Start by marking “Reconciliation Blues: A Black Evangelical's Inside View of White Christianity” as Want to Read:
Reconciliation Blues: A Black Evangelical's Inside View of White Christianity

Reconciliation Blues: A Black Evangelical's Inside View of White Christianity

Merit Award, 2007 Christianity Today Christianity and Culture Book What is the state of racial reconciliation in evangelical churches today? Are we truly united? In Reconciliation Blues journalist Edward Gilbreath gives an insightful, honest picture of both the history and the present state of racial reconciliation in evangelical churches. He looks at a wide range of figur ...more
Published November 15th 2006 by IVP Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Reconciliation Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reconciliation Blues

Aeisele
Feb 22, 2016 Aeisele rated it really liked it
Shelves: ministry
There are two things I really love in a book. One is that it gives me a new lens to observe the world - my own experience or someone else's - and the other that it creates a reading list that I'll probably never get to.
This book did that for me. Gilbreath is very honest, and does a great job of displaying a world where those of us who have lived in the white evangelical world have not often seen, sometimes willfully, sometimes ignorantly. It's pretty sobering for me to think how I've participat
Rob
May 16, 2016 Rob rated it it was amazing
I think this one is a must read for Christians who want to grapple with the question "How do we confront racism?"

If someone is uninterested in that question, I am not sure that person could claim to be a follower of Jesus. How could we read Ephesians 2 or Mark 7:24-30 or John 10:16 or Acts 10-11 or Revelation 7:9-10 and not consider racism a great evil to be defeated and interracial friendship a Kingdom-of-God desire to be pursued?

Gilbreath is uniquely situated to tackle the issues of racism an
Pat
Jan 10, 2010 Pat rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: African-Americans or anyone truly interested in intelligent dialogue on the topic.
An excellent read on the issue of racial reconciliation within the evangelical church. If I have any criticism of the book, it's that it's not long enough. Race is such a complex issue that the author easily could have taken any chapter and really expanded upon it, doing an in-depth study.

As an African-American currently serving in a white evangelical church, I can attest to Gilbreath's handle on the issues that we face. It's comforting (in a strange way) to know that what I've experienced is n
Chris
Mar 29, 2008 Chris rated it it was amazing
Reconciliation Blues: A Black Evangelical’s Inside View of White Christianity
By Edward Gilbreath

I really enjoyed reading this book. In many ways I am trying to gain a clearer picture of what it means to be an evangelical Christian. I feel that Gilbreath addresses several issues found in evangelicalism that I have been thinking about recently. Growing up in an evangelical church, one aspect that I cannot ignore is the emphasis on individualism. Though I have gained a lot from knowing that Jesus w
Jody
Jul 05, 2008 Jody rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual, race
I’ve given up on racial reconciliation quite a few times. The first time was shortly after I discovered it due to my inability to sleep peacefully as I grappled with my newfound understanding of ethnocentrism. The second was when my Asian American husband and I left the segregated and monocultural Midwest for the more integrated and diverse landscape of the East Coast (where racism no longer exists, or so we thought…). The third was when the African American pastor of our mostly white urban chur ...more
Lynley
Feb 12, 2012 Lynley rated it liked it
I finished this book, but I couldn't decide what to write for the review so it has taken me some time to click the "finished" button. This book was a look at a whole new aspect of Christianity I have barely explored: the issue of race. I didn't know what to do with some of the things I read, that is until I went on the Civil Rights bus tour sponsored by my University. We spent 4 days traveling through Alabama, Georgia, and Tennessee learning about the civil rights movement and having discussions ...more
Dana_kendall
Aug 17, 2016 Dana_kendall rated it really liked it
I must thank the author for being courageous and writing this book. It's a reminder of how far we have to go in healing racial relations in the Christian community.
Kristi Collier Thompson
Jul 25, 2015 Kristi Collier Thompson rated it it was amazing
A must read for anyone interested in racial reconciliation, especially for anyone who's ever said "it's not a skin problem, it's a sin problem." Well researched and personal, both convicting and hopeful.
Steve
This is a heartfelt examination of a continuing problem in many, if not, most churches. 50 years after the civil rights movement Sunday morning still remains the most segregated hour. This problem goes both ways, in regards to race, and the fact that it is still an issue is keeping the modern American evangelical church from being salt and light in this country. The salt has lost its flavor and is in danger of being thrown out.
LaTricia
Jan 08, 2013 LaTricia rated it really liked it
I appreciated the book for a number of reasons. As a disciple feeling the call to racial reconciliation weighing heavily on my 20-year-old chest, Gilbreath's account has served both to affirm my past experiences in the church and to provide a meaningful picture of the journey to come. I am thankful for Mr. Gilbreath's candid yet gentle demeanor throughout the book.
Jaret
Nov 08, 2013 Jaret rated it it was amazing
Well worth the read. The style is accessable not overly academic, but it also has a lot of depth. It is mostly made up of personal stories, interviews and mini biograpies. Definitely recommend it for folks frustrated with the precieved lack of voices of color in the Evangelical movement and the institutional prejudice in the church and society at large.
Robin Groothuis
Dec 15, 2012 Robin Groothuis rated it really liked it
I like Edward Gilbreath's accessibility and conviction. He said a lot of things I've said and gotten blown off. But someone took him seriously enough to publish this book and I felt validated as well - even though none of it's gotten any easier.
Cara Meredith
Mar 05, 2016 Cara Meredith rated it really liked it
Ed Gilbreath is a needed voice when it comes to issues of racial reconciliation. I'm interested to see how the premise of the book would change, 10 years later, when issues of racial injustice are that much more prevalent a conversation.
Grace
Jun 03, 2008 Grace rated it liked it
I met the author at the Festival of Faith and Writing. Nice guy. The book raises a lot of questions and the answers he offers are mostly "I don't know"-- but at least that's honest!
Hannah Ely
Aug 04, 2008 Hannah Ely rated it liked it
This was a good book and made me think about race, which I suppose I normally don't. It was also a little boring, but I get disinterested quickly.
Steven
Steven added it
Sep 08, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Carl Witzig
Carl Witzig marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Benjamin Bedley
Benjamin Bedley is currently reading it
Sep 23, 2016
CeraMakaroni
CeraMakaroni marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Aroyehun Emmanuel
Aroyehun Emmanuel marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Ryan Fowler
Ryan Fowler rated it really liked it
Aug 05, 2016
Ben Fike
Ben Fike marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2016
Jesse
Jesse marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Jake
Jake marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Danaka
Danaka marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Evan
Evan marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Ashton Tassin
Ashton Tassin rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2016
Clifton Hickman
Clifton Hickman marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016