Start by marking “Counterfeit Lady” as Want to Read:
Counterfeit Lady

Counterfeit Lady (The Lady Trilogy #3)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  2,916 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Nicole was a passionate French beauty, kidnapped by mistake and swept accross turbulent seas...to be the bride of a stranger.
In eighteenth-century Virginia, the lush lands embraced the rivers that bounded the great plantations. There Clayton awaited his English lady...but when he showered his bride with ardent kisses, the woman he found in his arms was Nicole Courtalain!
Published February 1st 2004 by Pocket Books (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Counterfeit Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Counterfeit Lady

Sophie ♥
Rate: 3.5 stars

My third book from Jude Deveraux and she's definitely growing on me. I wasn't particularly taken by her Montegomery series but Twin of Fire was absolutely perfect. This was one was... Let's say I had mixed feelings about it. The ending just didn't sit well with me. I'm not even certain if the hero died or survived? Definitely not the ending the rest of the book (which was very impressive) seemed to build up to.

One thing I have come to love about this author is that she builds up t
Christine
Not one of Deveraux's best. I didn't care for Clay, and I thought Nicole should have taken up Wesley on his offer of marriage. That's never a good sign for a romance, is it?

Despite all that, I did enjoy the first half of this book. A case of mistaken identity resulting in Clay marrying the wrong woman was a nice setup, and the ensuing drama was good. But about halfway through they both declared their love to one another, and as I noted the number of pages still left, I set it down and started r
Bree
I have read a lot of Jude Deveraux in the past. I don't remember reading this book so I gave it a chance this past week. Everything was good. Not enough romance..they spent a lot of time apart fighting. The ending was bad though...it just stopped. I had a library copy and I checked to see if it really was the last page or if someone ripped the last chapter out.
Anisashraf

Because I don’t like the ending. The ending is just like simple without perfect scene. I want something more, maybe HEA scenes.

"Clay!" she protested.

He leaned back on the grass, with the unicorn free at last. "You once said I thought you weren't worthy to touch what Beth had touched. What you didn't understand was it was I who was unclean." He lifted himself on one elbow--he had little strength after smashing the glass-and dropped the unicorn down the front of her dress. He gave her
Heather
Really good book, but it didn't end right. It's also part of a series so that could be the reason that it didn't end exactly right.
Salena
The writing style in this book was juvenile, at best. There was no elegance to it at all. I don't ask for much from a book, honestly, but I'd like it if I didn't get thrown off so much by how much it felt like something a pre-teen had written.

Also, "OMG, Bianca is so totally a fat slut. Like, she's fat so obviously she's bad. And look at her eat. She eats like a pig. How could she eat so much food. She should die." I swear, there wasn't a time Bianca made an appearance that somebody didn't have
Gen
god I hated this book so much- which is really weird cause I love love love Deveraux- of the 20 or so books I have read of hers so far I've loved everyone- except for this one. It had everything that I hate in romance books that i usually don't find in Deveraux books. Misunderstandings that would clear up if people would just talk and people being so stupid and taking the high road to protect someone else by sacrificing themselves. I hated everyone in the book so much it made me want to abandon ...more
Anne Marie
I surprisingly really liked this book, even though it got frustrating like the previous book, Sweet Briar, I read by this same author. I don't like it when people don't communicate and tell each other what's going on! In love or not, people can't read minds! I also feel these "historical romance" books are frustrating because of the time periods. In this particular book, just the fact that it takes so long to travel and get messages across leads to frustration. Clay, the main character, could ge ...more
Jen
Nichole Courtlain is a French refugee who has been working as a maid for Bianca in England. When Clayton Armstrong sees Bianca he has to have her for his own, but she refuses to come to America. Clay decides to take matters into his own hands and kidnap her and marry her by proxy so once she arrives in America, she can't leave him. Clay's plans go awry when the kidnappers take Nichole and not Bianca. However; Clay gets lucky in that Nichole is an amazing, passionate, loving woman and makes a gre ...more
Aicha Frikha
i read the lost lady then the river lady and theb this one book and of the 3 THIS IS THE WORST,the plot it barely hofing up toghether, there is no depth at all in the caracters she has created, it is as if jude deveraux, sat one morning on her desk and said ok i'm gonna write somthing, and she started adding up the ingredients without paying attention was she was actually writing, the only thing i likes is it had given me some insight into leah simmons childhood which more than explains some of ...more
Angieleigh
Nicole Courtalain is hiding out in Britain during the French Revolution, which claimed the lives of her parents and grandfather, to avoid being beheaded when she is kidnapped while driving the young woman she tends to. Bianca is more than happy to tell the kidnappers that Nicole is actually Bianca, afraid of being raped or actually touched by one of the men as she has a very confusing fear of men in general. Nicole finds herself on a ship set for America with a boisterous blonde woman named Jani ...more
Red Austin
The truth is that I hate the hero which I think is a very different point to start with, but indeed very satisfying and positive as well. Miss Jude Deveraux wanted her readers the same way I am feeling and she was and is successful in doing it! But then again, Miss Jude has her way of making the reader fall in love with the hero as well -which is insane actually; nevertheless, I loved the fact that I am once again, in awe of everything in the story -in awe of how greedy people can be, how much t ...more
Melodie
3.5 Stars

I really liked the beginning of the story; the plot was intriguing and not very complicated. After that I feel that too much is happening to the H and h. It left me bewildered and not very pleased. I feel like the story would have been better if the plot would be shortened to cut out some of the conflicts toward the second half of the novel.

