then you add a character who has some flaws, red hair, and loves to talk in the mix and you have Anne of Green Gabl ...more
Anne

She danced up to the little looking-glass and peered into it. Her pointed freckled face and solemn gray eyes peered back at her.
“You’re only Anne of Green Gables,” she said earnestly, “and I see you, just as you are looking now, whenever I try to imagine I’m the Lady Cordelia. But it’s a million times nicer to be Anne of Green Gables than Anne of nowhere in particular, isn’t it?”

I'm so overjoyed to have finally read this. I've set my mind on reading more classics from now on, and I'll defini
Duane
When I read Anne of Green Gables I was admitted into the world of orphan Anne Shirley and her life in Prince Edward Island, Canada. I fell in love with her and her adoptive parents, brother and sister Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert. Mrs. Rachel Lynde, her meddling neighbor, and Gilbert Blythe, who would become Anne's lifelong love, were also introduced early in this book, the first of eight novels telling the life story of Anne Shirley. I've read every one and it remains one of my favorite series. ...more
Norah Sumner
MY HEART IS SO FULL RIGHT NOW.

description

I absolutely ADORED this book. I loved the writing so much and was surprised how lovely it is. The characters are, of course, already familiar to me but I think I love them even more now. Yes, I know, it's an unforgivable crime that I haven't read this book/series until now but maybe this was the perfect timing after all. Ah, I am so happy and content right now & I can't wait to continue this amazing journey with our Anne with an E.
Manybooks
Simply rating L.M. Montgomery's's Anne of Green Gables is (for me at least) ridiculously easy (five well deserved stars, and a permanent residence on my favourites shelf). That being said, and unfortunately, posting an actual review is proving both daunting and exceedingly difficult, for how do I review a favourite both childhood and adulthood comfort read in a way that is even remotely adequate, that not only shows my deep and lasting appreciation of and for Anne of Green Gables (and L.M. Montg ...more
Maggie
Jun 12, 2011 Maggie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Maggie by: Noelle
DRAMATIS PERSONAE ...................................... Anne Shirley

It's not often that a book lives up to its public-shaming-if-you-haven't-read hype. This book lives up to its 104 YEAR HYPE. I almost divorced my childhood for not reading this then. So many of the words that describe Anne are ones that too many girls are running away from today -- imaginative, impertinent, outspoken, smart, driven. If you have a problem with them, you can take it up with the slate being cracked over your head.
Melki
Aug 07, 2015 Melki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Well now, she's a real interesting little thing," persisted Matthew.

Truer words were never spoken when the whirlwind known as Anne Shirley comes to live with siblings Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert at Green Gables.

In one terrific example of cosmic trickery, the Cuthberts, who were hoping to adopt a boy to help out around the farm, are sent instead a garrulous and imaginative, red-headed girl. Matthew takes to her immediately. Marilla needs some convincing.

"Matthew Cuthbert, you don't mean to say
Lora
Sep 13, 2011 Lora rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of children's classics
Recommended to Lora by: Jo
Anne of Green Gables is the story of a young orphaned girl named, you guessed it, Anne. Born in Nova Scotia only to lose both of her parents from the fever at the age of three months, Anne has grown up in many households, never being able to stay in one place for long. As you can imagine, this has left young Anne feeling needy and unwanted.
And when siblings Marilla and Matthew decide to adopt a boy to help work on their farm, they never expect to get a girl instead. Naturally, their first instin
Franklin Peach
May 13, 2008 Franklin Peach rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, classic
To be brutally honest, I was disappointed. I found Anne quite often to be annoying and found my self skimming through many of her rambling soliloquies. Many (especially those of the female gender I suppose) may find her apt to talk ad nauseum to be one of her most enduring qualities, I however did not.