I really liked both Nicole and Clay when the story started but as the story goes on, I became impatient with those two. Nicole felt in love with h
Penelope
1/3 of the book read - I'm still interested
2/3 of the book read - Why do I feel like I'm running around in circles

I did finish the book because this is my first Jude Deveraux book and I really want to give it a chance but instead of the fluffy feeling, the warmth, and contentment, I get the headache. Now, I don't know if I'll read another one.
M
Truth be told, I didn't like it. The first half, yeah I did and I started loving Clay and Wes too but then, Bianca came in the scene and I started hating it. And another truth is, this is my most hated book of Jude Deveraux. It's so full of drama at the end and I just put it down once I started hating it. Up until know, I'm still contemplating if I should read it again or not.

I recommend for you to read A knight in Shinning Armor cause it's one of my personal favorites. If you like romance and a
Charmaigne
HATE the Ending... Became dragging after the second half.. Was good at first with its brilliant plot and all, then it went downhill from there.
Moira
I like Nicole the best of all the female leads in this series. She had gumption and a spine to balance her weaknesses and fears. Plus, the mill house sounds awesome.
Candice
Gripping! I really enjoyed reading this book, more for the fact that it was well written and always had a surprise around the corner then for the storyline. There were too many sex scenes which I skipped. But in the end third of the book Judy brushed past them which I preferred.

There were a few story line faults, which had me yelling at the characters to simply communicate!! And a but of back and forthing - will I, won't I, stuff.

I always enjoy learning some non-fiction in my fiction for some br
Mona
Utter waste of time. Total junk. I've been reading Deveraux's books by the order in which they were published, and was starting to think perhaps she was evolving a bit as a writer. She has quite a following, who say her later works are quite good. It's recommended that you start with the early books, because many of her books are intertwined and there's a lot of back-story. But after this one I don't know if I can keep reading, hoping eventually to find the good book(s). After 9 books without a ...more
Karen
So I have a bag of romance novels because I want to make a craft with the covers, but I actually read (most of) this one, and it was just awful. The plot was the everlovin' worst, the romance wasn't romantic, and the sexytimes weren't sexy. The male main character was whiny and failed to take care of business... I couldn't understand why the girl liked him. Also, I found it really disturbing that the moment he decides he has the hots for her is the same moment in which he thinks she looks like a ...more
Ana
Yuck! What an inane book! Sheesh ... the hero is so lame... Meh
Valarie38hotmail.com
Truly loved this book.
Diane
This story had my attention once Nicole was kidnapped. The author has a way of getting you cheering for some characters and hissing others--just like in the old movies and plays of the villian, the hero and the damsel.

I really could feel the emotions of the characters, and the ride was a good one. The twists and interactions were very believable. You could tell from the beginning the attraction that Clayton and Nicole had for each other, and their passion and love kept drawing them together.
Linda
An historical romance, a kidnapping with mistaken identity working out better than anyone could think until the real intended turns up =/
Fluff, love and angst that didn´t resolve until the last page *gasp* (i wanted to strangle that piglet Bianca more times than i want to admit) 3,75 Stars (when it continues to get worse even if you think it´s impossible .. . ) I would have loved to see more happy times for Natalie and Clay
Cheryl
Really good book. Enjoyed the scenery of Virginia plantations on the river, very similar to my Wellington series. I really liked Nicole's character the best, such a sweet selfless person. Loved it when she and Clay were together and how they fell in love. I got a little aggravated with some of the twists and turns towards the end, but it had a great ending.
laurenpie
I liked the part about chocolate!

An interesting and enjoyable read, with a particularly spunky and engaging heroine. The culture-shock between French, British and American (revolutionary-era) cultures was fun.

If I remember correctly, I think this novel was tied for my favorite romance when I was young.
Alisha
Great book! like all the others I have read from this author. However, I would have liked either a couple extra pages to the ending or an epilogue. Didn't like how it just all of a sudden ended. Although the continuity of how all 3 books in the series end the same way was nice.
Loved this book. This is a three book series and Jude Deveraux gets your attention from the beginning. Your heart is pulled in right away. This book is well written and keeps your attention till the end and still wanting for more. Looking foreward to part two.
Fabrienne Villarin
What an awful read! Seriously?? Having killed the heroines lovd ones, shipping her off to a different country twice, having her kidnapped, killed and to top that, a very cowardly hero???? Come on!! Its a complete waste of time..
  • A Holiday of Love (Westmoreland, #3.5)
  • Devil's Daughter (Devil, #2)
  • When Love Awaits
  • Once a Knight (Knight, #1)
  • Come the Spring (Rose, #5)
Jude Gilliam was born September 20, 1947 in Fairdale, Kentucky. She has a large extended family and is the elder sister of four brothers. She attended Murray State University and received a degree in Art. In 1967, Jude married and took her husband's surname of White, but four years later they divorced. For years, she worked as 5th-grade teacher.

She began writing in 1976, and published her first bo
More about Jude Deveraux...
A Knight in Shining Armor The Black Lyon Highland Velvet The Velvet Promise Velvet Angel

“I've come to realize that life is what you make it.” 9 likes
“I have many things I want out of life, but I'm practical. I know that I must wait to get what I want.” 6 likes