I discovered that it was difficult for me to continue reading once the characters had been established, that is I had no motivation to continue reading as there appeared to be no underlying plot to
Kathryn
Jan 07, 2017 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed visiting this story from childhood. I now know I want to go on and listen to all of them. I had forgotten many of the stories about Anne except for the red wine and the dyeing of the hair. Chuckled so many times. Well worth the reread.
Doug Bradshaw
Nov 05, 2016 Doug Bradshaw rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My kids and now my grandkids, love this book and some of them even went to Prince Edward Island recently to get a feel for the beauty of the island so perfectly described in the book. I started reading the book with one of my granddaughters recently, she was so excited to be reading it with me and I couldn't help but finish it.

What a stellar way to live in another time and place and to become friends with the fiery smart and lovable Anne (don't forget the "e"). Anne is an opinionated skinny orp
Jonathan Stroud
My daughter loved this book over the summer, one of the classics I’ve never read and it’s now firmly on my To Read list. JS
Ivana
Mar 29, 2017 Ivana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nebrojano puta sam je pročitala do sada i zaista je, svaki put, nešto posebno.
Becky
Aug 10, 2008 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, owned, reviewed, 2009
Let me just say up front: I loved this book.

I tried reading this when I was young, and I couldn't get into it. I was fairly prejudiced against it as well, because apparently I fancied myself to be some great judge of literature at 8 years old, and any time this book was mentioned I'd start right up with the "Oh, I couldn't get into that book... it's boring..." spiel and just write it off completely.

Luckily, a combination of factors converged at the right moment in time to allow for me to put a
Wanda
***Wanda’s Summer Carnival of Children’s Literature***

Finally, I met Anne of Green Gables. Honestly, it’s taken me so long that I’m surprised my Canadian citizenship hasn’t been revoked. (I never watched the TV show, either). I don’t know the source of my prejudice against the tale, but it was unwarranted. I quite enjoyed Anne with an E. It is definitely a tale of an earlier time in Canadian history.

Actually, in many ways it reminded me of stories that my parents told of the one-room school hous
Is it worth reading the whole series? 5 13 Apr 24, 2017 10:40AM
Austentatious Boo...: Part Two: Chapters 13 - 24 3 71 Apr 23, 2017 08:00AM
Austentatious Boo...: Part Three: Chapters 25 - END 2 84 Apr 22, 2017 05:29PM
Austentatious Boo...: * Part One: Chapters 1 - 12 9 140 Apr 14, 2017 03:31AM
Around the Year i...: Anne of Green Gables, by L.M. Montgomery 19 102 Apr 01, 2017 05:17AM
50 books to read ...: Anne of Green Gables 12 35 Mar 24, 2017 11:01AM
  • Heaven to Betsy (Betsy-Tacy, #5)
  • By the Shores of Silver Lake  (Little House, #5)
  • Rose in Bloom (Eight Cousins, #2)
  • Pollyanna (Pollyanna, #1)
  • A Handful of Time
  • Understood Betsy
  • The Secret World of Og
  • Kwiat kalafiora (Jeżycjada, #3)
  • All-of-a-Kind Family (All-of-a-Kind Family, #1)
  • Skylark (Sarah, Plain and Tall #2)
Lucy Maud Montgomery was a Canadian author, best known for a series of novels beginning with Anne of Green Gables, published in 1908.

The author of the famous Canadian novel Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery, was born at Clifton, Prince Edward Island, Nov. 30, 1874. She came to live at Leaskdale, north of Uxbridge Ontario, in 1911 after her wedding with Rev. Ewen Macdonald on July 11, 1911
More about L.M. Montgomery...

Anne of Green Gables (10 books)
  • Before Green Gables
  • Anne of Avonlea (Anne of Green Gables, #2)
  • Anne of the Island (Anne of Green Gables, #3)
  • Anne of Windy Poplars (Anne of Green Gables, #4)
  • Anne's House of Dreams (Anne of Green Gables, #5)
  • Anne of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables, #6)
  • Rainbow Valley (Anne of Green Gables, #7)
  • Rilla of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables, #8)
  • Anne of Green Gables: Three Volumes in One

“It's been my experience that you can nearly always enjoy things if you make up your mind firmly that you will.” 2892 likes
“Kindred spirits are not so scarce as I used to think. It's splendid to find out there are so many of them in the world.” 2595 likes